Robert8

LEGO Monkie Kid 2021

On 8/29/2021 at 11:49 PM, Takanuinuva said:

Bit of a shame to lose trans neon orange altogether. That's gonna drive up prices on bricklink.

Though it seems we still have Trans Orange. As there was that color in Red Son's Inferno Jet. 

So at least some form of Trans Orange will remain. 

Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but my suspicion about Trans Neon Orange is that unlike the regular opaque colors, the transparent parts cannot use the newer color injection on the factory floor and probably need to still be made from pre colored pellets. Which limits how many colors they can have active at once. As it depends on silo space. 

So Lego have just revealed that the sets are coming to Amazon, along with the show. Super hyped but unfortunately from the press release it seems that the sets will be a damn North American exclusive! I know some people where mad about the colour swapped sets being uk exclusive but at least you could get some through zavi! I urge anyone from the US or Canada to pick up the Amazon sets, especially as Amazon will probably be discounting the larger ones. And luckily, large sets is monkie kids speciality! 

3 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

So Lego have just revealed that the sets are coming to Amazon, along with the show. Super hyped but unfortunately from the press release it seems that the sets will be a damn North American exclusive! I know some people where mad about the colour swapped sets being uk exclusive but at least you could get some through zavi! I urge anyone from the US or Canada to pick up the Amazon sets, especially as Amazon will probably be discounting the larger ones. And luckily, large sets is monkie kids speciality! 

What colour swapped sets are these?

So any news whether there will actually be new sets or not? I saw the press release that said there would be new sets, but then read elsewhere that the release might just be referring to Amazon putting up the existing sets for sale on its website... The latter seems unlikely if the sets did well in Asia and they're talking about a multi-year deal but just wanted to confirm... for my own anxiety. :grin:

14 hours ago, Garmetrowolf said:

So any news whether there will actually be new sets or not? I saw the press release that said there would be new sets, but then read elsewhere that the release might just be referring to Amazon putting up the existing sets for sale on its website... The latter seems unlikely if the sets did well in Asia and they're talking about a multi-year deal but just wanted to confirm... for my own anxiety. :grin:

Monkie kid sells VERY well in China. Even if for whatever reason they decide to stop releasing it in the us even after finally getting a streaming release, they are highly unlikely to fully stop making the show or line any time soon

also, I found the mk and red son keychains at my lego store, so the rumor of no more monkie kid products coming to the lego stores seems to be disproved. I highly doubt they’d be releasing tie in products for a line they aren’t gonna carry anymore.

Edited by mrfang2

1 hour ago, mrfang2 said:

Monkie kid sells VERY well in China. Even if for whatever reason they decide to stop releasing it in the us even after finally getting a streaming release, they are highly unlikely to fully stop making the show or line any time soon

also, I found the mk and red son keychains at my lego store, so the rumor of no more monkie kid products coming to the lego stores seems to be disproved. I highly doubt they’d be releasing tie in products for a line they aren’t gonna carry anymore.

That's good to hear. I really love this theme and hope it keeps continuing! 

3 hours ago, mrfang2 said:

I think the main concern is that they might stop releasing outside of China, even If Lego did promise no more regional exclusive sets. That said I'm not sure there's a whole lot of evidence of that happening for now at least, and I expect the sets also being Amazon will increase sales a good bit since they'll be both more accessible and probably at least a bit discounted.

18 hours ago, mrfang2 said:

Monkie kid sells VERY well in China.

Ok, but if you don't mind me asking, what exact evidence do we have for that? Not a whole lot of people from this forum are from China as far as I am aware, so we don't have any direct witnesses to ask. We haven't received any official facts from the LEGO Group's annual financial report about it either, so we don't have a whole lot of info to go off of about the theme's success in its target market, like we would have for any other regular released worldwide theme. 

Just now, Lego David said:

Ok, but if you don't mind me asking, what exact evidence do we have for that? Not a whole lot of people from this forum are from China as far as I am aware, so we don't have any direct witnesses to ask. We haven't received any official facts from the LEGO Group's annual financial report about it either, so we don't have a whole lot of info to go off of about the theme's success in its target market, like we would have for any other regular released worldwide theme. 

The press release spoke of how it did well in china, the exact quote being: "After hugely successful reception in Asia, the hit animated series inspired by a Chinese legend swings onto screens and into new LEGO sets to entertain new audiences". The press release is here: 

https://www.lego.com/en-us/aboutus/news/2021/september/lego-monkie-kid-on-amazon-kids

5 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

After hugely successful reception in Asia, the hit animated series inspired by a Chinese legend swings onto screens and into new LEGO sets to entertain new audiences". The press release is here: 

Ok, but that talks about the TV Show specifically. We don't know if the actual sets sold well or not. You can have a pretty successful TV Show, but that won't guarantee the sets will also fly off the shelves.

