Plastic_Goth

BR 99.23-24 in aprox. 1:22

52 minutes ago, M_slug357 said:

@Plastic_Goth Its chonky! Is this for gartenbahn...?

You should add photo(s) of the irl engine.

profile schematic ver 0.2.4

It's pure L-gauge! 

Here's a pretty comprehensive video of an example running:

Nice try on the very famous "Brockenlok"!!!

Edited by CaL

Ohooooo , very nice!!! I love the way you compare the model to the blueprint.

If I see correctly, the body is 14 studs wide (apart cylinders and details) so you're on perfect LGB scale! :thumbup:

I like the fact it can run on Lego track. If needed, running on a G-Scale track is only a matter of adding two half bushes (so making the distance between the inner part of wheels to 5 studs instead of 4) :wink:

Great great model!

Ciao!

Davide

Very well designed, BUT you cannot use 2 different scales, one for the gauge and one for the locomotive body, in this way the overall look is disharmonious. The right scale should be 1:26 and the wheel diameter 38mm, this means you should use the XL wheels (if you use the 1:22 scale you should get the XXL size) and this is visible in your blueprint too, are the hidden side wheels bigger?

Let me congratulate for your wonderful dioramas in flickr (are the really built or only digitally designed?)

All in all a very nice idea for a wonderful locomotive. Best wishes for the project

Now that's a really BIG thing! Very well done. Is this a render or a picture of a real model?

Anyway, I like the tapered rear bunker. While this is a common of German tank engines (to ensure profile clearance in curves), it's rarely seen in models.

I hope you don't  mind if I mention two issues that may be improved:
The boiler diameter is too large in my opinion. A little more than 8 studs should suffice.

image.png.e6da0f9d55c89a7956c5b7c326459c3c.png

And of course @monai is right with regard to the wheels. The prototype's 1000 mm diameter translates to 45 mm for the model, which means XXL wheels for the model (43.2 mm).

Be careful with the drivetrain layout! To move such a big locomotive, the gears and the motors need to be connected very, very firmly, or it'll take your drivetrain apart.

Will there be a black version, too? The prototype never ran in gray, that's just for builder's photos.

Edit: Forget what I wrote about the boiler diameter. I just looked it up in my library: The prototype has ~1600 mm outer diameter, which would be pretty exactly 9 studs for the model.

Edited by Tenderlok

Hello, thanks all for the comments. I have not yet made changes to the model based on your input, but I have produced some updated images since yesterday:

DR 99.23-24 Work in Progress

Regarding the wheels, the model currently uses XL sized drivers. I agree one size up will better suite the scale. Are Ldraw files available from anyone for these parts? I am using Bricklink Studio to make these models and images on my flickr. Thanks also for the complements regarding my recent diorama. Somehow, I am addicted to making designs and images with this software. The renders that come out of the software are quite good, but I always sharpen them up and add a little impurities to be a little artistic. It is satisfying to keep people guessing whether or not what they are seeing is photographic. 

The accuracy of the boiler size is something I might contest. Via the schematic posted above, I estimated the height of the smokebox, excluding what I'm guessing is a water heater, is about 1.7 meters. Calculating for scale, this is about 24 plates. The result is about 25 plates, which is a little large, but satisfyingly rounded via compounding different curved slope elements. The cross section @Tenderlok provides is 21 plates across, which could be boosted by a plate in all directions for a 23 plate diameter, though I think the resulting kinks in each quadrant would be an aesthetic casualty of this solution. 

(Other considerations regarding 1:22 scaling can be seen on this spreadsheet)

Perhaps now that I have added pipe greeblies to the boiler, the visual mass of the surface is divided enough to look... less massive? 

Lastly, I like rendering these preliminary images in grey, for the same reason that the real locomotive manufacturers did. It just looks cool! A majority of the parts have been checked for availability in black, however.

So you write on the spreadsheet that the gauge is 45mm, why have you reduce it to L-gauge 38mm? if you look in front of your model the too narrow gauge will pop up immediately, also the leading wheels should upscale. The rendering is very very nice but the contrast in scales is somehow disturbing. For the XXL LDRAW files try

https://www.bricktraindepot.com/resources/

regards

Wow!  That's one impressive engine. The color reminds me of something out of an old 12V LEGO catalog. I esp. like the diagram pictures.

Well done.