Robert8

LEGO Monkie Kid 2021

On 3/2/2021 at 7:30 PM, Lyichir said:

Sorry. Looking back on my comment, it does come across as rude, and making a mountain out of a molehill to some extent. I was having a bit of a rough day (though to be honest with times being what they are that's more the norm than not these days), and I shouldn't have been as dismissive as I was over a mere difference of opinion.

No worries, just taken aback a little. Sorry to hear my flippant assumption was correct, and yeah I think everyone’s tolerance threshold is much lower these days so apology really not necessary.

On reflection, I’m slowly coming to terms with the fact that MK is priced as a licensed theme like SW. Which is fair enough if that’s how LEGO want to position it, but in that case, the retail exclusivity still annoys me on principle.

To anyone who already has the set, have you used the waterfall stickers or left it au naturel as I saw in one review?

19 hours ago, zoth33 said:

How is a 1,949 piece set at $170 overpriced? I'm just curious on your rationale.  Seems quite fair to me especially with all the figs and printed legs, new tail pieces.  How much do you think it should cost?  Things are always going to go up in price.  Lego has always been an expensive hobby.  I don't agree with the statement that the vast majority would wait for a sale.  There aren't many sales on lego here in the states not like it used to be.  Look at the Raya the last dragon sets those are overpriced.  

Part counts are not always a good parameter to use.

Not sure the actual variety of figs is especially great, although we all love monkeys.

As for sales, here in Europe there’s usually a fair few to be had on selected themes and sets, usually between 15-25%.

MK is not licensed from an external party, whereas in your example, there’s a big fat Disney fee to incorporate.

Edited by Lucarex

1 hour ago, Lucarex said:

No worries, just taken aback a little. Sorry to hear my flippant assumption was correct, and yeah I think everyone’s tolerance threshold is much lower these days so apology really not necessary.

On reflection, I’m slowly coming to terms with the fact that MK is priced as a licensed theme like SW. Which is fair enough if that’s how LEGO want to position it, but in that case, the retail exclusivity still annoys me on principle.

To anyone who already has the set, have you used the waterfall stickers or left it au naturel as I saw in one review?

Part counts are not always a good parameter to use.

Not sure the actual variety of figs is especially great, although we all love monkeys.

As for sales, here in Europe there’s usually a fair few to be had on selected themes and sets, usually between 15-25%.

MK is not licensed from an external party, whereas in your example, there’s a big fat Disney fee to incorporate.

I know Disney has the licencing fee.  I was using it as an example of a way overpriced set.  

So if your not going by parts count what are you measuring it on?

I personally look at part count, types of parts in the set, minifigs, playability.  

4 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

I know Disney has the licencing fee.  I was using it as an example of a way overpriced set.  

So if your not going by parts count what are you measuring it on?

I personally look at part count, types of parts in the set, minifigs, playability.  

I'm gonna jump in and give my answer, I usually go by Jangs idea of just "mass of stuff" idea. It can be hard trying to figure it out, but I'm fairly sure the price for flower fruit mountain is pretty much worth it, considering the fact that its mainly exclusive figs as well, and the sheer size of it. I just think the price can be quite daunting, especially to fans of ninjago that barley see sets in that theme go over £150.

With the latest Monkie Kid TV special, we've gotten our first look at what will likely be the "big bad" villain set for either summer 2021 or Winter 2022; a mech for the White Bone Spirit. It's very stylized so it's pretty hard to make out the details, but I'm guessing it'll be a $120-$150 set to scale with the MK Warrior Mech.

ScH7f9U.png

It also gives us our first look at the true form of the demoness herself, presuming we won't get the possessed civilian form in the summer:

bV54BVg.png

That's looks intimidating as heck! And you can feel the pure evil from the demoness too. I'm definitely looking forward to checking the set out should it become one.

Despite being quite stylized, I'm kinda curious on what would constitute the legs. As based on what I could make out with, it's seems that lower parts are very skirt-like, possibly all the way down like a dress. If that's the case, it'll be very interesting to see how that's going to translate into the set.

