wguarnere

[MOC] Volvo G970 Motor grader

Recommended Posts

Before deciding to build my own version of a Lego Technic grader myself, I searched a lot on the internet to find the version that represented the capabilities of this construction equipment. I found a lot of models rather well built but without motorized functions and others with motorized functions but was far from the aesthetics of a real one.

So I looked at how I could make one to my liking and I started by looking at what scale I had to build to be able to integrate all of the hydraulic and power functions, so I built this grader on a scale close to 1:12. I very much hope that you will enjoy my work, because I wanted to share my passion for graders with you, be it with fans of construction equipment and / or Lego. 

Over 4800 parts, with all the functions like a real one, in total there are more than 13 functions which have been integrated into the design, i.e. 7 functions with PF engine (Powertrain, fake engine, fake radiator with a working fan, central articulation, steering, angle of the steered wheels, rotation of the crow), 5 pneumatic functions (sliding blade, angle of the blade, lowering and raising the blade, displacement of the crown from left to right) and 1 function  manual (scarifier).  I am very proud of the result, the non Lego items are 2 x Buwizz, 6 x RC tires, 18 feet of pneumatic hoses, lighting, everything else is 100% Lego brand.

I also made a little video to show you the different functions in motion. I made the instructions and its available on Rebrickable for those who are interested (link here https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-54777/Wguarnere/volvo-g970-motor-grader/#details)

 

IMG_20200822_163350.jpg

 

IMG_20200822_164310.jpg

IMG_20200822_163156.jpg

IMG_20200822_164402.jpg

IMG_20200822_165744.jpg

 

front.jpg

117445512_10157660831051984_557133933085

 

 

Edited by wguarnere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like all the functions you've fit in!  I think road graders are probably some of the most difficult types of construction equipment to replicate with LEGO.  Nicely done!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's one of the most impressive build I've seen. Complex machinery and everything works smoothly. RC tires looks great on the model. Bravo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My compliments! You have nailed it and build the flagship set grader Lego should have brought out all these years. I have argued here often for such as set, but the response is always that this type of machinery is too rare so it will not happen. A real shame because you have shown why graders are so fascinating. The implementation of all the functions is impressive and I also like how you put your grader next to the original for comparison. So thanks for taking up up the challenge and for even creating building instructions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dhc6twinotter said:

I really like all the functions you've fit in!  I think road graders are probably some of the most difficult types of construction equipment to replicate with LEGO.  Nicely done!  

Totally agree, I do not like some things like wheels but there are a lot of good job here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

Totally agree, I do not like some things like wheels but there are a lot of good job here.

When you say the wheels, are you talking about the tires or the inside of the rim? I'm quite a perfectionist I could probably try 2-3 tips to improve them.

If it's the tires you don't like, I tried to use a model closest to reality, but the dimensions are very close to Lego tractor wheels, my model is compatible with both versions .

Thank you for your feedback, it's appreciated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, wguarnere said:

When you say the wheels, are you talking about the tires or the inside of the rim? I'm quite a perfectionist I could probably try 2-3 tips to improve them.

If it's the tires you don't like, I tried to use a model closest to reality, but the dimensions are very close to Lego tractor wheels, my model is compatible with both versions .

Thank you for your feedback, it's appreciated

I am a purist and I hate all non-lego parts, but it is my problem not yours the important here is to have fun building.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work!

What would you call the front suspension system? It looks like an idea I had a few years ago for a pendular suspension with a four-bar setup to keep the wheels parallel to the ground. Is that what I am seeing, or is it something else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice!

There are so many details I like about this one, espeacially the side engine cover with the cut rigid hoses, which just look fabulous! great job. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Great work!

What would you call the front suspension system? It looks like an idea I had a few years ago for a pendular suspension with a four-bar setup to keep the wheels parallel to the ground. Is that what I am seeing, or is it something else?

I don't know exactly how is it called, but i know why he use this system:

"When the motor grader is in the crab mode, the front axle is no longer running perpendicular to the direction of travel. This places one front tire slightly ahead of the other and allows one tire to be on top of a corrugation while the other is in the bottom. As the tires roll up and down through the washboard, the front axle will pivot up and down keeping the front mainframe stable. "

 

unnamed.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks fantastic.  I love that there is 18ft of tubing.

please tell me you plan to release instructions, this needs to be on people’s shelves!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent job, this is one of those MOCs that I had to look twice before realising it was Lego :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, wguarnere said:

I don't know exactly how is it called, but i know why he use this system:

"When the motor grader is in the crab mode, the front axle is no longer running perpendicular to the direction of travel. This places one front tire slightly ahead of the other and allows one tire to be on top of a corrugation while the other is in the bottom. As the tires roll up and down through the washboard, the front axle will pivot up and down keeping the front mainframe stable. "

 

unnamed.jpg

If I understand this right, it means that the chassis is articulated just behind the cabin, am I correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, howitzer said:

If I understand this right, it means that the chassis is articulated just behind the cabin, am I correct?

Exact like that :

800x1068.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.