Capn Frank

Which Way Do Your Flags Fly?

Which way do your flags fly?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Click now or forever hold your piece.

• Backwards
    • Forwards
    • The way the wind blows

banner-poll2.gif

Click Here to vote in more Polls!!!

ding ding ding ding!

Pirates and wenches, welcome to tonight's fight!

This is going to be a real exciting fight!

In the blue corner we have the Serapis II created by Palidin.

ser001.jpg

And in the yellow corner we have a pirate ship built by Xyston.

xyston_ship.jpg

This is not a typical fight between the Imperial Forces and the gruesome Pirates.

It's much more important than that.

This is a battle between two distinct ideals that span through all factions of the pirate universe.

Which way do you fly your flags on the top of the masts on your ships?

-Do you fly them backwards as represented by the Serapis II ship?

-Or do you fly them forwards as represented by Xyston's pirate ship?

Click on poll and state your reasons for your choice here! :thumbup:

Oh, and fight nicely too. :pir-wink:

(if you'd like to comment on the ships themselves, both pictures are links to the threads of the ships)

Why backwards of course. I usually have my ships going forward because it seems kinda hard to go backwards without your ship spinning out. :pir-sceptic:

The wind is blowing into your sails and your flags so if you are going foward so are your flags. In short the flags point where the wind blows.

The wind is blowing into your sails and your flags so if you are going foward so are your flags. In short the flags point where the wind blows.

Same thoughts here, so I've voted forwards.

Allthough sometimes (not that often) I do turn them backwards, depends on the moment :pir-tongue:

It used to be backwards until about a month ago I realised this. So mine go forward, but you could put them backwards for speed, but then again the thin, swift wind travvels faster then that fat, clumsy junk you call a "Ship" so forwards. (Not talking about the ships here, they are WAAAAAAY better then mine, so far.... :pir-skull: )

Summarise: Forward.

EDIT: I would have gone for the way the wind blows if Mr Tiber was quicker with the poll. Oh well. :pir-grin:

Edited by Axle

I remember I used to point the front flag forward and the back flag fly backwards :pir-grin: .

I do point them in wich way the wind blows nowadays though.

EDIT: I took the liberty of adding another poll option. Hope it's okay with you Phreddie. :pir-blush:

If not, we'll meet each other on the sea!! :pir_yoda:

Egad! Have we found this month's poll topic already?

But what if the flag is hanging straight down?

I have mine facing backwards, i like to think of my ships as mored of the coast sitting out at sea, if the wind is blowing my sails would be up and the boat would move with the tides pulling against the anchor, which is at the front, i realize that wind does not always go the same direction as tide, DUH, but in my Lego world the weather SYSTEM is simple...

i apologize for that horrible pun...

i think you cant answer "which way the wind is blowing" as when you put you lego flags on did you go out side to check what way it was blowing? or did you just put it on facing the front or back...

btw, if your ship is moving with the wind and your going the speed of the wind in its sails there is no wind! its like hot air ballooning, as the wind is moving you move with it (true, this is rare for a boat to do but can be done), also consider this, as you are moving along and sea spray comes over the side does it not get picked up by the wind and blown back towards you on the deck... just some thoughts, i am not an experienced sailor and just going on a few sailing trips i am no expert...

Backwards for me as i consider it more aesthetic

I would like to vote for a fourth option, if I would´ve a pirate ship that is,

and I would like to call it the apparent wind if I´m allowed to.... :pir-wink::pir-laugh:

Flag flowing forward, the way the wind blows :pir-classic:

After all, in sailing the wind doesn´t come straight from the backside most of the time.... :pir-sweet:

tallship.jpgApparent_Wind.png

V = boat speed, H = head wind, W = true wind, A = apparent wind, a = pointing angle, b = angle of apparent wind

Edited by Asuka

Looking at my ships, most of the flags seem to be facing sideways... :pir-tongue: But yes, I try to position my flags in the direction of the wind.

However, the flags on buildings and banner bearers will usually be facing around 45 degrees towards the back.

Edited by TinyPiesRUs

An original idea Phred, though I must admit I've been pondering about this question as well with regard to others.

As for me, the flag should blow like the wind does for two reasons

1) Realism

2) It looks better that way

Besides, as Asuka pointed out, the ideal sailing wind comes from a diagonal angle, slightly more aft than midships (if that is the correct translation, I am not so fluent in translating nautical terms after all :pir-classic: ) As in the picture below, all the sails of the ship can thus catch the wind.

Christian_Radich_aft_foto_Ulrich_Grun.jpg

Edited by Hairy Ruben

To quote Queen in Bohemian Rhapsody, "Any way the wind blows..." *gong*

Only seems natural. :jollyroger:

Mine fly backwards mainly, don't know why, they just do! :pir-tongue:

I Fly all my flags in all directions just to give a little variety to the mass lines of Infantry.

Edited by Fordo

I would like to vote for a fourth option, if I would´ve a pirate ship that is,

and I would like to call it the apparent wind if I´m allowed to.... :pir-wink::pir-laugh:

After all, in sailing the wind doesn´t come straight from the backside most of the time.... :pir-sweet:

tallship.jpgApparent_Wind.png

V = boat speed, H = head wind, W = true wind, A = apparent wind, a = pointing angle, b = angle of apparent wind

Well, in my seas, all winds come from the back :pir-grin::pir-tongue:

I should make it the way the wind blows, though. But how do you do that with LEGO?

Semi-Forward

My flags always fly in a semi-forward direction.

My sails are always furled forward, which is opposite from the direction from where the wind is coming from.

I think this is especially true on square rigged vessels.

And i point the flags semi-perpendicular the furling or opposite from where the wind is coming from.

In a "How-to-Sail" book that i read in the library, i read that a lateen-rigged vessel isn't the most efficient when sailing directly with the wind.

They must always be at a slight angle with the wind to get the most speed out of the wind.

I put my flags between fowards and starboard. That way it looks as though the wind is blowing in favour of the sails. A good idea for a topic though.

Regards, Captain Zuloo :pir-laugh:

Thrid option: the way the wind blows. Although I've lat the falgs go backwards on my first MOC's.. But not any more.

Although I used to have my flags go backwards on my first MOC's.. But not any more.

And why have you stopped flying them backwards?

It appears that some ppl who fly their flags backwards, convert to forwardism.

And i don't know of any forwardists who have converted backwardism.

Am i wrong?

And why have you stopped flying them backwards?

I think I saw others who had their flags flying forwards, and I wondered why that might be, and then I found out, that since the winde comes from behind the ships so it can blow wind to the sails the flags must follow the wind. But as Asuka pointed put: of course their not straight forward. So actually they should be in the semi-forward direction, as you suggested :pir-blush:

So long thing short: i found that it was more logical if i made my flags go forward.