legotownlinz

LEGO Trains 2021

Are there any rumors yet? How many train-related sets will we get in 2021?

In the last years, there was at least one train-related set and an average of two sets per year:

• 10277 Crocodile Locomotive
  • 40370 Trains 40th Anniversary Set (gift)
  • 60271 Main Square (tram)

• 70424 Ghost Train Express
  • 71044 Disney Train

• 75955 Hogwarts Express
  • 60197 Passenger Train
  • 60198 Cargo Train

• 10259 Winter Village Station

• 10254 Winter Holiday Train

I've listed only sets in minifig scale.

Edited by legotownlinz

So... currently there's no trains listed; but we might get some in mid 2021.

I was surprised to see 10277 and 40370, you never know that is very clear.

Not holding my breath... There won't be another Creator Expert - they won't want to compete with the Croc. City trains due in 2022 again.

But you never know.

I can honestly see them doing the same thing they do with the Creator Expert cars and release one every year. I think they would have three planned out, an electric (crocodile), steam, and diesel just to see the target audience and which one sells the best, and plan off of that.

16 hours ago, Duq said:

Not holding my breath... There won't be another Creator Expert - they won't want to compete with the Croc.

I agree that a new engine this year is not very likely. But maybe a product that complements the Crocodile instead of competing with it?

There are several Creator Expert cars on shelves at the same time, same should be possible for trains. Wishful thinking...

Anyway, I will get this and this in 2021 if Lego doesn't want my money. ;-)

Edited by legotownlinz

It would be nice to get another steam loco at some point, hopefully with some somewhat detailed valve gear. Either way, i hope creator expert trains become like creator expert cars. The crocodile has been sold out more than the fiat 500 has this year so far, so theres clearly a demand for trains, i just think the 18+ branding needs removing. I got the croc finally the other day, and there wasnt anyhting id say was 18+ about it, other than maybe the gears in the central portion, and the pantographs are a bit fiddly for younger kids maybe. I am hopeful that we get more creator expert trains though, either in 2021 or 2022...

On 11/24/2020 at 10:21 AM, brownie5968 said:

It would be nice to get another steam loco at some point, hopefully with some somewhat detailed valve gear. Either way, i hope creator expert trains become like creator expert cars. The crocodile has been sold out more than the fiat 500 has this year so far, so theres clearly a demand for trains, i just think the 18+ branding needs removing. I got the croc finally the other day, and there wasnt anyhting id say was 18+ about it, other than maybe the gears in the central portion, and the pantographs are a bit fiddly for younger kids maybe. I am hopeful that we get more creator expert trains though, either in 2021 or 2022...

I'm worried that they'll cop out on the rods like they did with the crocodile. It's odd how Lego doesn't seem to understand how the wheels/rods/valves are the most visually interesting part of any steam locomotive, and deserve the most attention. Hell, remember the Lone Ranger locomotive? They didn't even try.

4 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

I'm worried that they'll cop out on the rods like they did with the crocodile. It's odd how Lego doesn't seem to understand how the wheels/rods/valves are the most visually interesting part of any steam locomotive, and deserve the most attention. Hell, remember the Lone Ranger locomotive? They didn't even try.

Lego is an odd company that way. A beautiful build with stupid rods, someone should do something about that (grin). But seriously though, the Lego police would never stand for a new part that is so specialized without a licensee like Disney insisting on the part. In any event, given how easy it is to mess up quartering the wheels I'm surprised they make any steam engines (or electric with side rods) at all.

Probably the best fix for quartering the wheels would be to have a blank "guide hole" in the right spot on each side (blanked in the wrong spot) and show the driver wheels going on with a temporary technic axle that aligns with the guide hole.

Quartering is exactly the problem. For a play set like the Lone Ranger train they would get way too many frustrated kids with a train that keeps getting stuck.

Just found something which though not actually specifically train news, makes the chances of getting one higher in 2021.

On this site the advanced Models section at the top lists 5 sets:

10278 Police Station

10280 Flower Bouquet

10281 Bonsai Tree

10283 ?

10295 ?

The important thing here is not what these particular sets are, but actually their numbers.  10278 up to 10295 inclusive is 18 expert sets in one year at least.  I think this raises the chances of a new expert train next year, or something related...

Edited by Vilhelm22

55 minutes ago, legotownlinz said:

It could also be a typo.

Unfortunately, yes, it could be. But I'm really hoping it's not!

I think for a train the type we have the highest chance of getting is a steam train.  An electric immediately after an electric won't happen, and I think a diesel would be too much competition for the Crocodile, as they are generally far more similar in looks than the steam vs diesel/electric.  Here's hoping....

2 hours ago, legotownlinz said:

It could also be a typo.

But I'm confident we will get a train. My hope for a train set is mostly based on strong competition.

What kind of competition are you thinking of? I don't really think the high-end kits offered at BTD, BMR and Brickmania are competition, since they're costly and too niche - on the other hand, companies like Bluebrixx  will be in business either way, since what they lack in quality both in design and material, they make up with their cheap prices, so their customers will still buy their stuff. Lego puts itself in a spot with no real competition in a sort of a medium price range, I'd say.

I'd prefer a new steam loco myself, but I hope for one with a somewhat realistic solution for the rods.

Actually I find BlueBrixx trains a step above the typical LEGO city ones in regards to design but several steps below most quality train builds here or elsewhere including the high-end kits mentioned above.

Just compare these three offerings:

102750_1.jpg

51Nk1Lq5K+L.jpg

b054be_db30959daacf42249b7629f6f851bba8~

Edited by dtomsen

Hm, yeah. You got a point there, I have to admit - guess I thought about stuff like the Crocodile or the Disney train with Lego, but yeah, the regular City train is a bit lacking compared to some of the BB stuff.

4 minutes ago, Amoreternum said:

Hm, yeah. You got a point there, I have to admit - guess I thought about stuff like the Crocodile or the Disney train with Lego, but yeah, the regular City train is a bit lacking compared to some of the BB stuff.

Yeah LEGO sets like the Emerald Night, Maersk and Crocodile are all great but we unfortunately have to wait years between those.

Hopefully increased competion will shorten that waiting :classic: 

7 hours ago, Amoreternum said:

What kind of competition are you thinking of?

This week I ordered the Tibet railway train. No idea what the quality will be, but the design is great and if there are no serious issues with this set then it competes with Lego's Creator Expert trains. And there are more such trains.

I have not bought any of the Bluebrixx trains because they are not designed well and the quality of the bricks is said to be mediocre. I don't understand why they have chosen 6-wide over 7- or 8-wide despite claiming that their sets are made for AFOLs.