Ecclesiastes

PRESS RELEASE: 10276 – LEGO® Colosseum

i read a lot in this forum and post very rarely in this forum... but this one time i have to say:

i came here to read about oppinions about the collosseum. a healthy discussion about different things.
all i see is a nonsense discussion about the color which leads to nowwhere.. and i am realy annoyed by this. and all is just held by one angry italian guy. 

this thread is no fun and thats why it has such a low post count. please, ignore the color and discuss something different now  =D

so, enough about that rant and to post something more productive:
i like it very much. i´ve been to the original several times and this is one of the few lego set my wife might allow me to place in the living room because of feel-good memories =D
but i see a problem in the giant footprint this thing has. it doesnt fit on any shelf, in any cabinet or on any sideboard. it needs a mid sized desk all for its own. its height and width are ok for me, but the depth is the main problem. most spots where i usuallly show those fancy models in our house are just 30 to 40cm deep. =(

i see no problem in the price at all. is is actually really fair. this is nearly at 5cent/piece... where else do you get that? and yes, there are a lot fo small pieces... but those are in every set (all the greebling of the falcon etc.). i understand the criticism of lego getting more expensive each year... but this here is actually a realy fair example, so why still raging about the price?

on the design: yes it is a bit odd, too high/too narrow when you see the fotos/aerial shots. but it still looks relay good and it gives a realy good picture of the original. when it is standing in your living room (pray to the gods of marriage =D) you will most likely not notice anything odd and will simply look at it with a "what a cool set" grin on your face. =)
Minifigures are not needed at all, because they will simply look embarassing next to it due to the size comparison. i have the same feeling like the hogwarts UCS, i never placed the minifigs next to it, because it looks out of place. they are sitting in the box, i dont need them at all. with the collosseum, there arent any so i dont have to pay extra for them, i am pleased =)

so, enough for today. sorry for my bad english, obviously not my native language ;)
greetings =)

5 minutes ago, Alamai said:

i see no problem in the price at all. is is actually really fair. this is nearly at 5cent/piece... where else do you get that?

Well that is good for you! And I hope you enjoy the build.

But there are quite a few people out there in this world who actually may have a problem with such a price tag. Oh, sure: Then they should have a pass on that one. It is just good from time to time to realign with reality and gauge LEGO from that perspective as well. In a decent discussion. This set seems to be designed for a rich people world. Nothing wrong with that!!! And discussing whether this should be maybe an architecture style set or not is - well no nonsense at all, IMHO of course.

Plus: As I well never buy this set due to its insane price tag (not per piece, on an absolute scale) - but if I would, believe me, I would ask exactly >that Italian guy< whether or not the color is OK. I would not want to have such a huge model that doesn't fit anywhere other than on its own stand - in the wrong color. Not for this price tag. Which also can buy you a really nicely equipped laptop some people are in desperate need in the times we have passing during these days. 

Don't get me wrong: It is really nice that you are so fortunate to worry about where to put it! I really mean that. But this is your very own personal perspective. Others have other perspectives. Maybe would have liked it as an ingeniously made small-sized set. Or whatever, this is a very diverse world.

What I just don't like is calling a discussion "nonsense". It is not. Not regarding color, price, building style, too tall, whatever. For €500 - it better be no nonsense.

When you like it: Get it, when can afford it! When you don't: Leave it. There is no obligation.

I for myself enjoy this discussion - including you post!!! - very much. Including spicing it up with a little ... sarcasm, jealousy ...

All the best and again: Enjoy the build and enjoy finding a good place for it!

Best regards,
Thorsten

Pretty cool set for sure. A repetitive nightmare though. If I were into these landmark sets, I would definitely be interested. 

But....what on Earth happened with the GWP? The cart is nice....and that’s about it. Can’t get a good look at the torso, but the helmet? I guess they don’t have the Spartan mood anymore. And the brick built horses...this isn’t a Creator 3-in-1 set. 

