Sign in to follow this  
Aleh

[MOC] Rolls Royce Phantom VIII EWB. Instructions available!

Spoiler

Hello everyone! In these hard times I began my old dream to come true - I have started developing a car. This is definitely not a sport/super/hyper car. My aim is to build a luxury sedan. Brand will me mentioned later, I assume after the chassis with drive train will be done (if it would).

As for now I'm going to build fully manual version with advanced realistic suspension with pneumatic brakes,, 4WD (actually original has only RWD, but full is more interesting and complex), interesting V/W 8-12 fake engine and rotating gearbox shifters on the steering wheel (initial and genuine idea by @Charbel), detailed interior.

• And from the very beginning I've faced with difficulties:
  • Those ball-joints are very hard to rotate, the route from the steering rack to the wheel should be the strongest and the simplest in one time.
  • Still no idea for the rear brakes implementation.
  • No room for the fake engine prototype. I want to use regular cylinder parts, but with the crankshaft from the 42078 set (as example).
  • Too hard to place front drivetrain, steering axle, gearbox and gearbox shifters. At my point I think I need 100*100 studs place to handle all this.

I'm afraid I'll have to refuse from the front driving feature to handle all other modules. But who knows.

And the last fear is the political situation in my country, I don't want to discuss it here, but the mood is very sad and I can be repressed anyway, though.

https://bricksafe.com/pages/Aleh/wip-sedan

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Hello guys, let me introduce my latest creation - this Rolls-Royce Phantom EWB VIII generation. 
I was always dreaming to build something like this, so it last I could implement it.
Car is fully manual! 

• It has complex suspension - 
  • Front with anti-roll bar, akkerman, pneumo disc brakes
  • Rear - Multilink with pneumo disk brakes
  • V12 fake engine, connected with Didumos 8th speed gearbox
  • Openable doors, hood and bonnet. Rear doors are opening via big linear actuators.
  • Interior has dark tan installations, imitating natural leather,
  • each of 4 seats is adjustable in two dimensions + support for head
  • Adjustable support for legs, two TVs, remivable tables, vine glasses. 
  • Front interior has crystal-installation above the glove box.
  • Stereosystem with 8 dynamics

Video of it's features is in the progress.

All photos: https://bricksafe.com/pages/Aleh/wip-sedan/rolls-royce_phantom-ewb-2021

1280x853.jpg

1280x853.jpg

1280x853.jpg1280x853.jpg

1280x853.jpg

1280x853.jpg1280x853.jpg1280x853.jpg1280x853.jpg1280x853.jpg1280x853.jpg1280x853.jpg1280x853.jpg1280x853.jpg1280x853.jpg1280x853.jpg1280x853.jpg

Edited by Aleh

Allright then, if removing front driverain it will give me a lot of room between the front wheels and I can make an attempt of housing the W12 there...

Don't give up so fast on everything.

Just idea on which I'm workng now, maybe something similar can work for You. Yes, You won't be able to use dogbones

800x600.jpg

And then for top connection, maybe this combinations is possible

800x654.jpg

If you want to build a Bentley (or a VW Pheaton) you'll have to find a way to squeeze in the gearbox without compromizing the rear seats, because these are very important on luxury cars like this. Under the rear seats has worked quite well for me in my R32 GT-R :wink:

22 hours ago, MinusAndy said:

For the brakes you could compromise and put them on the prop shaft. Certainly for the rear.

That's a great idea.

I think that you shouldn't leave the steering out:

• Go for a V8, it's smaller...
  • Maybe you'll have to use a "fake" engine

But please, put all in. They are both very important parts when you want to build a sedan, especially a luxury car.

Somewhere on this forum a guy built an epic people carrier a while back that had so many features you’re looking for. I’d search it out and have a look if I were you.

Hello!  Oh, susprisely,  topic hasgreat responce.

I have rebuild front suspension a litle bit - a replace dogbons for regular steering arm, sterring became much smooother! Thanks @Jurss!

