Robert8

LEGO Monkie Kid 2021

Just an FYI:

• A selection of Monkie Kid sets are now available on Amazon Prime
  • The first season of Monkie Kid and the pilot special (previously released on Amazon Kids+) are now available on regular Amazon Prime
  • The second season of Monkie Kid is now available on Amazon Kids+ (though I think the Revenge of the Spider Queen special isn't yet, so if you're watching for the first time that way you might want to wait for that since it takes place between seasons one and two) EDIT: Revenge of the Spider Queen has also been added to Kids+

This is all for the U.S. and Canada—I haven't verified what other regions this applies to, but it's worth checking if you're interested.

Edited by Lyichir

23 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Just an FYI:

• A selection of Monkie Kid sets are now available on Amazon Prime
  • The first season of Monkie Kid and the pilot special (previously released on Amazon Kids+) are now available on regular Amazon Prime
  • The second season of Monkie Kid is now available on Amazon Kids+ (though I think the Revenge of the Spider Queen special isn't yet, so if you're watching for the first time that way you might want to wait for that since it takes place between seasons one and two)

This is all for the U.S. and Canada—I haven't verified what other regions this applies to, but it's worth checking if you're interested.

From what I've heard the sets will be exclusive to North America, but the show will be available everywhere else. Still super excited that people have an opportunity to grab the sets though. Show lego that monkie kid can do well if its widely available!

The cartoon is available on Amazon Prime in the UK too, same thing. First season and the introductory movie. The sets still aren’t available through Amazon UK, as expected.

I hope LEGO does more sets like 80020: White Dragon Horse Jet , such a good set by itself, and I like that this one focused on angled design.

Edited by TeriXeri

18 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I hope LEGO does more sets like 80020: White Dragon Horse Jet , such a good set by itself, and I like that this one focused on angled design.

Considering how hyped Mei was to pilot the Monkey Mech in the show, I really hope Mei can get a mech of her own that features that kind of awesome angular design language.

3 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Considering how hyped Mei was to pilot the Monkey Mech in the show, I really hope Mei can get a mech of her own that features that kind of awesome angular design language.

As much as id want this I feel like the new titan mech for zane from this year kinda fills that gap. it should be pretty easy to mod though, just swapping blue for green. I may give that a go. Personally I hope that she gets a small to mid size mech to be honest, I feel like MK has kinda got the market cornered with the monkie mech on that front. 

5 hours ago, Garmetrowolf said:

No news on any new sets, other than that some are apparently being released in the fall, right? 

So far we’re getting news and leaks regarding sets with a January release date. Monkie Kid 1HY sets have consistently released in March. This is normal.

Of course, if January comes and we still haven’t heard anything, then we can worry. But considering the TV show’s supposedly going to continue until 2023 at least, I think we’re safe.

6 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

So far we’re getting news and leaks regarding sets with a January release date. Monkie Kid 1HY sets have consistently released in March. This is normal.

Of course, if January comes and we still haven’t heard anything, then we can worry. But considering the TV show’s supposedly going to continue until 2023 at least, I think we’re safe.

We also know that set designs for 2023 are in development, so I don’t think there’s anything to worry about

12 hours ago, mrfang2 said:

We also know that set designs for 2023 are in development, so I don’t think there’s anything to worry about

That is, if LEGO doesn't decide to cancel those upcoming sets at the last minute due to unsatisfying sales. This has happened several times in the past, and I could easily happen again. 

16 hours ago, mrfang2 said:

Designs for Nexo Knights were in development, but that got canceled / changed to end in 2018 , Hidden Side and LEGO Movie 2 had their last wave of sets pulled rather quickly, it's not the first time LEGO cancels something, only for sets to vanish within a few months with low production run, Vidiyo is getting dumped at mega prices.

So that's 4 "Licensed In House"  (Movie/app/TV show or both) themes prematurely canceled in some form in 4 years.