3 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

So apparently Mathew Ashton (a Lego designer I think) the monkie kid line will continue into 2023, which is great news! 

Yeah, this is great news! So we've still got not just one but at least two more years of the theme in store for the future—I think that should be evidence enough that the theme has sold well enough to be considered a success by Lego. I hope that the wider release of the TV series only buoys that, giving the theme a long overdue "second wind" in the west!

Has anyone in the UK managed to watch the show on Amazon yet? That press release talked about September 9th, but when I look at the show as listed on Amazon, it’s listed as “not available in your region at this time”…

glad to be seemingly proven right! Given 1 season and 1 special per year, with 1 full wave and 1 smaller wave to coincide with each seems to be the norm for this line, this should give us a good few more sets. Will be interested to see how us distribution turns out. If the show and sets do well enough on Amazon I can honestly see these starting to go to more stores.

3 hours ago, scottypavarotti said:

Has anyone in the UK managed to watch the show on Amazon yet? That press release talked about September 9th, but when I look at the show as listed on Amazon, it’s listed as “not available in your region at this time”…

Are you looking on regular Amazon Prime? Unfortunately (and somewhat confusingly), the show is starting out exclusive to their "Amazon Kids+" streaming service for kids shows, which is a separate streaming app for kids with its own separate payment plan (Prime customers get a discount but still have to pay for it on top of their Prime subscription). It's supposedly going to be available on standard Amazon Prime at a later date (possibly alongside the release of the sets on Amazon).

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

Are you looking on regular Amazon Prime? Unfortunately (and somewhat confusingly), the show is starting out exclusive to their "Amazon Kids+" streaming service for kids shows, which is a separate streaming app for kids with its own separate payment plan (Prime customers get a discount but still have to pay for it on top of their Prime subscription). It's supposedly going to be available on standard Amazon Prime at a later date (possibly alongside the release of the sets on Amazon).

The current rumor for the regular prime release is October, so presumably it’ll be the same day the sets drop

4 hours ago, mrfang2 said:

The current rumor for the regular prime release is October, so presumably it’ll be the same day the sets drop

Ah! Ok, that makes sense, although is frustrating. I was indeed looking for it via Prime. Thanks, that wasn’t clear, at least to me. I’ve never even heard of Amazon Kids+ as a separate thing.

54 minutes ago, scottypavarotti said:

Ah! Ok, that makes sense, although is frustrating. I was indeed looking for it via Prime. Thanks, that wasn’t clear, at least to me. I’ve never even heard of Amazon Kids+ as a separate thing.

Me either, honestly feels like a mistake to put it there since they don’t seem to advertise anything for it, but as long as it keeps whatever’s being produced for the line in China coming to the states, I’ll put up with it. 

3 hours ago, mrfang2 said:

Me either, honestly feels like a mistake to put it there since they don’t seem to advertise anything for it, but as long as it keeps whatever’s being produced for the line in China coming to the states, I’ll put up with it. 

Yup, I'll keep buying the sets, even if the only way to get them here in the UK is from the LEGO website.  It's a great line.

Just another data point, but I saw loads of Monkie Kid sets discounted at a local LEGO Store (Boston South Shore) yesterday. They had a table full of them, with a few Brick Sketches too. The only other sets I've seen on sale before like  this recently are Hidden Side and Chinese New Year ones. I do hope that the Amazon tie in starts to broaden the awareness of these sets. Or it could just be this one store that ordered too many.

1 hour ago, RichardGoring said:

Just another data point, but I saw loads of Monkie Kid sets discounted at a local LEGO Store (Boston South Shore) yesterday. They had a table full of them, with a few Brick Sketches too. The only other sets I've seen on sale before like  this recently are Hidden Side and Chinese New Year ones. I do hope that the Amazon tie in starts to broaden the awareness of these sets. Or it could just be this one store that ordered too many.

A lot are on sale, but if you look at them (atleast if it’s anything like my local store) it’s wave 1 and and 2, sets that all (with maybe 1 exception in the speed boat) use translucent neon orange, a color lego doesn’t make anymore.

2 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

Where did you see Chinese New Year sets on clearance, ever? I’ve regularly had a near impossible time trying to get those for a good price. It sounds like that store might be an outlier.

2 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

Where did you see Chinese New Year sets on clearance, ever? I’ve regularly had a near impossible time trying to get those for a good price. It sounds like that store might be an outlier.

Boston North Shore. Yes, could well be. This is the problem with only a single data point!

On 9/13/2021 at 8:35 AM, Fenghuang0296 said:

A few certain specific Lego stores are used to clearance out “Damaged Box” merchandise. (One of them is the Sugarloaf store near Atlanta). I managed to score a Damaged Box Spring Lantern Festival set at a decent discount. Damage Box stuff is normally 20-30% discount I think.