Robert8

LEGO Monkie Kid 2021

7 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

The cheapest set is $35 US, hopefully that new double bike set changes that. I’m a firm believer that wave 1 was the best, but I love all of the sets. My favourite from the new wave is probably either the accessory pack or the white dragon horse jet. I just wish it had some crazy cool play features. Oh well. From anyone who has all of the sets so far, or at least most of them, what would you recommend? I’m not looking to go too expensive, £70 at most and I would like to get as many figs as possible, plus something with a crazy play feature. Love when Lego does something cool. I’m considering the cloud jet, but I’m asking people with experience. Thoughts?

I would wait and grab the cloud bike to be honest. You get an even hero and villain matchup and a civilian, and a spider-bot, plus mk’s bike has a hover mode which seems fun and 2 disk launchers, and the whole set is 25, so it’s 10$ cheaper than mei’s bike which is honestly not a great set in my opinion. 

the cloud jet and roadster are both awesome, the jet is the better of the two out of them although the roadster has the best figures, the demon bros being a stand out pair and the civilians even having some less common parts, but the jet is a better build and has more play value with the bike launching function, disk shooters, and just general jet swooshieness.

Edited by mrfang2

3 hours ago, NetherCreeper said:

The sets have been added to lego.com, but there's not too much new to see, beyond the 3d view and higher quality pics. The accessory pack is nowhere to be seen, though.

Strange... that's what Lego did with 2019 Marvel wave. I hope it isn't a continuing theme they uphold

42 minutes ago, pancakecrocodile said:

Strange... that's what Lego did with 2019 Marvel wave. I hope it isn't a continuing theme they uphold

the pack is up, just not on the US site yet. check legos uk page!

Just now, a guy from somewhere said:

the pack is up, just not on the US site yet. check legos uk page!

Oh, okay; I was looking at USA. Lego always release in Europe first, so that makes sense. Thanks!

Oh! One thing this does confirm is U.S. and other international pricing, which IIRC we previously didn't know for sure (though we could estimate with currency conversion). Unfortunately... it's still pretty high on average, much like last year. The cloud bike is at least cheaper than the cheapest set from last year, but $25 is still higher than your typical entry level set in most other themes.

For my part at least, I can afford it, and the sets I'm most keen on (like the three biggest sets and the White Dragon Horse Jet) do feel like a good value. It's really interesting how much of a better value Red Son's Inferno Jet feels than the similarly priced White Dragon Horse Bike from last year, too—with most of the set contents condensed into one vehicle, it feels much more substantial than that set did with its contents split between a bike, hoverboard, and chunky barricade and gatehouse. But conversely, at $80, I'm definitely leaning back toward passing on the Lion Guardian... my main interest there was in the arcade build, and the price of the set as a whole feels a little too hefty to swallow for just that.

Edited by Lyichir

5 hours ago, pancakecrocodile said:

Oh, okay; I was looking at USA. Lego always release in Europe first, so that makes sense. Thanks!

Its on the US site now.  Can't wait to get flower fruit mountain.  Also probably getting cloud bike and not sure what else yet.  

53 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

Its on the US site now.  Can't wait to get flower fruit mountain.  Also probably getting cloud bike and not sure what else yet.  

Oh Flower Fruit mountain is the best Monkie Kid set they've released so far!

Flower Fruit Mountain set looks amazing! But I amy pick Cloud Bike instead becuase it also looks cool!

8 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Oh! One thing this does confirm is U.S. and other international pricing, which IIRC we previously didn't know for sure (though we could estimate with currency conversion). Unfortunately... it's still pretty high on average, much like last year. The cloud bike is at least cheaper than the cheapest set from last year, but $25 is still higher than your typical entry level set in most other themes.

For my part at least, I can afford it, and the sets I'm most keen on (like the three biggest sets and the White Dragon Horse Jet) do feel like a good value. It's really interesting how much of a better value Red Son's Inferno Jet feels than the similarly priced White Dragon Horse Bike from last year, too—with most of the set contents condensed into one vehicle, it feels much more substantial than that set did with its contents split between a bike, hoverboard, and chunky barricade and gatehouse. But conversely, at $80, I'm definitely leaning back toward passing on the Lion Guardian... my main interest there was in the arcade build, and the price of the set as a whole feels a little too hefty to swallow for just that.

Prices are in lines with other themes, which couldn't be said about the 2020 sets. The $25 set should be $20 but all the others are priced well. The Jet is $50 for 565 pieces.

The main issue is if they are still exclusives we will never get 20% off like every other theme.

Ooh, pretty happy with these prices! The Horse Jet is only $70 AUD? And the Inferno Jet is $50? Sweet! Not thrilled about the Dronecopter being at the same price point of the Warrior Mech and Flaming Foundry at $230 AUD, but meh it’s workable. And the Mountain at $280 . . hm. Not great. Guess that’s reasonable enough.

9 hours ago, Maple said:

Prices are in lines with other themes, which couldn't be said about the 2020 sets. The $25 set should be $20 but all the others are priced well. The Jet is $50 for 565 pieces.

The main issue is if they are still exclusives we will never get 20% off like every other theme.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think the prices are and have been largely fair (give or take a little depending on the set). I was mostly just remarking on how the sets skew larger and the prices skew higher than your average theme like Ninjago, where you typically get a large number of $10 to $20 dollar sets each year, and the largest set in a wave rarely exceeds $120 to $150 (excluding rare D2C sets). In this wave of Monkie Kid sets, there's not one but three sets exceeding $120, with the most expensive set costing $170. The same went for the first wave of sets. The high cost of those sets can be daunting for newcomers, even if the value you get for that money is generally quite strong. And at the lower price points, there's nothing really comparable to the wide selection of $10 to $15 "impulse" sets other themes get.

