11 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

the only thing remotely enticing is the Ferrari, because im a Ferrari fan, but even there €180 for a 42077 reshell seems a bit too much like a rip off.

I have the same opinion. I like Ferrari, but honestly: I have the 42077, and it's enough for me, I don't need another one. Plus, I bought mine for 100€, and I am not ready to pay 180€ only because it's Ferrari.

1 hour ago, chlego said:

I have the same opinion. I like Ferrari, but honestly: I have the 42077, and it's enough for me, I don't need another one. Plus, I bought mine for 100€, and I am not ready to pay 180€ only because it's Ferrari. 

I did buy 42096 (at a discount, i think i paid €110), and while i did enjoy that quite a lot, i followed it up with the Chiron and the GT3RS, and with those two sets built, the RSR looks a whole lot less impressive in retrospect, im not sure i could build the Ferrari now and be satisfied, especially given the large amount of mods it needs to looks well and be sturdy, never mind the amount of functions.

If lego wants to charge a premium for these 1:10 cars, they really to step up their game and make them "light" versions of the 1:8 hypercars, so at least a proper gearbox (can be a 4-spd with a stick seq shifter for simplicity) and some proper suspension/ride height. The defender hit that mark pretty well, the RSR and 488.... not so much

2 hours ago, vectormatic said:

They did it before in 42022, but that set cost a lot less.

Honestly, given the quality issues with recent sets, both in terms of part quality (Sian) and just poor design choices (this, the rubber band drive on the ducati, the mysteriously unreliable defender drivetrain to name a few), im getting fed up with lego, especially given the ever rising price. I dont even know what i would want to buy from this wave, the only thing remotely enticing is the Ferrari, because im a Ferrari fan, but even there €180 for a 42077 reshell seems a bit too much like a rip off.

Dark ages 2.0 i guess

Well, if one limits one's scope to Technic cars/bikes, then I can see how things wouldn't look too great, and this last batch miss the mark for me too. But the Sian was a fantastic and satisfying build for me with only very minor colour variation, and the Ducati also was a really great set, with the rubber band easy to swap out for gears. Fortunately I have wider Lego interests, so there is plenty still outside of Technic and cars to hold my attention and engage my wallet. And while it's unfortunate that these latest Technic cars are not the best, MOCing remains an option for those unsatisfied with the official sets being offered. And if you're still not keen on the Sian, then there are a lot of great custom alternate builds out there that make getting extra copies of the Creator Mustang very tempting.

1 hour ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

Well, if one limits one's scope to Technic cars/bikes, then I can see how things wouldn't look too great, and this last batch miss the mark for me too. But the Sian was a fantastic and satisfying build for me with only very minor colour variation, and the Ducati also was a really great set, with the rubber band easy to swap out for gears. Fortunately I have wider Lego interests, so there is plenty still outside of Technic and cars to hold my attention and engage my wallet. And while it's unfortunate that these latest Technic cars are not the best, MOCing remains an option for those unsatisfied with the official sets being offered. And if you're still not keen on the Sian, then there are a lot of great custom alternate builds out there that make getting extra copies of the Creator Mustang very tempting.

True, im not very into cranes and other construction/transport related stuff, i was actually moderately interested in the Osprey, but we all know how that went...

The Ducati is an excellent set imho, the rubber band is my only gripe, and i swapped that out for gears as well, i really do not understand why lego didnt design it that way, but ah well. Otherwise it is an amazing set, completely blows away all my other motorcyles

As for the Sian, i am slightly tempted, because i enjoyed the GT3RS and Chiron a lot, and seeing them on display makes me happy every time i see them, but im not a huuuge fan of the Sian in terms of looks, and honestly, i dont feel like rolling the dice on the colour-differences. Some people report very minor problems, and then there are posts of recent purchases with quite a lot of variance, and a €380 set shouldnt be a gamble imho..

Ive gotten sucked into collecting historical tanks from other brick companies (all legit and european by the way), so there is that, but technic, and lego is fading from my interest. Every set i find interesting on first glance seems to have some glaring design problem (like this McLaren missing a diff) which i find very hard to accept, and to some extent The GT3RS and Chiron have let the genie out of the box, and where i enjoyed 42000 and 42039 at the time, they (and their offspring, 42077, 42096, 42110, 42125 to name a few) all fall short.

5 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

True, im not very into cranes and other construction/transport related stuff, i was actually moderately interested in the Osprey, but we all know how that went...