Edited by JJ Tong (zfogshooterz)

After a trip to the Lego store, I built the Dronecopter yesterday! I had already built it on Stud.io so the techniques and build didn’t surprise me much but various aspects related to the “feel” of it in-hand did.

It’s REALLY big, roughly the same “area” as a 48x48 baseplate. Heavy, too—with two containers attached you can lift it with one hand by the handle, but swooshing it around too much could tire you out pretty quickly. I like the “springiness” of the trigger pull. I also appreciate how the curved slopes locking the sides of the body together help to center the containers when they’re clipped to the sides.

One of the biggest and most charming surprises for me, though, actually has to do with Mo’s little cat carrier. Not only is it a snug enough fit that Mo doesn’t tip or flip over even when you tip or flip the carrier, but he’s sized just right so that tipping the crate forward slides him to the front and pokes his little nose right between the bars! Awww!!!

On 3/3/2021 at 3:51 PM, thekeeperofthereaper said:

i even love how the 3 instruction books came in a cardboard sleeve

Other brick companies have been doing that for nearly a decade. Same with random baseplates in a set, in cardboard. Nice to see LEGO finally do the same.

i just built the arachnoid base and all i can say is wow that set is bigger than i thought and the play features are fun and appealing too , the jail cell can even fit 2 people

honestly the set is slowly creeping into my personal favourites i just really love it

I’ve been loving the sets so far, still have to build the horse jet and the lion, but the rest have really been great. Seems like maybe a bit early to start speculation on the next wave, but I do feel safe to say

-that bone mech will come either next wave or as part of next years sets depending on how the show goes (the head writer has hinted at a cliffhanger ending in an interview so I wouldn’t be surprised if that vision is the seasons end.)

-as spider queen is still the main threat, I would assume we will get her missing henchman (the big fig) as well as hopefully huntsman in his spider-legs form.

-it would not surprise me to get an expansion to the mountain, as the technic holes behind the waterfall line up with where sun wukong’s house is in the toon. 

-the cauldron seems important to the season and will likely appear in a set as it seems to be integral to the bone spirit’s plot

-would expect atleast one set based around heaven as that location has been fairly well fleshed out design wise.

9 hours ago, mrfang2 said:

I’ve been loving the sets so far, still have to build the horse jet and the lion, but the rest have really been great. Seems like maybe a bit early to start speculation on the next wave, but I do feel safe to say

-that bone mech will come either next wave or as part of next years sets depending on how the show goes (the head writer has hinted at a cliffhanger ending in an interview so I wouldn’t be surprised if that vision is the seasons end.)

-as spider queen is still the main threat, I would assume we will get her missing henchman (the big fig) as well as hopefully huntsman in his spider-legs form.

-it would not surprise me to get an expansion to the mountain, as the technic holes behind the waterfall line up with where sun wukong’s house is in the toon. 

-the cauldron seems important to the season and will likely appear in a set as it seems to be integral to the bone spirit’s plot

-would expect atleast one set based around heaven as that location has been fairly well fleshed out design wise.

I would not necessarily expect an expansion to the Flower Fruit Mountain set (though I'd definitely appreciate one if there was one). The Technic holes on the rear side of the mountain seem to be more of a result of how the base is constructed to be sturdy and solid than necessarily being intended for another set to connect to. A connection to the rear would also be a little odd, display-wise—currently, the set has a largely horizontal structure that is great for display on a shelf, and attaching something to the rear would really only seem to make it more complicated to display.

The White Bone Spirit could possibly make an appearance at the end of this year but I feel like it's possibly more likely that she might be the main antagonist of the third year of sets. If anything, I might expect her to appear as a figure in one of the summer sets in a reduced role to foreshadow a larger presence in the third year, sort of like how the Spider Queen debuted as a minor antagonist in one of the second wave sets last year.

