3 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

No differential.

*my disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined*

To be fair it is hard to put a differential in here

No description available.

A differential has a diameter of 3.2 studs, which requires a one stud space in front of and above and under it.

Looks like it will fit on the Transporter (42098) then? 12cm wide is the same as the ZR1 which fits. Though this is 3cm longer, so maybe too long?

NO DIFF??? I mean wth is going on? They could have used at least the small new one, but I mean NO DIFF???

The car isn't that satisfying to me, I'll probably buy the Jeep. Honestly I was quite looking forward to this since I really like the Senna. But I am very disappointed by this set. Makes me sad.

One wheel drive, what a joke on a 55 euro set

The corvette was an interesting start, but both this and the jeep come with a serious pricr increase yet drop features

15 hours ago, chlego said:

NO DIFF??? I mean wth is going on? They could have used at least the small new one, but I mean NO DIFF???

As far as im aware there is no small new differential.

59 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

As far as im aware there is no small new differential.

I mean the one from the 42109. I'm sure they could have found a way to insert it.

11 minutes ago, chlego said:

I mean the one from the 42109. I'm sure they could have found a way to insert it.

The new one from 42109 has the same diameter as the old one. Both have 28 teeth and a diameter of 3.2 studs.

6 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The new one from 42109 has the same diameter as the old one.

But it isn't that long, is it? There's always a way to squeeze things in. Even if we could see the diff, I'd still be more pleased than now.

I guess we'll have to do some modding, but that's ok.

It would be a matter of using more half-beams. I am always surprised how sparse half-beams are in sets, versus how often I use them in my MOCs.

Replacing those dark-gray transverse 9L beams with 5L half beams in the middle and 3L at the ends, you can create an opening of 4x3 studs in the middle that can house a differential.

It's not hard. The chosen solution proves (to me) that TLC thinks that most people in the target audience don't care.

12 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

Replacing those dark-gray transverse 9L beams with 5L half beams in the middle and 3L at the ends, you can create an opening of 4x3 studs in the middle that can house a differential.

That's not enough. The 28z gear will also rub into this part above the 9L beam.

4211880.jpg

16 hours ago, vectormatic said:

One wheel drive, what a joke on a 55 euro set

Oh no. That's a deal-breaker for me.

I could have put up with no diff, but 1WD is just lazy and poor design for what is supposed to be a Technic model.

56 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

That's not enough. The 28z gear will also rub into this part above the 9L beam.

Or differential (before 42109 set) could be dislocated to one side and use 20 tooth double bevel gear that transmits motion to 12 tooth double bevel gear that is mounted on engine?

They could offset the differential longitudally by 2 studs and use parallel gear to get the drive back to the wheels.

Edited by Zerobricks

6 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Or differential (before 42109 set) could be dislocated to one side and use 20 tooth double bevel gear that transmits motion to 12 tooth double bevel gear that is mounted on engine?

That doesn't work either. Either version of the differential and the gear that meshes with it, be it a 12z or 20z, all require no liftarm under it. Moving it to either side only compromises the structure of that side. The only place that can afford no liftarm under the differential is right at the center. The current design already has some liftarm under it, but fixing that is easy.

131640689_416878749739273_83863221573746

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

There has to be that way; but only with extra parts on engine to make it more narrow, but it would compromise lots of rear structure...

5 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

There has to be that way; but only with extra parts on engine to make it more narrow, but it would compromise lots of rear structure...

If there's a way to fix the two liftarms that hold the 8 pistons only at in front connectors, then we can get rid of these parts in the rear completely. 

4211714.jpg  4211880.jpg

And then there will be space for a differential.

I think I've come up with a way to incorporate a differential-ish design. It's not gonna be a real differential, as there is no space, but it can work like one.

131640689_416878749739273_83863221573746

The distance between the two outer most red connectors is 7 studs.

My idea is to use a 6L linear clutch like this one. A 12z gear will be inserted between the oo connector and the ++ connector.

191.jpg

I'd get rid of the three way brace and two red connectors in the passenger's side. And then the axle will go like this:

wheel -  ++ connector - 12z gear - oo connector - ++ connector - wheel

20 hours ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

Oh no. That's a deal-breaker for me.

I could have put up with no diff, but 1WD is just lazy and poor design for what is supposed to be a Technic model.

They did it before in 42022, but that set cost a lot less.

Honestly, given the quality issues with recent sets, both in terms of part quality (Sian) and just poor design choices (this, the rubber band drive on the ducati, the mysteriously unreliable defender drivetrain to name a few), im getting fed up with lego, especially given the ever rising price. I dont even know what i would want to buy from this wave, the only thing remotely enticing is the Ferrari, because im a Ferrari fan, but even there €180 for a 42077 reshell seems a bit too much like a rip off.

Dark ages 2.0 i guess