With Monkie Kid being exclusive to LEGO.com in Europe, if LEGO did pull the plug, sets would be gone fast (or sold at marked up prices by 3rd party sellers).

Edited by TeriXeri

2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Designs for Nexo Knights were in development, but that got canceled / changed to end in 2018 , Hidden Side and LEGO Movie 2 had their last wave of sets pulled rather quickly, it's not the first time LEGO cancels something, only for sets to vanish within a few months with low production run, Vidiyo is getting dumped at mega prices.

So that's 4 "Licensed In House"  (Movie/app/TV show or both) themes prematurely canceled in some form in 4 years.

With Monkie Kid being exclusive to LEGO.com in Europe, if LEGO did pull the plug, sets would be gone fast (or sold at marked up prices by 3rd party sellers).

I think we need to keep in mind that European or even American sales are not what this theme lives and dies on. Despite being made available globally, this theme was designed first and foremost for the Chinese market, and I've seen no indication that it's been unsuccessful there. As long as the theme continues to prosper there, it will likely continue to be made available elsewhere, even if only through limited channels. And in fact, even as European stores apparently reduce their stock or make the sets available online only, here in America the sets are becoming more broadly available by being sold through Amazon (which as the American distributor for the show as well has somewhat of a vested interest in the theme's success).

Also, a theme getting a single wave of sets cancelled or a limited release may be common, but if Lego designers are already working on the 2023 Monkie Kid sets, it's safe to say that the 2022 sets are quite far along in development and that current sales figures still bode well for its continuation. So while it's not unlikely that Monkie Kid will end eventually (almost all themes do) I really don't see any reason to panic over any sort of imminent cancellation.

33 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

So while it's not unlikely that Monkie Kid will end eventually (almost all themes do) I really don't see any reason to panic over any sort of imminent cancellation.

I don't think my post was any panic , mostly a reflection of a "what if" , and what happened to 4 action themes in 4 years.

In fact I wish themes would be succesful so they don't have to be exclusive to LEGO.com only.

More sets like the White Dragon Horse Jet would make Space and Sci-Fi fans happy, I also think it's one of the better priced sets of the entire theme.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 10/5/2021 at 8:04 AM, a guy from somewhere said:

As much as id want this I feel like the new titan mech for zane from this year kinda fills that gap. it should be pretty easy to mod though, just swapping blue for green. I may give that a go. Personally I hope that she gets a small to mid size mech to be honest, I feel like MK has kinda got the market cornered with the monkie mech on that front. 

I'm trying an idea of combining Zane's Titan Mech with Mei's Dragon Horse Jet. But it's not going that well. 

Honestly the fact we're getting new sets at all in 2023 is a pretty big surprise. I had feared that we wouldn't be getting more past like this next wave or so.

I personally love the theme a lot more than Ninjago if it isn't apparent by what I named myself- it just has far more of a solid premise and pull for me and I find the sets to be generally more creative so this is good news as far as I'm concerned. 

On 10/15/2021 at 4:48 PM, Lyichir said:

I think we need to keep in mind that European or even American sales are not what this theme lives and dies on. Despite being made available globally, this theme was designed first and foremost for the Chinese market, and I've seen no indication that it's been unsuccessful there. As long as the theme continues to prosper there, it will likely continue to be made available elsewhere, even if only through limited channels. And in fact, even as European stores apparently reduce their stock or make the sets available online only, here in America the sets are becoming more broadly available by being sold through Amazon (which as the American distributor for the show as well has somewhat of a vested interest in the theme's success).

Also, a theme getting a single wave of sets cancelled or a limited release may be common, but if Lego designers are already working on the 2023 Monkie Kid sets, it's safe to say that the 2022 sets are quite far along in development and that current sales figures still bode well for its continuation. So while it's not unlikely that Monkie Kid will end eventually (almost all themes do) I really don't see any reason to panic over any sort of imminent cancellation.

