legotownlinz

LEGO Trains 2021

While I wish for more trains too, this video really startles me. They make it seem like they put a lot of "R&D" in this topic but... For what?! 

Kids for whom almost all trains since x years are made don't care at all about this single digit improvement over a looong test run period (I assume). 

Afols, who might care about slightly longer run times, might still not be happy with that new system and just don't have anything to use this with.

Why doesn't lego first improve the train eco system before providing a half cooked solution to a problem that was barely existent? 

Makes me think they either largely plan to increase the number of future train sets or don't use their resources wisely at all. 

Besides I am still slightly confused by the fact that 60197 had metal axles when people were talking about "plastic wheelsets"? 

12 hours ago, Sunil766 said:

Besides I am still slightly confused by the fact that 60197 had metal axles when people were talking about "plastic wheelsets"? 

One of the last train sets to use the metal axles...

This might mean we could see a newer wave sooner than the current 4-5 year period...?

On 2/27/2021 at 6:31 AM, M_slug357 said:

One of the last train sets to use the metal axles...

This might mean we could see a newer wave sooner than the current 4-5 year period...?

Doubtful. The main reasons for getting rid of the metal axles were two-fold:
1. No more buying in of metal axles from a supplier, meaning everything can be done in-house, meaning it's cheaper to produce. I think the wheelset axles were the last 'standalone' piece of metal LEGO were using, outside of any for weight bricks...

2. No sharp metal rod = ones less thing to have to worry about with regards to toy safety standards.

Unless we get another Creator Expert or 18+ range train, or something like the Hogwarts Express, the next train will be the City ones in 2022.

This is great, now that TLG have 'proven' the superiority of the new wheels everyone will flock to buy them and the Bricklink prices for the old metal axle wheelsets will plummet (perfect for skeptical Luddites such as me).

Hope that TLG will now put the same effort into fixing the tram wheels.

If we are geting another one this year it has to be 10291. But this is also rumored to be the titanic. The h.express rumor is based on the pictures of a moc. Honestly dont think tlg would make a set in the horibly colourmatched dark red.. 

So brickset noted a 1x5 plate in a Vidyio set... could this be a hint that TLG has finally recognized 7 wide builders and will be following up on the crocodile with something else this summer? Even if it isn't a hint at a train set, at least it will be a useful part for 7 wide.

59143_43115-1.jpg

Let's hope we get anything train-related in the second half year, otherwise 2021 might become a sad year for train collectors.

6 hours ago, legotownlinz said:

Let's hope we get anything train-related in the second half year, otherwise 2021 might become a sad year for train collectors.

I still have hopes.

Looking at the numbers of Expert type sets that have been released this year, and those rumoured, there are quite a few gaps still.  This is all the gaps from 10278 (Police Station) to 10295 (Porsche 911):

The RMS Titanic and Camp Nou are almost certainly two of these, but that still leaves five more, assuming that catchup to 10295 is made over the course of this year, as it was with last year’s release of 10277 prior to 10274, 75, and 76.  Of these, the only one listen on jjp’s site is 10291, with a rumoured price of US$100 - this is the same price as the Crocodile.  I may be reading too much into this, but these facts combined with how frequently I’ve seen 10277 out of stock in the past ten months points pretty favourably in our direction.....

Here’s hoping anyway.  

It's true that the Crocodile was sold out frequently, but we do not know the reasons. Maybe Lego prioritized other sets for production? But it is safe to assume that at least it isn't a slow seller. Unfortunately the Crocodile is still a Lego exclusive, if it would be available in other stores like many of the cars and 18+ sets, it could give Lego trains a boost.

Given the fact that there are many third-party train-related offers, it would be strange not to see any Lego train set this year. But who knows, maybe an infamous influencer is right and Lego indeed hates trains? Then they will continue to over-saturate the market with mosaics, plants, helmets and other dust catchers instead of producing a single train set. Don't take me wrong, I like some of these sets, especially the Bonsai, but I don't get why they produce so many sets of the same kind while neglecting other themes.

