Kozikyo86

[MOC] The Razor Crest by Edge of Bricks

Just now, Hold0511 said:

Will do.  There is a very limited range of silver parts so its going to be a patchy effect but worth trying I feel.  Little lad is 6 and loving all things SW....

Thats awesome! I'm hoping mine loves SW too. Unlike her mother. Lol I know SW was a huge part my childhood. Had a ton of the action figures/ships and the action fleet stuff. Still need my mom to send me all that stuff. 

PDF Instructions is ready!!

409 steps and 216 pages of building :classic:

Available to purchase via paypal - 16,5 EUR

Interested? Write to my e-mail kozlowski.michal86@gmail.com

Soon also will be on Rebrickable!

8 hours ago, Kozikyo86 said:

PDF Instructions is ready!!

409 steps and 216 pages of building :classic:

Available to purchase via paypal - 16,5 EUR

Interested? Write to my e-mail kozlowski.michal86@gmail.com

Soon also will be on Rebrickable!

Hurrah! email sent and a great way to start the day!

11 hours ago, Zer0100ne said:

Thats awesome! I'm hoping mine loves SW too. Unlike her mother. Lol I know SW was a huge part my childhood. Had a ton of the action figures/ships and the action fleet stuff. Still need my mom to send me all that stuff. 

Fingers crossed - likewise only my mum gave all my stuff away to a neighbour - who then sold it all - hey ho....I'm still working on my daughter to come back from Lego Harry Potter but that line sure does know how to produce some great sets...

9 hours ago, Hold0511 said:

Hurrah! email sent and a great way to start the day!

Fingers crossed - likewise only my mum gave all my stuff away to a neighbour - who then sold it all - hey ho....I'm still working on my daughter to come back from Lego Harry Potter but that line sure does know how to produce some great sets...

I was super excited to see the instructions drop. I think I emailed him within 20 min. Haha Do you know when you'll get your parts? I'm hoping to build by next weekend. :)

Thats rough. I'm sorry your stuff was given away. :/ My wife is into the Harry Potter sets. I'm jus stoked she started like lego. Its cool to be able to share that with her. We watch the Harry Potter movies every December and I finally convinced her to also watch all the SW movies too this yr. :D

4 hours ago, Zer0100ne said:

I was super excited to see the instructions drop. I think I emailed him within 20 min. Haha Do you know when you'll get your parts? I'm hoping to build by next weekend. :)

Thats rough. I'm sorry your stuff was given away. :/ My wife is into the Harry Potter sets. I'm jus stoked she started like lego. Its cool to be able to share that with her. We watch the Harry Potter movies every December and I finally convinced her to also watch all the SW movies too this yr. :D

Awesome, good luck with the build.  I think I may be post Xmas, one of my 5 orders is Lego B&P and that's taking about 5 weeks to arriving from shipping, plus it will come from Denmark to the UK over Xmas...so sometime in Jan before I can start I suspect.  My good lady likes the expert Corner sets so we are an all around lego gang.  The HP lego are excellent sets - great fun to build and play with the kids.

That is one fantastic model!

If you don't mind some feedback, I might have a good solution for the gap between the curved part of the bow and the rest of the fuselage. 

Spoiler

razorcrest_1.jpg

Using cheese slopes, the gap is nearly closed. This construction however does restrict the usage of the 1x2x3 inverted slope I'm afraid.

razorcrest_2.jpg

(please don't pay attention to the lower bow of the ship, there's a piece missing there still.)

I suppose though most people aren't bothered by that gap at all :pir_laugh2:.

5 hours ago, Sebeus I said:

That is one fantastic model!

If you don't mind some feedback, I might have a good solution for the gap between the curved part of the bow and the rest of the fuselage. 

Reveal hidden contents

razorcrest_1.jpg

Using cheese slopes, the gap is nearly closed. This construction however does restrict the usage of the 1x2x3 inverted slope I'm afraid.

razorcrest_2.jpg

(please don't pay attention to the lower bow of the ship, there's a piece missing there still.)

I suppose though most people aren't bothered by that gap at all :pir_laugh2:.

Nice, but gap is very little, I don't want change this :) 

You build your own MOC? 

4 hours ago, Kozikyo86 said:

Nice, but gap is very little, I don't want change this :) 

You build your own MOC? 

