I was just on the 'Everything we know so far' page for 2021, which I check regularly, and realised that despite I having known about both these sets for at least a month, I've seen almost no discussion of them Eurobricks.  If there has been, can a mod please merge or delete this post.

Just for the details:

10280 Flower Bouquet

756 pieces

US$49.99 / EUR49.99 / £44.99

10281 Bonsai

878 pieces

US$49.99 / EUR49.99 / £44.99

These are the first two unbranded small 18+ sets.  The PPP seems pretty good.

10281 is listed on Brickset now, but with no info.  10280 is not.  Interestingly, 10281 has been put under 'Sculptures' - the fourth in this category, after Statue of Liberty, LEGO Minifigure, and LEGO Dragon (all released 20 years previously).  Both sets are scheduled for release January 2021.

A leaked image of the Bonsai was posted on Instagram today, probably resulting in Brickset adding it to their inventory.

What do you think of these sets?  Is the small size a good thing?  Do you see many more being released in the future?  If so, what?

Discuss below.

Edited by Vilhelm22
tags added, title changed

Oh my :pir-love:. Looks amazing!!

Now that's painful for the Ideas project...

Edited by JintaiZ

28 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Now that's painful for the Ideas project...

Yeah.  The only mention I've seen anywhere of the set is here, by @Lucarex a couple weeks ago in the IDEAS discussion.  

...if that rumour is true, the gorgeous Bonsai Ideas set that has just made review, will have already been privately rejected.

I'm afraid they're probably right.

Lately LEGO is producing a lot of objects that I would rather have as the original real things than made in bricks. Musical instruments, plants, video games... even as an AFOL and considering they're well made, I'd choose the functional original thing.

I guess there must be interest in these sets considering the ammount of them.

4 hours ago, Wesley D said:

Lately LEGO is producing a lot of objects that I would rather have as the original real things than made in bricks. Musical instruments, plants, video games... even as an AFOL and considering they're well made, I'd choose the functional original thing.

I guess there must be interest in these sets considering the ammount of them.

Me too. I cannot see the point of a brick built bonsai. It is a nice build, but not as nice as a real one. 

20 minutes ago, MAB said:

Me too. I cannot see the point of a brick built bonsai. It is a nice build, but not as nice as a real one. 

As someone who is allergic to most flowers and hilariously incapable of keeping houseplants alive, I would much prefer the LEGO models. :laugh:

6 hours ago, MAB said:

Ever tried keeping a real bonsai healthy and thriving? It’s far from easy ?

Instant buy for me Jan 1st.

Edited by Lucarex

Bonsai set could be useful for more then just a display model, also serve as a tree in a minifig setting.

At least I like it a lot more then a typical non-minifig scale static object like a piano/typewriter.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, Actionfigure said:

I am afraid they copied my bouquet! After all the bonsai wasn´t an idea of Lego itself, too!

These sets take at least 2 years to develop.  I don’t know when your bouquet was shown to the public, but honestly they probably didn’t.  Sets like these of utmost detail are in planning for a long time...

4 hours ago, Actionfigure said:

I am afraid they copied my bouquet! After all the bonsai wasn´t an idea of Lego itself, too!

I highly doubt they copied the IDEAS one. They are just similar ideas. 

9 hours ago, Robert8 said:

And now there is a brick-built brick (GWP)

This is getting out of hand :laugh:

There was already one last year, just a new colour for this year.

14 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

These sets take at least 2 years to develop.  I don’t know when your bouquet was shown to the public, but honestly they probably didn’t.  Sets like these of utmost detail are in planning for a long time...

No sets take a maximum of 2 years to develop.

But yes they do take quite some time to be designed.

Blurry picture leaked for the bouquet. Does it come with a transparent vase made of 4x4x6 quarter cylinders? Or is it something bigger?

On 11/13/2020 at 5:37 PM, Anonknee Muss said:

No sets take a maximum of 2 years to develop.

But yes they do take quite some time to be designed.

On 11/13/2020 at 3:23 AM, Vilhelm22 said:

Oh well... it depends; but a set in the $50 range should take about less than a year to develop...

On 11/13/2020 at 9:23 AM, Vilhelm22 said:

Maybe they think it takes much less time if they simply copy mine! :wink:

For those wanting to see the bouquet better, hold it at a distance - it looks amazing!  Wonder what the dimensions will be!

10 hours ago, Actionfigure said:

Maybe they think it takes much less time if they simply copy mine! :wink:

Nah... other than 10271 and 10277, I doubt the designers copied from MOCs.

On 11/12/2020 at 11:56 AM, MAB said:

Me too. I cannot see the point of a brick built bonsai.

My real ones all died. :cry2:

On 11/13/2020 at 7:35 AM, Actionfigure said:

They did not. The leaked image looks completely different. But nice attempt to lure us into your website. ;-)

The bonsai definitely looks very nice from the new more focused pics I saw today.  The bouquet now in focus looks amazing!

Even if no details have been added, both have an entry on Brickset now, plus 10278 (pretty sure it’s the new modular).

I have to admit I really like these LEGO plants - they don’t need continuous focus but still look amazing. I also know people who are allergic to flower pollen, so this is an easy answer for them.  I think the bouquet in particular will sell pretty well. Interested to see where this 18+ subtheme will go next...

Also any idea of the bouquet dimensions?

Edited by Vilhelm22

As an extra, just noticed the ‘Botanical Collection’ title on the box, implying a continuation of floral sets.

I’m gonna change the topic title from ‘sculptures’ to ‘botanical collection’.

Love them both! The bonsai is going to look great on my desk (if we're ever allowed to return to the office), a discreet but cute touch of Lego. And the technique used for the flowers looks like it's something else. So creative, and the colours are great.