The Stad

[Freebuild] Out Through the Market

Previously:

A New Post at Gammeltårn

Party Supplies

Perils Old and New

Unsought but Welcome

50594673947_4cf05dd280_h.jpg

The autumn sun had nearly reached its zenith as Kjell and his father made their way from the stronghold and down to Førstlys' harbor.  Avoiding the prying eyes of the High Road, they took the Watchman's Way and picked a path through the bustling Lower Market.    

"Father, know that I do not question your judgment, but I must know why you entrust me and my task to this envoy," Kjell pressed as they walked on.  "You speak as though you are old friends, though I have never heard his mention." 

His father was slow to respond, pacing deliberately through the crowd with his guard behind him. "When I was young, perhaps not even half your age, we hosted this very same elf in our halls. He spoke little of his origins, though he told many tales of our own island, as if he had lived several lifetimes upon our shores already.  During his short stay he taught my siblings and me to read books and scrolls from my grandfather's library that even our most learned scholars could not decipher, and he showed my father and me many of the island's secret and forgotten places.  He was among us for but a few seasons, and then, quite abruptly, he departed and did not -until this day- return."

50594673437_82d680bd47_z.jpg

"So why return now and entangle himself in our domestic affairs?  While I am grateful for his aid, I am loathe to let a new friend fight our battles for us with so little a commitment of our own strength." Kjell grumbled, his legs aching to reach their destination with more urgency than his father would allow.

"As he told us earlier, he believes that this domestic affair aligns with his own task, and coincides with his purpose in returning to these shores," his father replied.  "Though, as to our commitment, fear not my son.  Some of your compatriots returned from their ranging this morning, and have volunteered to join you in relieving your cousin. Ah! Here comes one of the very same hardy fellows!"   The lord of Førstlys halted and waved as a tall, swarthy, mail-clad man cut a path through the crowd, his heavy grey cloak billowing behind him.  Kjell recognized Ulrik Dunwald and his confidence swelled.  It would truly be a boon to have a company of  Skygger at hand. 

50593811613_c994ea5438_z.jpg

Ulrik reached them, stopped, and offered his sword as a sign of fealty. "My lord, I am yours to command!"  Kjell's father inclined his head in acknowledgment, and Ulrik turned to Kjell. "My captain, it has been to long since my Shadows and I have ridden at your side.  We are happy to do so once more."

"And I am happy to have you at my side, old friend," Kjell replied, offering an outstretched hand.

"Then let us make haste," Ulrik exclaimed.  "Glory, and a ship, await!"  

50593811673_db9f6c61ef_z.jpg 

Spoiler

AoM Store: Phase 2:

50593812158_48a71709b1_z.jpg

At the furrier's stall, the proprietor shows off his wares to a potential customer, while a visiting Sas'ük'tí elder admires an elegant fur-trimmed cloak.

AoM Inn: Phase 2:

50593812178_411a7c205b_z.jpg

Copious food and even-more-copious drink can lead to uncouth behavior.  The innkeeper doesn't mind, so long as his patrons pay their tabs.

Edited by The Stad
Henjin Quilones

Great build so many details in here.  I like the canopy on the fur traders kiosk.  The vine above the taverns patio is nice detail.  The statue looks fantastic and the base is great too.  The building looks good and the roofs are unique.  The interaction between all the minifigs is great.  I like that you used the ultron minion helmets on some of the figs look good.  

That statue is definitly stunning! The draping of the cloak is realy well done. :wub:

The place itself is very nicey built too, with interesting minifig posing and details. I really like how you integrated AoM builds as a background for your story.

So many awesome techniques on display here! I especially love the statue (and its base) and the patio! Great work!

Edited by socalbricks

Wonderful MOC!  The statue is superb, I love the way it dominates the square.  The quarter tiles on the patio wall are my favorite part of this build.  The potted flowers near the canal/base of statue are a very nice touch.  I like how the building in back helps frame the scene while not being too complicated as to steal attention from it (but not too bland either).  Well done!

Nice backdrop, and sweet little details like the ornaments on the small wall. I also really need to get me some of those white fur collars!

But why did you hide the statue behind a spoiler!? That deserves top billing. I love the 1x1 tiles as an architectural element (it looks distinctively Mitgardian to me as a result). Keep up the good work!

On 11/12/2020 at 6:51 PM, zoth33 said:

Great build so many details in here.  I like the canopy on the fur traders kiosk.  The vine above the taverns patio is nice detail.  The statue looks fantastic and the base is great too.  The building looks good and the roofs are unique.  The interaction between all the minifigs is great.  I like that you used the ultron minion helmets on some of the figs look good.  