As for now chassis has connected AWD, luckily I was able to rebuild front drivetrain and now gear connections are strong without undensity.

Then all four hubs has connected pneumatic cylinders - this caused rebuild of the rear chassis and rear hubs.

Now I will investigate a gearbox and consider taking someone's decision as a basis because I won't develop my own - my weak point is gearboxes and differential's advances properties.

I will upload several photos a bit later.

Hello! Here a have some updates. It may seems nothing changed, but actually model has several major udpates.

General chassis view. Now in scale. 

1920x1440.jpg

Front suspension: I've replaces those dogbones and the steering becomes much smoother! Now I have to handle steering anywhere...

1920x1440.jpg

1920x1440.jpg

1920x1440.jpg

Rear suspencion also changed - I added brakes and make the axle thicker 2 studs.

1920x1440.jpg

1920x1440.jpg

1920x1440.jpg

And here is the model "as is":

Axle with yellow knob is a gear shifter - it's suppossed to be connected anywhere.

Fake V12 has dravt connection to the gearbox output.

The gearbox itself is the moderated Didumos one. I make it AWD. https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-16088/Didumos/sequential-8-speed-transmission-tunnel-with-rotary-catches-and-8-to-1-gearblock/#details

1920x1440.jpg

So in the theme of the chassis I still have two problems - how to handle steering rack - I have a total lack of the room for the steering axle... and how many attempts should i need to connect gear shifter to the steering wheel... 

And it's time to call the project - 2020 Rollce Royce Phantom EWB

Looks interesting!

I like the effort put into the suspension design, and the pneumatic brakes are fairly unusual as well! Maybe I should try to collect enough small cylinders to build a similar system.

Good work!

Happy New Year to everyone! I wish you stay health and happy!

I have some progress here in my WIP Phantom VIII.

Here are the actual progress.

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

The latest photo displays that there is no room for the rear sofa, which make the whole project failed. 
I have to rebuild the chassis, remove FRD and leave only RWD and move gearbox for at least 11 studs to the front. I have some wishing to do that, but not too much. Another cool project is flying around my mind.

Here is the defender seat, which has 5 studs width and we can definitely see it's out of scale small, I need at least 7 studs wide rear chair, which is impossible due to the gearbox. 
So no other way exists except rebuilding.

800x600.jpg

L - logic :classic:

Images in bigger resolution:

https://bricksafe.com/pages/Aleh/wip-sedan

Imo the Center Tunnel is way too wide for a luxury car that is supposed to be comfortable and offer lots of space.

You could try to push the Gearbox under the rear Seats and under the Trunk to gain more Interior Space. I know sequential Transmissions work differently, but maybe it can give you an idea: Here is an example pic where I did this with a 6-Speed Manual Transmission

IMG_20201120_132513.jpg

Nowadays I have an inpiration to continue the building, here let me share the progress here.

I generally rebuild the drive train, mean installing the gearbox as close to the front as possible - now there is a lot of room for the rear passengers. I build 3 seats as a draft, taken from Rudged Supercar project.

Made TV, table and legs support.

Now I'm working with the front end. 

Next step is the front fenders and the bonnet I assume.

1920x1440.jpg

1920x1440.jpg

1920x1440.jpg

1920x1440.jpg

Hello, I came up with this VERY robust bonnet, but I understood suddenly, that this's too high. 

Bonnet obviously should be 1 stud high. Hmmm.

1920x1440.jpg

Hello! Let's bump this dusty topic.
I started another project, but quickly understood that I can't build several mocs simultaneously. It's not interesting to switch from one project to another. I don't understand how, for example, @Sariel is able to design several mocs simultaneously, I really wonder how he does this. So I've temporary abandoned the second project and concentrate on this one only.