I really want to see this thing in person to get a good idea of the size. 59x52 is huge, but 27cm tall is rather short, especially compared to other Landmark sets like Big Ben and Tower Bridge. I love tall sets like the Disney Castle, UCS Imperial Shuttle, Saturn V, Ninjago City and the Vestas wind turbine, but I think the sheer footprint of this set will more than make up for its otherwise stubby height. :tongue:

I do fear the repetition, though. But I guess it'll be a nice build while watching a movie or listening to a podcast. I wonder if the size of the box will limit how many each store receives. I remember calling my local store the day before Diagon Alley released and being surprised when they told me they had a whopping 30 in stock, especially during the pandemic. Hopefully they'll have plenty Colosseums to go around on the 27th. :excited:

4 hours ago, Alamai said:

i read a lot in this forum and post very rarely in this forum... but this one time i have to say:

i came here to read about oppinions about the collosseum. a healthy discussion about different things.
all i see is a nonsense discussion about the color which leads to nowwhere.. and i am realy annoyed by this. and all is just held by one angry italian guy. 

this thread is no fun and thats why it has such a low post count. please, ignore the color and discuss something different now  =D

so, enough about that rant and to post something more productive:
i like it very much. i´ve been to the original several times and this is one of the few lego set my wife might allow me to place in the living room because of feel-good memories =D
but i see a problem in the giant footprint this thing has. it doesnt fit on any shelf, in any cabinet or on any sideboard. it needs a mid sized desk all for its own. its height and width are ok for me, but the depth is the main problem. most spots where i usuallly show those fancy models in our house are just 30 to 40cm deep. =(

i see no problem in the price at all. is is actually really fair. this is nearly at 5cent/piece... where else do you get that? and yes, there are a lot fo small pieces... but those are in every set (all the greebling of the falcon etc.). i understand the criticism of lego getting more expensive each year... but this here is actually a realy fair example, so why still raging about the price?

on the design: yes it is a bit odd, too high/too narrow when you see the fotos/aerial shots. but it still looks relay good and it gives a realy good picture of the original. when it is standing in your living room (pray to the gods of marriage =D) you will most likely not notice anything odd and will simply look at it with a "what a cool set" grin on your face. =)
Minifigures are not needed at all, because they will simply look embarassing next to it due to the size comparison. i have the same feeling like the hogwarts UCS, i never placed the minifigs next to it, because it looks out of place. they are sitting in the box, i dont need them at all. with the collosseum, there arent any so i dont have to pay extra for them, i am pleased =)

so, enough for today. sorry for my bad english, obviously not my native language ;)
greetings =)

Well... I do think it's worth the money; and I don't think people are complaining about the value here... 549.99 USD/449.99 GBP/499.99 EUR just IS a lot of money to spend on a LEGO set and I'm sure a lot of people wants to spend the money on something else...

Edited by JintaiZ

but then, why complaining about something expensive, when they cant afford it anyways? of course i understand, that not everyone is able to buy such a high price toy.  But then... simply dont buy it? =D

I mean, if i can only afford a small flat, i dont go into threats about big houses and say "thats way to expensive!!" when it is in fact... not. it is reasonable priced for what it is doing. Or with cars. if i only drive a ford fiesta (which i do) and cant afford a mustang, i dont complain about the mustang, because, for what it is, it is in fact a bargain. but it is still a lot more expensive then a fiesta. you get my point?

for the argument "they finally make a colosseum and sadly it is a 500€ set": they already released different versions at different pricepoints for some of the architecture sets. Big Ben, Eiffel Tower, Empire State Building... Just to name a few. It is not unrealistic to exspect a smaller version of the collosseum anytime in the future. 

The curvature and overall design can translate into a smaller scale really good, like some other manufacturers from china allready have proven. Well, maybe not 20€ Small because of all the details, but i think an 80-100€ Set is realistic.

Some commentary on colours: Colours as a general is a very complex topic and the perception of colour is affected by huge number of variables. Lighting conditions, camera, image processing and compression, display all play a role. And it's not limited to technology, every person has slightly different colour perception due to the small differences in how the different types of cone cells in their eyes work. And it's not even limited to physiology, psychological and cultural factors also play a significant part. Apparently what we here in Finland think as "white" is actually perceived as blue in Japan, and their "white" seems yellow to us, there's even an anecdote of how this difference once caused a major disagreement over an order of a batch of supposedly white paper.

