legotownlinz

LEGO Trains 2021

I really had my hopes up for the Canadian Train, but when I saw there'd be 57 entries in this selection they were muted a bit. TLG only really usually picks one or two...and there's a lot of competition.

Still, my fingers are crossed...

16 hours ago, Mr Hobbles said:

I really had my hopes up for the Canadian Train, but when I saw there'd be 57 entries in this selection they were muted a bit. TLG only really usually picks one or two...and there's a lot of competition.

Still, my fingers are crossed...

This batch of 57 is going to be absolutely brutal. The competition is tough and it all depends on if LEGO wants to do a new train set.

It also depends on which LEGO Ideas project they think will sell the most. While trains aren't the most popular, many people are just begging for any new train set. Although it may not sell to everyone, people who are hardcore about this train would buy 2 copies and that would help make up for its lower popularity. This would also be a LEGO Ideas / 18+ product that really upsells Powered Up components, train tracks, as well as multiple copies of the set itself. 

The Canadian is not that popular in comments whenever people mention their LEGO Ideas predictions. There are many people who also like the set very much, but don't think or know if LEGO would make it. When I looked back at comments for previous LEGO Ideas review predictions, not too many people were talking about the Typewriter or Motorized Lighthouse at the time, yet those were some that got picked. It seems like LEGO is targeting people who are like 40+ for some of these recent LEGO Ideas sets. LEGO also loves making $200 sets lately, so this is a set that fits that price range. I feel like you get a lot of great stuff in the box for $200 :P

It could even be 4W and perhaps run on teethed tracks :wink:

Would be a nightmare to integrate in most cities though ..

3 hours ago, Poodabricks said:

I want a subway

A subway could be AWESOME to see, and it's one of several possibilities that I think could be a lot more feasible thanks to the new road baseplates with connection points on their underside. Same with sewers, for that matter.

That said, for a subway station to be viable in a set and not just in MOCs, it'd likely have to be big enough to include a hill/incline, so that extensive modifications aren't needed to connect the roads or sidewalks above the subway station to other sets with roads or sidewalks that AREN'T elevated. That said, I do think that this could theoretically work, since a lot of light rail/metro systems include tracks both above and below ground level.

And just how would you integrate a building with a subway section in a City that doesn't have a single set going below those roadplates you seem to like so much?

2 hours ago, 1974 said:

And just how would you integrate a building with a subway section in a City that doesn't have a single set going below those roadplates you seem to like so much?

I guess I wasn't clear, but I was suggesting the possibility of using inclined terrain so that you don't have to elevate the entire layout, just the roads and structures that have tunnels, basements, or sewers underneath them. Make no mistake — designing that sort of stuff and mantaining street-level access would be a challenging undertaking any way you slice it! Even more so if you're a set designer aiming to maintain compatibility with other City sets, as well as a consumer-friendly price point. I do not think we're likely to see a set like that any time soon, especially when there are so many simpler/more straightforward uses of this road system that LEGO has yet to explore in sets (bridges, level crossings, tramways, parking lots/parking decks, etc).

But it seems to me like this sort of thing would be at least a little more feasible using the new road plates than it did with traditional road baseplates, since their connection points are a little friendlier for attaching them to an underlying structure. And I'm eager to experiment with this sort of stuff in my own MOCs, or to see MOCs from other people that explore similar possibilities.

I don't know if you meant your comment to sound dismissive/condescending, but it kind of came across that way. Rest assured, I recognize that you don't like the new road system, and I have no intent on trying to change your mind about that. But most of the time, when I mention creative possibilities I've been thinking about for that system in a thread like this one, it's because those possibilities are exciting or inspiring to me — not because I'm trying to "convert" anyone.

The last thing I want is for this topic to turn into yet another debate of the pros or cons of the new roads. It's way more fun to collaboratively brainstorm new or exciting layout possibilities than to argue back and forth about what LEGO should or shouldn't do in the future!

Hidden Side would've had so much background for a subway, instead, it ended up more like a Facade to be used with the app, still the idea of an older flat-ended subway train might work well in LEGO.

tn_70430_alt6_jpg.jpg

I don't know if the 4 wide rail is still in production, but a 4 wide subway (6 wide train) set could still be interesting, not all subway trains are 100% underground either.

Edited by TeriXeri

Maybe not a subway train, but perhaps a rapid transit unit would be good. That way it wouldn't necessarily need to be underground. 

10 hours ago, Poodabricks said:

Maybe not a subway train, but perhaps a rapid transit unit would be good. That way it wouldn't necessarily need to be underground. 

Exactly, a heavy rail train that would fit well in a subway or elevated line but the set only contains a surface track and station. Rock raiders, miners and the like never came with a massive cavern even though they were set underground.

I think any subway would probably be an iconic one like the London Underground.  The best would be the 1972 stock of the Bakerloo Line in my opinion, having travelled on all the Tube lines at some point in my life.

I will not deny that I am biased in that I see Tube trains practically every day, but as far as I know London has about the most iconic subway in the world (which isn’t ever referred to as a subway by anybody British!)

