legotownlinz

LEGO Trains 2021

8 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

I was only mentioning counterfeiters/bootleggers in response to @Lord Insanity's claim that by bringing back rare parts like train windows, LEGO would be "removing the monetary benefits of bootlegging in the first place."

I agree that sites like Bluebrixx seem to be pretty careful about not stocking actual counterfeit versions of current or recent LEGO products (probably because as a European company, they could quickly get in hot water with customs agencies by importing counterfeit goods), but some of their suppliers like Decool are a little more suspect since they also produce actual counterfeit products in addition the stuff that Bluebrixx carries. Needless to say, figuring out which third-party manufacturers are trustworthy isn't always cut-and-dry.

Actually sometimes bluebrixx is pretty shady, too. From time to time they sell "goods in kilos" which are just copies of lego sets stuffed together in a box without instructions. Also, they sold (and probably are still selling) sets made by mocers without their permission (they got the permission from some mocers). Not to mention the minifigures which they have a lawsuit with lego about.

And they have a very dark past in the model car business. Probably the reason why they switched to bricks.

And the MoCers could only choose between getting nothing or a tiny sum and giving up all rights to the design.

Edited by AndreMW

What does everyone think the odds are of lego producing a Train station any time soon?? i’m debating buying 60050 but it’s very overpriced (as with all retired sets) and would hate to buy it and have lego release a newer better version right after... it seems like it would be a good time for them to release a new one with a little road crossing since they are jamming their new roads onto every other new city set... maybe a new train station in the summer?

Edited by Northoftheborder

2 hours ago, Northoftheborder said:

What does everyone think the odds are of lego producing a Train station any time soon?? i’m debating buying 60050 but it’s very overpriced (as with all retired sets) and would hate to buy it and have lego release a newer better version right after... it seems like it would be a good time for them to release a new one with a little road crossing since they are jamming their new roads onto every other new city set... maybe a new train station in the summer?

I wouldn't necessarily expect a City train station in 2021, since in the past they've usually come out either the same year as new City trains or one year after the last batch of new City trains. Based on that precedent and the four-year cycle that major LEGO City train releases tend to follow, I suspect it would be much more realistic to expect a new City train station in 2022.

However, I can't really speak for other themes since as many train stations as there have been in recent years (between Winter Village, Disney, Harry Potter, and Hidden Side), they haven't had any sort of obvious release pattern. Getting a non-City train station next year is definitely possible in light of all those examples, but I have no idea how likely/unlikely it would be. And of course, how useful such a station would be for more general train layouts could depend heavily on what theme it belongs to!

Personally, in a situation like this, I would not recommend paying inflated aftermarket prices for an older station like 60050. Instead, I'd encourage building a custom station that you would be happy with having in your layout (even if you're not perfectly happy with it and prefer to think of it as a placeholder for a "newer better version" in the futurre).

You shouldn't have to spend a whole bunch to do this, since the most important features of any LEGO train station tend to be built from fairly basic parts like bricks, plates, slopes, windows, and doors. You could even copy the design of the main platform from an earlier train station set using that set's online instruction manual, making substitutions for parts you don't already have in the right sizes or quantities, and then come up with the station building from scratch, focusing on whatever sorts of features feel most important to you in a train station.

Whenever a new train station you really like actually DOES come out, I think you'd have fewer regrets about buying it to replace a MOC you built at a minimal cost than to replace a set that you bought for an inflated aftermarket price.

Edited by Aanchir

12 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Personally, in a situation like this, I would not recommend paying inflated aftermarket prices for an older station like 60050. Instead, I'd encourage building a custom station that you would be happy with having in your layout (even if you're not perfectly happy with it and prefer to think of it as a placeholder for a "newer better version" in the futurre).

Exactly this with the addition that if you like one of the older train stations, you should be able to replicate the whole construction using parts off of bricklink. Figure out substitutes for the hard to find (i.e., expensive) parts unless you really like those features. The instructions for just about every set that ever was are on line, if you have any problems finding the instructions for a particular set post back (probably in a new thread or the pinned Train Tech Help) and I'm sure someone here will point you to the current location.

Speculation II:

— A) With the introduction of the new road system, the possibility of there being a stand alone station set featuring them seems more likely. However, what’s the likelihood of seeing a LRV/street car/trolley set featuring the new plates? ((or are they considered tiles? idk)) Personally, I think this could be achieved 1 of 3 ways:

— 1) a standard oval with enough road plates to span the interior, a powered LRV, a pair of simple platforms, and a selection of small buildings.

— 2) an End-to-End system, where the trolley can change directions via mechanism or programming. Includes two simple platforms and a  box of 60205.

— 3) an unpowered streetcar, more elaborate roadway and structures, and a more substantial platform. May or may not include track since the unit is unpowered.

— B) Following the (apparent) success of the Crocodile, which 2-6-6-2 type engine would you like to see next? What would be the logical (i.e. easiest) choice for TLG to produce?

