evancelt

[GOC-FB-COR] Parade Preparation

Great parades are planned for the Corlander capital of Belson in the lead up to hostilities with Oleon.

As preparation for the parades, soldiers of the 26th Foot undergo the ritual of "Absolute Stillness".

Under the close watch of senior officers, the company must remain absolutely still - they may not make a single movement. The company that can remain motionless for the longest period of time receives the honor of vanguard position in the parade.

parade-1_crop.jpg

parade-2.jpg

Spoiler

This build is on top of DUPLOS! I wanted to play around with a Duplo base and ended up making a bridge-like thing with castle parapets.

parade-process-1.jpg

parade-process-2.jpg

parade-process-3.jpg

parade-process-4.jpg

parade-process-5.jpg

Edited by evancelt

An impressive display from the 26th Foot!

For GoC: The build itself is fairly simplistic which works well for the immersive scene. It can be tricky to do, but for immersive shots, try and crop them in such a way so that no background is showing. A tip @Kingdomviewbricksonce shared with me for these kind of LEGO only scenes was to apply a 16:9 (widescreen) ratio. In this case I think it may have cut out the the base/table in the bottom left. If you had the bricks the continuation of the cobblestones under the minifigs would have been ideal as well. The SNOT medium blue works well for either sky or a building.

Overall very small nit-picks. :thumbup: from me and congratulations on completing Task 1 "Redcoats Rule"!

10 minutes ago, Ayrlego said:

An impressive display from the 26th Foot!

For GoC: The build itself is fairly simplistic which works well for the immersive scene. It can be tricky to do, but for immersive shots, try and crop them in such a way so that no background is showing. A tip @Kingdomviewbricksonce shared with me for these kind of LEGO only scenes was to apply a 16:9 (widescreen) ratio. In this case I think it may have cut out the the base/table in the bottom left. If you had the bricks the continuation of the cobblestones under the minifigs would have been ideal as well. The SNOT medium blue works well for either sky or a building.

Overall very small nit-picks. :thumbup: from me and congratulations on completing Task 1 "Redcoats Rule"!

Thanks! I've cropped out the baseplate/table from the first pic per your suggestion.

Wow, I never thought to use duplo for the backgrounds... this is the Duplo knight castle 4777 isn't it ?

It works well. Also nice display of minifig... Some parts must be very rare

On 11/8/2020 at 5:15 AM, Professor Thaum said:

Wow, I never thought to use duplo for the backgrounds... this is the Duplo knight castle 4777 isn't it ?

It works well. Also nice display of minifig... Some parts must be very rare

Hi @Professor Thaum - Yeah, the parapets and portcullis are from 4777! The masonry bricks are from the more recent Duplo Pizza Stand. Our basement floor is covered in Duplo.... :pir-murder:

This GoC challenge is about "Showing off your redcoats" - the first two I did for the challenge didn't have that many minifigs, so I figured I'd do a bigger one. This past spring I downsized my imperial minifigs from ~650 (400 redcoats, 200 bluecoats, 50 greencoats) down to about 120 total (90 redcoats, 20 bluecoats, 10 greencoats). That many redcoats and bluecoats was too many and was only necessary for huge Napoleonic battles :pir-laugh: . This MOC is the most I've included in one display in a while, and it's only like ~40. I like the classic torsos way better than the new ones. So, in an effort to emphasize quality over quantity, as my sons transitioned from Duplo to Lego I gave my 6yo 50 redcoats and my 4yo 50 bluecoats. I sold the rest off.

I think the rarest items in 2020 in the pic above are probably the Imperial Governor torsos and hats? I had 24 of the governor before the purge, and have pruned that down to 10.

Some of the other items (like the black boot legs from Sushi Chef, the tricornes with white, decorated pirate bicornes, etc) you can find pretty readily on BrickLink.

Edited by evancelt

Nice build :thumbup:. So many redcoats!

I am curious: Is the ritual of "Absolute Stillness" based on a real world military tradition (British or otherwise)?

1 hour ago, Brickwolf said:

Nice build :thumbup:. So many redcoats!

I am curious: Is the ritual of "Absolute Stillness" based on a real world military tradition (British or otherwise)?

Haha not intentionally based on something real. I'm sure I would have come up with a better name if I had something to base it on. Wanted to add a premise for them looking still :pir_laugh2:

Looking good. Clever use of the Duplo pieces. Bravo for the all brick built background too, or is it a wall?

Excellent build @evancelt, and I've never seen the use of Duplo blend in so seamlessly before! The build is excellent, and that is a great collection of redcoats!

1 hour ago, Bodi said:

Looking good. Clever use of the Duplo pieces. Bravo for the all brick built background too, or is it a wall?

Thanks @Bodi! I made it as a background sky, but it does kind of look like a blue building :pir-blush: Because this scene was going to be quite large (had to fit 40 minifigs), I didn't want to use folded paper or a sheet as the background, so the Duplos made sense.

2 minutes ago, Mesabi said:

Excellent build @evancelt, and I've never seen the use of Duplo blend in so seamlessly before! The build is excellent, and that is a great collection of redcoats!

Thanks @Mesabi! With three little kids, my family has many, many Duplos so it is tempting to use them to fill space in MOCs.

A build from earlier in the summer where I put system bluecoats on a Duplo pirate ship: Little big ship

2 hours ago, SilentWolf said:

:thumbup: from me. Love the minifigures and the story. I am curious where the commanding officers hair and hat come from. 

Thanks! It's the interchangeable hat wig (DIY)!

That's some Corries!  Impressive army.  And is that a Duplo sky?  Haven't seen that before!

1 hour ago, Kai NRG said:

That's some Corries!  Impressive army.  And is that a Duplo sky?  Haven't seen that before!

Hey @Kai NRG - Yeah Duplos! Check out the hidden section in the first post to see the Duplo base

1 hour ago, evancelt said:

Hey @Kai NRG - Yeah Duplos! Check out the hidden section in the first post to see the Duplo base

Missed that!  Neat stuff!  I only ever have used trans 2x2 duplo bricks as water a few times.