Robert8

LEGO Monkie Kid 2021

These sets looks great! Definite buys are White Dragon Horse Jet- the shaping on that is awesome & I love the shields used. Lion Guardian is very cool, love that Mei has a scouter! And of course, Flower Fruit Mountain. What a beauty, and all those monkeys! 

Now for the hard part...the prices. Although, if they are getting a wider release, maybe with the routine 20% off they won’t be so bad. 

anyone know the ppp on the mountain (if it is 170). I could prob do it myself, but im just being lazy :laugh_hard:

on second thought, do we even have a piece count for it???

Edited by Surge

The Flower Mountain is perfect!! I love this set so much. I love the facade, I love the figures, I love the colors. Its so good. Huge fan of this set I haven’t smiled at. a Lego leak that hard since Ninjago Gardens (which was admittedly very recent haha). I’m torn on the Spider Queen base because its good, but is it good enough to buy? I want it, but how likely am I to pick it up, I’m a little torn on that one. Actually love the Lion it looks like a Chinese New Year Dragon and the design is super fun to stare at. The little blue building is peaking my eye as well. This wave is not bad, I may not be looking to buy the two jets but they’re not bad by any means.

I’d say this wave is on par with the first and really maintains the quality of the brand. The second wave is where it dipped but I’m hoping they expand on this theme for at least another year because it has been very fun and refreshing in terms of both builds and figures. Also happy to see Lego reach out to the huge consumer market in China and cater to that demographic. I like seeing Lego take initiatives like this and I’m very satisfied with how it turned out.

I never thought I'd say this, I actually like all the sets revealed! 

The Arachnoid Base didn't disappoint, looking really good there! The stickers/prints is just killer! Build-wise, it reminds me of Galaxy Squad's Hive Crawler and Exo Force's Combat Crawler & Mobile Devastator. The amalgamations is totally sweet! And it's good to see HF Invasion from Below's beast claw/finger pieces in lime green. Also, it looks even more menacing and cooler in the show too! (Based on the leaked shots) 

I used to not have any hope for Mei's Jet but I'm definitely glad to have been proven wrong! I did not expect the Jet to looked this mindblowingly good! I feel that the addition of teal just works so well. And all those angles too! Same with Red Son's Jet, really dig that rocket-esque shape instead of a conventional jet.

MK's Lion Guardian, I'm pleasantly surprised with that. With the MK prefix and also based on the leaked cartoon version earlier, I wasn't really impressed, But the set managed to turn that around with the retainment the legendary looks of those lions without looking mech-ish or goofy. As with Monkie Kid's Cloud Bike set, I'm actually happy that we're getting dual-factioned bikes showdown again, Ninjago's Desert Lightning and Street Race of Snake Jaguar was awesome. Both bikes look pretty decent but what I really dig was the Spider Biker's helm, a great reuse of those type of helmets.

The Legendary Flower Fruit Mountain does give me the vibe of what it suggest -  legendary. And I find the amount of monkeys in that set pretty cute haha! Also, glad to have Macaque to finally exist as a minifigure!

Overall, I'm definitely pleasantly surprised with this wave!

Edited by JJ Tong (zfogshooterz)

The two bigger sets of the first wave (the mech and container ship) were both amazing, but something I had no interest in. This mountain is absolutely stunning!

WOW

One set that isnt a vehicle

And is a stunning set. That Flower Mountain is a thing of beauty

Reviewing the images it looks like the mountain has many peg holes on the base to accommodate for add-ons. Regardless if Lego ever expands on the mountain I see this as an opportunity to test my MOCing abilities and maybe create a build to dense out the mountain and expand it as I see fit.

3 hours ago, cosmic said:

Reviewing the images it looks like the mountain has many peg holes on the base to accommodate for add-ons. Regardless if Lego ever expands on the mountain I see this as an opportunity to test my MOCing abilities and maybe create a build to dense out the mountain and expand it as I see fit.

you can also seemingly use it very easily with the other buildings in the line because of this. does it make sense for a bull checkpoint, a convenience store, or pigsy's shop to be on flower fruit mountain? no, of course not. is it funny and rife with opportunities for play and display with some mods? absolutely. the bit of ffm in the inferno jet is probably the first of several potential add-ons to that environment as well. we have seen a temple in that location in the new special, and a hut that is supposed to be behind that waterfall, both of those would make great sets to add to this one.

edit- looking at the back of the box the whole build splits into 3 and can be swapped around or played with separately, but i also think that the open spotes on the back, specifically the row directly behind the waterfall, will be used for wukong's hut later on in the line. especially if they keep showing mk training there.

Edited by mrfang2

I’ve been somewhere between pure scorn and general apathy about Monkie Kid as a theme (and will remain so), but my god, that Fruit Flower Mountain set is fantastic.

Sure, the price is going to sting badly, but this will be the first (and almost certainly last) MK set I’ll buy. 

The stand outs for me are The Flower Fruit Mountain and the Arachnoid Base. The rest, while addmitedly well designed, are just more redundant vehicles, so I don't care about them that much. The Lion Guardian is a huge letdown for me, it looks like a complete mess. 

I am glad we are getting more cheaper sets, but still, 25$ for the cheapest set in the wave is still a bit expensive. I might end up buying it just in order to get a taste of the line, but still, I am not very thrilled with the value.

Edited by Lego David

4 hours ago, Surge said:

anyone know the ppp on the mountain (if it is 170). I could prob do it myself, but im just being lazy :laugh_hard:

on second thought, do we even have a piece count for it???