Well, as a matter of fact, Initially I just wanted to replicate your model to put it on my "not-by-me-MOC-shelf". As I think yours is the perfect compromise between manageable scale and accuracy to the real thing.  But then I was bothered by that gap and began looking at some reference pictures from the series. After that I decided I didn't want a dark grey underside, had some issues with the rear landing gear pods and from one thing came another. There's not much of your original left in my model. But it did inspire me to eventually come up with my own design. Thank you for that! :pir-grin:.

Edited by Sebeus I

1 hour ago, Sebeus I said:

Well, as a matter of fact, Initially I just wanted to replicate your model to put it on my "not-by-me-MOC-shelf". As I think yours is the perfect compromise between manageable scale and accuracy to the real thing.  But then I was bothered by that gap and began looking at some reference pictures from the series. After that I decided I didn't want a dark grey underside, had some issues with the rear landing gear pods and from one thing came another. There's not much of your original left in my model. But it did inspire me to eventually come up with my own design. Thank you for that! :pir-grin:.

Pics or it didn't happen...?

All joking aside would you mind posting?  The pics of of your gap fix got me curious. 

13 hours ago, Zer0100ne said:

Pics or it didn't happen...?

All joking aside would you mind posting?  The pics of of your gap fix got me curious. 

Here you go:

Spoiler

razorcrest_3.jpg

I haven't got much of the ship yet, I think I need to widen the rear part with the landing pods a bit. Also the lower bow is missing two parts. I am counting on LEGO to release those new corner curved bricks in grey soon.

One of my requirements is to not have any bulkheads in the hold, I want it to be like in the series.

razorcrest_4.jpg

I may make my own tread for this. It kind of depends on how much more I will deviate from @Kozikyo86 's original model.

I haven't started on the upper parts of the ship yet but right now I feel Kzikyo86's design for that part is spot on.

59 minutes ago, Sebeus I said:

Here you go:

Reveal hidden contents

razorcrest_3.jpg

I haven't got much of the ship yet, I think I need to widen the rear part with the landing pods a bit. Also the lower bow is missing two parts. I am counting on LEGO to release those new corner curved bricks in grey soon.

One of my requirements is to not have any bulkheads in the hold, I want it to be like in the series.

razorcrest_4.jpg

I may make my own tread for this. It kind of depends on how much more I will deviate from @Kozikyo86 's original model.

I haven't started on the upper parts of the ship yet but right now I feel Kzikyo86's design for that part is spot on.

Good deal. Looking forward to it. :)

Finished the build, very happy with the result - some quick pics (sorry can't get any decent light on the table so tried using a sheet to help).

A couple of fiddly bits but nothing serious so kudos for a lovely build and excellent set of instructions to Michal and his Edge of Bricks MOCs - awesome job!  @Kozikyo86

I've made a couple of very minor cosmetic amends to the build and I can now have my series 2 Mando living in this one with all his beskar kit whilst series 1 Mando, Kuiil, Blurg etc can stay in my modded Lego RZ.

img_0175.jpg

img_0176.jpg

img_0182.jpg

@Hold0511

That build looks great, I'm surprised there are that many bricks in the various metallic/silver colours out there. Are all the metallic/silver bricks genuine lego or did you have to paint/modify some of them? If you don't mind me asking, how much did the finished build cost?

Tossing up between building the @Kozikyo86 Razor Crest and the @TGBDZ Play Scale Ghost next; any recommendations?

43 minutes ago, Bricktastrophe said:

@Hold0511

That build looks great, I'm surprised there are that many bricks in the various metallic/silver colours out there. Are all the metallic/silver bricks genuine lego or did you have to paint/modify some of them? If you don't mind me asking, how much did the finished build cost?

Tossing up between building the @Kozikyo86 Razor Crest and the @TGBDZ Play Scale Ghost next; any recommendations?

Thanks.  The cost ended up about £170 as I swapped out some parts post build.  The build was a mix of Flat Silver, Metalic Silver, PLG and sprayed lego parts - as you are aware there are only limited parts in silver available - the effect mimics the drum lacquered approach Lego uses to make its own metallic gold and silver parts and is not destructive/permanent.   I'm not a Ghost fan to be honest so I can only say the RZ is a great build, looks great and my lad loves playing with it.

