Ecclesiastes

PRESS RELEASE: 10276 – LEGO® Colosseum

As a person who went there (the collesium) ı really want to get my hands on this set but ı really wanted a version from ancient rome with no wreckges like the whole arena but still an awesome set but it is really expensive

If I was gifted this or won it say, I’d sell it on and save the time and space for something else.

That GWP is pathetic and you do feel, scale or otherwise, TLG missed a trick not including a raft of gladiator minifigures. There’s not even an arena surface to utilise that possibility either, just the ruins.

I’m not against the choice per se, but an “Architecture” model of the Colosseum at around €80, would have been a much better idea IMO. No other 2021 models in that theme to compete with either judging by the looks of it.  

Edited by Lucarex

Someone on IG pointed out that the GWP minifigures reuses a Cole torso from Ninjago hahahaha

2 hours ago, Lucarex said:

If I was gifted this or won it say, I’d sell it on and save the time and space for something else.

That GWP is pathetic and you do feel, scale or otherwise, TLG missed a trick not including a raft of gladiator minifigures. There’s not even an arena surface to utilise that possibility either, just the ruins.

I’m not against the choice per se, but an “Architecture” model of the Colosseum at around €80, would have been a much better idea IMO. No other 2021 models in that theme to compete with either judging by the looks of it.  

I understand there are no gladiator minfigures included in this massive set. But - there are a few gladiator minfigures in CMFs... It could be good to use torurists and gladiator actors to fill the Colosseum with life IMO.

Speaking of Architecture, there are no rumors or leaks for 2021 yet. The Architecture version of the Colosseum could do great.

23 hours ago, Toastie said:

@Itaria No Shintaku: (Literally) walking around in Rome (for endless hours) made me feel ... much, much smaller than I ever felt. It was an experience I >never< want to miss.

With very best regards,
Thorsten

Man, thanks for these words. I believe all guys from RomaBrick (Rome's official LUG) will thank you for those.

Well, I am sure that seeing it sometimes even 10 times in a day makes me feel like it has always been there and you sorta get used to it. You then may be amazed by the Tower Bridge or the Big Ben... or in your personal case, the Brandeburg Gate (but I've never been in Berlin... I travelled all over Germany but I still miss Berlin. I've been like 10 times at Gunzburg though. You'll guess yourself why).

People who look it from pictures may judge tan as a good choice but it is not. Pyramids are tan. The colosseum's color isn't even close to those. The right color in the LEGO palette would have been IMHO "Very Light Bluish Gray" and if they can't revive it (like they revived teal/dark turquoise) for their biggest set... I think they made a cheap choice and that's all. They clearly are not minding the careful person who loves the actual real Colosseum and then feels a bit odd with that model, their target is someone who 90% hasn't ever been there. I'm not blaming them, it's their job. They knew that someone who has an emotional connection to the monument would have surely felt like it's ugly, but they work on numbers, and 99.9...% hasn't emotional connection to the monument. We're how many? 7 billions? Only 5 millions live in Rome. we're less than 0,1% of the world population, they will sell it to the remaining 99.9%. It's business. I don't blame them.

Anyone remember that picture of that dress from 2015 and the entire world arguing over its color? Its literally called "The Dress" in Wikipedia because of what it did to humanity. It was awful. Regardless one could make this set pink or magenta and it would still look like the Colosseum.

50602992851_1f201dc99d_n.jpg

Yep, just as I suspected. Still looks pretty Colosseum-y to me. Though with a hefty splash of Unikitty.

Anyway I think this set looks fantastic. It absolutely captures the essence and feel of the structure; it looks like the Colosseum without question. And even better is that no slave labor was used to make this one and hopefully nothing will be killed for entertainment within those walls. Joking aside the Lego construction of this set is really great and I think the designer(s) did a wonderful job. I cannot afford it nor would I know what to do with all those pieces so I'm most likely not going to get it, but I still think its an incredibly well designed set and a very accurate Lego recreation.