Edited by Vilhelm22

31 minutes ago, Vilhelm22 said:

I think any subway would probably be an iconic one like the London Underground.  The best would be the 1972 stock of the Bakerloo Line in my opinion, having travelled on all the Tube lines at some point in my life.

I will not deny that I am biased in that I see Tube trains practically every day, but as far as I know London has about the most iconic subway in the world (which isn’t ever referred to as a subway by anybody British!)

As an American, I think there's a pretty good chance you're correct. Even though Americans are probably more familiar with the New York City Subway (which was North America's first subway system when it opened in 1904, and today is the world's largest rapid transit system by number of stations), the London Underground long predated it, and served as a template for subsequent subway systems.

Needless too say, the iconic London Underground map by Harry Beck and the London Underground roundel have similarly gone on to influence subway maps and branding all over the world (including in fiction and in LEGO sets, such as in the LEGO Ninjago set 70640). Moreover, even in places where people have more familiarity, nostalgia, and affection for their local lines than they do for London's, I'm not sure the trains themselves are regarded as distinctive and iconic as London's flashy red tube cars!

14 hours ago, Poodabricks said:

Honestly, LEGO City has had a few street-level trams along those lines, specifically in sets 8404, 60097, and 60271. It's just that so far, they haven't included track elements with them, same as how they generally haven't included roads for cars/trucks/buses. Now that roads are being included in more City sets (including these sorts of "Town Square/City Square/City Centre" sets) instead of just a separate supplementary product, I'm definitely hopeful that tramways might start appearing in future sets as well.

Granted, streets with integrated at-grade tramways might require new road elements, since there aren't really any curved tile pieces that would neatly fill in the inside of the various curved rail/track pieces that currently exist. But I do think we're likely to see working tramways in sets long before subways. Right now, I see working subway systems as more of a challenge for MOCists to experiment with (including novices like me), or a more distant hypothetical possibility for sets, not a likely reality in the immediate future.

3 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Exactly, a heavy rail train that would fit well in a subway or elevated line but the set only contains a surface track and station. Rock raiders, miners and the like never came with a massive cavern even though they were set underground.

If they did one as an adult-targeted exclusive like the Emerald Night, Horizon Express, or Crocodile Locomotive, they wouldn't even need a station or full loop of track! And going back to @Vilhelm22's point, that'd be a great avenue to release a licensed London tube train if they so desired, especially considering the popularity of other sets based on iconic London sights and landmarks (Tower Bridge, Big Ben, the London Bus, Trafalgar Square, Buckingham Palace, etc).

I would like to see a rubber tire subway like the Paris Metro or Montreal Metro.  It could be fun to have train wheels and tires on rail and concrete.

On 6/28/2021 at 6:14 AM, dr_spock said:

I would like to see a rubber tire subway like the Paris Metro or Montreal Metro.  It could be fun to have train wheels and tires on rail and concrete.

Or the Adelaide O-Bahn which is another unique concept 

On 6/26/2021 at 4:38 PM, TeriXeri said:

Hidden Side would've had so much background for a subway, instead, it ended up more like a Facade to be used with the app, still the idea of an older flat-ended subway train might work well in LEGO.

tn_70430_alt6_jpg.jpg

I don't know if the 4 wide rail is still in production, but a 4 wide subway (6 wide train) set could still be interesting, not all subway trains are 100% underground either.

What's that picture from? Is that a Hidden Side set that didn't make it into production, or did I miss it entirely?

On 6/26/2021 at 6:03 AM, NickLafreniere said:

This batch of 57 is going to be absolutely brutal. The competition is tough and it all depends on if LEGO wants to do a new train set.

It also depends on which LEGO Ideas project they think will sell the most. While trains aren't the most popular, many people are just begging for any new train set. Although it may not sell to everyone, people who are hardcore about this train would buy 2 copies and that would help make up for its lower popularity. This would also be a LEGO Ideas / 18+ product that really upsells Powered Up components, train tracks, as well as multiple copies of the set itself. 

The Canadian is not that popular in comments whenever people mention their LEGO Ideas predictions. There are many people who also like the set very much, but don't think or know if LEGO would make it. When I looked back at comments for previous LEGO Ideas review predictions, not too many people were talking about the Typewriter or Motorized Lighthouse at the time, yet those were some that got picked. It seems like LEGO is targeting people who are like 40+ for some of these recent LEGO Ideas sets. LEGO also loves making $200 sets lately, so this is a set that fits that price range. I feel like you get a lot of great stuff in the box for $200 :P

Yeah, I think in terms of age range, and hitting the North American market, it fits the niche pretty well, but as you say, I think it ultimately comes down to do they want to make another train so soon. The Crocodile came out last year, and they'll have some data on how well that sold. Saying that, it primarily appealed to the European market, so perhaps there's still an untapped NA audience to hit.

Still, 57 projects in total... :crosses fingers:

38 minutes ago, Mr Hobbles said:

What's that picture from? Is that a Hidden Side set that didn't make it into production, or did I miss it entirely?