And then there is the miracle why they refresh the City trains only every four years. Other long-lasting themes get more frequent updates. It's not harder to develop a train engine than anything else if the electronics stay the same.

Edited by legotownlinz

7 minutes ago, legotownlinz said:

maybe an infamous influencer is right and Lego indeed hates trains?

What kinda mouth diarrhea is that garbage statement? TLG have been making trains since the mid-60s and contnues doing that today. It was the first specialty theme and over the years they have made many many parts that only works for trains.

Also, I REALLY hate that word "influencer"!

1 minute ago, 1974 said:

What kinda mouth diarrhea is that garbage statement? TLG have been making trains since the mid-60s and contnues doing that today. It was the first specialty theme and over the years they have made many many parts that only works for trains.

Also, I REALLY hate that word "influencer"!

But let's face it, the current train offerings cannot match with those of the past. I wouldn't say Lego hates trains, but it is obvious non of the designers has a passion for trains and pushes the theme forward. 

49 minutes ago, legotownlinz said:

Unfortunately the Crocodile is still a Lego exclusive, if it would be available in other stores like many of the cars and 18+ sets, it could give Lego trains a boost.

I wasn’t aware it was a Lego Exclusive.  I purchased mine in Manor (A Swiss chain of department stores like John Lewis in the UK), and have seen it in a couple of other places here in the UK too?  Perhaps its not a Lego Exclusive in all countries?  Is this common?

25 minutes ago, jus1973 said:

I wasn’t aware it was a Lego Exclusive.  I purchased mine in Manor (A Swiss chain of department stores like John Lewis in the UK), and have seen it in a couple of other places here in the UK too?  Perhaps its not a Lego Exclusive in all countries?  Is this common?

In germany it is not exclusive too. It is available at Galeria Kaufhof/ Karstadt, a big department store chain in germany.

1 hour ago, legotownlinz said:

It's true that the Crocodile was sold out frequently, but we do not know the reasons.

From what I've heard it was because of a part that was produced in only one factory that was closed during some lockdown last year. So they had a massive production backlash.

And I think that we've got many trains in the past few years, maybe more than we got for a long time. We have 2 city trains, the disney train, the crocodile, the hogwarts express, the 30 year anniversary train and there was the hidden side train with a new track piece. LEGO mainly shifted from selling everything individually (my own train etc) to selling complete bundles. The train station in the disney train set is massive and kings cross isn't small either. We have crossings in both of the city trains. I think that it's a misconception that lego doesn't care about trains. They mainly sell complete packages and not single pieces.

Edited by Tcm0

32 minutes ago, Tcm0 said:

kings cross

Kings Cross is an excellent negative example for Lego's ignorance about trains. If they had ever tested this station with tracks and their own trains, they would have noticed that some of them collide with the bridge. 

3 hours ago, 1974 said:

TLG have been making trains since the mid-60s and contnues doing that today. It was the first specialty theme and over the years they have made many many parts that only works for trains.

Yes, that is true.

But I believe you also agree on: The golden age of trains was the rise of 12V "via" 4.5V. Passion, creativity, diversity to the extreme. Nothing today compares to what was available then. Nothing at all. I also believe, a company simply cannot hold up that impetus when the fan base (the mothers and dads buying that comparably expensive stuff, because they dream of it as well but also have a job) "phase out". Same with model railroaders, I believe (OK: Bash me). Difference is: "TLG covers all" other than - and so unbelievable more in volume - trains.

"Trains" belong/need by definition to/a "system" (4.5V/12V/9V). Currently, there is no such system: There is straight and sharp curved track - along with flex pieces and switches. Which have been around forever, shape-wise. This is hardly a system. But nevertheless, I believe that TLG is frying other fish. And most probably has to. The 2I/O hub propelling a train does a very good job. It also propels the BatMobile. That is fine, and saves a lot of money, but it will always be a compromise. And yes, I know: It maybe has to be that way. Due to reasons we all know. Big Companies need Big Bucks. No surprise at all. 