So while the colour of the Colosseum doesn't exactly match the real thing, it's very much a matter of opinion if the choice is correct or not. Major part of how the Colosseum looks nowdays comes from the damaged and eroded walls and arcades, something that's next to impossible to replicate in Lego and there also seems to be a lot of colour variation in different parts of the thing. One could of course criticize the Lego model on not replicating those variations better, but YMMV. I also have to wonder, if you took the Lego model and put it next to the real thing, how would it compare? I hope we'll be seeing this some day.

In the end the decision to use tan instead of white or bringing back very light bluish gray was probably made simply based on the fact that tan is a colour that most people think the Colosseum has, as demonstrated by @koalayummies - whether it's the reality or not. There's absolutely no other options than tan and white in the current colour palette and making a new colour or bringing back old one would've meant discontinuing some other colour, as today TLG has a policy of fixed number of different colours. I'm sure this is not feasible for a single set, especially when the parts required in a new colour would've been huge.

As for other thoughts on the set, I was initially curious about it, and for me it seems to be a very well executed model but at the same time somehow disappointing, and it's hard to put a finger on why. I read the New Elementary's review and it hilighted some minor issues but mostly they are such that I don't really mind. The wrong ratio of column width to opening in the arcades is a significant flaw though, but there's probably no way around it at this scale. I also feel it might have worked better with a square base, though I understand the choice of oval base as that provides more interesting build and reduces footprint. At first the price seemed to be surprisingly low, but that's explained by the multitude of small elements with relatively low amount of lots and lack of license/minifigures. It would probably be a great parts pack for castle builders (something I'm interested in) but I don't think I'm able to spend this much of money on it, especially when I'm not that interested in keeping sets built on display, beside a select few. The repetitiveness of the build is to be expected, as there's simply no way to make such a model without it being repetitive.

Someone with too much money should probably buy two sets and do a "restoration" to build the model like it was in its glory days.

15 hours ago, Alamai said:

i see no problem in the price at all. is is actually really fair. this is nearly at 5cent/piece... where else do you get that?

In basic "bucket" style sets.

I'm also not that bothered about the colour as there are other much bigger problems with the set. The biggest one being the size. It is too big for me (and probably other people too) to have on display. It is not that I cannot display something that large, I just wouldn't want to. Sure it looks impressive to look at once, but everyday? No thanks. There is not that much to see and spot something different next time. Whereas other big display pieces have much more to see. Whereas if this was a smaller (and even worse accuracy) on a much smaller scale, I might have bought it for display alongside other world icons.

@Itaria No Shintaku is definitely right about one thing - it is not a very accurate to scale model, even at this size.  But then, I don't think people buying it will care. It sort of looks like it enough to pass for one so long as you don't care too much about the real structure, and that is enough for most. It's funny that sometimes you see the LEGO model first and then the real thing doesn't look right when you see it based on what you've already seen in the LEGO version. I often find that with movie sets.

Edited by MAB

Did we complain about Elizabeth Tower (Big Ben), Sydney Opera House and Taj Mahal’s color palettes in past years? 

@Alamai It’s completely unnecessary to say “angry Italian guy” on forum like this.... We need to respect each other here. 

13 hours ago, Itaria No Shintaku said:

That italian guy is reading this conversation, so talking about "him" in third person is not one of the most classiest or politest things I've seen here.

13 hours ago, Itaria No Shintaku said:

It's not about the Colosseum anymore, it's just Dunning-Kruger effect. That annoys me. The Colosseum has nothing to do with this matter.

On 11/16/2020 at 12:52 PM, Peppermint_M said:

You also do not have to attack other members...

Please, cease this.

Edited by koalayummies

Despite koala's post above, I am still goign to criticize this set, because I find it hard to imagine that someone would buy this. I know nothing about the real colosseum, I just look at it from a Lego model perspective. It looks like a nightmare to build (repetitive), it's too big to put it anywhere without it standing in the way (at least the millennium falcon you could position vertically or hang on a wall), and the shape of the base looks very cheap to me. It's not really elliptic, it's a jagged and wobbly looking shape and additionally personally really dislike the dark-gray with black color of it. Compare it to the old trafford stadium set, which was also on a gray/black base, but thats much more subtle and the building itself uses much more varied coloring so the building is the star of the show. Personally, I just think this huge black/gray rock is a real eyesore that distracts from the building.

