Robert8

LEGO Monkie Kid 2021

Just now, mrfang2 said:

The mech mo used in the show is a smaller version of sandys mech here [...]

Awesome thanks!

LOVING these new sets. Now that we have official pics there's so many more details we can make out. I love the way the Bone Demon mech can separate into lots of components, and MK gets not one, not two, but THREE staff builds in this set (his normal staff, a slightly upscaled one that ingeniously uses candle pieces, and an even bigger one for the mech). The kitchen in the "bowl" of Pigsy's mech is wonderfully full-featured, and it looks like the rake in front of the treads moves up and down as it rolls. Sandy's mech has less in the way of surprises but a mech like this scaled to a bigfig is enough of a novelty, it does look plenty solid with some decent features like the spinning claw and punching fist.

I love the figures we're getting too. In addition to the new figures of Pan, Lady Bone Demon, and her minions, Pigsy, Tang, MK, Mo, and even incidental character Lee all get new prints. I'm fine with the repeat of Mei (since this is only her second appearance this year with her new helmet), but I do wish that Syntax and Huntsman (in their third and fourth appearances, respectively) had been swapped for Spider Queen's bigfig minion (who unfortunately is looking like a show-only character). Bigfig vs. bigfig sets are always cool.

Edited by Lyichir

34 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

I love the figures we're getting too. In addition to the new figures of Pan, Lady Bone Demon, and her minions, Pigsy, Tang, MK, Mo, and even incidental character Lee all get new prints. I'm fine with the repeat of Mei (since this is only her second appearance this year with her new helmet), but I do wish that Syntax and Huntsman (in their third and fourth appearances, respectively) had been swapped for Spider Queen's bigfig minion (who unfortunately is looking like a show-only character). Bigfig vs. bigfig sets are always cool.

+1 Lego deserves credit for more sets that don't include MK himself - If cutting out MK is a way to save some $ on that price tag or get more new charactesr, sign me up! There are plenty of ways to get him already.

1 hour ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

Oh wow. Lady Bone Demon’s Mech is a combiner? It’s literally an evil Megazord? That is so cool I have to get it now! 

Now that you say that, I didn't think of it that way but yeah.  

I really like this theme.  Fruit flower Mountain was great.  Now this mech looks awesome too.  And the figs are all really good.  Don't know if I'll get the whole wave as I have some Harry Potter, Ninjago, Creator and Marvel sets to get.  

37 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

Now that you say that, I didn't think of it that way but yeah.  

I really like this theme.  Fruit flower Mountain was great.  Now this mech looks awesome too.  And the figs are all really good.  Don't know if I'll get the whole wave as I have some Harry Potter, Ninjago, Creator and Marvel sets to get.  

Yep. It even has five components; the two spiders, the scorpion, the throne, and the helmet that otherwise attaches to the arch. I’ll probably modify the helmet a bit to make it be able to do something on its own, like a glider or something - I’m fine with the throne/torso section being static, but as a long-term Sentai fan I want each of the mecha to do something.

Honesly I’ll probably pass on the other two sets, they just don’t do anything much for me. (Even though Sandy’s Mech is very cool.) But an evil LEGO Megazord is way too cool to miss.

2 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

Oh wow. Lady Bone Demon’s Mech is a combiner? It’s literally an evil Megazord? That is so cool I have to get it now! 

Where did you see that?

1 minute ago, Takanuinuva said:

Where did you see that?

The Brothers Brick has a picture of it all split up. So does Ashnflash’s video, which I just watched and noticed some new details as I did; MK and Mo both have new, exclusive prints. MK’s gotten his third new torso design which for now is exclusive to the Bone Mech, and Mo has a new print with sunglasses and a pouch around his neck. That’s . . surprising? I don’t really see the need for a third version of MK’s jacket, especially since in the show it’s just been the same jacket the whole time whose design never changes. Feels like a waste of the print budget to me, would much prefer the ‘child’ version of Lady Bone Demon. 

Found it listed on lego.com.

150 is a bit much for 1375 pieces. But still going to get it.

Lady Bone Demon might look good paired with Skull Sorceror

Great sets!

Of course no day 1 purchases, but I`ll wait till I get at least double VIP points. Then I`ll get the "Megazord" and maybe the pigsy noodle cup tank. :)

Do wish the little gateway that the helmet is on was part of the mech. But I can probably find somewhere to attach it.

