Robert8

LEGO Monkie Kid 2021

3 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

That has been my main thought process for most of the themes existence. Sadly When I reached the Lego store all they had were the flaming foundry and the cloud roadster, and all of the other sets where nowhere to be seen. There wasn’t a “monkie kid” section or anything, so I headed over to the Chinese New Year section and one of the display boxes listed sandys speed boat as “out of stock”. That why I think they are pulling the monkie kid sets over here in the UK. 

I just returned from the LEGO Store, and I ended up purchasing The Bone Demon. They still had a couple of the wave 1 and wave 2 sets, but they were few and far between. They were indeed put on a 30% off discount, but it is interesting to note that this discount was only temporary until August 30th.

But yeah, whatever that store had was just leftovers, and it wouldn't surprise me if after the current stock sells out, they wouldn't be receiving anymore new copies. 

So if anyone else has missed out on any if the wave 1 stuff, and your local LEGO Store still has any left, now is probably the time to get what you can. 

20210816_144629.jpg 

Lego parts I needed came in. So here's my Bone Demon slightly modified.

One word of caution. The Silver Spears for the Skeletons are very stiff. I actually broke the tip of one trying to get the Technic piece on. So I swapped out for older ones.

Not sure if it was just mine. But if yours is the same. Don't try to force it on. It will likely never come off if you get it on all the way.

7 hours ago, Takanuinuva said:

20210816_144629.jpg 

Lego parts I needed came in. So here's my Bone Demon slightly modified.

One word of caution. The Silver Spears for the Skeletons are very stiff. I actually broke the tip of one trying to get the Technic piece on. So I swapped out for older ones.

Not sure if it was just mine. But if yours is the same. Don't try to force it on. It will likely never come off if you get it on all the way.

What exact modifications did you make, if I may ask? Maybe I could try applying those modifications to mine as well.

Main mods were. Bulking up the swords. Making all the legs on the scorpion/bottom able to move, Bone Demon's Head is attached via mixel joint. And also changing the lower arm's slightly. 

Save for the swords and legs. The mods aren't that noticeable.

Monkie Kid's Mech uses the Nexo Knight cockpit piece. As I never liked the newer mech torsos cause of the gappy sides. 

On 8/9/2021 at 10:16 PM, DanieLewa said:

WHY IS MONKIE KID FAILING??????? 

Honestly, I already knew this line wasn't gonna last more than three years right from the moment it was announced. I think it's failure can be attributed to 4 main factors:

1. Inaccessibility 

I get that originally it wasn't even supposed to release in the West at all, but still, limiting it to LEGO.com and LEGO Stores only was a horrible choice. At the very least, they could have also made it available at a select number of retailers like Amazon, so that it is more accessible to casual LEGO buyers. I can understand not selling the larger sets in normal retail stores due to shelf space, but at the very least, couldn't they at least have made some of the smaller sets available in regular stores? 

2. Prices 

This one has been the most complained about, and honestly, not without good reason. The theme lacking any cheaper entry-level sets was a big issue, as the smaller sets were easily the most overpriced and uninteresting of the line. The greatest sets were always the largest ones, which, as you may guess, not everyone can afford. The fact that there were little to no discounts from those big prices didn't help, either. In my humble opinion, the 100$ price range should be reserved only for the biggest sets in any LEGO theme, but for some reason, they decided to make that price range be the middle one instead of the largest one.

3. Marketing 

In general, I can say that LEGO has done a pretty horrible job when it comes to the marketing of their recent original themes (Hidden Side included too). Monkie Kid was not even featured in any of the regular LEGO retail catalogs at all, and even the Shop at Home catalog only included like one of the sets. On top of that, the way the TV Series has been distributed has been highly questionable (this also applies to some of the recent Ninjago seasons too). The episodes would only air on obscure channels in Asian countries, and I bet most people who watched them probably did so only on YouTube. Come on, would it really have been so complicated to just simply put them on Netflix, where most people watch their TV Shows those days anyways?