Thanks for the kind words! I had a lot of fun with all the minifigs, so I'm glad you noticed them!

On 11/14/2020 at 1:31 AM, Aurore said:

That statue is definitly stunning! The draping of the cloak is realy well done. :wub:

The place itself is very nicey built too, with interesting minifig posing and details. I really like how you integrated AoM builds as a background for your story.

I'm glad you like the cloak, it took a lot of attempts to get to this point! And how could I pass up an opportunity to get AoM credit in a freebuild?

On 11/15/2020 at 2:33 PM, socalbricks said:

So many awesome techniques on display here! I especially love the statue (and its base) and the patio! Great work!

Thanks!

On 11/16/2020 at 8:00 AM, jtooker said:

Wonderful MOC!  The statue is superb, I love the way it dominates the square.  The quarter tiles on the patio wall are my favorite part of this build.  The potted flowers near the canal/base of statue are a very nice touch.  I like how the building in back helps frame the scene while not being too complicated as to steal attention from it (but not too bland either).  Well done!

That's why it's called the Watchman's Way, right? 

On 11/19/2020 at 8:28 AM, Ecclesiastes said:

Nice backdrop, and sweet little details like the ornaments on the small wall. I also really need to get me some of those white fur collars!

Thank you!  I love the collars, but they are difficult to use because of how high they sit on the back of the minifig head. There are only a few hairstyles and headgear pieces that work with them, and most of those are still not entirely seated on the head.

19 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

But why did you hide the statue behind a spoiler!? That deserves top billing. I love the 1x1 tiles as an architectural element (it looks distinctively Mitgardian to me as a result). Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the good advice, it's been rectified!  I do love the rotated 1x1; it's a very simple motif but adds a lot of character. I just need to be sure I'm not over-using it...

34 minutes ago, The Stad said:

Thanks for the good advice, it's been rectified I do love the rotated 1x1; it's a very simple motif but adds a lot of character. I just need to be sure I'm not over-using it..

Much better with that picture at the top! And I don’t think you’ve been overdoing the motif; at least, I’m not tired of seeing it yet!

Lovely build, excellent statue!

Apart from that, the build has great colours. I like the relaxed, autumn vibe about it

Nice, the statue is great and I really like the relatively clean decoration on the walls. Also the double bladed axe.

It is almost a warning for the future - this is what happens if Disney buys the rights to LOTR.

Very nice work.  I like how you are able to keep a very realistic largely grey tone for the buildings but still keep them interesting by adding a lot of texture through offset layers and ornamentation.  The statue with the dark blue slopes at the base is particularly nice.  The beer garden is great, and I love how you have incorporated some really nice color into the build through the foliage and the market stall.  Glad to see the story progress, too, very interested in what's going to happen with Kjell!

Great Build. So many things to like here: The statue, the beer garden canopy, the minifig posing. My favourite ist the girl on the bridge!

@Puvel @JintaiZ @Otherworld @LEGO Train 12 Volts @Servertijd @Brickwolf Thank you all for the positive feedback!

@MAB, if Disney buying LOTR means that we get more LOTR Lego, then I'm all for it!

@Grover, glad you're enjoying the story; hopefully the next installment isn't far behind...

@Goldiebricks, if you're looking for some unsolicited snot advice, you're in luck: Brickheadz - on sale - are your new favorite theme. And do everything you can to become familiar with the geometry of the brick. Otherwise, just keep tinkering and be prepared to re-do your mocs a lot.

That statue base features some lovely brick geometry :wub: The statue itself is also extremely well built!

With the ground and most of the structures being light bley it all blends together a bit. Especially since so much of it is smooth surfaces.
Adding more color differentiation like what you did with the white and dark blue or wooden structures would help a lot.

Very good build :thumbup:

Stunning...

I am wondering if there is a design reason to have thé wooden part above the restaurant upside down or is it "only" for artistic purpose (wich is a success in m'y opinion).

The whole market is interesting but the statue is on its own category looks very nice it could fit almost in any other depiction.
Very well done. Thanks for sharing.

Great build! The statue is definitely the star of the show here and really stands out, but I also really like the detailing on the building behind. Keep up the good work :thumbup:

Oh boy oh boy. This looks great!

The statue is just phenomenal, but the overall feel of a crowded market square is fantastic. Amazing work with the vegetation pieces and minifig posing.
And to see the beautiful yellow and green pattern to splash the base only gives me that sensation of coming home.. 

Awesome job, The Stad!
Skol!