legotownlinz

LEGO Trains 2021

13 hours ago, Northoftheborder said:

Do we know for sure that we are getting something train related this year?  We just got the croc and passenger/cargo is a 4 year cycle so they aren’t due until 2022... That being said, we just got new road baseplates and we are due for a train station... and lego doesn’t seem to release train sets and train stations in the same year... sooo i wouldn’t be surprised if we got a new train station that implements the new road plates into some sort of road crossing... 

16 hours ago, Alex P said:

There are no City trains in the new catalog: https://catalogs.lego.com/BrandCatalog/1HY2021/bc-1HY-2021-nz/

Does it mean there will be some new train sets in the summer?

The red cargo train/heavy haul train has not appeared yet (appeared 2011, 2015) either.  Could be a possibility?

Speculation Questions:

- Do you think we’ll see any new train-specific elements released next year?

- If possible, what would be a useful train-specific element you’d like to see made?

- If instead of a new element, what element would you like to see in a new color?

Hmm, good questions!  I think the Easiest for LEGO to do, and I would like to see, would be Wheels in Different colors (no need for new molds.)

Short of that, I don't want to stomp anyone's third-party business, but those items are obvious.

But to narrow this to just 2 things I'd like to see - a one-piece plastic 90 degree "X" crossing since LEGO had released one for 9-volt.  And a next logical curve size (R56 probably.)

Oh, and a bonus, a Switch track that didn't have a built-in "S" curve.  :-)

Sorry - two Other things I'd like to see!  :wink:  I understand LEGO changing the stand-alone magnetic couplers to larger single pieces.  From a company point of view that makes sense.  But I'd like to see a few more options in one-piece magnetic couplers, specifically a little sparser size without the built-in buffers.

And finally, no changes needed for LEGO except packaging - I'd like to see Straight Track Only offerings.

Edited by JWBDolphins
additions

Don't City trains usually tend to come out in the middle of the year anyhow? The catalogs that showed up a few days ago are only for the first half of the year, so train stuff probably wouldn't be featured in them one way or another.

Whenever the next City train sets end up coming out, it'd be lovely if they integrated the new City road system in some way — for instance, a new level crossing build that links together neatly with the roads in some of the other new City sets, or a train station that uses the new road pieces for a brick-built equivalent of the station platform bricks from the 9-volt era.

Also, I feel like I end up mentioning this pretty much every year, but it'd be lovely to see a LEGO Friends train that boasts the same level of style and passenger comfort that the theme has previously achieved with airplanes like 41429 or boats like 41347. I realize that train sets are often stereotyped as a somewhat "boyish" hobby, but it's not like there's anything implicitly "girlier" about cars, trucks, buses, planes, or boats than about trains. Plus, a lot of passenger trains in particular have a wonderfully streamlined aesthetic that would fit in perfectly with Heartlake City's colorful and stylish design language.

On 12/8/2020 at 7:35 PM, JWBDolphins said:

Sorry - two Other things I'd like to see!  :wink:  I understand LEGO changing the stand-alone magnetic couplers to larger single pieces.  From a company point of view that makes sense.  But I'd like to see a few more options in one-piece magnetic couplers, specifically a little sparser size without the built-in buffers.

And finally, no changes needed for LEGO except packaging - I'd like to see Straight Track Only offerings.

LEGO will not make any smaller buffers or magnetic couplers owing to toy safety rules. It's also more moulding time and costs for extra moulds for one line. I'd sooner see them use that time and money for a copy of Trained Bricks rods, or other value-enhancing parts.

Spoiler

(You can always use cutters...)

On 12/8/2020 at 12:36 PM, Vilhelm22 said:

The red cargo train/heavy haul train has not appeared yet (appeared 2011, 2015) either.  Could be a possibility?

The general schema for LEGO train release has always been a 4 year cycle (2 train sets + accessories, normally track packs) plus a LEGO exclusive train set and/or an accessory set the following year (train station or level crossing). With the last release in 2018, we should've had a level crossing or train station in 2019, however the other trains on offer (e.g. Harry Potter) possibly put them off releasing a generic set.