4. Story 

Yet again, we come at the same mistake LEGO has constantly repeated and not learned from over the past decade. The Monkie Kid TV Series had a tone of potential with it's unique artstyle, but man, everything else felt so hollow and empty. Basically all that happens in the show is just a series of random, loosely connected adventures where Monkie Kid just runs around being stupid, with no real character for neither him nor the rest of the cast. Supposedly, they hired a professional Hollywood writer to do the job, but man, it doesn't show at all. I get a strong feeling the guy just wanted to make a quick buck, and had no real investment in the series he was writing. Don't get me wrong, if you have enjoyed the series as it is, I don't balme you, because admittedly, the animation is very energetic and unqiue, coming from the same team that did the Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles animation. But, the story and characters just weren't strong enough to get enough people invested in the series.

As it stands, we should at least be grateful that we got those amazing sets released in the West at all, given how originally they were supposed to be exclusive to China (we can thank the Chinese New Year sets for that). But it should come as no surprise that this line performed so poorly given all those factors. I predicted this right from when the line was announced, and I was right.

I have no idea whether those sets have been successful in China though, I guess only time will tell. Surely they sold marginally better there due to increased availability and more marketing in that area, but even with that, I highly doubt it was the smash success in the vein of Ninajgo that LEGO wanted. But again, I guess only time will tell. 

Edited by Lego David

Hey guys, just wanted to share my bone canid MOC that I've been working on whilst waiting for my bone demon to arrive. I took a bit of inspiration, especially the legs from the newly revealed Rise of the Domo Eternals set that was just revealed. I cant really get it to look any more skeletal, but i'm pretty pleased with how it came out, using purple, white and that large red eye that seems to be on the bone demons smaller parts in the official set. The curb can connect to the wave 1 shop builds as well, and I've planned it pretty much as a set, side build minifigs and all. I particularly like the trans blue tendrils that make up the "horns" of the beast, they look a lot like LBD's powers that are often used in the show. Thoughts and constructive criticism are welcomed!

8 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

Hey guys, just wanted to share my bone canid MOC that I've been working on whilst waiting for my bone demon to arrive. I took a bit of inspiration, especially the legs from the newly revealed Rise of the Domo Eternals set that was just revealed. I cant really get it to look any more skeletal, but i'm pretty pleased with how it came out, using purple, white and that large red eye that seems to be on the bone demons smaller parts in the official set. The curb can connect to the wave 1 shop builds as well, and I've planned it pretty much as a set, side build minifigs and all. I particularly like the trans blue tendrils that make up the "horns" of the beast, they look a lot like LBD's powers that are often used in the show. Thoughts and constructive criticism are welcomed!

That is very cool, nice MOC! I'd say it fists perfectly with the aesthetic of the Bone Demon!

On 8/21/2021 at 4:41 PM, a guy from somewhere said:

That's quite nice! I particularly like how "bony" the end of the stinger looks, narrowing to a nice point. The small feet and ribcage also look very effective. The torso looks slightly blocky where the shoulders attach, though—I wonder if you could use slopes or other detail elements of some sort (perhaps sticking out over the actual shoulder joints) to make that flat field of white a little less evident. It's a minor complaint but one of the few areas where I see room for improvement!

Take this with a grain of salt but based on a instagram leak apparently all MK sets will retire by the end of this year.

Just now, LOTR34 said:

Take this with a grain of salt but based on a instagram leak apparently all MK sets will retire by the end of this year.

If true does this mean that the theme was a failure? 

11 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

If true does this mean that the theme was a failure? 

If the names is lego_leakz then I think he just means all the sets that are shown on that post, mainly the first wave is retiring. Besides there’s still that Amazon tab that has monkie kid coming in October so I’d still say it’s got a chance.

4 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

If the names is lego_leakz then I think he just means all the sets that are shown on that post, mainly the first wave is retiring. Besides there’s still that Amazon tab that has monkie kid coming in October so I’d still say it’s got a chance.

In his post he said all of the sets, so I assume that includes this years sets as well.

1 hour ago, LOTR34 said:

In his post he said all of the sets, so I assume that includes this years sets as well.

