Sign in to follow this  
Keymonus

[OL-Troops] El Oleonda Ragamuffins

Fort Arltrees, November 620, El Oleonda

As the battle for El Oleonda arrived at a stalemate, the Oleander presence on the island could become more stable: the first wave of colonists arrived in Fort Arltrees, with small farms, houses and workshops sprouting near to the fort itself. This was for sure something absolutely positive, but also started turning the small settlement into an interesting prey for hostile natives, Lotii soldiers or deserters and, even worse, for Corrington.

A small militia was therefore raised in the town: currently, a single platoon framed in the 1ere Compagnie Milice Coloniale de Fort Arltrees, together with a small unit of Essener mercenaries.

50586763796_0ce4db9e9d_b.jpg

The soldiers of this unit are nicknamed ragamuffins, due to their untidy and "customized" uniforms: the blue coat, ubiquitous in the Royal Army, is often torn and mended in several points, due to the long marches in the thick jungle; for the same reason, several parts of the uniform are replaced with robust and comfortable hunting clothes.

IMG_0159

These soldiers lack most of the formal training and discipline of the regular army. However, they know how to move and survive in the hostile jungle of El Oleonda, and how to fight in this unique environment. An attacking army must cross the jungle to reach Fort Arltrees, and there the ragamuffins would make their stand, shooting from the bushes and hunting the enemies, one after the other.

50586884977_66912d375c_b.jpg

These soldiers are expert trackers, who can find and follow the little clues that a group of people inevitably leaves.
(Note: the color of the little piece of cloth, possibly ripped off a coat or a jacket, is not so casual)

Fort Arltrees militia

The whole figbarf

50586884997_feea78b163_b.jpg

The officer discussing with a native warrior.

(Note: the credit for the warrior's design goes to @Khorne).

------

I'll use this small building to raise a platoon of soldiers in Fort Arltrees.

A lot of attention in all your builds to this being a new settlement, just getting started. You are painting a really great picture with your accompanying stories.

I love the ragtag look of these guys. They look like a proper militia or the sorts. I'm not too keen on the name, but that's mostly because of personal thing. 'Raggamuffin' is the title of a song by a Belgian singer and I always think of that song when I read that word and it doesn't match the vibe of the soldiers :grin:.

22 hours ago, Keymonus said:

(Note: the color of the little piece of cloth, possibly ripped off a coat or a jacket, is not so casual)

Fort Arltrees militia

So going by the dark green on the head of the "soldier" third from the right, Oleon military now targets Eslandolans as well? Who aren't the bluecoats not at war with these days? The WTCM is taking notes! :pir-grin:

18 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Just wow... I really like all the details included!

5 hours ago, Fraunces said:

that's a real nice minifig selection. Great thread

Thank you, guys! Actually, I started assembling the minifigs, and then I decided how to use them... I'm glad you like them!

20 hours ago, Khorne said:

I love the ragtag look of these guys. They look like a proper militia or the sorts. I'm not too keen on the name, but that's mostly because of personal thing. 'Raggamuffin' is the title of a song by a Belgian singer and I always think of that song when I read that word and it doesn't match the vibe of the soldiers :grin:.

Well, effectively not the best mood! :pir_tong2: However, I'm glad you like my minifigs!

On 11/10/2020 at 7:16 PM, CapOnBOBS said:

A lot of attention in all your builds to this being a new settlement, just getting started. You are painting a really great picture with your accompanying stories.

Thanks! Most of my previous builds were centered in or around Astrapi, but now I have my own creature, and I hope to see it grow! :pir-classic:

1 hour ago, Darnok said:

So going by the dark green on the head of the "soldier" third from the right, Oleon military now targets Eslandolans as well? Who aren't the bluecoats not at war with these days? The WTCM is taking notes! :pir-grin:

No, you may have misunderstood... my caption just refers to the photo above. These are just bandanas, my guys don't take uniform parts as trophies. Maybe scalps, but not uniform parts! :tongue:

Edited by Keymonus

2 hours ago, Keymonus said:

No, you may have misunderstood... my caption just refers to the photo above. These are just bandanas, my guys don't take uniform parts as trophies. Maybe scalps, but not uniform parts! :tongue:

Bah humbug, fake news! Your weak attempt at supressing the truth - Oleon murdering innocent Eslandolians! - only highlights the treachery of your bluecoated brethren. This treason will be known all over the Brick Seas!

@Keymonus Nice minifigs and story, an excellent choice for the jungle environment.

15 hours ago, Darnok said:

Funny to hear a Corrie commenting on OL's uniform, I've noticed that a large number of Corrie's officers are wearing shamelessly the blue tunics of the bluecoats, you'd better find a better alternative, because if it's ok in peacetime, you may find your officers decimated by your redcoated grunts before they get to the battlefield.

3 hours ago, Bodi said:

Funny to hear a Corrie commenting on OL's uniform, I've noticed that a large number of Corrie's officers are wearing shamelessly the blue tunics of the bluecoats, you'd better find a better alternative, because if it's ok in peacetime, you may find your officers decimated by your redcoated grunts before they get to the battlefield.

I'll direct you to @Ayrlego and @Bregir for all things uniform in Corrington. Oleon does not have a monopoly on the colour blue though, and in contrast to your badly dressed "soldiers" Corrington officers wear a distinct shade of blue that actually suits them. :pir-tongue:

Lovely group of militia Keymonus. The soldier with the poncho is my favourite. I like how the blue coats give them all a uniformity yet each soldier is uniquely individual. Great work!