Since we had the croc last year, I would say another loco is unlikely. I would think we'd either get form of rolling stock for the crocodile, or possibly a station (maybe a thin 'backscene' style one for a bookshelf so the croc can fit in front of it?)

I'm also hoping that a new station will be released sometime next year! It'll be a big missed opportunity if they don't include those new road segments.

Personally, I'm still on the fence about those plates until we get some curved versions..... Why do I feel like TLG is going to baffle us in this regard with some new type of ramping road segment though? Just remember that for the original 4-wide track system, we got two different ramp pieces in lieu of a simple straight piece.

4 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

I'm also hoping that a new station will be released sometime next year! It'll be a big missed opportunity if they don't include those new road segments.

Personally, I'm still on the fence about those plates until we get some curved versions..... Why do I feel like TLG is going to baffle us in this regard with some new type of ramping road segment though? Just remember that for the original 4-wide track system, we got two different ramp pieces in lieu of a simple straight piece.

I don't feel like that was all that baffling, considering the sorts of sets those narrower tracks were used in. If LEGO had used it for actual train layouts or trams instead of just minecarts or roller coasters, I'm sure they'd have felt more incentive to create a straight version.

Similarly, although I would be very interested to see how LEGO would handle curves in this new system, I feel like the relative prriority of curves vs. inclines might depend on what contexts LEGO ends up using it for in the future. After all, neither curves nor inclines would be entirely essential for ordinary city roads, and possibly not even even if they expanded its use to airport runways. But curves would become a lot more important if LEGO decided to expand its use to include race tracks, whereas inclines would become a lot more important if they decided to expand its use to include overpasses.

In any case, the upfront investment LEGO has put into this road system and the emphasis they are putting on it in their new sets seems to be a lot greater than the four-wide tracks, which never showed up in more than a single set per year. This feels more on par with the level of commitment they showed with the launch of their original road baseplates in 1978, the 9V track system in 1991, the modern Technic panel system in 2009, the Character and Creature Building System in 2011, or "Mixel joints" in 2014. So I have high hopes that they'll continue to use and expand on this system quite a bit in the years to come.

Edited by Aanchir

I just spotted a new window piece, looks to be a 3x3x2 curved window frame that fits two standard 2x2 glass panes. You can see inside and outside examples of it in the photos of the upcoming 41449 Friends set. That could be handy for round end observation cars, etc.

4 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

I just spotted a new window piece, looks to be a 3x3x2 curved window frame that fits two standard 2x2 glass panes. You can see inside and outside examples of it in the photos of the upcoming 41449 Friends set. That could be handy for round end observation cars, etc.

Ooh, good point! I'd spotted that piece and been really excited about its architectural potential, but I hadn't even begun to think about how many uses it might have on various sorts of vehicles. It could also be awesome to attach them sideways and use them as the glass ceilings of a dome car.

12 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Ooh, good point! I'd spotted that piece and been really excited about its architectural potential, but I hadn't even begun to think about how many uses it might have on various sorts of vehicles. It could also be awesome to attach them sideways and use them as the glass ceilings of a dome car.

Very good observation (pun intended). If only they were available in light blueish grey, there would be a big potential for classic Streamliners like the California Zephyr.

Similarly, although I would be very interested to see how LEGO would handle curves in this new system, I feel like the relative prriority of curves vs. inclines might depend on what contexts LEGO ends up using it for in the future. After all, neither curves nor inclines would be entirely essential for ordinary city roads, and possibly not even even if they expanded its use to airport runways. But curves would become a lot more important if LEGO decided to expand its use to include race tracks, whereas inclines would become a lot more important if they decided to expand its use to include overpasses.

[...]

Regarding narrow gauge straight track: looking at the patents Lego seems to have thought about the straight tracks, but never considered them essential in their sets.

