Robert8

LEGO Monkie Kid 2021

Recommended Posts

Today at the 3rd China International Import Exhibition (CIIE) TLG unveiled 80023 LEGO Monkie Kids’ Team Quadcopter, one of the 7 Monkie Kid sets to be released next March

2021-March-LEGO-Monkie-Kids-Team-Quadcopter-80023-1536x938.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, that's such a weird looking vehicle... I can't even tell what's supposed to be. 

I am glad to see the return of the Spider-Queen, though. It seems like she also got a few goons for her this time around!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the newly revealed Chinese New Year sets, specifically in the garden one, there’s a kid with a monkie kid shirt on under a jacket or over shirt of some kind. Could be a good civilian to add.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Today at the 3rd China International Import Exhibition (CIIE) TLG unveiled 80023 LEGO Monkie Kids’ Team Quadcopter, one of the 7 Monkie Kid sets to be released next March 

2021-March-LEGO-Monkie-Kids-Team-Quadcopter-80023-1536x938.jpg

How much will this set cost ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Ragana9289 said:

How much will this set cost ?

My guess would be 150$, based on it's size and how expensive the Monkie Kid sets generally are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just me or are the Spider Queen and Mei wearing different outfits to previous sets? More green o; the former and more gold on the latter. It’s interesting. I really hope this set is priced well now, I want it more and more the more I look at it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lego David said:

Ok, that's such a weird looking vehicle... I can't even tell what's supposed to be. 

There are four spinning blades on arms spaced around a central fuselage, so it is a quadcopter.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

Is it just me or are the Spider Queen and Mei wearing different outfits to previous sets? More green o; the former and more gold on the latter. It’s interesting. I really hope this set is priced well now, I want it more and more the more I look at it. 

dont forget we finally have tang at last! im not really a fan of the helicopter, but I LOVE the container pods. there appears to be a handle on the back, so my guess is its gonna either be a massive gun, or the pods will be clamped underneath and can just drop out with a pull of a handle. I would love there to be a technic mechanism to turn all the rotors at once using a mechanism found in the ninjago movie lightning jet, where you pull the handle and it spins them all at once, but then will reset itself. I dont really know how to do explain it, im sure someone does. unfortuently, it dosent look like there's any mechanism going between the main fuselage and the heli-pods. looks good anyways. I think the thing that's throwing me off is the weird cockpit shape and the landing gear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the look of this set! FalconFan on Instagram says the price is $150, and seeing his track record on all of these prices, I’m sure he’s correct about this. 
One thing I noticed, look at the legs of the spiders and the extra arms of the henchmen, there’s a new piece! It’s like the clip with bar hole on the end, but the clip is rotated 90 degrees, so it has an L shape. Interesting.

I also like the new extra Accessories on the characters, like the Spider Queen’s cape, or Mei’s shoulder armor, Monkie Kid’s turquoise hood, and even Red Son’s back attachment. I also like how those are new variants, it’s all pretty neat.


About the containers, they can be attached to the quadcopter, even the Spider Queen’s base! You can see the clips on the sides of the containers, and the bars on the copter. I think this thing was a cargo mover that’s been converted to an armed quadcopter. I always love converted vehicles like this! Only thing that annoys me is that Sandy is the exact same, at least give him a new expression! Other than that, I like this thing, but the price is really high, so I’m not sure I’ll get it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new set looks incredible! One of the ideas I had had for a set or part of a set was a shipping container hideou for Mei, so seeing this with not one but two such containers, one for her and one for Tang (who finally appears!) is amazing. It looks like the quadcopter can carry the two containers underneath it maybe?

The quadcopter itself looks great too. As usual I love the angular shapes of MK's vehicles, and this feels quite fresh as far as vehicles go (actually, the closest comparison I can think of structurally isn't a flying vehicle at all but the Striking Venom from Exo-Force). I love the gunning platform for Sandy up top as well as Mo's little flying cat carrier!

On the villain side, it looks like the Spider Queen found herself some minions. All three of them have great new designs. Her little outpost also seems to fold into a container, and I love the use of the old ribbed radar dish which both works for its intended purpose and, when closed, seems to evoke the appearance of a spiderweb! Red Son also gets a new look. Out of curiosity, is this the first use of the "energy burst" prepacks outside the Super Heroes theme? Both this set and one of the Chinese New Year sets use it, which surprised me a bit.

I still hope there might be some smaller sets in this next wave, but as far as a large "flagship" for year two, you could do a lot worse than this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2020 at 11:16 AM, Lego David said:

My guess would be 150$, based on it's size and how expensive the Monkie Kid sets generally are.

As and 80012.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully these figs show up on bricks and pieces as I won't be getting this set.  It's an interesting set with some nice features but just not my cup of tea.  Hopefully the other six sets leak soon and there are some new figs coming in those.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see Tang get a minifigure. 

Also wonder if Red Son is sided with the Spider Queen or is working with Monkie Kid against her. It feels like it could go either way until we get the box art/description. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Takanuinuva said:

Glad to see Tang get a minifigure. 

Also wonder if Red Son is sided with the Spider Queen or is working with Monkie Kid against her. It feels like it could go either way until we get the box art/description. 