The Ducati is an excellent set imho, the rubber band is my only gripe, and i swapped that out for gears as well, i really do not understand why lego didnt design it that way, but ah well. Otherwise it is an amazing set, completely blows away all my other motorcyles

As for the Sian, i am slightly tempted, because i enjoyed the GT3RS and Chiron a lot, and seeing them on display makes me happy every time i see them, but im not a huuuge fan of the Sian in terms of looks, and honestly, i dont feel like rolling the dice on the colour-differences. Some people report very minor problems, and then there are posts of recent purchases with quite a lot of variance, and a €380 set shouldnt be a gamble imho..

Ive gotten sucked into collecting historical tanks from other brick companies (all legit and european by the way), so there is that, but technic, and lego is fading from my interest. Every set i find interesting on first glance seems to have some glaring design problem (like this McLaren missing a diff) which i find very hard to accept, and to some extent The GT3RS and Chiron have let the genie out of the box, and where i enjoyed 42000 and 42039 at the time, they (and their offspring, 42077, 42096, 42110, 42125 to name a few) all fall short.

I'd recommend the Sian for the build experience despite the colour variance, but maybe not if you aren't a fan of the appearance. Easy fixes like the Ducati rubber band don't concern me, but as you've said, sets with issues like the ride height and structural integrity of the new Ferrari are much more frustrating, as it would be a major project to get that one up to scratch. Overall though, it's a good time to be a Lego fan with the company's new focus on the adult market. We're probably due a more sporty creator expert car soon as well. But if you're interest is waning then maybe take a break and wait for a future quality model to bring you back in. (BTW, if you're collecting clone brand historic tanks you might have some of my work, depending on the brand.)

49 minutes ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

I'd recommend the Sian for the build experience despite the colour variance, but maybe not if you aren't a fan of the appearance. Easy fixes like the Ducati rubber band don't concern me, but as you've said, sets with issues like the ride height and structural integrity of the new Ferrari are much more frustrating, as it would be a major project to get that one up to scratch. Overall though, it's a good time to be a Lego fan with the company's new focus on the adult market. We're probably due a more sporty creator expert car soon as well. But if you're interest is waning then maybe take a break and wait for a future quality model to bring you back in. (BTW, if you're collecting clone brand historic tanks you might have some of my work, depending on the brand.)

Yeah, the building experience is what draws me into the Sian, but i dont like the headlights much, and the colour issues just kill my enthusiasm. If it had been a different lambo i might have been able to look past that, but the sian just isnt a dream lambo for me. I guess ill take a break for a bit, focussing too much on these reviews always bums me out a bit.

As for the military stuff, i collect Cobi, and from what i can tell they havent ripped off any designs, i have seen cobi rip-offs on the regular chinese sites though (although i refuse to buy those)

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Quite surprised by the fact that the McLaren is the cheapest/part.

8 hours ago, vectormatic said:

Yeah, the building experience is what draws me into the Sian, but i dont like the headlights much, and the colour issues just kill my enthusiasm. If it had been a different lambo i might have been able to look past that, but the sian just isnt a dream lambo for me. I guess ill take a break for a bit, focussing too much on these reviews always bums me out a bit.

As for the military stuff, i collect Cobi, and from what i can tell they havent ripped off any designs, i have seen cobi rip-offs on the regular chinese sites though (although i refuse to buy those)

That's one drawback of current licenses - we all want the classic cars that made the brands famous, but the brands themselves want to promote their latest models instead.

I haven't designed for Cobi, but can send you a PM if you want more info.

11 hours ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

That's one drawback of current licenses - we all want the classic cars that made the brands famous, but the brands themselves want to promote their latest models instead.

Yeah, which i totally get, and honestly i wouldnt mind a huracan or Aventador or whatever (id love a Miura though), so its not that i dont like modern lambos, i just dont like the sian :P I guess the headlights are a bit too much for me.

Here is my building review of the set, I have to say that I liked it very much (but I still hate to apply stickers :grin: )

2 hours ago, kbalage said:

Here is my building review of the set, I have to say that I liked it very much (but I still hate to apply stickers :grin: )

Are you not bounded by the Jan 1st embargo date?

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

He purchased in a store so no embargo 

3 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

As I mentioned in the video this set was not sent by LEGO as I managed to buy it in a local shop earlier. In such cases we are allowed to publish earlier than the official embargo, obviously with a proper proof of purchase and a legit source (no Ebay, not fallen from the truck or smuggled from the factory etc).

