DHal

The clutch of 42112 is necessary?

I'm trying to build the 42112 cement truck from my parts. It uses a new clutch,

I didn't have one and I did not want to buy either. Instead of the instructions I went into this way

clutch.png.d081958ab2cc65619a1d207581cc2e46.png

Instead of the Gear 24, I've used gear 24 tooth clutch. I don't see that this design lack of any property of the original. Am I missing something?

How I can really compare that if I don't have the new clutch?

It seems working.  Then

What is the rationale behind using the new cultch here?

20 minutes ago, DHal said:

What is the rationale behind using the new cultch here? 

The new clutch is cheaper to produce. Does not have to be preassembled and uses no metal parts.

Clutch is used to secure the model if a kid rotates the drum by hand without pushing/driving the truck.

I think the opposite of what @Anio said is the more likely scenario: someone is bound to hold the truck by grabbing the barrel, and then push the truck. Without the clutch, this could twist and damage the mechanism.

Edited by astyanax
grammar

49 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Also, good luck with the drum. Can't wait to see how you pull that off with your own parts.

Sorry, the main missing part is the new clutch. I've the drum.

@Anio and @astyanax , Instead of the new clutch I'm using the old one.

@Gumalca that is a good point, however, they have different construction that we can't replace them directly. There is a gear 24 on the path from drum to drive that I can replace it with the old one.

3 hours ago, DHal said:

Sorry, the main missing part is the new clutch. I've the drum.

@Anio and @astyanax , Instead of the new clutch I'm using the old one.

@Gumalca that is a good point, however, they have different construction that we can't replace them directly. There is a gear 24 on the path from drum to drive that I can replace it with the old one.

New clutch is stronger and old clutch gear. But I think TLG used new clutch just for supply new clutch parts. All other model with include new clutch is much expensive than 42112.

Or.... maybe, really maybe, old clutch gear will discontinue?

5 hours ago, msk6003 said:

Or.... maybe, really maybe, old clutch gear will discontinue?

This would be bad (and strange) because it is functionally different, so it allows builds that the linear clutch doesn't and vice versa.

23 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Why not test the model and find out?

OK. I've built the set ( not fully though ), the gear 24 tooth clutch works fine.

The new clutch seems to have an awfully high slipping torque. If it was slipping regularly I would be concerned about twisting axles, etc.

The new clutch was a bit of a mystery at first.. but when you roll the model on a smooth surface very fast and grab the spinning barrel.. the new clutch took the weight of the spinning barrel and the centerfulge is enough to damage your  axle.. It is recommended to have one installed.