Speaking of the summer sets, I do hope for more spider-y goodness in the summer wave, including that bigfig villain, but I also wouldn't mind at least one or two sets that branch out from the main antagonists like we got in last year's second wave. Would be great to get another set with characters like Princess Iron Fan or the Gold and Silver Horned Demons, as well as potentially introducing other antagonists who haven't even shown up yet. I'm less worried about getting Huntsman with his spider legs, to be honest, not because it wouldn't be cool (and potentially likely), but because adding spider legs to the villains is frankly pretty easy—you can easily mod one of the spider-drones from the existing sets to use in place of Huntsman's legs to achieve a similar effect.

In the long term (including both the next wave and beyond), I also hope Tang appears in more sets, not only because he deserves to be more widely available (and I'd love to get a wider variety of faces for him considering how great his faces can be in the show), but also because his appearance so far comes with a printed copy of Journey to the West! Since both the cover and interior page (featuring a spider demon) are printed, it would be great if future sets came with the same book cover but also new printed pages depicting other characters or stories, sort of like how the Book of Dragons in the 2016 Elves sets came with a different printed page in each of its three appearances, or how the Nexo Knights sets from that same year featured a different monster in each of the various evil books.

Built flower fruit mountain and what a great set.  I love the structure itself and all the rock work is done really nicely.  The waterfall is nice and I like that is separates.  I think I'm going to add some more leaf pieces and flowers around the build. The minifigs are great and looks pretty good with all my Monkey King CMF's on it too.  I also ordered some extra Monkey king head pieces and Macaque head pieces for custom figs.  I really hope they do more builds like this it was fun to build and just looks awesome on display.  

Not sure if this is the right thread for this or not but does anyone have any info or educated guesses on when the first wave of Monkie Kid sets will retire? I've been waiting to pick up the big mech and the team hq but am I risking it or will there be a heads up before the dreaded "Sold Out" appears?

4 hours ago, BrickedInNY said:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this or not but does anyone have any info or educated guesses on when the first wave of Monkie Kid sets will retire? I've been waiting to pick up the big mech and the team hq but am I risking it or will there be a heads up before the dreaded "Sold Out" appears?

I would guess you comfortably have until the end of the year, at the earliest. They haven’t been out quite a year yet(May). It seems most themes get a year & a half to two year shelf life. This being exclusive to S@H may play differently though. 

A lot of the first wave was out of stock for quite some time, but are all in stock now. Warrior Mech was out for months late last year & finally came back in stock in January. I kept my eye on it & swooped on it as soon as it came in stock. It’s a fantastic set for sure. 

Edited by Vindicare

12 hours ago, BrickedInNY said:

At this point, I feel like it could go either way. The year one sets could stick around until the end of the year like your typical theme, and maybe even get a belated wider retail release, or they could disappear suddenly and unexpectedly without any sort of discount (and good luck finding them after they're retired in that case, since without a wider retail release they're probably less likely to be plentiful or cheap on the aftermarket). As a Lego-exclusive theme so far, in a year when stock levels have fluctuated unpredictably due to the pandemic, there's very little that can be taken for granted.

If I were you I would try to get the sets I wanted sooner, rather than later. But then again, I'm a pretty huge fan of the theme who has largely gotten most of the sets I've been interested in. If you're only casually interested in a few of the sets you might decide you can risk putting it off longer, and it might even pay off for you if the sets end up getting a wider retail release (with the greater potential for discounts that could ensue in those circumstances). But be aware that the risk is there that they might not wait around for you.

Thank you for the responses! This first wave seems too fun to chance it, so I'll start collecting them ASAP so that I don't have to rely on the secondary market!

Are there any rumored summer sets coming out? I didn't see anything when reading the forum. Hoping for more of these sets.

5 minutes ago, Garmetrowolf said:

Are there any rumored summer sets coming out? I didn't see anything when reading the forum. Hoping for more of these sets.