Thanks for the review @kbalage. This set seems to be a fun build - at least if you don't apply the stickers. :tongue:  It's a bit of a shame there's no differential, but I guess the Lego designers would have found a way to add one if it were possible to do it without sacrificing the structural integrity and keep the model buildable for 10-year-olds.

6 hours ago, Leewan said:

Thanks for the review @kbalage. This set seems to be a fun build - at least if you don't apply the stickers. :tongue:  It's a bit of a shame there's no differential, but I guess the Lego designers would have found a way to add one if it were possible to do it without sacrificing the structural integrity and keep the model buildable for 10-year-olds.

I was quite surprised to see the level of outrage caused by the lack of differential among the comments... the design of the rear section is quite unique with the different angles used and a differential simply does not fit there easily:

P1099581_EB_ret.jpg.e8779afaf980d9dfc6c852e786cf4434.jpgP1099580_EB_ret.jpg.c6514b9aacb6b6b10effc644fda856d6.jpg

I know the current setup with the gears is not realistic, but honestly the rear wheels driving the fake engine is not realistic either so I don't think that should be a dealbraker. The set is perfectly playable with this setup and that matters more for the target audience.

Any ideas on how to remove the printing on the wheel arch?

Don't fancy adding all those stickers but like the blue 

7 hours ago, kbalage said:

I know the current setup with the gears is not realistic, but honestly the rear wheels driving the fake engine is not realistic either so I don't think that should be a dealbraker. The set is perfectly playable with this setup and that matters more for the target audience.

EDIT: please ignore this reply, I’ve thought about it for some time and am now satisfied r.e. the lack of a differential.

This begs the following question:

How would you feel if they removed the engine and drivetrain completely?

A differential is an important mechanical and aesthetic component to a car’s drivetrain. They came for both with the Wrangler, despite someone here instantly showing that it’s very much possible to fit an entire drivetrain and realistic suspension system into the compact chassis.

I don’t like the argument that “it doesn’t matter for the target audience”. It’s lazy and dismisses the importance of functions to the Technic theme.

The fact that it’s still playable even without a differential is irrelevant, because a differential would have given exactly the same outcome.

Edited by Bartybum

3 hours ago, nahpets said:

Any ideas on how to remove the printing on the wheel arch?

Don't fancy adding all those stickers but like the blue 

A good eraser should easily do the trick.

42 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

It’s lazy and dismisses the importance of functions to the Technic theme.

You have to keep in mind that the people at Lego work with constraints whose importance overcomes that of the functions. They have to make sure the model can be built by the target audience (which includes ease of building and safety constraints), they have to make sure the cost of the parts fits within a certain budget (and perhaps including a differential was possible but required to many parts and thus was too expensive), in the case of licensed sets they have to meet certain requirements asked by the IP holder (and I think here if the rear axle and engine are inclined it's because McLaren wanted it, I haven't built the set yet but right now I can't think of a reason why Lego would want to do that)...

It's easy to fit an entire drivetrain and realistic suspension system into the compact chassis of the Wrangler when you do it for yourself and you don't have to care about all of that.

EDIT: after more consideration, it does seem that a differential would indeed not be possible to fit in the rear axle without shifting the engine forwards or the rear axle backwards.

The price is still a big shame, but I can now accept that the lack of a differential probably isn’t for lack of trying.

Edited by Bartybum

On 12/24/2020 at 8:08 PM, Bartybum said:

The price is still a big shame, but I can now accept that the lack of a differential probably isn’t for lack of trying.

I believe the price in Australia isn't that good but in the U.S. it would be considered a bargain...

On 12/25/2020 at 2:39 AM, Leewan said:

A good eraser should easily do the trick.

Do they really come off so easily? I've chosen not to buy sets with large printed parts like this, cause they're pretty much useless in MOCs.

What was the date and the country you got the set?

Here I was told they'll not be imported by the official importer for at least another month...

Just now, GTS said:

What was the date and the country you got the set?

Here I was told they'll not be imported by the official importer for at least another month...

This one was available in Norway just after Christmas - 27th Dec i believe. Is there an unofficial place you could buy from instead perhaps?

3 hours ago, Baelyrn said:

Do they really come off so easily? I've chosen not to buy sets with large printed parts like this, cause they're pretty much useless in MOCs.

On smaller parts, it takes only a few minutes to completely remove a print, and I guess it shouldn't take much longer here. I've already used this technique myself a few times (on minifig torsos, a Nexo Knights shield, and on a CCBS torso, for example). What's important is to use a good eraser (mine is a Staedtler Mars Plastic) so you won't have to spend hours on it and the result will be cleaner.