1949 pieces, PPP 0.087/Average value

Edited by JintaiZ

White Dragon Horse Jet is a definite buy. Lots of parts that I could really use. The Legendary Flower Fruit Mountain is major a want, especially since all the monkey figs make a classic Planet of the Apes MOC possible.

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

I assume there are not normal animals here 

The smaller monkeys that appear in the Flower Fruit Mountain set are based on the group of regular wild monkeys in Journey to the West that declared the Monkey King their ruler early in his life. Their behavior is somewhat anthropomorphized (as is often the case with animals in various legends and folklore), but they're still just treated as ordinary monkeys without any special lineage or supernatural traits — just ones that the story's writers projected vaguely human thoughts and personality traits onto.

By contrast, the Monkey King himself himself is implied to be sort of a demigod, albeit part-monkey, part divine instead of part-human, part divine. He was born from a magical egg, which in turn had burst from a life-giving stone imbued with yang from the heavens and yin from the Earth. The Monkey King is able to crawl and walk from birth, and later in his life he joins human society, wearing human clothes and walking with a human gait (though he is still unmistakably not a human). It's only later, by study, trickery, and other means, that he acquires the many supernatural abilities that he's known for.

So to sum up — normal animals exist in this universe and in the stories that it's based don, but most of the ones that appear as characters are extraordinary or supernatural in some way (e.g. demigods, demons, etc). I'm PRETTY sure Mo is supposed to be a regular cat, though.

EDIT: Also, with regard to some of the other "animal" characters:

• The Six-Eared Macaque (the black-haired Monkey King look-alike in the Flower Fruit Mountain set) is also a "spiritual monkey" with supernatural abilities largely equivalent to the Monkey King's own powers.
  • Pigsy is NOT an actual pig of any sort, but rather a man who was banished from the heavens for offending the moon goddess and cursed with a monstrous half-man, half-pig appearance. Like Sandy (another heavenly general banished and reborn as a monster/demon), he is challenged to a fight with the Monkey King and defeated, after which he joins Monkey King and Tang Sanzang on their travels in order to atone for his misdeeds.
  • The Demon Bull King is not an actual bull, but rather a bull-shaped demon who can shapeshift into a humanoid form. Same with the various Spider Demons.
Edited by Aanchir

That mountain set is fantastic, good choice to keep the Sci-Fi out of that set so it will appeal more as a standalone set.

Other sets certainly are good but as with the other waves, the theme's exclusivity will make me fear the overall pricing.

Wow, that landscape set came out of nowhere and it’s one of the best original LEGO theme playsets in a while. A little scared to see what the price will be given this theme’s track record, but I’ll be getting it regardless. Looking forward to the rest of the sets as well with varying degrees of excitement - the Arachnoid Base is the perfect evolution of the Hive Crawler/Takua and Pewku/Arachnoid Star Base concept, and the jets actually try to do something unique and aren’t just Ninjago-like vehicles, which I appreciate. Weakest one is probably the Inferno Jet (although even that one is a super unique shape) and the Lion Guard feels like a more cluttered Ultrakatty from the LEGO Movie 2. Otherwise, these all look fantastic as per usual with the theme, and even the motorcycle set is a step up from the White Dragon Horse Bike. Solid improvement over last year’s summer wave and on par, if not better than the first wave!

I don't know exactly what those new small clip parts are, but they're gonna be a game changer.

Only hoping they're not ratchetted, but it looks like they might be. And since they're used for legs, they probably are :(
(of course small ratchetted clips are compatible with normal ones but the connection is very weak)

Edited by anothergol

What's the best way to see more pics of the Flower Mountain please? I've seen the one on Brick Fanatics, but looking for better images and someone mentioned the box art?

14 minutes ago, Smw said:

What's the best way to see more pics of the Flower Mountain please? I've seen the one on Brick Fanatics, but looking for better images and someone mentioned the box art?

The full set of official pics are here at The Brothers Brick.

Thank you! Just been checking them out - I haven't bought anything from Monkie Kid before, but that mountain goes straight on my list. Do we know roughly when? Are we talking summer / September or sooner?

18 hours ago, Surge said:

That mountain is amazing!!! I love all of the monkey figs. Really hope it is less than 200, but I expect it to be more.

it's $170

Here's all prices:

80018: $25
80019: $35
80020: $50
80021: $80
80022: $120 (not sure)
80023: $150
80024: $170

18 hours ago, mrfang2 said:

possibly, although given the way they are structured that would be the smallest set, so very unlikely to have the bigfig. in fact im pretty sure thats one of those minifig and accessory sets, the blister card ones, since this wave was originally stated to be 7 sets plus one of those, and these are all 7 sets. 

mf pack has another set number, just as polybag. also, this set has number as if it is a set, not something else

you can see it on the box lol

Edited by Legofania

2 hours ago, anothergol said:

I don't know exactly what those new small clip parts are, but they're gonna be a game changer.

Only hoping they're not ratchetted, but it looks like they might be. And since they're used for legs, they probably are :(
(of course small ratchetted clips are compatible with normal ones but the connection is very weak)

where are these clips? I take it your talking about the lion?

50 minutes ago, Smw said:

Thank you! Just been checking them out - I haven't bought anything from Monkie Kid before, but that mountain goes straight on my list. Do we know roughly when? Are we talking summer / September or sooner?

March

Really! This has been an expensive couple of months. My dark ages are definitely over!