Robert8

LEGO Monkie Kid 2021

2 hours ago, Legofania said:

that's not all. We're expecting to get at least 2 more sets

Brickset lists three more, actually (80017, 80018, 80022)! If I had to wager a guess I'd say at least one of those (probably 80022, considering it's typical for later set numbers in a wave to be larger/more expensive) might be a large mech of some sort—considering that the Monkey King Warrior Mech and Demon Bull King both seem to have been popular.

It'd be cool to get a mech for Mei, considering her aptitude at the "Monkey Mech" arcade game (in which she plays as a White Dragon Horse Mech) and how excited she was to pilot the Monkey King Mech at the end of season one.

Hopefully these get revealed soon! I expect that if they aren't revealed before then they will be unveiled on Chinese New Year (February 12).

Edited by Lyichir

On 1/18/2021 at 9:09 PM, Lyichir said:

Brickset lists three more, actually (80017, 80018, 80022)! If I had to wager a guess I'd say at least one of those (probably 80022, considering it's typical for later set numbers in a wave to be larger/more expensive) might be a large mech of some sort—considering that the Monkey King Warrior Mech and Demon Bull King both seem to have been popular.

It'd be cool to get a mech for Mei, considering her aptitude at the "Monkey Mech" arcade game (in which she plays as a White Dragon Horse Mech) and how excited she was to pilot the Monkey King Mech at the end of season one.

Hopefully these get revealed soon! I expect that if they aren't revealed before then they will be unveiled on Chinese New Year (February 12).

80022 is Spider Queen's base. They just made mistake. I checked. And 80021 is unknown tet

14 hours ago, Ragana9289 said:

When to wait for images ?

I'd assume 26th January, because Vidiyo is going to be revealed this day and it's going to be released in March, just as MK sets. But this is only a guess

16 hours ago, Legofania said:

I'd assume 26th January, because Vidiyo is going to be revealed this day and it's going to be released in March, just as MK sets. But this is only a guess

The Island sets of Ninjago are planned to be released in march but they've already been revealed, so yeah it's definitely isn't a hard rule indeed.

Since Vidiyo is going to be revealed on the 26th, that's a day I'm looking forward to now. Thankfully, I'm already intrigued and curious with Vidiyo, so that juice is good enough for me for that day. Monkie Kid would a nice bonus to make the day better if it get revealed too.

I'm sorry if this the wrong place to post this, but which Monkie Kid sets are best value for money? I want to start collecting the theme but it seems incredibly expensive compared to others, with very few cheap sets, so wanna make sure I'm.getting my money's worth

1 hour ago, JaHawk2009 said:

I'm sorry if this the wrong place to post this, but which Monkie Kid sets are best value for money? I want to start collecting the theme but it seems incredibly expensive compared to others, with very few cheap sets, so wanna make sure I'm.getting my money's worth

Value for money is often a subjective measure, but if you're using price-per-piece as your main metric, the larger sets typically represent a better value than the smaller ones (as is often the case in other themes as well). Sets like Pigsy's Food Truck, Demon Bull King, Monkey King Warrior Mech, Monkie Kid's Team Secret HQ, and the Flaming Foundry all meet the old (American) AFOL standby of costing less than ten cents per piece, while smaller sets with large pieces like Iron Bull Tank, Monkie Kid's Cloud Jet, Sandy's Speedboat, and Monkie Kid's Cloud Roadster are less generous. Red Son's Inferno Truck is a bit of an outlier in that respect—it's one of the larger sets but has a lot of large parts that bump up the price.

But of course, price per piece isn't the only way of judging value, even if it is one of the more "quantitative" measures. Some of those sets with a higher price-per-piece like Sandy's Speedboat, the Cloud Roadster, and Red Son's Inferno Truck have exclusive minifigures that might make them more appealing to you if you want a comprehensive collection of characters. And various sets might have more or less appeal to you based on what kind of builds you prefer (buildings, vehicles, mechs, etc.).

Personally, if you're looking to start a collection, I'd highly recommend the Monkey King Warrior Mech to start. It's not only a fantastic-looking set, it has a massive selection of rare metallic gold parts and is currently the only set to include the Monkey King himself (though that could change if he appears again in this year's sets without a redesign).