Edited by Hold0511

@Hold0511, Thanks for the info. I've started ordering parts; we're lucky enough to have a storefront that sells parts loose in bulk too so I'll spend half my Sunday digging through part bins for metallic parts. I plan on displaying it on my Mandolorian shelf next to the UCS Slave 1 and Boba Fett Helmet.

Obviously this RZ MOC is closer to play scale than true minifig/UCS scale; does anyone know how it compares to the UCS Slave 1?

I guess I could just put it next to the 20th anniversary Slave 1, which is a perfect play-scale set IMO. (I have four different Slave 1s built, with another on the way when the Book of Boba Fett/Mando S2 set is released)

@Sebeus I, did you ever end up finishing your version of the Razor Crest?

@Zer0100ne, did you have pictures of your RZ?

2 hours ago, Bricktastrophe said:

@Hold0511, Thanks for the info. I've started ordering parts; we're lucky enough to have a storefront that sells parts loose in bulk too so I'll spend half my Sunday digging through part bins for metallic parts. I plan on displaying it on my Mandolorian shelf next to the UCS Slave 1 and Boba Fett Helmet.

Obviously this RZ MOC is closer to play scale than true minifig/UCS scale; does anyone know how it compares to the UCS Slave 1?

I guess I could just put it next to the 20th anniversary Slave 1, which is a perfect play-scale set IMO. (I have four different Slave 1s built, with another on the way when the Book of Boba Fett/Mando S2 set is released)

@Sebeus I, did you ever end up finishing your version of the Razor Crest?

@Zer0100ne, did you have pictures of your RZ?

I threw the pics I already had on my phone onto a reddit post. Let me know if there are any specific angles you were looking for and I should be able to take those for you. :)

Cheers!

@Zer0100neThanks mate, looks great. I'm guessing the parts were pretty easy to track down in the States. I'm having trouble massing the required number of wedge plates, wedges, slopes in LBG here down under. Always jealous of how readily available everything seems to be over there!

2 hours ago, Bricktastrophe said:

@Zer0100neThanks mate, looks great. I'm guessing the parts were pretty easy to track down in the States. I'm having trouble massing the required number of wedge plates, wedges, slopes in LBG here down under. Always jealous of how readily available everything seems to be over there!

For this one I had roughly 80% in my inventory. Needed tiles and 1×2 plates mostly but in general yeah it isn't too bad. 

I do feel for you guys though. Seems like you guys get the shit end of the stick all the way around when it comes to LEGO. :/ 

@Kozikyo86, Love it! I bought the instructions recently, and have about 80% of the parts ordered for the original version. Does the stud.io file include the updated parts list? I assume that means you don't have instructions for the update (sorry, never used stud.io before).

I noticed @juergen.wittner on Instagram had added ski pieces to the rear of the engines on your RZ design, have you seen his mod? Your design is great, but I like the skis (which I assume take inspiration from @Jerac's UCS scale RZ) as they add another degree of detail. I don't know how you feel about it but my favourite MOCs are the ones others can take and make their own modifications to, it creates a real sense of community around the original designer's work.

This is one of my all time favourite MOCs, and only m second non-Jerac MOC I've bought instructions for. I'm looking forward to tinkering with it, just like Din in Mando S1E2.

@Bricktastrophe The stud.io file contains only the parts after the update.

I've seen Juergen modifications, I like a few things, a few less. I don't like the one with the skis, the engine is too long and has the wrong shape. I like when someone makes modifications to my projects. I myself was inspired by Juergen and changed the front of the engines.

Sometimes, someone who makes modifications claims it as their own design (does not mention the designer) and that's not cool :)

Show necessarily the modification that you do, maybe I'll see something and do it in my Razor! Have fun :)

On 7/16/2021 at 11:48 AM, Kozikyo86 said:

Hi all!

I just added new Stud.io file on Rebrickable. 

If you already have my PDF, you can download update design with new engines and sides painting.

Recommend for advanced users, good knowlage of Stud.io

Curses never used stud.io only LDD and badly at that....the new engine front nozzles are better than the original - does changing those need the Stud.io expertise can I ask please? (I can live with the sides for the medium term).