I can very much understand the idea of a "colosseum set". If it were about 32x32 studs, around 1500 parts, it would have been an interesting display model that is also an interesting Lego design. At the current scale, there doesn't seem to be much intelligent design in it, because it's so huge that even adding detail becomes trivial. It comes across to me as being just big for the sake of being "the biggest set ever" (again - a marketing trick I have grown tired of by now) and tries way too hard to be a realistic depiction, instead of a model that resembles the real thing.

I don't mind big models per se - I'm not a fan of Star Wars but I can really appreciate the huge millennium falcon because at that had interesting design that the smaller versions didn't offer, it had an interior that was cool, and the internal structure was mechanically interesting. I feel that this colosseum could have been half the size without losing recognizability and detailing (but would have been 80% cheaper and take up less space).

It seems that with these buildings, there are really only two scales... too small and too big. Sydney opera house being the most blatant example. The Architecture one was so small it didn't leave any reoom for designers to experiment with interesting build solutions and part usages, but the big one was so large it didn't really require creative parts usage either, and would also have been recognizable if it was made from 2x4 bricks.

Also, there would have been many much more interesting buildings to depict in Lego form, that would have made more colorful and varied sets. Just compare to the - also mostly tan - 6000 part Hogwarts set, and tell which one has more to offer and is more attractive as a Lego model.

Edited by Erik Leppen

8 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

ld have made more colorful and varied sets. Just compare to the - also mostly tan - 6000 part Hogwarts set, and tell which one has more to offer and is more attractive as a Lego model.

I agree.
There is one step that has to be repeated 200x (I saw a picture on Facebook about this very thing).
I mean, I would really get tired after the first 30 40 repetions, let alone 200!
I believe LEGO would not produce a lot of these ones, because with $500 you can buy better things. 
I can understand a purchase of this from someone having the Tour Eifferl, the Taj Mahal and so on. They may have a lot of interest into buying this.
But apart from people who are following that collection, I really think they should have done it reducing the scale by 50% (and thus probably the pieces by 1/8).

1 hour ago, koalayummies said:

When they speak from a position like they could have designed it better despite no evidence of such capability. How do these non-creators have the audacity, the impertinence, the gall, to defecate and spew diarrhea from their mouths onto those who actually do create?

Did you actually read this twice? Or was this the result of utter and uncontrolled anger? Just asking.

I just looked up the original 1999 paper of J. Kruger and D. Dunning in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. Nice read. Has nothing much to do with defecation and diarrhea though.

Quoting from a Pixar movie may be OK, but not with that - well - how do want to put this? - verbal whatever in your preceding paragraph.

I do follow your arguments (but absolutely not the wording you have chosen to express yourself) - in part that is.

However, what you wrote puts an end to "criticism" for virtually each and every box, TLG throws into the market - for me that is: I don't have the skills, nor the parts and resources, nor the money, to compete at any level with TLGs builders. In other words, regarding the Kruger/Dunner paper, I am disqualified. Which is OK with me, I can live with that. Hell, I bet I can nail that guy who made the Colosseum in Quantum Mechanics. Hmm, well, maybe he had enough physics classes. So maybe not. Who cares anyway.

BUT:

I will always have an opinion. I will not like some colors. I will like other colors. I will not like some pricing politics - or maybe I will. Because I have these thoughts. I will not bow and remain there in eternal worship because it came from TLG. Never. Elevating opinions to criticism though is a very, very personal and complex mechanism. Having an opinion is one thing. Criticizing another. The question is: Is "voicing an opinion" automatically "criticizing"? No way. It becomes that though, the very moment somebody feels offended or attacked or personally insulted, takes damage, and so on and so forth - the whole ego and financial world is ready to rumble.

And then language. Phrasing. Man with your phrasing skills, nor only being a native speaker of the English language, but with your enormous width and depth - maybe better on the other side of rage - you can phrase things in a way so polite and at the same time with so razor sharp clarity, I am certain. I just wonder why defecation and spew diarrhea actually had to show up?