Given spider queen has new tech in this set (VR headset on one of her minions, whatever that gun in the container does, and those little spiders look more mechanical than organic) I’d assume son is working with her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mrfang2 said:

Given spider queen has new tech in this set (VR headset on one of her minions, whatever that gun in the container does, and those little spiders look more mechanical than organic) I’d assume son is working with her. 

It's possible the "tech minion" you describe designed the stuff himself, but yeah, the baddies working together is more likely. Which could make for some interesting possibilities in the other sets as well, if characters like Princess Iron Fan, DBK, and the Gold and Silver Horned Demons also reappear (plus the White Bone Spirit, who has appeared in the show but not yet in the sets).

Speaking of which, I appreciate that in this set all the characters (except, understandably, Sandy and Mo) get redesigns, even the Spider Queen who had only previously appeared in a single set.
If those other villains show up it would be cool to see them get updates as well.

Edited by Lyichir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once again, good set , but the value isn't there for me, at 100% RRP.

And that's not to say that I don't like all sets at full price, I'd think the Chinese New Years sets have been worth it so far.

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been trying to build more of this set on Stud.io and downloaded the large version of the set image from the Lego.com press release, and it's amazing that I keep discovering new things about it.

  • Firstly, the containers attach not to the bottom but to the sides—that's probably part of why the sides of the quadcopter seem a little bare. They clip onto the two 1x2 plates with handlebars on either side.
  • Secondly, the cockpit seems like it might detach to function as a sort of escape pod of sorts? That's a bit of an assumption but there are turbines on either side of the cockpit that seem like they could fold back with hinges if the cockpit were detached from the main vehicle.
  • Thirdly, there seems to be functionality whereby you can rotate the turret and fire spring shooters from it all while holding the quadcopter by the handle at the back. Being able to do all that one-handed is a nice touch that makes the set feel like it'll be extremely swooshable.

I've seen a lot of mixed responses about the value for money for this but for me personally, it feels like a fair value. This thing looks big—in terms of the sheer space it takes up, it easily feels like it'd be comparable to a large vehicle set like a Destiny's Bounty or similar set. And on top of the size of the vehicle and containers, it contains a pretty substantial number of figs. I know oversized vehicles like this certainly aren't for everyone but it doesn't feel to me like it's light on value for what it will presumably cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

I've been trying to build more of this set on Stud.io and downloaded the large version of the set image from the Lego.com press release, and it's amazing that I keep discovering new things about it.

  • Firstly, the containers attach not to the bottom but to the sides—that's probably part of why the sides of the quadcopter seem a little bare. They clip onto the two 1x2 plates with handlebars on either side.
  • Secondly, the cockpit seems like it might detach to function as a sort of escape pod of sorts? That's a bit of an assumption but there are turbines on either side of the cockpit that seem like they could fold back with hinges if the cockpit were detached from the main vehicle.
  • Thirdly, there seems to be functionality whereby you can rotate the turret and fire spring shooters from it all while holding the quadcopter by the handle at the back. Being able to do all that one-handed is a nice touch that makes the set feel like it'll be extremely swooshable.

I've seen a lot of mixed responses about the value for money for this but for me personally, it feels like a fair value. This thing looks big—in terms of the sheer space it takes up, it easily feels like it'd be comparable to a large vehicle set like a Destiny's Bounty or similar set. And on top of the size of the vehicle and containers, it contains a pretty substantial number of figs. I know oversized vehicles like this certainly aren't for everyone but it doesn't feel to me like it's light on value for what it will presumably cost.

so I predicted the cog at the back that rotates the turret, and the container pods attuning to the sides is what I meant, but im not seeing the escape pod part. can you post a link to the stud.io file if possible? I dont see where the escape pod feature comes in tho, if I enlarge it I cant see much. with this new info, I also believe this ill be an amazing set, as it looks alright, but my focus is mainly the pods and the side builds. I love the new figs as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

so I predicted the cog at the back that rotates the turret, and the container pods attuning to the sides is what I meant, but im not seeing the escape pod part. can you post a link to the stud.io file if possible? I dont see where the escape pod feature comes in tho, if I enlarge it I cant see much. with this new info, I also believe this ill be an amazing set, as it looks alright, but my focus is mainly the pods and the side builds. I love the new figs as well. 

I don't feel like uploading the model when it's still so incomplete, but I made a Twitter thread of my observations about the set. Here's the tweet where I zoom in and highlight the turbines in question:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am hoping there would be some smaller sets that we are able to afford. Just like Monkie Kid’s Delievery Bike (ofc it’s GWP), White Draong Horse Bike, etc. it would be easy to get some sets with good prices. But this will not stop LEGo from doing somehting big and something pricey.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I am hoping there would be some smaller sets that we are able to afford. Just like Monkie Kid’s Delievery Bike (ofc it’s GWP), White Draong Horse Bike, etc. it would be easy to get some sets with good prices. But this will not stop LEGo from doing somehting big and something pricey.... 

I certainly wouldn't rule out getting something like that in this upcoming wave. We've only seen one of the new sets for next year so far, and based on its numbering it's likely to be the largest of the sets in that wave. That leaves plenty of opportunity still for smaller, cheaper sets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Thedarkmaster2 said:

The Spider people appear to be more prominent than the bull king...

Hard to tell with only one set revealed so far (the others could feature completely different villains for all we know) but it definitely seems like at the very least some of the villains have developed alliances with each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.