More pictures of the quadcopter has been revealed. I didn't expect the cockpit to be detachable. With everything detached, it now really feels like full-fledged drone haha.

Getting a closer look at the minifigures, the spider faction looks even cooler there. I quite find difference with both 2020 and 2021 Spider Queen minifigures to be interesting, with the former being mystical while the latter leans on the technological aspect. But I guess that it to be expected since the Arachnoid base certainly sounds techy. Definitely nothing wrong with that. Tech-upped Red Son just looks alright.

And as for the good guys, 2021 Mei is actually looking pretty good there, definitely digging it. And 2021 MK is also a dope variation in his style of clothing.

3 hours ago, thekeeperofthereaper said:

its pretty cute how even mo the cat has a vehicle in the quadcopter set

andddd now it's a Day 1 purchase - COVID brought me back to lego and I've been building a combination of ~10yo sets with my son and modern sets for "my son" (me) -- it's incredible the differences in both building techniques and level of detail in modern sets. I had forgotten how frail some sets are even in themes you'd expect rigidity - looking at you City construction vehicles!

A new Monkey King tail piece and possibly six eared Macaque shirt leaked.

1 hour ago, Dr.Cogg said:

A new Monkey King tail piece and possibly six eared Macaque shirt leaked.

I cant see them on lego leaks, is there a specific post?

Edited by a guy from somewhere

The torso seems to actually be a new outfit for sun wukong, and has already been seen in the show (I forget which episode but it’s when wukong is talking about fighting “seriously a lot of demons”)

If this link works this is the suit in the show (not a leak, this episodes been out for months)

Edited by mrfang2

Finally saw the new tail piece! Looks much more compact (I.e. doesn’t stick back as far), which is good. He’ll finally be able to sit down more easily!

The “classic” Wukong torso is neat too. This is speculative, but what if the minifig pack features the “original” team of Sun Wukong, Zhu Bajie, Sha Wujing, Bai Longma, and Tang Sanzang? They all have designs shown in the show, and while they might be less useful as army builders or to supplement their “modern” counterparts in the other sets, they would be some interesting figs that would work better in a “bonus” pack like that than in other sets.

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

This is speculative, but what if the minifig pack features the “original” team of Sun Wukong, Zhu Bajie, Sha Wujing, Bai Longma, and Tang Sanzang?

I can only imagine these minifigures would look very beautiful and ornate and would definitely be a bestseller where Journey to the West is popular.

@mrfang2, you might get your wish after all - more set list has been leaked on instagram and The Legendary Flower Fruit Mountain is part of it. Definitely sounds interesting!

Slightly intrigued to check out the Monkie Kid Lion Guardian, the mystical lion guardians in TLNM's 70617 are pretty cool and it would definitely be nice to an expansion to that concept. Not too big on the Monkie Kid prefix since that's suggesting that the color would be MK oriented instead of something unique. And like the jets, don't really care for the cloud bike either. 

So far it seems there's only two villain sets for this wave, maybe that one unrevealed set number might be one. Sucks that there's no set for the Horned Demons, there's always next time I guess, hopefully.

Edited by JJ Tong (zfogshooterz)

The Monkie Kid Lion Guardian sounds very interesting, I assume it would be something similar to the Legend Beasts from Chima.

The Legendary Flower Fruit Mountain sounds very promising. I assume it's gonna be a Mountain Temple build of sorts, which is something I've been wanting from this line ever since the first rumors started coming out. If it doesn't turn out to be that, I'll be very disappointed.

The rest of the leaked set names sound like they are gonna be just more vehicles, so I'm not very interested in those. 

A Flower Fruit Mountain set. Sounds like an awesome playset, a beautiful display piece, or hopefully both. So excited to see what it entails.