And it's not like I don't understand why that might be the case for this theme. With reduced availability compared to other themes, and much more obscure subject matter for non-Asian audiences, the same business model those other themes utilize to net sales in supermarkets or big box stores might not be as practical here. Still, as a fan of the theme, I can't help but worry sometimes about how it's perceived, and how that might impact the theme's broader success.

Before I will get the soon-to-be-released Flower Mountain, I am still bothering myself whether I should buy 80013.

I have no MK set right now, but the Mountain is a No-Brainer for me besides the price. And while I was lokking at the 2020 sets, the big ship grew on me. It looks like a great playset, but there are no reviews on eurobricks or brickset, the only two sites I take a look at reviews... Sigh, so yotube it is, then?

32 minutes ago, neithan said:

Before I will get the soon-to-be-released Flower Mountain, I am still bothering myself whether I should buy 80013.

I have no MK set right now, but the Mountain is a No-Brainer for me besides the price. And while I was lokking at the 2020 sets, the big ship grew on me. It looks like a great playset, but there are no reviews on eurobricks or brickset, the only two sites I take a look at reviews... Sigh, so yotube it is, then?

Wild to me that neither site ever reviewed this set! It's definitely a solid build and a great playset with good interior and exterior detailing. And if you don't have any of the other sets it's a decent way to get all four main "heroes" from the first wave of sets (MK, Mei, Pigsy, and Sandy). Only real drawback is the price and the fact that it doesn't really have any exclusive figures... so if you were collecting with a focus on characters from the theme, your money might be better spent on some of the other sets, many of which are cheaper and would ultimately net you more of the villains from the theme along with most of the "good guys" from this set. If you plan to stick to just a few sets, though, you could do a lot worse than that one.

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think the prices are and have been largely fair (give or take a little depending on the set). I was mostly just remarking on how the sets skew larger and the prices skew higher than your average theme like Ninjago, where you typically get a large number of $10 to $20 dollar sets each year, and the largest set in a wave rarely exceeds $120 to $150 (excluding rare D2C sets). In this wave of Monkie Kid sets, there's not one but three sets exceeding $120, with the most expensive set costing $170. The same went for the first wave of sets. The high cost of those sets can be daunting for newcomers, even if the value you get for that money is generally quite strong. And at the lower price points, there's nothing really comparable to the wide selection of $10 to $15 "impulse" sets other themes get.

And it's not like I don't understand why that might be the case for this theme. With reduced availability compared to other themes, and much more obscure subject matter for non-Asian audiences, the same business model those other themes utilize to net sales in supermarkets or big box stores might not be as practical here. Still, as a fan of the theme, I can't help but worry sometimes about how it's perceived, and how that might impact the theme's broader success.

Oh yeah I don't get why there aren't smaller sets in the theme either. I did a quick count and there are 18 'normal' sets, not counting Brickhead, polybags or the minifigure pack. Of which 3 are less than $50USD, two are $50USD and the other 13 are over. 7 of them are over $100! 

Lego can't make small sets? 

2 hours ago, Maple said:

Oh yeah I don't get why there aren't smaller sets in the theme either. I did a quick count and there are 18 'normal' sets, not counting Brickhead, polybags or the minifigure pack. Of which 3 are less than $50USD, two are $50USD and the other 13 are over. 7 of them are over $100! 

It’s troubling to read those statistics. It’s unfortunate because I love the colours! Some good pieces to part out as well.

5 hours ago, Maple said:

Chasing the yuan of the affluent middle class Chinese market no doubt, who will gladly pay a premium for European brands like LEGO over Asian clones (Lepin etc.). Never discussed much but you’d think there has to be higher profit margins in the larger sets.

Edited by Lucarex

5 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

It’s troubling to read those statistics. It’s unfortunate because I love the colours! Some good pieces to part out as well.

I agree. I love the Spider Queen stuff, the pig guy (who I bought off Bricks and Pieces), even the Monkey Kid himself has a cool outfit.

3 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Chasing the yuan of the affluent middle class Chinese market no doubt, who will gladly pay a premium for European brands like LEGO over Asian clones (Lepin etc.). Never discussed much but you’d think there has to be higher profit margins in the larger sets.

One year LEGO released a list of the 'best selling' sets. It was the year with the Friends Hotel. I think there was also a police station on it. So people figured it wasn't 'best selling' but really 'most profitable'. Doesn't make sense to me, but whatever. I don't have secret info.

But Lego could make the sets cheaper in the USA. I mean we are a shit nation and need cheap LEGO.

Edited by Maple

5 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

brickset have posted their review of the flower fruit mountain! 

Yup, it seems like today was the embargo date for reviews. Brickset and New Elementary have also posted reviews of the White Dragon Horse Jet, and there are also video reviews of some of the sets on YouTube.

On 2/20/2021 at 9:46 AM, neithan said:

Jang has a good video of it up. I own it myself, and found it to be a pretty good build, with a lot of great detail, a good selection of minifigs, and some interesting build techniques. My only gripe with it is that the joints connecting the two sides to the center section are super flimsy (literally a rod and some clips). The boat holds together securely as a boat, and works fine as a playset once opened, but you have to be pretty careful when you're actually opening it. I think that's meant to allow flexibility in play (so you can really separate the three segments), but it makes for some harrowing moments at times!