Take a look for yourself:

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?FT=D&date=20110104&DB&locale=en_EP&CC=US&NR=D630271S&KC=S&ND=4#

Edited by ScotNick

19 hours ago, Aanchir said:

It could also be awesome to attach them sideways and use them as the glass ceilings of a dome car.

Great point, I wasn't even thinking that far ahead.

6 hours ago, Stefaneris said:

Very good observation (pun intended). If only they were available in light blueish grey, there would be a big potential for classic Streamliners like the California Zephyr.

They are certainly better than any other "simple" option available. Real domes had a flat center so it would have to be 8 wide to get the right cross-section (which many people build in) or a small compromise in 6 wide that would do a good job catching the essence of a dome car

3 hours ago, dimitri_bricks said:

I have spotted a leaked picture of a new locomotive polybag for 2021 on instagram, maybe a gwp for a new 2021 lego train set ?

Was it this one? If so, it'll just be a magazine tie-in. 

Edited by moparacker

3 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Great point, I wasn't even thinking that far ahead.

They are certainly better than any other "simple" option available. Real domes had a flat center so it would have to be 8 wide to get the right cross-section (which many people build in) or a small compromise in 6 wide that would do a good job catching the essence of a dome car 

I actually wasn't entirely sure about this idea myself, since I've never been nearly as passionate or knowledgeable about trains as my dad was, so I went ahead and looked up some images of different styles of dome car, and in some models it seems like either there isn't a flat center, or it's narrow enough that you could potentially get away with building a similar coach at just 7 studs wide.

Here are some links to examples like these that I found:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Pleasure_Dome_cars
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Strata-Dome_cars
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiture_panoramique_de_type_Rheingold_1962

1 hour ago, Brandon Pea said:

You know what we need for 2021? Some type of metro train. Now that's something I'd buy. 

Sort of like an updated Metroliner? That would be a pretty cool tribute to a classic set.

1 minute ago, Pdaitabird said:

Sort of like an updated Metroliner? That would be a pretty cool tribute to a classic set.

Nah! I meant metro train as in a rapid transit train. Like the one in that Lego Marvel game. 

mqdefault.jpg

Edited by Brandon Pea

23 hours ago, dimitri_bricks said:

I have spotted a leaked picture of a new locomotive polybag for 2021 on instagram, maybe a gwp for a new 2021 lego train set ?

It would be nice, not gonna lie, but also unlikely as we have had 5 green steam locomotives at least since 2006:

2006 Holiday Train 

2009 Emerald Night

Lone Ranger

2016 Winter Holiday Train

2018 Disney Train and Station 

Particularly with the return to expert trains, I unfortunately find another green one unlikely so soon.

20 hours ago, moparacker said:

Was it this one? If so, it'll just be a magazine tie-in. 

Honestly don’t think it’s a magazine gift, as that has silver wrapping, but don’t think it’s a miniature of a new expert set either.  Looks very Creator 3-in-1 to me.

20 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I actually wasn't entirely sure about this idea myself, since I've never been nearly as passionate or knowledgeable about trains as my dad was, so I went ahead and looked up some images of different styles of dome car, and in some models it seems like either there isn't a flat center, or it's narrow enough that you could potentially get away with building a similar coach at just 7 studs wide.

Most definitely.

5 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Honestly don’t think it’s a magazine gift, as that has silver wrapping, but don’t think it’s a miniature of a new expert set either.  Looks very Creator 3-in-1 to me.

It is themed as Creator, so you're right on that. It looks like all of the LEGO Explorer magazine attached items are done in this theme.

13 minutes ago, moparacker said:

It is themed as Creator, so you're right on that. It looks like all of the LEGO Explorer magazine attached items are done in this theme.

Embarrassingly, I didn’t know this magazine existed.  Guess it’s not stocked round me.  Thanks!  

22 minutes ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Embarrassingly, I didn’t know this magazine existed.  Guess it’s not stocked round me.  Thanks!  

All good as it's fairly fresh to market. Review and UK subscription details linked. The £5 3 issue trial deal is pretty good!

I just wish it wasn't so expensive to get it in the US.