Now is there anyone willing to bust out their $80 X-Rite colorchecker chart, profile calibrated DSLR and confirm for us on their 99% Adobe RGB capable monitor whether this thing is pink or magenta? :tongue:

PS the dress was white and gold. :grin: EDIT: (:tongue: that's tongue in cheek, as if I wouldn't read the very thing that I linked)

Edited by koalayummies

Ok so you took pictures in which it may look tan.
But...
Roma: c'è il via libera del Consiglio di Stato per il parco archeologico  del Colosseo

we run rome | Runners Pescara

24.10.2017 – Roma – Ciclismo Amatoriale : 1° Edizione della “Bicinrosa” |  pedaletricolore.it

My point is: I've been living there for 39 years, may I know which color actually the Colosseum is?

Or do I have to be taught by someone who has maybe seen it a couple of times?

I really find this ridicoulous. If you want to buy it, buy it. That's something like the Colosseum, that's probably a 80% close resembrance. Good for the people who like it.
May I say that I don't like it or shoudl I stick to your opinion because you force me to?

May I be a lot more disappointed than other people since this is the main Monument of my birthcity and they did what I believe is a mess?
If a parisien says me he is disappointed on how the Tour Eiffel looks like, I would listen carefully for his opinion instead of posting random pictures took with the wrong light that try clumsy to prove tha he's wrong.

Then, if you want to keep on fighting on it, do it alone, I'm not here not to drag people out of their delusions, nor to create a flame on this.
I thougt that some people would have used an educated opinion on the matther, turns out I was wrong.

So, over with this for me.

I guess in addition to the Great X-wing/Snowspeeder Color Debate, we now have the Great Colosseum Color Debate.

On 11/15/2020 at 1:08 PM, Itaria No Shintaku said:

Ok so you took pictures in which it may look tan.
But...

My point is: I've been living there for 39 years, may I know which color actually the Colosseum is?

Or do I have to be taught by someone who has maybe seen it a couple of times?

I really find this ridicoulous. If you want to buy it, buy it. That's something like the Colosseum, that's probably a 80% close resembrance. Good for the people who like it.
May I say that I don't like it or shoudl I stick to your opinion because you force me to?

May I be a lot more disappointed than other people since this is the main Monument of my birthcity and they did what I believe is a mess?
If a parisien says me he is disappointed on how the Tour Eiffel looks like, I would listen carefully for his opinion instead of posting random pictures took with the wrong light that try clumsy to prove tha he's wrong.

Then, if you want to keep on fighting on it, do it alone, I'm not here not to drag people out of their delusions, nor to create a flame on this.
I thougt that some people would have used an educated opinion on the matther, turns out I was wrong.

So, over with this for me.

So... I don't think either of you are wrong. However, I feel like this is based on the tan version of the Colosseum. koalayummies isn't trying to say you're wrong, but he's just expressing his own opinion. :wink:

Edited by JintaiZ

9 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

So... I don't think either of you are wrong. However, I feel like this is based on the tan version of the Colosseum. koalayummies isn't trying to say you're wrong, but he's just expressing his own opinion. :wink:

And this is a Dunning-Kruger effect.
One that has lived in Rome for 39 years has a solid opinion, more than one that one who lives in the States.
It's like being ill and asking both a doctor and a car mechanic. The car mechanic can have his opinion, but one is more reliable than another.
If we're talking about someone who's ill, even if I have my opinion, I would never try to contradict a doctor.
Who does, falls on the Dunning-Kruger effect.

The Colosseum is absolutely not tan, even if from some pictures with some light it looks like.

But if that is, I think the color may be aslo green, because I googled this picture:

Il Colosseo s'illumina di verde per festeggiare San Patrizio, patrono  d'Irlanda - Webitmag - Web in Travel Magazine

(that was meant to honour the Irish for St.Patrick's day)

It's not that if you're able to google, then you know stuff. You don't know stuff. You just know how to google those. That's not the same thing.

IMO, the Colosseum looks wonderful. So glad they went with blasphemous tan and dark tan than ghostly white to represent it, IMO. Plus, beige sure gives it that faded and ruined look much better than any shade of shiny #FFFFFF could, IMO, in my opinion.

