Robert8

LEGO Monkie Kid 2021

5 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

where are these clips? I take it your talking about the lion?

The ones on the spider legs among other places. I believe they're either a new 2-parts ratchetted hinge, or one new part.

Edited by anothergol

1 hour ago, anothergol said:

The ones on the spider legs among other places. I believe they're either a new 2-parts ratchetted hinge, or one new part.

Fairly sure it's just one (molded) part, with a 90° bend. As cool as an articulated "elbow" would be it would have to be extremely compact, and it doesn't look like there's one in any of the pics. It still looks like a cool part, and will complement the other "bar holder" pieces nicely.

Speaking of new parts, there's a new bow corner piece that fits with the one introduced with the police station (https://brickset.com/parts/design-70681) that works for pagoda-style roofs. The easiest way to see it is in the corners of the structure on the back of the arachnoid base, but it's also in the lion (arcade build) and in flower fruit mountain. (inside, below the monkey king's throne, where the "battle" feature is)

With all of Lego's Asian inspired themes, I think we'll be seeing a lot of this piece in the future.

20 hours ago, Aanchir said:

The smaller monkeys that appear in the Flower Fruit Mountain set are based on the group of regular wild monkeys in Journey to the West that declared the Monkey King their ruler early in his life. Their behavior is somewhat anthropomorphized (as is often the case with animals in various legends and folklore), but they're still just treated as ordinary monkeys without any special lineage or supernatural traits — just ones that the story's writers projected vaguely human thoughts and personality traits onto.

By contrast, the Monkey King himself himself is implied to be sort of a demigod, albeit part-monkey, part divine instead of part-human, part divine. He was born from a magical egg, which in turn had burst from a life-giving stone imbued with yang from the heavens and yin from the Earth. The Monkey King is able to crawl and walk from birth, and later in his life he joins human society, wearing human clothes and walking with a human gait (though he is still unmistakably not a human). It's only later, by study, trickery, and other means, that he acquires the many supernatural abilities that he's known for.

So to sum up — normal animals exist in this universe and in the stories that it's based don, but most of the ones that appear as characters are extraordinary or supernatural in some way (e.g. demigods, demons, etc). I'm PRETTY sure Mo is supposed to be a regular cat, though.

EDIT: Also, with regard to some of the other "animal" characters:

• The Six-Eared Macaque (the black-haired Monkey King look-alike in the Flower Fruit Mountain set) is also a "spiritual monkey" with supernatural abilities largely equivalent to the Monkey King's own powers.
  • Pigsy is NOT an actual pig of any sort, but rather a man who was banished from the heavens for offending the moon goddess and cursed with a monstrous half-man, half-pig appearance. Like Sandy (another heavenly general banished and reborn as a monster/demon), he is challenged to a fight with the Monkey King and defeated, after which he joins Monkey King and Tang Sanzang on their travels in order to atone for his misdeeds.
  • The Demon Bull King is not an actual bull, but rather a bull-shaped demon who can shapeshift into a humanoid form. Same with the various Spider Demons.

Thank you for this fantastic context!

4 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Fairly sure it's just one (molded) part, with a 90° bend. As cool as an articulated "elbow" would be it would have to be extremely compact, and it doesn't look like there's one in any of the pics. It still looks like a cool part, and will complement the other "bar holder" pieces nicely.

The reason I think it's ratchetted (we -already- have a compact ratchetted clip system) is that even though normal clips have enough friction for legs on small or mid-size builds like in these sets, Lego generally avoids those, probably because they lose friction in the long term. When Lego uses normal clips for legs, they generally put a clear brick under the build as the "real" stand.

The mountain looks great, so many great figs and design is wonderful.  Definitely getting the mountain and probably a few others.  The mountain is one of the best location sets I've seen.  Ninjago also has some nice location sets.  It's going to be an expensive lego year so many great sets this year.  

1 hour ago, anothergol said:

The reason I think it's ratchetted (we -already- have a compact ratchetted clip system) is that even though normal clips have enough friction for legs on small or mid-size builds like in these sets, Lego generally avoids those, probably because they lose friction in the long term. When Lego uses normal clips for legs, they generally put a clear brick under the build as the "real" stand.