For me, the Crocodile is a "model". Yes, it can be equipped with a motor. But negotiating the LEGO curves ... needs some additional skills. Because the current Croc app cannot do that for you.

Yes, they still make trains. But that's mostly it. And there may well be a reason for that - has certainly nothing to do with influencers or even hate. Zero. Maybe with reality.

Best wishes,
Thorsten

Many City Passenger trains, and even Town trains, including Iconic trains like the Metroliner, haven't really drasticly evolved the same way Cargo locomotives have, exception would be Horizon Express but that's already pretty old (8 years, but there have been a lot more SNOT and slope parts since) without using a prefab cockpit.

In comparison to the old pre 9V trains, which might have been more basic using slopes, but still were fully brick built.

Of course Cargo locs are mostly more boxy compared to a high-speed TGV/Bullet train etc  even in real life.

But many of those modern prefab large cockpit pieces just don't appeal to me, neither in trains, airplanes etc.

Metroliner and the followup design "Cargo Railway" (which is still mostly a passenger train), looked fine imo as they still used angled within LEGO part definition, but those rounded prefab pieces just look a bit odd to me.

The 2010 passenger train maybe could be seen came closest to older trains as it's mostly brick build on the sides but the 2006 - 2014 - 2018 passenger trains are very prefab and I personally don't like them.

Edited by TeriXeri

I'm begging Lego to do a rapid transit train for City. It could be painted yellow. Like the tram from the main square set.

42 minutes ago, Poodabricks said:

It could be painted yellow.

No chance to MOC one?

Best
Thorsten

28 minutes ago, Toastie said:

No chance to MOC one?

Best
Thorsten

Don't have the parts. Plus I want a generic shape. Not really a futuristic look. 

22 hours ago, legotownlinz said:

Kings Cross is an excellent negative example for Lego's ignorance about trains. If they had ever tested this station with tracks and their own trains, they would have noticed that some of them collide with the bridge. 

It's really not a big deal. You can put one row of bricks below the station and everything is fine, including the height of the station. It's designed to be used without tracks but it can be easily adapted to be used with tracks.

21 hours ago, Toastie said:

But I believe you also agree on: The golden age of trains was the rise of 12V "via" 4.5V. Passion, creativity, diversity to the extreme. Nothing today compares to what was available then. Nothing at all. I also believe, a company simply cannot hold up that impetus when the fan base (the mothers and dads buying that comparably expensive stuff, because they dream of it as well but also have a job) "phase out". Same with model railroaders, I believe (OK: Bash me). Difference is: "TLG covers all" other than - and so unbelievable more in volume - trains.

It's hard to argue with the "golden age" but I think that the current time is very good, too. We don't have dedicated motorized switch tracks or signals but we have everything to build them. There are instructions for relieable switch tracks and signals can be built easily, too. That's my perspective on the technical side. The actual train models are another topic that highly depends on personal preferences, age etc.

I think 10279 might be a new Creator Expert train set. Sariel published the embargo dates on his upcoming reviews and there are two Creator sets mentioned, one of them is the DeLorean, but 10279 was never mentioned in any previous leaks and is set for July 1st. Pretty close to last year's Crocodile.

So far I gathered this:

10282 Adidas Superstar
10284 Camp Nou stadium 
10288 Winter Village Collection?
10290 DeLorean
10291 Queer Eye
10293 Fairground Collection?
10294 World Building / Titanic

So a new train/locomotive would be my best guess for 10279.

Edited by R0Sch

2 hours ago, legotownlinz said:

7-wide coaches for the Crocodile using the new 1x5 plate would be nice. 

😉👌👍 ...46-50 studs long, with ball bearings and reasonably priced at 29,99 EUR /each 😁

Edited by Selander
Spelling mistake