We don’t have any rumoured set lists or leaked names or anything, but we know the show’s continuing, and the summer wave’s likely to be an August release. We haven’t heard anything about any August releases in any theme to my knowledge. It’s way too early to say the theme’s cancelled though. 

4 minutes ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

We don’t have any rumoured set lists or leaked names or anything, but we know the show’s continuing, and the summer wave’s likely to be an August release. We haven’t heard anything about any August releases in any theme to my knowledge. It’s way too early to say the theme’s cancelled though. 

Thanks! I really like this theme and hope it continues for as long as possible

12 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

In addition to this, as long as the theme remains exclusive to Lego brand retail stores and Lego.com in much of the world, we're less likely to see leaks for Monkie Kid—which doesn't mean they can't or won't happen for certain, just that it's a lot easier for Lego to keep future sets under wraps than it is for other themes. As such, it's harder to "rely" on leaks as a gauge for what future sets are in store and when they're likely to debut.

I wanted to buy the Iron Bull Tank set (currently on a 20% discount at my current LEGO store) because its the cheapest way to get the Sandy Bigfig, but apparently a local seller is selling it individually for just 12$. Do you guys think I should buy the full set for 40$ or just the purchase the Sandy Bigfg individually?

Just now, Lego David said:

I wanted to buy the Iron Bull Tank set (currently on a 20% discount at my current LEGO store) because its the cheapest way to get the Sandy Bigfig, but apparently a local seller is selling it individually for just 12$. Do you guys think I should buy the full set for 40$ or just the purchase the Sandy Bigfg individually?

id say go for the full set, but im not sure with the Romanian currency. I just like the set generally, so it could be down to personal preference. 

7 hours ago, Lego David said:

If you had any inclination to collect more of the theme, I might sooner recommend springing for one of the more expensive sets with Sandy. The $60 speedboat set has an exclusive Spider Queen fig, a Pigsy fig that's only in that set and the food truck, and Mo the cat, along with a bulky but interesting watercraft. And on the higher end of the price scale, both last year's HQ and this year's Dronecopter have way more display potential as (I'd argue) some of the most visually impressive sets in recent years. But if all you want is the figs, buying them individually will likely be way cheaper than any other sets that have Sandy would be, and I don't think the Iron Bull Tank would necessarily have that much impact as a standalone set when it comes to either parts or display.

41 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

If you had any inclination to collect more of the theme, I might sooner recommend springing for one of the more expensive sets with Sandy. The $60 speedboat set has an exclusive Spider Queen fig, a Pigsy fig that's only in that set and the food truck, and Mo the cat, along with a bulky but interesting watercraft. And on the higher end of the price scale, both last year's HQ and this year's Dronecopter have way more display potential as (I'd argue) some of the most visually impressive sets in recent years. But if all you want is the figs, buying them individually will likely be way cheaper than any other sets that have Sandy would be, and I don't think the Iron Bull Tank would necessarily have that much impact as a standalone set when it comes to either parts or display.

I completely agree. I got the Iron Bull Tank to accompany the Flaming Foundry since I don’t intend to get any of the other sets with Sandy, and they do look good together in my city (would have preferred the Inferno Truck but I have limited space and the Tank is smaller), but by itself it’s really not much to write home about. 

6 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I don't really have that much money to spend on LEGO at the moment, so I'd probably only be aiming for The Iron Bull Tank or (maybe) Sandy's Speedboat. I am not too thrilled by either of those two sets outside of the figures, but I wanna purchase at least one Monkie Kid set before the line retires and becomes impossible to afford on the aftermarket.

8 hours ago, Lego David said:

I don't really have that much money to spend on LEGO at the moment, so I'd probably only be aiming for The Iron Bull Tank or (maybe) Sandy's Speedboat. I am not too thrilled by either of those two sets outside of the figures, but I wanna purchase at least one Monkie Kid set before the line retires and becomes impossible to afford on the aftermarket.

Other than the minifigure pack the MK Cloud Bike is the cheapest set.