So you think the clip itself is ratcheted? I don't see how it could be and still connect to the same parts with 3.2mm bars that have existed for decades (such as the 2x2 plate with octagonal bars or the 1x2 tile with handle). These aren't connecting to parts with notches for a ratcheted joint to "click" into. And in most of the sets, they don't seem to be supporting a ton of weight—six legs supported by 3.2mm bars and clips feels like plenty for a small spider, since no one leg is bearing a majority of the "weight".

You can see the piece in question in high resolution here, and it's clearly connected to a part with a 3.2mm bar not unlike past minifigures with "spider legs" like Spy Clops from the Agents theme or Spinlyn and Scutter from Chima have used. The only set where they seem to support something substantially larger is on the Spider Queen's "battle rig" here, which from the looks of it is designed so that the ends of the legs reach the ground even with the central body flat on the same surface.

Edited by Lyichir

Does anyone know if this wave is going to be a Lego shop exclusive or will these sets be available in other stores in the US ?

Edited by Dr.Cogg

9 hours ago, Lyichir said:

You can see the piece in question in high resolution here, and it's clearly connected to a part with a 3.2mm bar not unlike past minifigures with "spider legs"

Mmmh when I first saw the pictures I thought we got a new little connector that was connected to a 11090. Then I thought that it got to be ratchetted because Lego doesn't like Legs that are too fragile. But now looking at the zoom, yeah I see it's worse, it's a L-shaped clip-to-bar hole connector, with a fixed 90deg joint, more or less another new "robot leg". Well it's still good to take, but.. not amazing.

Edited by anothergol

I didn’t notice before but there are a bunch of flags floating in midair around the mountain set. They sort of remind me of the flags that hover above the entrances to different zones in Okami, but I can’t read Chinese so I don’t know what they say. Does anyone know what to make of those?

7 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

I didn’t notice before but there are a bunch of flags floating in midair around the mountain set. They sort of remind me of the flags that hover above the entrances to different zones in Okami, but I can’t read Chinese so I don’t know what they say. Does anyone know what to make of those?

I can't manage to figure it out easily either (not even by trying to manually write the text into Google Translate), but my assumption had been that rather than marking locations, they were describing each scene from the Monkey King stories that is depicted there. I'd love to have someone more educated elucidate me on what they actually say, though.

EDIT: I can decipher a little bit of the banner above the area where Macaque and MK are fighting... I can see 真假王, which Google tells me means "true and false king". There's two other characters I can't decipher, but I think it's describing the battle between the Monkey King and Macaque? Most of the other banners are too blurry for me to even try to decipher.

Edited by Lyichir

So, there is four new episodes of Monkie Kid on Youtube in chinese. It shows what I believe could be sets for the summer wave. 

Spoiler

A White Bone Demon mech and a temple with chinese lion guards.

1 hour ago, a guy from somewhere said:

someone also has the lion guardian, apparently found in a Legoland discovery centre. looks pretty good in person, and has some cool features. the back looks a bit empty though.

Nice! I hadn't really been so keen on that one based on the pictures, but seeing the functionality in action does make it slightly more appealing to me. Combined with the arcade build that might bump it up to a "get" for me.

1 hour ago, a guy from somewhere said:

someone also has the lion guardian, apparently found in a Legoland discovery centre. looks pretty good in person, and has some cool features. the back looks a bit empty though.

The lion looks a lot better than it does on the box art tbh, and the function to open and close the mouth is pretty slick, as are the hidden missile launchers. While I still don’t /love/ the look of it, I can appreciate it a bit more now that I see what the functions are. Was gonna get it anyway for the arcade build, but good to know I won’t have to mod it as much as I thought I would to like it.

Ehh, seeing the lion out of the box doesn’t really change much of what I thought. I like the mouth and opening missile pods, but the thin body and the empty arches used ruins some of the look for me. I don’t know what it is about that build that looks so wrong to me, but it does. It might be the proportions, the wide shoulders, short body and long/straight legs just throw me off and make the whole thing strange to me.

Beyond that, I saw the pic of the white bone demon Mech from the show, and it’s looking great! I like how it looks distinct from the others we’ve already gotten. I’ve loved the two big mechs so far, so count me in for a third! (Or fourth if you count the arachnid base)

New polybag and figure pack leaked. The poly is a pretty nicely articulated mini version of the monkie mech. The fig pack has micro builds of the bull tank and cloud roadster, plus civilian Mei and mk and bob with red racing suits on. The picture is too blurry to see if the suits are new prints or not. 

honestly disappointed that the fig pack is what it is. Party mk, artist mk, any of the apocalyptic variants, or the “beaten up” versions, or the blue powered bull clones, or any version of tang, alternate pigsy expression, etc. would’ve been much more useful than 2 identical racing suits that may not even be blue and a Mei we’ve already gotten twice...

