The more i see it, the more i like the side profile though, has a hint of Honda NSX to it somehow, and various other mid engined cars.

Could make a very good base for various modifications, put a proper diff in there, perhaps squeeze in a proper V6, some small body mods and youve got a really cool sportscar

17 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Even if there is a differential, why would they use the new one in a set that isn't motorised?

that is a good point :thumbup:

I think it (differential) is a bit dislocated ...

Finally, some normal, original Blue colored model. I would have loved if there were more parts in blue though, but addition of those panels is great.

5 minutes ago, zux said:

Finally, some normal, original Blue colored model. I would have loved if there were more parts in blue though, but addition of those panels is great.

True. Too bad they didn't use the new frictionless Technic pins in yellow or more red axles in an otherwise black-gray-blue model scheme for the sake of consistency. :wink:

Isn't it ironic that the original blue has less Technic panels available than the dark blue and the dark azure blue, despite being around for longer.

6 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Isn't it ironic that the original blue has less Technic panels available than the dark blue and the dark azure blue, despite being around for longer.

They’ve never released a large car in this color, at least not with the current style panels. 

Official Images and 3D view of the model are available on lego.com. They don't show the back axle construction.

At 0:11, we can see that the drive train for the engine is right in front of the rear wheels. The axle with the LBG connector is the steer axle.

Hmm, looking at the pics and 3d model on lego.com, i think if there was a diff in there, we would have been able to catch a glimpse of it, so im affraid no diff...

Also, being confronted with images of the actual McLaren, am i the only one who thinks the lego model looks better then the real thing?

And one last observation, lego.com lists it as available on dec 26th, which IIRC is typical every year, but that makes the jan 1st embargo date a tad strange..

3 hours ago, Jurss said:

If pictures are available, then @Sariel is allowed to clarify this - about differential? At least - yes/no.

@Jurss I'm not allowed to clarify anything before the embargo date.

Edited by Sariel

5 hours ago, Jockos said:

I just can't see it being red. How is that possible?

On other pics, the front reddish brown axles look more reddish.

On the video, it clearly appears reddish brown.

On one of the photos I got from press release, it clearly appears red.

I suppose the video is more accurate and so it is reddish brown.

Just now, LvdH said:

The photos on the LEGO site definitely show LBG axles at the rear wheel.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/mclaren-senna-gtr-42123

Perhaps there is something more here

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2020/11/19/lego-technic-reveals-new-42123-mclaren-senna-gtr-with-830-pieces-news/

it looks to me that engine is indeed higher than rear axle; question about differential is still actual...

2 minutes ago, LvdH said:

The photos on the LEGO site definitely show LBG axles at the rear wheel.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/mclaren-senna-gtr-42123

Only on the left side, the right rear side is reddish brown, its just that nearly every photo is showing the left side, only the pic of the car on the book, and the 3d model show the right side

I'm glad the official pictures looked even better than the leaks! For me, it's a huge improvement over 42093 and the price is a bargain, especially considering that it's a licensed set. I think I'll get it as soon as it's released...

3 hours ago, vectormatic said:

@Gumalca @I_Igor

Even if it is (which i cant quite make up from the pics, not sure if there is room for the stop), the reddish brown axle with stop is only available in 3L and 5L, not 8L (that one is DBG), so i dont see how that would work in a ~15 wide chassis with the diff in the middle. And besides that, im not sure what to point would be, sure pulling a driveshaft from a diff is annoying, but from wahat i can tell the gears cant fall out of the new diff if the axles are pulled out, so in the grand scheme it is a minor inconvenience.

Sorry to add even more confusion, but there are other axles in reddish brown color

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=44294&colorID=88&in=A

and 2 7 studs long axles including rear differential equals 15 studs...

I think this is quite an excellent set for the price, even without a differential (good for modding). I’m surprised to see that the 1x3 axle/pin connector with two axles and one pinhole is in blue! I don’t think that piece has ever been recolored.

3 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

I think this is quite an excellent set for the price, even without a differential (good for modding). I’m surprised to see that the 1x3 axle/pin connector with two axles and one pinhole is in blue! I don’t think that piece has ever been recolored.

It's a new part introduced in 2017 so no big deal to get a recolor. Would have looked crap otherwise since no dbg part is on the exterior. The curved panel 3x5x3 for the seats could have been black as in the original car. Maybe Uwe wanted the same interior color as in his Lambo.

Just now, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Uwe Wabra worked on this set. Why does he always get to do the cool things?

I don't know that for sure if he is the designer.

Well, he did work on the 42070. Nobody is perfect.

Just now, R0Sch said:

I don't know that for sure if he is the designer.

“Recreating a car that is so extreme to the core as the McLaren Senna GTR with LEGO Technic gave us an incredibly interesting challenge” says Uwe Wabra, Senior Designer, LEGO Technic.

https://brickset.com/article/54795/technic-mclaren-senna-gtr-revealed!

@I_Igor good find, although i highly doubt lego is going to bring back a part in a colour used once, 9 years ago, just for the purpose of making us lose our minds about differentials :P

@R0Sch I thought the same when looking at the picture you posted, if there was a diff in there, you wouldnt be able to see the smal glimmer of light all the way through

I think the set looks good, and with the part count i can sort of accept the €10 pricerise from 42093, but the lack of a diff really puts me off. Im sure ill probably cave in and buy this set in a weak moment, but rationally speaking it is definitely on the "build from spares, then modify" list.