I admire your optimism, but nobody in  here is panicking, they're just being realistic. If four original themes in a row have ended prematurely, then the odds of Monkie Kid being the exception are rather low. 

Judging by the amount of people discussing the theme in here (and online in general) I think it's safe to say that Monkie Kid hasn't created a significant following for itself, outside of a super small niche. 

We don't really know how well the Chinese market has responded, but if the previous LEGO financial reports are anything to go by, it hasn't been a particularly big hit. There has been no mention of it in those reports whatsoever, which is strange given how even the generally thought to be unsuccessful Hidden Side got an honorable "we have been satisfied with it's performance", after it's first year. 

And don't forget that LEGO hasn't been particularly honest in most of their online statements either. Each time a theme fails, they always try to put it in a positive light despite the obvious. They did that with Bionicle G2, The LEGO Movie 2, and most recently with Vidyo, and we all know what ended up happening with those themes. 

4 hours ago, Lego David said:

I admire your optimism, but nobody in  here is panicking, they're just being realistic. If four original themes in a row have ended prematurely, then the odds of Monkie Kid being the exception are rather low. 

Judging by the amount of people discussing the theme in here (and online in general) I think it's safe to say that Monkie Kid hasn't created a significant following for itself, outside of a super small niche. 

We don't really know how well the Chinese market has responded, but if the previous LEGO financial reports are anything to go by, it hasn't been a particularly big hit. There has been no mention of it in those reports whatsoever, which is strange given how even the generally thought to be unsuccessful Hidden Side got an honorable "we have been satisfied with it's performance", after it's first year. 

And don't forget that LEGO hasn't been particularly honest in most of their online statements either. Each time a theme fails, they always try to put it in a positive light despite the obvious. They did that with Bionicle G2, The LEGO Movie 2, and most recently with Vidyo, and we all know what ended up happening with those themes. 

I don't think doom and gloom is necessarily "realistic" just because other themes have ended prematurely independently of this one.

Again, judging the theme's overall success based on online discussion in primarily English-speaking venues ignores the fact that the theme's main target audience (Chinese and other Asian Lego buyers) don't make up a significant portion of users there. China in particular has a very different internet ecosystem than the Americas and Europe, especially in the domain of social media (which is heavily regulated by the Chinese government). The English-speaking online Lego community is not representative of all AFOLs worldwide, let alone of the KFOLs who make up a larger portion of Lego's audience.

Also, I don't know where this assumption that we don't know how the theme has performed in China or that it has gone unmentioned in Lego's financial reports comes from. Last year's annual report stated that "We launched LEGO® Monkie KidTM, a new theme inspired by the Chinese legend, Journey to the West, which became one of the top-selling themes in China and across Asia Pacific." To be clear, that's the only annual report that has been published since the theme's launch, and it wasn't unclear that the theme had had a successful launch in its target market. Globally, the theme's launch has not been quite as rosy but it's probably not a terrible assumption that the failure to sell sets through other venues, and to release the promotional TV series at all, has not helped matters. Now that those two roadblocks are beginning to clear, it's entirely possible for the theme to start to course correct.

3 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Also, I don't know where this assumption that we don't know how the theme has performed in China or that it has gone unmentioned in Lego's financial reports comes from. Last year's annual report stated that "We launched LEGO® Monkie KidTM, a new theme inspired by the Chinese legend, Journey to the West, which became one of the top-selling themes in China and across Asia Pacific." To be clear, that's the only annual report that has been published since the theme's launch, and it wasn't unclear that the theme had had a successful launch in its target market. Globally, the theme's launch has not been quite as rosy but it's probably not a terrible assumption that the failure to sell sets through other venues, and to release the promotional TV series at all, has not helped matters. Now that those two roadblocks are beginning to clear, it's entirely possible for the theme to start to course correct.

Well, we just had the 1st half year report just come out a few weeks ago, and I don't recall there being any mention of Monkie Kid in it whatsoever. 

