RocketBoy

(R6 - Ossus - CFS) Unbound on Ossus

*Your entry has earned 6 XP*

1280x900.jpg

"We, the Unbound, welcome all beings who have discovered the presence of more than just the seen. Those who, once blind and indifferent, find that they have stumbled into richer sight. Who sense a mysteriousness that upholds the galaxy, an energy between all things, the entity called henceforth the Force of Life.

Any who have come unbound from the chains of ignorance, whereupon inherited is the burdening desire for knowledge. All who belong to this common thirst, join in our crusade."

-Excerpt from "The Invitation", opening chapter of the First Scripts and Charter of the Unbound, by Archcryptist Morcaster Trin

A group of individuals looking for the truths about the Force have set out on expeditions, sponsored by the CFS member world of Brentaal. Led by the scholarly Archscriptists, some join the Unbound out of religious curiosity, others in a bid for power or truth, but all seeking to learn more about the mysterious energy between all things.
Once a stronghold of an order of force-wielders called "Jedi", Ossus is a rich mine of knowledge waiting to be tapped. Storms scour its surface and thunder rolls across its dunes, a warning to any who would try to plumb its depths.

STORY

Spoiler

800x600.jpg

There is power here.
Power has seeped into the ground.
The stone has groaned for centuries. Storms burn the soil. The wind races over the rocks, howling and bellowing in its course.
The Scriptist has sent us here, our fourth questing so far. This place is rich with history, she says. Lore from which we might learn. If we survive, that is. Though my brushes with the Force of Life are still rare, I don’t need Abay’s connection to feel the conflict and the turmoil that coat the badlands of this planet.
Ossus is a cradle of knowledge, wrapped in danger and death.

“Watch for Craven. Don’t stray into the open,” Rossami says to us all from the back.

“I can see the storms, Rossami,” retorts Abay, before correcting himself. “I’m sorry, that was short.”

Rossami understands. “Planet’s got me on edge, too,” he says.

“There’s darkness here,” I say. “Wars between armies. I don’t think the good guys won.”

Abay looks at me keenly. “Something you’ve sensed?”

I laugh. “The Scriptist told me.”

He nods. “Putting aside the anxiety of our environment…are you excited, Van?”

He can’t see my face. I don’t know what expression is on it, but I’d prefer it not be seen. “I’m always excited, Abay. That’s why I come to wastelands like this instead of gun-running. You better believe gun-running was a lot more profitable.” A flash of lightning a kilometer away crystalized the sand it touched. “And somehow less dangerous.”

“Knowledge is the richest treasure there is,” says the Duros. Somehow I heard Rossami roll his eyes.

I turned to him as we walked. “I know why Abay is here, and you both know why I’m here…what about you, Rossami?”

“I’d really prefer if we kept watch…”

“C’mon, man. Why’re you a Searcher?”

“Hm,” he grunted. “You know how the Empire cracked down on temples, monks, Jedi, that sort of thing? All of ‘em connected to the Force. I spent so much time fighting the Empire, looking into it seemed like another way to rebel.”

“Ha, you must have been a difficult teenager.”

He chuckled in spite of himself. “Anyway, that’s how it started. But you know how the Scriptists are. Trin kept me around.” His gun flew up as he spotted something. “Craven!” he shouted. “Three! On the rocks!”

We turned our weapons on the hunched creatures above us. Abay just used his hand and his connection to the Force of Life. Rossami and I used blasters. Their bodies tumbled into the sand, and we scanned the rocks for survivors. We were clear.

“They’re watching us,” I said. “Why else are they in such small groups?”

“Then why do we keep seeing them?” Rossami growled.

“Perhaps you’re overestimating their ability to stay hidden,” Abay suggested with a smile.

I vented my blaster and frowned. “Clearly, the Sorcerer isn’t as dead as we thought. I know what you said before, but these things aren’t organized without it.”

Abay nodded. “I agree. The creatures are thralls to its power. But until it shows itself, there’s nothing for us to do. Except, that is, exercise caution.”

“Extreme caution,” Rossami said. “No more chatting, you got it? I’m talking to you, Van.”

“Yeah, you’re right,” I said. “Let’s stay alert.”

The ruins loomed ahead. Dark statues of robed figures. Pillars of stone tracing the cliffs. Dark tunnels and torched archives. I can’t believe my parents hung out in places like this. Were all Jedi buildings so dreadful?
                All I wanted was to learn. What they believed, why they died. A higher cause than how I spent my 20s.
                I felt something, in my…spirit, I guess. A tinge of comfort.
                But then something else. Warning. Doom.
                For a moment, the plains ahead of me, the lowlands before the temple, seemed filled with hundreds of blue figures, standing before a red fog. When I blinked, they were gone.
                This would have freaked me out a year ago. But this sort of vision, feeling, I was starting to understand.

“I just had something,” I said. Abay took notice. “A vision,” I explained. “Quick. Figures, not quite here. And a sense of danger.”

“I could’ve told you about the danger part,” muttered Rossami.

“Yes,” Abay nodded. “I saw something too. Expect to be tested, Van. This place is the grave of thousands of force-wielders. I suspect some of them…linger.”

“Abay…” Rossami prodded.

“Yes, come, we must hurry into the catacombs if we are to confuse the Craven.”

That’s right, into the dark.
                Pillars loomed above as we walked, proud statues standing tall. Faces shrouded by hoods. Outstretched hands creased with age and effort. Stone cracked by chaos. The passion of the storm became distant as we passed inside the hollow temple doors.
                The dark sat before us, waiting for our arrival. Knowledge lay hidden in the dark. Death too. A gamble we were prepared for. For the sake of knowledge, for learning. For turning the tide, for opposing true evil. Evil was always with us.

There is power here.
                Power that makes itself known.

800x705.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by RocketBoy

Really nice, this is definitely some of your better landscaping - the colour transitions are particularly good on this one. The figures are also great - especially the one on the right. One small suggestion I would make with the landscaping is trying to use more 1 wide slope rather than those that 2 wide - while I think the larger flat areas fit with the background of this build, 1 wide slopes help to create a more varied realistic landscape for some other settings. A really nice build for the figbarf overall!

A nice little build. Good color choices for your landscape. Not sold on the islander's mask but overall the figs are nice.