— C) What could the color schemes for the next city freight & passenger sets be? 60197 is a novel lt orange/ dk blue, and 60198 is green + white. Personally, I’d like to see a dk red + dk gray passenger train with the new Coral color as an accent, and a lt yellow + lt grey diesel with dk green accents in the next freight set.

56 minutes ago, M_slug357 said:

Speculation II:

— A) With the introduction of the new road system, the possibility of there being a stand alone station set featuring them seems more likely. However, what’s the likelihood of seeing a LRV/street car/trolley set featuring the new plates? ((or are they considered tiles? idk)) Personally, I think this could be achieved 1 of 3 ways:

— 1) a standard oval with enough road plates to span the interior, a powered LRV, a pair of simple platforms, and a selection of small buildings.

— 2) an End-to-End system, where the trolley can change directions via mechanism or programming. Includes two simple platforms and a  box of 60205.

— 3) an unpowered streetcar, more elaborate roadway and structures, and a more substantial platform. May or may not include track since the unit is unpowered.

@M_slug357 I think you’re onto something here.  Judging by what they’ve produced in the past few years and announced for next year, I think 1 is the most likely path for them to take.  Honestly I’m just happy with anything train related...

59 minutes ago, M_slug357 said:

— B) Following the (apparent) success of the Crocodile, which 2-6-6-2 type engine would you like to see next? What would be the logical (i.e. easiest) choice for TLG to produce?

Honestly I think a 2-6-6-2 locomotive in the near future, such as the PRR GG1, is very unlikely.  The GG1 will have to wait.  If the Expert line continues to be successful, I personally expect a large US diesel locomotive, followed by a European steam.  There have been quite a few US steam locomotives recently...

1 hour ago, M_slug357 said:

— C) What could the color schemes for the next city freight & passenger sets be? 60197 is a novel lt orange/ dk blue, and 60198 is green + white. Personally, I’d like to see a dk red + dk gray passenger train with the new Coral color as an accent, and a lt yellow + lt grey diesel with dk green accents in the next freight set.

Looking back at the schemes since the formation of City in 2005:

Year: Cargo (Accents), Passenger (Accents)

2006: Green (Black), White (Red)

2010: Yellow (DBG, Black), Red (White, DBG)

2011: Red

2014: Blue (Black, Yellow), White (Red, DBG)

2015: Red (DBG)

2018: Green (White), Dark Blue/Flame Yellowish Orange (White, DBG)

There’s no real pattern, but we haven’t had any green on a passenger train.  Honestly I’ve got no clue.

@Vilhelm22 I agree that the first trolley idea would be best, but the 2nd is more interesting!

For the expert line, it’d be interesting to see TLG’s take on Co-Co bogies, but it would have to be somewhat iconic? I’m not a diesel fan, so nothing comes to mind right away.

Considering set color schemes, I feel like there’s some unconscious bias leading away from a green passenger train... as if green doesn’t evoke speed in some way? But if you have some reds or yellows, it just seems to go faster...? However, if the train were lime green, that seems to feel more... propellant? In contrast, when cargo diesels are green, it somehow says: economic/ friendly/ low emissions. When these are yellow: construction/ helpful/ utility. Then when red: heavy/ strong/ swift. 
Does that make sense? 

1 hour ago, M_slug357 said:

@Vilhelm22 I agree that the first trolley idea would be best, but the 2nd is more interesting!

For the expert line, it’d be interesting to see TLG’s take on Co-Co bogies, but it would have to be somewhat iconic? I’m not a diesel fan, so nothing comes to mind right away.

Considering set color schemes, I feel like there’s some unconscious bias leading away from a green passenger train... as if green doesn’t evoke speed in some way? But if you have some reds or yellows, it just seems to go faster...? However, if the train were lime green, that seems to feel more... propellant? In contrast, when cargo diesels are green, it somehow says: economic/ friendly/ low emissions. When these are yellow: construction/ helpful/ utility. Then when red: heavy/ strong/ swift. 
Does that make sense? 

@M_slug357 yes that makes sense.  But I still think green should appear in passenger trains more.  GWR (UK) is an example of a railway that uses them.  There are many more as well....

4 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

Does that make sense?  

Interesting perspective! Not to disagree with it, but it does present some ironic implications when you consider that in non-train contexts, we've recently seen Octan's clean energy offshoot "OctanE" ditch the brand's traditional green and red logos and livery in favor of a more "electrifying" Bright Yellow and Dark Azur color scheme.

Then again, perhaps that isn't so ironic after all if you think of it as Octan using green and red to communicate speed and power while also downplaying their products' environmentally unfriendly reputation, then adopting a hip, new color palette to help market electric vehicles as a cool, contemporary option that isn't just for "tree-huggers" or "motorheads".

On a related note that circles back to the topic of trains, I've recently been thinking about ways that that "OctanE" rebrand could show up in a train-related context, sort of like how railroad fuel tanker cars were one of the places where Octan branding has previously made frequent appearances. One possibility that occurred to me is a flatbed freight car hauling windmill components, much like the flatbed truck in 7747 Wind Turbine Transport. I'm sure there's probably other options out there as well which people who pay closer attention to trends in freight transportation might be able to suggest.

