Trainaud(LegoRailCreaties)

Train moc speed problem

Hello everyone

While I was testing my HLE 21 Locomotive moc, I noticed that the speed seemed very slow. It uses 2 L-motors that are gearend with a 20 tooth gear and a 12 tooth gear.

This is then connected to another 12 tooth gear that drives the other 12 tooth gears connected to the wheels

20201110_165443_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.83837ff2b6b56318d3292d9f63452480.jpg

First thing I'd check is if the gears are meshing correctly. I once had a model that while moving would work itself loose and the gears would just keep skipping teeth until it just didn't mesh at all because it knocked itself that far out of alignment.

46 minutes ago, High_Admiral said:

First thing I'd check is if the gears are meshing correctly. I once had a model that while moving would work itself loose and the gears would just keep skipping teeth until it just didn't mesh at all because it knocked itself that far out of alignment.

I have checked it and it doesn't skip gears ,but thanks for the help anyway

29 minutes ago, 1963maniac said:

Make sure your motors are not spinning against each other? This also sounds like too much backlash.

They aren't spinning against eachother. Thanks for the help.

What do you call very slow? Crawling, or just slower than a train motor? If it's the latter - that's normal.

Is it slow in a straight line or only around curves? If it has a problem in curves, remove friction bands on one side of the engine.

If it's really crawling, test individual parts; are the motors spinning ok outside of the model? Do the wheels spin freely when the motors are removed?

Normally there is room within the bogie itself to put a horisontal 20T gear which in turn drives the vertical 12T which are on the wheel axles. That way you get a slight boost in speed. 

A bit like this, although this shows a fixed motor, not a bogie. But I think you get my point...

PF-L-motor concept 1

Edited by Selander
Spelling mistake. Picture inserted

2 hours ago, Selander said:

Normally there is room within the bogie itself to put a horisontal 20T gear which in turn drives the vertical 12T which are on the wheel axles. That way you get a slight boost in speed. 

A bit like this, although this shows a fixed motor, not a bogie. But I think you get my point...

PF-L-motor concept 1

Thanks for the help. I think I'll use that 20T gear instead of a 12T, but I don't have it in my collection , so I have buy it on Bricklink.

14 hours ago, Duq said:

What do you call very slow? Crawling, or just slower than a train motor? If it's the latter - that's normal.

Is it slow in a straight line or only around curves? If it has a problem in curves, remove friction bands on one side of the engine.

If it's really crawling, test individual parts; are the motors spinning ok outside of the model? Do the wheels spin freely when the motors are removed?

https://youtu.be/NjiPCW93AhM

Here is some footage of it running at top speed. It's remarkably slower than a train motor at top speed. 

It handles curves fine in my opinion.

There shouldn't be any problem with the motors because they're brand new, but thanks for helping.

That speed is normal and fine for two L-Motors with 20 to 12 tooth gearing.

I had exactly the same reaction when I transitioned from Train motors to Technic motors with much lower rpm (but much more torgue) :laugh:

You are comparing ~1.458 rpm to ~453 rpm max. speed with completely fresh AAA batteries.
https://www.philohome.com/motors/motorcomp.htm

One of the (few) ways to get more speed is to send more voltage to the L-Motors.
Either by using a BuWizz battery box or by using rechargeable 1,6v NiZn batteries in the standard AAA battery box.
The L-Motors can easily handle more than the stated 9v.

Or buy a L-Motor with more rpm from a competitor :wink:

Max. speed using the same configuration as you with 7,4v:

Max. speed using the same configuration as you with 9,2v:

Max. speed using the same configuration as you with 10,2v:

Edited by dtomsen

3 hours ago, dtomsen said:

That speed is normal and fine for two L-Motors with 20 to 12 tooth gearing.

I had exactly the same reaction when I transitioned from Train motors to Technic motors with much lower rpm (but much more torgue) :laugh:

You are comparing ~1.458 rpm to ~453 rpm max. speed with completely fresh AAA batteries.
https://www.philohome.com/motors/motorcomp.htm

One of the (few) ways to get more speed is to send more voltage to the L-Motors.
Either by using a BuWizz battery box or by using rechargeable 1,6v NiZn batteries in the standard AAA battery box.
The L-Motors can easily handle more than the stated 9v.

Or buy a L-Motor with more rpm from a competitor :wink:

Max. speed using the same configuration as you with 7,4v:

Max. speed using the same configuration as you with 9,2v:

Max. speed using the same configuration as you with 10,2v:

Thank you very much helping me:classic:. I was thinking about maybe buying a BuWizz battery box, but now you have convinced me to actually buy one.