Edited by Takanuinuva

I have a bit of a dilemma, I was wondering if anyone here owned the ninjago hydro bounty and the monkie kid secret HQ set. I have the opportunity to get one, but I’m not sure which. I do not own any monkie kid sets, however I plan to pick up most of the ninjago sea bound wave. If anyone has both of these sets, which would you pick? I’m leaning a bit more to the HQ however as I plan to pick up most of seabound, and the bounty is an amazing set anyways, it’s very tricky. Considering that the MK set could retire later this year as well, I am well and truly stuck. I will also ask this question in the Ninjago thread as well as it gears towards both themes. 

3 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

I have a bit of a dilemma, I was wondering if anyone here owned the ninjago hydro bounty and the monkie kid secret HQ set. I have the opportunity to get one, but I’m not sure which. I do not own any monkie kid sets, however I plan to pick up most of the ninjago sea bound wave. If anyone has both of these sets, which would you pick? I’m leaning a bit more to the HQ however as I plan to pick up most of seabound, and the bounty is an amazing set anyways, it’s very tricky. Considering that the MK set could retire later this year as well, I am well and truly stuck. I will also ask this question in the Ninjago thread as well as it gears towards both themes. 

Hm... that's a bit of a toughie! I'm a sucker for cool boat sets, and that includes submarines.

The Ocean HQ isn't the worst set to get a feel for the Monkie Kid theme. It has all of the main hero team except Mr. Tang, and is a pretty great mobile base. That said, if you were planning to get more into the theme, there might be better options. While the main ship build is certainly great, most of the individual characters in the set have more impressive personal vehicles in other sets. And the villain selection isn't really the best the theme has to offer—just Bull Clones and General Ironclad (a higher-ranking Bull Clone with differently colored arms and a cool cape). Other sets in the theme have more impressive (and in some cases, exclusive) foes and more dynamic personal vehicles for them or the heroes. But if the ship itself is your main focus, there's not a lot else quite like it in the theme or out of it! It's huge, with a massive interior that can fit not only the normal minifigures but also the small mech it comes with, two small boats, and the Sandy bigfig (who can occupy either the engine room, the hammock in the lounge area, or the crow's nest).

I don't have the Hydro Bounty yet but it seems pretty impressive. Like the Ocean HQ, it has most of the main cast of its respective wave, but unlike the Ocean HQ, one of those (Nya in her diving gear) is unique to that set and unlikely to reappear in that particular outfit. The Wu-bots are also exclusive to that set. The build itself is quite unique with several great features like the mech and the mini-sub bays. And aesthetically, it's very unlike most other Ninjago sets, past or present, with a really classy Art Deco sort of look. But as you mention, it is less likely to retire within the year than the Ocean HQ. It'll probably remain available well into next year. So if you think you'll have another opportunity to get a set that size, you might be able to get both if you opt to get the older one first.

So... Where/how are people watching season 2 of Monkie Kid? Can't find it on the obvious streaming platforms

18 minutes ago, Killian said:

So... Where/how are people watching season 2 of Monkie Kid? Can't find it on the obvious streaming platforms

I’ve got it on 9Now. You need an account but it’s free and pretty reputable.

14 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

I don't have neither HQ or Hydro Bounty, but I'd pick HQ. I mean, the build is much better then Bounty, has awesome interior and wonderful minifigures. While in Hydro Bounty there's no interior, only two good minifigures (Nya and Zane) and it's overpriced! The choice is yours.

I can't wait until we start getting reviews of this new wave of sets... I've built all three on Stud.io from the pics and have them mostly complete (from the exterior at least), but as is to be expected there's some interior details that I can't quite decipher (most notably, none of the pics show the "crypt" of the Bone Demon set removed from the torso section, so I'm not entirely sure how it attaches or what's behind it). And the longer I pore over the limited pics and videos we have of the sets to try to get a glimpse of the parts I'm unsure of, the crazier I'll feel!

Some fun details I HAVE noticed through building the sets include the Bone Demon mech having waist rotation (the upper torso attaches to the scorpion tail with a ball joint that is built tightly so as not to bend but able to rotate freely), the same set including an equal number of left and right corner-cut 1x2 bows in Glow White (notable because the build is ever so slightly asymmetrical but uses two of the left ones in one spot to compensate for the two right ones elsewhere), and that set including the parts to build two normal skeletons in addition to the other figs (the torsos and arms are in the gate build while the legs and skulls are in the cauldrons).

I am still a wee bit curious whether these three sets are the last ones we'll see this year. There are two set numbers that have been "skipped" in the release order, and the slightly earlier release date of these sets could potentially allow for another small release. I'd love if one or both of those potential sets included some of the characters who haven't appeared in sets this year, either newer characters like Strong Spider or ones from last year like Princess Iron Fan or Yin and Jin. Of course, those two set numbers could also just be sets cancelled altogether during development, or they could be something totally atypical for the theme (for instance, perhaps a buildable Monkey King figure like the buildable Harry and Hermione in the Harry Potter theme).

