Paperinik77pk

[MOC] DB BR98.3 "Glaskasten" - 12v

Hi all,

this time I propose a real build, it's not completely new - many of you surely has seen it in some of my digital renderings, but was never built.

I finished it yesterday, when the red motor finally was repaired and the missing rare 2x2 black window arrived.

To create this one, my third copy of 7810 was used as donor for the baseplate and black windows. So I decided to keep the 7810 number when I chose the stickers (the renderings have 7730 decals). Just to explain, all my MOC locomotives keep numbering of original Lego sets from which are derived in terms of parts.

To celebrate its arrival, I used my small 12v test track.

Lego BR98.3 "Glaskasten" - 12v

As you can see is a very simple build, standardized in 12v style adding the black side doors (absolutely not present in the prototype), and 5 2x2 black windows.

The red motor was a must- I tried to use the black one - but it wasn't the same thing!!! This motor was not running anymore, so I bought a black one in bad aesthetic conditions as donor. I removed the electric motor from black shell, cleaned all inner parts, reinforced  the red shell internally with some superglue (it had some cracks), changed axles (using the ones from black motor) and performed a test. Once the test was ok - I finally glued the two parts of the red shell.

Even if the chassis is common to other locomotives, it seems very small.

The inside is small aswell, and I only could fit a lever in 7750 style. You can see the 12v light brick and its cables. I bought some 12v light microbulbs - maybe I will succeed to light up also the rear headlight when going in reverse.

Even if it has no weight bricks, it still has a decent pulling power and runs fine with small wagons. Now it needs its own set of cars.:sweet:

I hope you like it!!!

Ciao, Davide

Hi Davide,

a nice little build in the style from a time when things were easier!

But to be honest - that Ape (No, not "Monkey"! "Bee"! :wink:) in the background is intriguing me even more...
:wub:

Edited by Tenderlok

Bellissima! :wub:

This locomotive is an icon, and see a so beautiful model for the old 12V system is a miracle! :excited:

I love the shape and the rare red motor!

Amazing details also on the background ...I love the little light bulb (the trans-yellow round brick with the black tile 1 x 1)! :pir-huzzah2:

13 minutes ago, Tenderlok said:

Hi Davide,

a nice little build in the style from a time when things were easier!

But to be honest - that Ape (No, not "Monkey"! "Bee"! :wink:) in the background is intriguing me even more...
:wub:

Thanks Sven!!!

As you know, I like bigger things and sometimes I try to make some complex things...but I love the simplicity of the past...and in this moment I find it ...relaxing.

That little thing in the background is absolutely a Piaggio Ape, made (in last 70s/first 80s style) with my daughter years ago, and this explains the fact that it has a side sticker with pencils and other drawing-related stuff :laugh:...it was made after we read together an old book of mine "Cars and Trucks and things that go" - by Richard Scarry :wub:

I think to be one of the few loving three-wheeled things...I even like the Reliant Robin/Regal! I will buy an Ape , some day or another, when I'll finally live in the country!!! :devil:

Ciao!

Davide

Very very nice! Love the high-quality photos on the small 12v layout. I'm hopefully going to order 2 electric points and 2 signals tomorrow! Love the design, it looks pretty compact and I love that you were able to fit a light brick in the front. I don't own one of the red motors (yet...) but I can definitely appreciate the rarity and aesthetics. Also, that 7777 loco in the back looks awesome!

29 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Bellissima! :wub:

This locomotive is an icon, and see a so beautiful model for the old 12V system is a miracle! :excited:

I love the shape and the rare red motor!

Amazing details also on the background ...I love the little light bulb (the trans-yellow round brick with the black tile 1 x 1)! :pir-huzzah2:

Grazie Emanuele!!!

The red motor is great, pity there are so few around.:wub:

I am making some experiments, such trying dual shaft replacement motors (Motraxx) and an absolute blasphemy like wrapping the ruined black body in some adhesive red film...it seems to work, but the film has a darker red tone. I'll post results as soon as I'll get a decent solution! :laugh:

That little transparent thing should have been a lamp used for inspection - I totally forgot it there when I made the photo! :laugh:

Just now, Tenderlok said:

Me, too!
Do you know the Tempo Hanseat? There's also a Lego model of it:
https://www.1000steine.de/de/gemeinschaft/forum/?entry=1&id=363016

I know it!, Great!!! The front One Wheel Drive vehicle!!! Take a look at Flickr photos - near the yellow shed you can find a blue one! :wink:

Edited by Paperinik77pk

15 minutes ago, Paperinik77pk said:

near the yellow shed you can find a blue one!

Very nice!

By the way:

25 minutes ago, Paperinik77pk said:

I will buy an Ape , some day or another

Every time I see one (surprisingly there's quite a few of them running round here) I wonder whether I (1.94 m tall) would fit inside... someday I'll ask an Ape owner if I may try, but I fear I'll have to consult my orthopedist afterwards.... :laugh:

Edited by Tenderlok

3 minutes ago, Reker1000000 said:

Very very nice! Love the high-quality photos on the small 12v layout. I'm hopefully going to order 2 electric points and 2 signals tomorrow! Love the design, it looks pretty compact and I love that you were able to fit a light brick in the front. I don't own one of the red motors (yet...) but I can definitely appreciate the rarity and aesthetics. Also, that 7777 loco in the back looks awesome!

Thank you very much - go on with 12v!!! :laugh:

Good eye to spot the big lady in the background!

She's the bigger sister to my 7777, but it's an heavy duty BR50. It's the second my 12v steam MOC, being the BR78 the first one(and one of my first posts in Eurobricks) :classic:

Then I started with Iconic diesels :classic:

Those are beautiful! I wish I had the parts to build one, but alas, shipping is EXPENSIVE to the US and I have almost none of the parts there... Maybe someday!

You are channeling the Lego designers of 1979. The little shunter is fantastic and seeing all that 12 v equipment is always amazing

On 11/18/2020 at 10:04 PM, Reker1000000 said:

Those are beautiful! I wish I had the parts to build one, but alas, shipping is EXPENSIVE to the US and I have almost none of the parts there... Maybe someday!

Have patience and buy good sets only - spending a bit more sometimes is better! :wink:

On 11/18/2020 at 10:14 PM, Pdaitabird said:

Nice little locomotive! I had never heard of this one before, but you've really captured its essence in the 12v style!

Thanks you very much!!! :laugh:

On 11/19/2020 at 4:26 PM, zephyr1934 said:

You are channeling the Lego designers of 1979. The little shunter is fantastic and seeing all that 12 v equipment is always amazing

Lego BR98.3 - Glaskasten 12v - in 70s style

So let's challenge a bit also designers of 1974! :wink: Here's a 12v version - this time in Blue Era style!

@LEGO Train 12 Volts - someone mentioned a yellow rod and this one came out :laugh:

Thanks to both for the inspiration!!!

Davide