And then Rome. The ancient city. Been born there. That creates some very strong feelings other people simply cannot embrace. That building is almost 2000 years old. Germany did not exist - the folks here were running around in the woods and were ... I don't know what they were doing. At least they did not build anything comparable to that building. And the US were not discovered by the Vikings - that happened about 1000 years later. And they were not the US. Whatever.

OK, should one voice an opinion in the way this model was done? Maybe more polite. With more ... empathy for others. But never with: Don't say it.

In the beginning, God  this mess was about color. You guys freaked on color and shape. Of some plastic bricks in plastic bags to be assembled into an assembly of such bricks from a toy company in Denmark.

My 2 cents? Not worth it. Not one second.

And this is just my >very personal< opinion, no criticism here.

Have a nice evening (it's about 9 pm here),
Sit back, relax and enjoy - life. I get myself a beer.

Spoiler

Or two

Best regards to both of you @Itaria No Shintaku and @koalayummies and all others
Thorsten

3 hours ago, koalayummies said:

How do these non-creators have the audacity, the impertinence, the gall, to defecate and spew diarrhea from their mouths onto those who actually do create? That's the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Classy language there.

Eurobricks is trying to be a friendly and open place, so can you avoid that sort of rhetoric? People are allowed to dislike a set. People are allowed to like a set. You can agree to disagree and you do not need to turn people's opinions around on toy bricks if they are keeping their position so strongly.

1 hour ago, Toastie said:

Did you actually read this twice?

Reveal hidden contents

Or two

45 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

Eurobricks is trying to be a friendly and open place, so can you avoid that sort of rhetoric? People are allowed to dislike a set. People are allowed to like a set. You can agree to disagree and you do not need to turn people's opinions around on toy bricks if they are keeping their position so strongly.

They have been using personal attacks over multiple posts throughout this thread.

• insulting intelligence by saying one is incapable of holding an educated discussion
  • saying one is delusional/has delusions
  • multiple usage of attacks on cognitive bias, incompetence, ie 'stupid'

What do these personal attacks have to do with discussing the topic at hand. Nothing. They were told by you to cease and yet they continued again, mentioning me with @ and repeating the same personal attack.

One can say whatever they dislike about it, but is doing so with cruel abusive language repeatedly suggesting lack of intelligence the way? You told them to cease. You also told them not "to attack other members for not agreeing". They continued.

Insulting intelligence, insinuating a lack of education, saying one is delusional, implying that one is stupid; if the attacks are not removed as per the rules of the site...

Edited by koalayummies

No problem dude. I'm leaving Eurobricks.

After more than 10 years.

I can't stay on the same place of someone who says that I defecate and spew diarrhea from my mouth and goes away with that.

Sometimes I thought "When will I become ArchDuke"?

Instead my post count stops at 2652. (Edited: I did a last more post to say farewell)

I met some terrific people here, people that I have on whatsapp and who I talk to regularly.

But seems that everything that has a beginning,
has and end too.

Farewell.

Edited by Former Itaria No Shintaku

And we have a winner!

Never thought this is even thinkable. Man this is seriously degrading here.

Just to make sure: Who is "they" - I just want to make sure.

10 minutes ago, Itaria No Shintaku said:

I can't stay on the same place of someone who says that I defecate and spew diarrhea from my mouth and goes away with that.

I never insulted your intelligence, education, mental health or cognitive abilities like you did towards me. So gaslight and pull that victim card.

Edited by koalayummies

There can only be a fight if there are at least 2 people fighting. If one of you guys stops, then the other has no opponent left in the argument, and has no reason to continue either.

Yes, maybe, you are right, and the other is wrong. But, even if that were to be true, is it worth bringing it up every time? Maybe, it is better to be wrong and at peace with that, than to be right and fighting a battle that annoys the heck out of other members trying to read a discussion topic about a new set.

In any case, in Dutch we have a saying that goes "if 2 are fighting, 2 have guilt".

Be an adult (you stated you are one when you registered), and stop this mud-throwing competition before a moderator might step in and send either or both of you on a little "forum holiday". Because if that happens, even being right doesn't save you ;)

Let's talk about the set.