Again, I am not saying the theme has outright flopped or anything, I am sure it was a moderate success in Asia at the very least, but I definitely don't believe it was a smash hit. Therefore, I am not holding any hope of the theme getting passed 2023, if it would even reach that at all.

But then again, what do I know? This discussion would be a lot more productive if some LEGO fan from China could give us some insight into how well the theme is doing in that region from their experience. That way, we could judge the theme's success a lot more accurately. 

Edited by Lego David

I’m curious how other stores, particularly in the States, are stocked on the latest wave? I ask because I’m going on the first & want to pick up the Lion Guardian but none of the (5!) stores around me have any in stock, or most of the wave. I’m hoping it’s just in between deliveries, because I heard this theme is going on, so there’s no reason to not be carrying the sets otherwise.

9 hours ago, Vindicare said:

I’m curious how other stores, particularly in the States, are stocked on the latest wave? I ask because I’m going on the first & want to pick up the Lion Guardian but none of the (5!) stores around me have any in stock, or most of the wave. I’m hoping it’s just in between deliveries, because I heard this theme is going on, so there’s no reason to not be carrying the sets otherwise.

I’m afraid most sets have been pulled from physical store shelf’s, mainly due to the fact that no one brought them so they where taking up shelf space. It’s the same here in the UK sadly. Online is probably your best and only bet I’m afraid.

On 10/26/2021 at 1:41 AM, a guy from somewhere said:

I’m afraid most sets have been pulled from physical store shelf’s, mainly due to the fact that no one brought them so they where taking up shelf space. It’s the same here in the UK sadly. Online is probably your best and only bet I’m afraid.

Well...can confirm. They’ve pulled all sets from the physical stores. It makes no sense to me. I’ve seen that the theme will continue into 2023, but I can’t see how. They can’t possibly be getting enough sales to justify it. Not only is it limited to not being sold in major retailers...it’s not even sold in the majority(assuming) their own stores. The hell. Even stores Target & Barnes & Noble sells sets that are D2C’s...just not this theme. 

If I weren’t such an impatient person while waiting for LEGO it wouldn’t bother me as much. But not having the opportunity to buy them in store is quite annoying. 

9 hours ago, Vindicare said:

If I weren’t such an impatient person while waiting for LEGO it wouldn’t bother me as much. But not having the opportunity to buy them in store is quite annoying. 

LEGO seems to have more and more "exclusives" to their own webshop only , it's even happening to common themes like City (60277,60305-60308) and Creator 3-in-1 (31120,31121,31122) , which is odd.

And even if some of those sets happen to make it to other retailers, it's usually a few dedicated LEGO websites, and there seems to be some set rule where they can't really discount them)

Edited by TeriXeri

On 10/26/2021 at 4:41 AM, a guy from somewhere said:

I'm still not sure this is the case across the board, at least not in the U.S. Took a trip to a Lego store in Northern Virginia yesterday and the sets were still there (a few of the older ones were clearanced but others still occupied prominent space on the shelves and center islands). It's entirely possible that at least in the U.S., these determinations about whether or not to stock them are being made on a store-by-store basis. Northern Virginia has a fairly substantial Asian-American population (as high as 17% of the overall population in some counties), which could be helping to make the sets better sellers at nearby stores than they are elsewhere in the country. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a similar situation in large cities like New York and San Francisco that have even larger Asian-American populations (not to say that it's ONLY Asian-Americans driving sales here, of course, but an existing familiarity with Chinese folklore probably doesn't hurt, especially since the Lego-produced story media only finally debuted in this country within the past month or so).

I personally haven't seen any of them near where I live (southern New England), so it probably is just down to which stores are interested in carrying them/which stores are selling a lot of them. I do find it odd that they were never in stores around me to begin with, though it is possible it was just a limited window and I missed them.

Some sort of...... evil (?) version of Monkey King minifigure leaked.

I think it's time for a 2022 thread