I took it as he meant all the sets on that page, which is consistent with what I have seen from other news outlets such as brick fanatics, who stated that all the 2020 sets would be retiring apart from the monkie mech and cloud jet. If they are retiring everything then, that could mean that the Amazon listing may be a last ditch effort for the west on market. Come to think of it, if the sets are selling well in China but Lego are pulling them, that would make them regional exclusives? So the only other option means that the theme is selling poorly in the Asian market as well. Oh dear.:cry_sad:

one thing i think may be a factor in the retirement is the fact that, maybe 2 sets aside, ALL of the ones going on clearance use the translucent neon orange, a color which is going out of production. and even if the sets are leaving stores in the us entirely, its still selling like crazy in china. it may go online only, which i think is a huge mistake, but the line isn't likely being canned entirely. I'm cautiously optimistic about that amazon listing meaning the online release may be an indicator of the line getting a wider release, even if only online, and that the retirement is more due to the inability to continue producing those sets due to the color.

On 8/26/2021 at 8:53 PM, mrfang2 said:

ALL of the ones going on clearance use the translucent neon orange, a color which is going out of production.

...wait, they're getting rid of translucent neon orange?  Why?  I need an ocean of translucent neon orange parts for my minotaurs and Nexo builds!

Is there any evidence of this? Unless Lego is still making both Trans Orange and Trans Neon Orange. It seems odd to phase out a transparent color all together.

9 hours ago, Takanuinuva said:

Is there any evidence of this? Unless Lego is still making both Trans Orange and Trans Neon Orange. It seems odd to phase out a transparent color all together.

There was a whole discussion about it on the ninjago forum about it because the ninjago city gardens set swapped out the trans neon orange lanterns with the trans blue ones. It was apparently also seen in a design video that trans orange had a tag or something that meant it was being phased out. I cannot remember which one though

The above post is correct. And the only set with Trans Neon Orange this year was one of the Chinese New Year sets that released in January. Even the Bull Clone in the Red Son's Inferno Jet set from this March was given Trans Red eyes/head, rather than Trans Neon Orange eyes like last year's. So all in all rather than "going" out of production, it's more likely already out of production, with the sets available from last year being the last reliable source of it.

Trans neon orange was one of the big draws to return to LEGO for me with Nexo Knights, but still remains one of my favorite LEGO colors.

I wonder if it has anything to do with LEGO changing their transparent material, or just a cleanup of LEGO part catalog/moulds/colors due to material/logistics shortages in the world currently going on.

Edited by TeriXeri

Bit of a shame to lose trans neon orange altogether. That's gonna drive up prices on bricklink.

Though it seems we still have Trans Orange. As there was that color in Red Son's Inferno Jet. 

So at least some form of Trans Orange will remain. 

I know upthread there was talk that Monkie King is retired in Europe BUT I swung by my local Lego store and they had ZERO Monkie King on the shelves. I asked about it and they said it was retired in the US as well. I bought the items I wanted in this theme on the online store. Everything there is showing available but at this point it is just a matter of time so I would not wait too much longer or you will miss out.

Edited by karmajay

48 minutes ago, karmajay said:

I know upthread there was talk that Monkie King is retired in Europe BUT I swung by my local Lego store and they had ZERO Monkie King on the shelves. I asked about it and they said it was retired in the US as well. I bought the items I wanted in this theme on the online store. Everything there is showing available but at this point it is just a matter of time so I would not wait too much longer or you will miss out.

Wait so The LEGO employees actually said the theme was retired, or where they referring to the fact that MK sets where being pulled from physical retail stores?

Im pretty mad at the fact that MK may be available on amazon, im sitting on a ton of gift cards and this would be a great opportunity. I guess this is how it feels for the people across the pond when lego revealed its colour changed sets, but at least you can still order them though ZAVVI

Either way this isn't looking good for me. My budget isn't looking great lego-wise and there's still so many sets to pick up. I still need to get the stranger things set before that heads off as well, and my list currently reads: noodle truck, white dragon horse bike, cloud bike, dronecopter, white dragon horse jet and flower fruit mountain! Why is this such a good theme? 

whishlisting aside, does anyone know anywhere where people sell separate parts of monkie kid sets? Ebay sellers or bricklink shops or anything like that. I'd like to get some more of the wave 1 buildings and I also really want to get those containers from the dronecopter, however the main build doesn't interest me as much as I thought it would. 

12 hours ago, karmajay said:

They said it was retired - maybe they meant retired from brick and mortar stores?

So, that means China only will still be getting an additional final wave next year, or the current wave is the last the theme will ever get?