The Ecto-1 sold out in a day at my local stores. Somehow, I don't think this set will be as popular as the car, so less stress to pick it up on the 27th with all the promos, IMO. 

Maybe they should have made it in white. Then in the instructions tell you that a kid has to play with the parts for a couple of years before you are allowed to build it. The eventual colours would have been perfect!

7 minutes ago, MAB said:

Maybe they should have made it in white. Then in the instructions tell you that a kid has to play with the parts for a couple of years before you are allowed to build it. The eventual colours would have been perfect!

I feel like white isn't the most accurate color either... so I feel like TLG would have needed to make a new color to make it look accurate...

18 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

I feel like TLG would have needed to make a new color to make it look accurate

That is what @MAB suggested: Ship it out in white. Then:

• Let kids play with all white parts it for a couple of years; that is not a big deal at all - the Colosseum is almost 2k years old ...
  • Or put all the white for a couple of summers or weeks/months, depending on where you live, into the sunlight ...
  • Or put them for a couple of weeks/months (depending on UV power settings and electricity bill limits) into a tanning bed ...

I agree, the resulting color shades must be perfectly matching - what do you think @Itaria No Shintaku?

:wink:

Best
Thorsten

14 minutes ago, Toastie said:

That is what @MAB suggested: Ship it out in white. Then:

• Let kids play with all white parts it for a couple of years; that is not a big deal at all - the Colosseum is almost 2k years old ...
  • Or put all the white for a couple of summers or weeks/months, depending on where you live, into the sunlight ...
  • Or put them for a couple of weeks/months (depending on UV power settings and electricity bill limits) into a tanning bed ...

I agree, the resulting color shades must be perfectly matching - what do you think @Itaria No Shintaku?

:wink:

Best
Thorsten

Well... what I feel like is white would probably be even worse than tan. It makes the Colosseum feel new in my opinion, and that's most likely not what people wants. A color between white and tan would work in my opinion...

3 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Well... what I feel like is white would probably be even worse than tan

After such procedures as described White is not White anymore. It is ... dirty yellowish grey-brownish something. I can tell that for sure because I am somewhat colorblind.

Best
Thorsten

Shoot - wait - her it is: :sarcasm:

Edited by Toastie
Forgot to flag my dumb reply appropriately

OF course a shade between white and tan would have worked.
I seem unable to attach pictures now, but

It is not white, #FFFFFF

but LEGO's tan is #CCB98D

Coliseum actual color is something more like #FFEECC

On 11/16/2020 at 11:12 AM, Reker1000000 said:

Wow! Does it beat the Millennium Falcon for piece count?

Yes, it does!!

Edited by JintaiZ

There are people that designed this, human beings. Lego builders. Why not build a better one? Love the Colosseum, build it. Many of us know that Light Stone Grey has only ever been molded in 39 different elements and hasn't been produced since 2010. So kind of restricted to White or Medium Stone Grey since "tan" (Brick Yellow/Sand Yellow) is, so I'm told a great many times, not correct.

Edited by koalayummies

Ok, point the first: It made me laugh that The Dress is one I know of, it is from a shop called Roman. (I like them for special occasion purchases, makes me feel glam)

Point the Second @Itaria No Shintaku fix your Signature! The "tinypic" is no longer available and for someone who has to keep signatures on to check for moderation purposes, it is super annoying.

Point the Third. We get it. You do not like the colour. You do not have to keep telling us this, or others. Even if they disagree with you. You also do not have to attack other members for not agreeing or using the same method to make the opposing argument. 

Please, cease this.

Tower Bridge is not Tan, the LEGO Set is. Big Ben is the Bell, not the clocktower, but it is still sold as such (It is actually The Elizabeth Tower). However it is what people expect, so from a marketing perspective it is how it will be produced. LEGO plastics are not produced in the whole and subtle way real life colour appears, only careful painting and aging powders can replicate centuries old stonework in plastic.

This is what happens with toys; They do not look exactly like the real thing. If all you want to do is carry on harping out the same thing, I'll have to start scooping the posts out to somewhere else so the rest of the members can actually discuss the set.