5 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I am still a wee bit curious whether these three sets are the last ones we'll see this year. There are two set numbers that have been "skipped" in the release order, and the slightly earlier release date of these sets could potentially allow for another small release. I'd love if one or both of those potential sets included some of the characters who haven't appeared in sets this year, either newer characters like Strong Spider or ones from last year like Princess Iron Fan or Yin and Jin. Of course, those two set numbers could also just be sets cancelled altogether during development, or they could be something totally atypical for the theme (for instance, perhaps a buildable Monkey King figure like the buildable Harry and Hermione in the Harry Potter theme).

I was kind of just assuming that there wouldn't be any more sets after this summer wave since we also had a second wave of only three sets last year, but I didn't realize there were two as of yet unused numbers. I feel like it would be weird to do a third wave when this current one had so few sets anyway, but Lego does often operate in strange ways. If they do end up being used I agree that the most likely result will be some kind of weird set unlike the rest of the line.

I am gonna be honest, I am too thrilled by this wave. The Bone Mech looks awesome, but the other two feel like re-trends of previous sets we got in other themes. Pigsy's Tank design looks like almost a copy-paste of the of the Ninjago Destructoid (which is in my opinion of the weirdest Ninjago sets ever) and Sandy's Mech looks like it was designed purely in order to fit a Big Fig in it, and no other thought was put into it. I am gonna be honest, I far prefer the Mechs we got in Chima over this Sandy one we have now. 

This wave feels like another quickly thrown together summer addition to the winter wave, akin the what we got last year. Besides one good set, I can't call it very good. 

This makes me wonder how much more this line is going to last. Is it going to abruptly end next year with yet another quickly thrown together inconclusive ending akin to Nexo Knights? As far as I am aware, this line hasn't sold well enough to get a better treatment than that. 

Edited by Lego David

8 hours ago, Lego David said:

I am gonna be honest, I am too thrilled by this wave. The Bone Mech looks awesome, but the other two feel like re-trends of previous sets we got in other themes. Pigsy's Tank design looks like almost a copy-paste of the of the Ninjago Destructoid (which is in my opinion of the weirdest Ninjago sets ever) and Sandy's Mech looks like it was designed purely in order to fit a Big Fig in it, and no other thought was put into it. I am gonna be honest, I far prefer the Mechs we got in Chima over this Sandy one we have now. 

This wave feels like another quickly thrown together summer addition to the winter wave, akin the what we got last year. Besides one good set, I can't call it very good. 

This makes me wonder how much more this line is going to last. Is it going to abruptly end next year with yet another quickly thrown together inconclusive ending akin to Nexo Knights? As far as I am aware, this line hasn't sold well enough to get a better treatment than that. 

The comparisons to Destructoid befuddle me a little because while structurally it and the new Noodle Tank are sort of similar, thematically I feel like this new set has a ton more going for it. To be honest before people started bringing it up in reference to this set, I almost forgot Destructoid existed, in part because it offered very little that the other sets in the Rebooted wave didn't—it was just a weird mech tank thing, nowhere near as interesting to me as, say, the Nindroid MechDragon that combined the classic Ninjago dragon motif with the robotic theme of the Nindroids. By contrast, I LOVE this new Monkie Kid set, with its overall culinary theming. The full-featured kitchen in the noodle bowl-shaped cockpit, the noodle launcher in the fridge, and the giant chopsticks that the mech can hold all amuse me greatly. And I love the conflict the set presents of Pigsy's homemade cooking and in-person delivery versus the Speedy Panda store's pre-packaged fast food and delivery robots. All in all I'm easily as excited for this set as I am for the Bone Demon.

I do agree that Sandy's mech isn't the most exciting set by comparison. But it is, after his speedboat last year, only the second set really themed entirely around Sandy, and I do like the features like the punching fist and the claw that spins a large version of his crescent staff. And the overall design, which feels heavy and industrial, reminds me a little of themes like Exo-Force. As I'd mentioned before, I think what would've elevated this set from good to great would be if instead of Huntsman and Syntax in a piddly little mech, Sandy's mech had been paired with Strong Spider from the animated series—a bigfig foe with big spider legs would've felt like a much more even match for a bigfig-scaled mech like this, I feel.

Honestly, if strong spider was piloting the mech instead of Sandy I think it would have sold a lot better. An exclusive big fig, plus Mei and MK would have sold this set I think, although personally I prefer the Sandy mech.