My hope is that if the sets do have the theme of traveling to flower fruit mountain together while fighting the villains, which it seems like they might considering the mostly air vehicles, flower fruit mountain being seemingly the biggest set, and the lion guardian likely being an ancient statue type thing instead of a modern mech type thing, that this waves “side builds” will be add ons to expand the main mountain set similarly to the way the side builds in ninjagos last wave could expand the skull dungeon. 

as for villain stuff I’d be surprised if some of the hero sets didn’t also include smaller things for the villains. We know spider queen has a sizable set of builds in the dronecopter, and previous waves have included nice things like the little bull mech or boat, the demon bros racer, etc. plus In the context of the show, the current roster of villains doesn’t so much need vehicles compared to the heroes who, aside from mk, generally will primarily use vehicles to fight. Red son uses vehicles and tech and seems to be supplying spider queen with them as well, but macaque fights entirely with his powers, white bone spirit seems to fight entirely with her powers, and the demon bros seem to avoid fighting entirely when they can do anything they have will likely be smaller and less weaponized since they seem to just swoop in, capture people in the calabash, and get out before they can be stopped. Of course, new characters could change that and for all we know macaque and the demon bros will be busting out huge mecha in the show, but just given what we’ve seen so far, the lack of villain specific vehicles makes sense to me for this wave.

The flower fruit mountain does sound.  I hope it has a temple too.  The lion guardian could be interesting.  I hope there are more than just the 2 demon's and the spider queen as villains.  

I think the Monkie Kid sets have proven themselves as being well designed, differently styled but similar to Ninjago sets. My only problem was the lack of any playsets! My favourite set was actually the large Mech not only because of the mech itself, but because of the excellent residential side build.

I’m very happy that we’re getting a mountain set and also that it’s the largest side of the wave. If it has around 2000 pieces like the HQ set from last year, then that’s well into D2C piece count territory, and could end looking really good! Not too excited for the evil arachnid base, probably because I’m getting Chima flashbacks. Other standouts include the lion guardian and the dragon horse jet, excited to see what those look like.

21 hours ago, mrfang2 said:

My hope is that if the sets do have the theme of traveling to flower fruit mountain together while fighting the villains, which it seems like they might considering the mostly air vehicles, flower fruit mountain being seemingly the biggest set, and the lion guardian likely being an ancient statue type thing instead of a modern mech type thing, that this waves “side builds” will be add ons to expand the main mountain set similarly to the way the side builds in ninjagos last wave could expand the skull dungeon. 

That would be really cool and could make The Flower Fruit Mountain much more fun if that's the case.

21 hours ago, mrfang2 said:

as for villain stuff I’d be surprised if some of the hero sets didn’t also include smaller things for the villains. We know spider queen has a sizable set of builds in the dronecopter, and previous waves have included nice things like the little bull mech or boat, the demon bros racer, etc. plus In the context of the show, the current roster of villains doesn’t so much need vehicles compared to the heroes who, aside from mk, generally will primarily use vehicles to fight. Red son uses vehicles and tech and seems to be supplying spider queen with them as well, but macaque fights entirely with his powers, white bone spirit seems to fight entirely with her powers, and the demon bros seem to avoid fighting entirely when they can do anything they have will likely be smaller and less weaponized since they seem to just swoop in, capture people in the calabash, and get out before they can be stopped. Of course, new characters could change that and for all we know macaque and the demon bros will be busting out huge mecha in the show, but just given what we’ve seen so far, the lack of villain specific vehicles makes sense to me for this wave.

You make pretty good points on why there isn't much villains sets this wave, given what we have. 

And indeed things could change too. I thought the Spider Queen was a one-off thing with Sandy's Speedboat, but now there's additional grunts and the Arachnoid Base.

1 minute ago, JJ Tong (zfogshooterz) said:

You make pretty good points on why there isn't much villains sets this wave, given what we have. 

And indeed things could change too. I thought the Spider Queen was a one-off thing with Sandy's Speedboat, but now there's additional grunts and the Arachnoid Base.

i would assume that, just like last season, the show will introduce 3 or 4 new villains through its run and then the next wave of sets will be smaller but feature more variety of villains, like how spider queen and the demon bros didnt appear in the first wave which was dedicated entirely to the bull army. i guess we'll see though, hopefully soon because i really want to see what that mountain set will look like considering its apparently a 170$ set, being bigger than the dronecopter which is confirmed to be 150$

I'm just wondering when the sets will be revealed, because its only a month till their release.