Ok, suddenly today I found a topic with @Isaac Yaw's Phantom, which is pretty cool and desided to share some progress of mine version. Solution of colour scheme is definitely defined. Interior for rear passengers is almost complete, front interior is still absent at all :)
I came up with a roof attempt which is still in progress. Side doors are also ready from the 4th-5th attempt :) But the drivetrain to manage rear doors was removed after door was rebuild and the new one is not ready. I wanted door handles to imitate crystal, but the transparent parts were almost not visible, so I installed this strange colour, let it  imitate any kind of crystal :)
1280x960.jpeg

1280x960.jpeg

1280x960.jpeg

1280x960.jpeg

1280x960.jpeg

to be continued I hope.

Edited by Aleh

8 hours ago, Aleh said:

I don't understand how, for example, @Sariel is able to design several mocs simultaneously, I really wonder how he does this.

Four words: waiting for Bricklink orders. When I'm forced to wait for parts for one project, I just switch to another. Or maybe yesterday I felt like continuing on project A but today I'd rather go back to project B.

10 hours ago, Sariel said:

maybe yesterday I felt like continuing on project A but today I'd rather go back to project B.

Now I definitely understand that this approach does not suit me. I prefer to concentrate on single model. Missing parts, hmmm, replacement maybe or delay the project. Whom how, thanks for the answer, anyway, Pawel! 

But I can't exclude that one day I will switch to another project because some idea suddenly comes :)

Edited by Aleh

Dear Eurobricks members, I understood suddenly at the final stage that the MOC is out of scale - it's got too wide. To make the bodykit narrower is not a problem, but the suspesion is.

1280x960.jpeg

1280x960.jpeg

1280x960.jpeg

I care! about this issue, but anyway I'm going to  finish the project. Maybe this will be called simply Luxury car and Rollce Royce will stay unreachable for me.

Damn, that sucks. I am sorry. the same thing happened to me as well on my first 1:8 car MOC, but I was able to decrease the transmission width by 2 studs and keep the suspension. Luckily most of the bodywork was still WIP at that stage.

Did I count right with an overall width of 31 studs? I am aware of the amount of work required to slim the car down to a 29 stud width at this stage of completion. But what kind of suspension did you use that is not possible to fit in a 29 stud width?!

Good luck m8

3 hours ago, chlego said:

Or you could make it even longer 😉. Looks good!

Noo))

52 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

Damn, that sucks. I am sorry. the same thing happened to me as well on my first 1:8 car MOC, but I was able to decrease the transmission width by 2 studs and keep the suspension. Luckily most of the bodywork was still WIP at that stage.

Did I count right with an overall width of 31 studs? I am aware of the amount of work required to slim the car down to a 29 stud width at this stage of completion. But what kind of suspension did you use that is not possible to fit in a 29 stud width?!

Good luck m8

Actually the body has 27 studs width and wheel arches are 29 studs in width. But this also seems too wide :(
I use custom suspension, the main difficlulty is that between front wheels 8 speed transmission starts. 

I will investigate if there is any chance to make car 2 studs narrower. 

Thank you very much for the responce!

Rear and front. Bottom view.

1280x960.jpeg

1280x960.jpeg

The car is on the finish line at last!
1280x1707.jpeg

1280x1707.jpeg

1280x960.jpeg

I still would like to improve gloves box, adjust pleumatic brakes, improve some points here and there.

So you managed to decrease the width 2 studs more? I am glad!

So your overall width is 27 studs including the exteded wheel arches? That's pretty slim actually! What's the overall legth?

My cars are generally 29 studs wide, and my widebody Mazda RX-7 is even 31 studs wide! (and the front spliter extends another 2 studs on each side so 35 studs in front lol)

The difference is probably the scale, Rolls Royce has probably massive wheels irl

1 hour ago, Gray Gear said:

So you managed to decrease the width 2 studs more? I am glad!

I rebuild the front bumber which was too wide and surprisely out of blueprint even.

So your overall width is 27 studs including the exteded wheel arches? That's pretty slim actually! What's the overall legth?

The car is 27 studs width, wheel arches are 29.  The length is 77 studs

The difference is probably the scale, Rolls Royce has probably massive wheels irl

I think yes - the scale is going to be 1^9 on these wheels, while your cars are 1:8, if I'm not wrong. 

Thanks for the reply!