evancelt

[GOC-FB-COR] Hussar's Isle Semaphore

Royal Navy Intelligence has begun deploying semaphore optical telegraph stations across the Brick Seas. Relay towers with a semaphore rig at the top are built within line of sight of each other to allow rapid textual communication between islands and ships.

Hussar's Isle, the north-western-most of the Rider Islands near Cocovia is often the first sight sailors behold, and an important strategic location for both civilian and military navigation. As such, the admiralty has made it a priority to get the semaphore tower there operational as soon as possible.

The intelligence officers at the Hussar's Isle semaphore tower scan the horizon looking for Royal Navy ships. Once communication is made with a ship, they relay messages quickly on to King's Harbor.

Two soldiers stationed at the island's outpost run supplies up to the relay tower.

semaphore-1.jpg

semaphore-2.jpg

semaphore-3.jpg

Built for GoC Strategic Outposts.

OOC: I love the Horatio Hornblower book/movie where they raid a semaphore tower and thought it was an aspect missing from BoBS that could add some more color!

Process shot:

Spoiler

Behind the cliffs are a ton of Duplos for support of the headland.

Shot of the Duplos under the cliffs:

semaphore-duplos.jpg

Edited by evancelt

I was just looking at the Hussar's Isle thread on the weekend for this very task! Looks like you beat me too it and such a great, appropriate subject for the build as well. I like how you kept the harsh rocky coast look of Bregir's original Hussar's Isle MOC. The sprinkling of yellow flowers adds a subtle splash of colour that works quite well. :thumbup: form me for GoC!

Should I license on behalf of the faction for you?

Although you Corries clearly stole the idea from Oleon (which in turn stole the idea from Hornblower :pir-grin:) semaphores are always an interesting topic and a sight to behold.  I really love your rockwork and the shore too!

6 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Should I license on behalf of the faction for you?

Yes, please!

6 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

I was just looking at the Hussar's Isle thread on the weekend for this very task! Looks like you beat me too it and such a great, appropriate subject for the build as well. I like how you kept the harsh rocky coast look of Bregir's original Hussar's Isle MOC. The sprinkling of yellow flowers adds a subtle splash of colour that works quite well. :thumbup: form me for GoC!

Thanks! I built the semaphore rig out of a mast w/ yellow technic arms connected with friction pins. Because the arms were yellow I wanted to add a little color below to balance out the sparse landscape.

Looks like a proper rugged coast line, I can almost feel how windy it is up there :D

Excellent idea to place a semaphore in this location!

11 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Good rock work

6 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

I really love your rockwork

5 hours ago, Fraunces said:

Good stone- and rockwork.

Thanks!

@Ayrlego's WIP with the tree roots going over the edge of the base inspired me to do a "living edge" where the gray rocks jut vertically through the multi-tier black border. The rest of the cliff face was fun to put together.

Edited by evancelt