70430 Newbury Subway. Unlike the train from the first year it's not a "full" train (the front of the subway car hinges open and opens up to reveal a mouth full of teeth and the entrance into the Hidden Side itself).

3 hours ago, Mr Hobbles said:

Yeah, I think in terms of age range, and hitting the North American market, it fits the niche pretty well, but as you say, I think it ultimately comes down to do they want to make another train so soon. The Crocodile came out last year, and they'll have some data on how well that sold. Saying that, it primarily appealed to the European market, so perhaps there's still an untapped NA audience to hit.

Another appeal of The Canadian is the kayaks, fishing, and camping gear that come with the baggage car. For the past decade or so, LEGO has been making new camper van sets for LEGO Creator, City, and even Friends. There is a new camper van set every year because they obviously sell well - especially to parents who would enjoy going camping in a camper van/RV as a family. 

The Canadian includes that awesome appeal of going out in nature (with the kayaks, sled, snowshoes, etc) as well as the cozy and interesting sleeper car that is somewhat like the camping vans, but the train version. :)
VIA Rail actually lets their passengers bring big gear like kayaks/canoes with them and they can request to stop anywhere in the wilderness, as long as they provide the VIA staff the exact coordinates of theirs desired stop. 

I think many people, even non-railfans, will find that this is more than just a train, but an adventure and a vacation as well! 

WABAKIMI%20_0.jpg?itok=nCa7ALB9

Wabakimi-PP-Pre-Train-Load-crop.jpg

40 minutes ago, NickLafreniere said:

Another appeal of The Canadian is the kayaks, fishing, and camping gear that come with the baggage car. For the past decade or so, LEGO has been making new camper van sets for LEGO Creator, City, and even Friends. There is a new camper van set every year because they obviously sell well - especially to parents who would enjoy going camping in a camper van/RV as a family. 

The Canadian includes that awesome appeal of going out in nature (with the kayaks, sled, snowshoes, etc) as well as the cozy and interesting sleeper car that is somewhat like the camping vans, but the train version. :)
VIA Rail actually lets their passengers bring big gear like kayaks/canoes with them and they can request to stop anywhere in the wilderness, as long as they provide the VIA staff the exact coordinates of theirs desired stop. 

I think many people, even non-railfans, will find that this is more than just a train, but an adventure and a vacation as well! 

WABAKIMI%20_0.jpg?itok=nCa7ALB9

Wabakimi-PP-Pre-Train-Load-crop.jpg

Somehow I had missed this...  I think I immediately supported because I want more trains and maybe didn’t read through properly!

But yes, that’s an added bonus.  

4 hours ago, Mr Hobbles said:

Is the U.K. included in that?  Because though they were widespread and well known across continental Europe, they’re less well known in the U.K. but I think 10277 still sold very well.

28 minutes ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Is the U.K. included in that?  Because though they were widespread and well known across continental Europe, they’re less well known in the U.K. but I think 10277 still sold very well.

For whatever reason, the 10277 is ‘exclusive’ to John Lewis in the U.K. which probably harms sales somewhat.  Of course you can still buy from Lego direct online.

10279 is off the list.  The T2 Campervan has just been announced.

10284 - ¿Camp Nou?

10288 - ¿!?

10291 - ¿Queer Eye?

10293 - ¿Winter Village?

10294 - ¿Titanic?

Are left.

Info from Jedi JAC Penguin

I’m admittedly probably the last person here who possibly has hope of another expert train this year - 10288 is clearly the only option.  I still have hopes though now very very slim... 

6 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

10279 is off the list.  The T2 Campervan has just been announced.

10284 - ¿Camp Nou?

10288 - ¿!?

10291 - ¿Queer Eye?

10293 - ¿Winter Village?

10294 - ¿Titanic?

Are left.

Info from Jedi JAC Penguin

I’m admittedly probably the last person here who possibly has hope of another expert train this year - 10288 is clearly the only option.  I still have hopes though now very very slim... 

I have hopes too. And to be honest after the  Pick Up reveal out of nowhere and the de Lorean rumor being so strong before, I think/ hope there is a chance the queer eye rumor is not true too. 

My hopes are gone - it seems as if we won't get any CE Trains set this year - that's really bad! :thumbdown:

I really do not understand why TLG sells tons of licensed exclusive sets - but there are nearly no unlicensed exclusive sets this year (only Police Station, Pickup and hopefulls a nice Winter Village set). :cry_sad:

2 minutes ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

I really do not understand why TLG sells tons of licensed exclusive sets

I'm sure you meant "makes", but in fact you answered your own question instead :wink:

23 minutes ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

My hopes are gone - it seems as if we won't get any CE Trains set this year - that's really bad! :thumbdown:

I really do not understand why TLG sells tons of licensed exclusive sets - but there are nearly no unlicensed exclusive sets this year (only Police Station, Pickup and hopefulls a nice Winter Village set). :cry_sad:

I don't get why Lego floods the market with certain products like Creator Expert cars and a huge number of products that can be summarized as dust-catchers (botanical collection, mosaics, ...). There's nothing wrong with these sets of course, but why so many of them while neglecting other themes?