3 hours ago, mrfang2 said:

New polybag and figure pack leaked. The poly is a pretty nicely articulated mini version of the monkie mech. The fig pack has micro builds of the bull tank and cloud roadster, plus civilian Mei and mk and bob with red racing suits on. The picture is too blurry to see if the suits are new prints or not. 

honestly disappointed that the fig pack is what it is. Party mk, artist mk, any of the apocalyptic variants, or the “beaten up” versions, or the blue powered bull clones, or any version of tang, alternate pigsy expression, etc. would’ve been much more useful than 2 identical racing suits that may not even be blue and a Mei we’ve already gotten twice...

I’ll be honest, when I first saw that pic I thought it was a monkie kid advent calendar. That would be great! This is probably gonna be one of the only monkie kid sets I pick up, but unfortunately dosent come with standard MK. I would of gotten the inferno truck, as I’m a fan of all the builds but monkie kid is just so damn expensive. The cheapest set is $35 US, hopefully that new double bike set changes that. I’m a firm believer that wave 1 was the best, but I love all of the sets. My favourite from the new wave is probably either the accessory pack or the white dragon horse jet. I just wish it had some crazy cool play features. Oh well. From anyone who has all of the sets so far, or at least most of them, what would you recommend? I’m not looking to go too expensive, £70 at most and I would like to get as many figs as possible, plus something with a crazy play feature. Love when Lego does something cool. I’m considering the cloud jet, but I’m asking people with experience. Thoughts?

Edited by a guy from somewhere

3 hours ago, mrfang2 said:

They're definitely not blue... :P

I'm not too miffed about the figure pack. If nothing else it'll definitely be the cheapest way to pick up casual Mei for those who haven't gotten the Inferno Truck or the new Lion Guardian, and with any luck the racing suits will be both new and costumes that appear in the show. The mini-builds look cute, too. It would definitely have been better to get a pack with three or four brand-new figs, but honestly one more set at an impulse price certainly doesn't hurt one way or the other.

10 hours ago, mrfang2 said:

Ditto. It’s neat & all, the RC versions are fun & the suit print, for what we can see, look decent. While it appears not, the saving grace would be that Mei has the new face with the scouter on it. 

Once it becomes more clearer I’ll decode. Wish it was more like the normal sets, something to accompany them.

6 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

I’ll be honest, when I first saw that pic I thought it was a monkie kid advent calendar. That would be great! This is probably gonna be one of the only monkie kid sets I pick up, but unfortunately dosent come with standard MK. I would of gotten the inferno truck, as I’m a fan of all the builds but monkie kid is just so damn expensive. The cheapest set is $35 US, hopefully that new double bike set changes that. I’m a firm believer that wave 1 was the best, but I love all of the sets. My favourite from the new wave is probably either the accessory pack or the white dragon horse jet. I just wish it had some crazy cool play features. Oh well. From anyone who has all of the sets so far, or at least most of them, what would you recommend? I’m not looking to go too expensive, £70 at most and I would like to get as many figs as possible, plus something with a crazy play feature. Love when Lego does something cool. I’m considering the cloud jet, but I’m asking people with experience. Thoughts?

I have the Cloud Jet(as well as the Cloud Roadster, Dragon Bike, & Warrior Mech). I bought it day one & I love it. As a vehicle it doesn’t have much in the way of play features, other than the cockpit turned bike, which is cool. Jet has a decent minifig lineup, Red Son is awesome. The Cloud Roadster has those demon bros, which are fantastic! Which is why I didn’t mind the slightly high price tag. 

I’m right there with you, the theme is awesome, I love the whole thing...but man, those prices are a huge turnoff. 

@Lyichir Casual Mei can be bought for $3.00 from B&P(availability & all that jazz) I recently learned.:laugh:

Edited by Vindicare

10 hours ago, mrfang2 said:

Thanks for the heads up. That is too bad about the figure pack. As several other people mentioned,  was hoping for something more exciting. Oh well!