Before deciding to build my own version of a Lego Technic grader myself, I searched a lot on the internet to find the version that represented the capabilities of this construction equipment. I found a lot of models rather well built but without motorized functions and others with motorized functions but was far from the aesthetics of a real one.

So I looked at how I could make one to my liking and I started by looking at what scale I had to build to be able to integrate all of the hydraulic and power functions, so I built this grader on a scale close to 1:12. I very much hope that you will enjoy my work, because I wanted to share my passion for graders with you, be it with fans of construction equipment and / or Lego. 

Over 4800 parts, with all the functions like a real one, in total there are more than 13 functions which have been integrated into the design, i.e. 7 functions with PF engine (Powertrain, fake engine, fake radiator with a working fan, central articulation, steering, angle of the steered wheels, rotation of the crow), 5 pneumatic functions (sliding blade, angle of the blade, lowering and raising the blade, displacement of the crown from left to right) and 1 function  manual (scarifier).  I am very proud of the result, the non Lego items are 2 x Buwizz, 6 x RC tires, 18 feet of pneumatic hoses, lighting, everything else is 100% Lego brand.

I also made a little video to show you the different functions in motion. I made the instructions and its available on Rebrickable for those who are interested (link here https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-54777/Wguarnere/volvo-g970-motor-grader/#details)

IMG_20200822_163350.jpg

IMG_20200822_164310.jpg

IMG_20200822_163156.jpg

IMG_20200822_164402.jpg

IMG_20200822_165744.jpg

front.jpg

117445512_10157660831051984_557133933085

Edited by wguarnere

I really like all the functions you've fit in!  I think road graders are probably some of the most difficult types of construction equipment to replicate with LEGO.  Nicely done!  

That's one of the most impressive build I've seen. Complex machinery and everything works smoothly. RC tires looks great on the model. Bravo.

Extraordinary build, it could easily be LEGO set, or even a flagship.

My compliments! You have nailed it and build the flagship set grader Lego should have brought out all these years. I have argued here often for such as set, but the response is always that this type of machinery is too rare so it will not happen. A real shame because you have shown why graders are so fascinating. The implementation of all the functions is impressive and I also like how you put your grader next to the original for comparison. So thanks for taking up up the challenge and for even creating building instructions!

9 hours ago, dhc6twinotter said:

I really like all the functions you've fit in!  I think road graders are probably some of the most difficult types of construction equipment to replicate with LEGO.  Nicely done!  

Totally agree, I do not like some things like wheels but there are a lot of good job here.

5 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

Totally agree, I do not like some things like wheels but there are a lot of good job here.

When you say the wheels, are you talking about the tires or the inside of the rim? I'm quite a perfectionist I could probably try 2-3 tips to improve them.

If it's the tires you don't like, I tried to use a model closest to reality, but the dimensions are very close to Lego tractor wheels, my model is compatible with both versions .

Thank you for your feedback, it's appreciated

24 minutes ago, wguarnere said:

When you say the wheels, are you talking about the tires or the inside of the rim? I'm quite a perfectionist I could probably try 2-3 tips to improve them.

If it's the tires you don't like, I tried to use a model closest to reality, but the dimensions are very close to Lego tractor wheels, my model is compatible with both versions .

Thank you for your feedback, it's appreciated

I am a purist and I hate all non-lego parts, but it is my problem not yours the important here is to have fun building.

Great work!

What would you call the front suspension system? It looks like an idea I had a few years ago for a pendular suspension with a four-bar setup to keep the wheels parallel to the ground. Is that what I am seeing, or is it something else?

Very nice!

There are so many details I like about this one, espeacially the side engine cover with the cut rigid hoses, which just look fabulous! great job. :-)

3 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Great work!

What would you call the front suspension system? It looks like an idea I had a few years ago for a pendular suspension with a four-bar setup to keep the wheels parallel to the ground. Is that what I am seeing, or is it something else?

I don't know exactly how is it called, but i know why he use this system:

"When the motor grader is in the crab mode, the front axle is no longer running perpendicular to the direction of travel. This places one front tire slightly ahead of the other and allows one tire to be on top of a corrugation while the other is in the bottom. As the tires roll up and down through the washboard, the front axle will pivot up and down keeping the front mainframe stable. "

unnamed.jpg

Looks fantastic.  I love that there is 18ft of tubing.

please tell me you plan to release instructions, this needs to be on people’s shelves!

Excellent job, this is one of those MOCs that I had to look twice before realising it was Lego :thumbup:

16 hours ago, wguarnere said:

I don't know exactly how is it called, but i know why he use this system:

"When the motor grader is in the crab mode, the front axle is no longer running perpendicular to the direction of travel. This places one front tire slightly ahead of the other and allows one tire to be on top of a corrugation while the other is in the bottom. As the tires roll up and down through the washboard, the front axle will pivot up and down keeping the front mainframe stable. "

unnamed.jpg

If I understand this right, it means that the chassis is articulated just behind the cabin, am I correct?

59 minutes ago, howitzer said:

If I understand this right, it means that the chassis is articulated just behind the cabin, am I correct?

Exact like that :

800x1068.jpg