It would be neat to see train sets reflect some of these sorts of modern trends we've seen in other City sets, especially considering that trains are often already a much "cleaner" and more energy-efficient form of transportation than road vehicles, so I imagine that trains and advances in environmentally friendly infrastructure would appeal to a lot of the same interests.

That OctanE idea is interesting, but why stop at loads and rolling stock? As far as I know, a lot of railways have been experimenting with hybrid engines in the last few years, maybe a new train set could portray that as well?

I wonder if they gonna release new tracks too or we still need to use regular ones we have know, cause I don't want to go to a 3rd party vendor for tracks to achieve my goal...

18 minutes ago, Dragunov2 said:

I wonder if they gonna release new tracks too or we still need to use regular ones we have know, cause I don't want to go to a 3rd party vendor for tracks to achieve my goal...

Why not?

The quality of the moulded tracks from the 3rd parties are on par with or even better than the LEGO ones nowadays imo.

Edited by dtomsen

Give one of them which exceeds my expectations, cause I have no experience with them and don't want to waste my money if one of them is not on top of your list ;)

I need the same color aswell and the smoothness of the original ones

17 hours ago, Amoreternum said:

That OctanE idea is interesting, but why stop at loads and rolling stock? As far as I know, a lot of railways have been experimenting with hybrid engines in the last few years, maybe a new train set could portray that as well?

You mean like a battery engine? (grin) But seriously, I could totally see Lego going for that nudge and wink, "we've had battery engines for 60 years and the real trains are only now catching up to us."

54 minutes ago, Dragunov2 said:

Give one of them which exceeds my expectations, cause I have no experience with them and don't want to waste my money if one of them is not on top of your list ;)

I need the same color aswell and the smoothness of the original ones

Briefly wandering off topic, Bricktracks curves are great, the production quality is indistinguishable from Lego and the range of radii is far superior... but any further discussion about BT should probably fall in a different thread, e.g., this one. Or if you are looking for general insights on third party track you can start a new thread and I am sure you will get a lot of insights.

The double-length straight tracks from Trixbricks are also great, have the whole 10 track set here and color is very close.

On 12/20/2020 at 12:43 PM, M_slug357 said:

Speculation II:

If there is a set with a Tram line it will probably not come in 2021 since we just got a tram. If a new set with a tram does come in the future, I hope it brings us a new variation of the road plates with embedded tracks or slots for plastic rails with new curve tracks of course in the standard oval like you mentioned.

The city sets names of the second half year have leaked (see city forum), but unfortunately nothing train-related. :sad:

There's still hope for a D2C set...

17 minutes ago, legotownlinz said:

The city sets names of the second half year have leaked (see city forum), but unfortunately nothing train-related. :sad:

There's still hope for a D2C set...

that list looks bogus... half of the names have “stunt” in them and the piece count is wack 

On 12/21/2020 at 1:53 AM, zephyr1934 said:

Exactly this with the addition that if you like one of the older train stations, you should be able to replicate the whole construction using parts off of bricklink. Figure out substitutes for the hard to find (i.e., expensive) parts unless you really like those features. The instructions for just about every set that ever was are on line, if you have any problems finding the instructions for a particular set post back (probably in a new thread or the pinned Train Tech Help) and I'm sure someone here will point you to the current location.

On 12/20/2020 at 11:09 AM, Northoftheborder said:

If you decide to replicate 60050, the new 8x5x2/3 slopes that are used on the city road plates would be a more available alternative to the almost identical slopes used in its roof. It would just be completely tiled rather than studded.

5 minutes ago, Stuartn said:

If you decide to replicate 60050, the new 8x5x2/3 slopes that are used on the city road plates would be a more available alternative to the almost identical slopes used in its roof. It would just be completely tiled rather than studded.

good call... i’ll have tons of those slopes since i’m converting my city over to new road plates... I do like the idea of an official train station  though...

Just now, Northoftheborder said:

Good call... i’ll have tons of those slopes since i’m converting my city over to new road plates... I do like the idea of an official train station  though...

Same here, I only have three road plate sets (60304), but I already have eighteen of those slopes just unused. My MOC train station uses the old version of the slopes, and I have no intention of changing because I like the texture variation (the rest of the roof uses tiles), so I don't know where I can employ those pieces.

If the 18+ line is being successful some buildings I like to see a 4 by 4 roundhouse with operating turntable, next will be a water tower, and a bridge. For some locomotives I like to is Amtrak f40ph, J1e Hudson (NYC), and than the Big Boy. I think that will satisfy a lot of people.

6 hours ago, 9v brick master said:

If the 18+ line is being successful some buildings I like to see a 4 by 4 roundhouse with operating turntable, next will be a water tower, and a bridge. For some locomotives I like to is Amtrak f40ph, J1e Hudson (NYC), and than the Big Boy. I think that will satisfy a lot of people.

The big boy would be awesome but I do not see how they possibly would get a 4-8-8-4 configuration to work on lego curves.