Carbohydrates

Old West Saloon, Bank, and Trading Post

A little over 10 years ago, I posted a MOC here that I had built: a Western Saloon and Hotel. It has sat proudly on my display shelf all this time. This year, I got the urge to rebuild and update it. Now, instead of just being a fixed, open-backed building, it has a removable roof and second floor as well as removable back walls. A lot of details were updated, the weight of the "HOTEL" font was fixed, and a custom base was added:

50300343481_d08c692852_b.jpg

You can see the whole album here, but I'll highlight a couple specific things here:

50299659173_a60ac0e596_b.jpg

50300498727_28c75dd321_b.jpg

50300343246_3dd72a477a_b.jpg

Back in the day, I used to display my saloon alongside the classic LEGO Western sets Sheriff's Lockup and Gold City Junction, but the scale and level of detail didn't really work, so I decided to build a couple more buildings to accompany it. So next up is a bank! Much like the saloon above, this one has modular construction: the roof lifts off and the back wall slides out. Because the interior has a dividing wall, it can still be difficult to reach inside to pose minifigs, so I also made the whole interior removable. This also has a killer feature: robbers can use TNT to blow up part of the back wall to reach the safe, just like the classic Western sets. This time, rather than sliding dynamite into the building by hand to trigger the mechanism, this one is activated by pressing the plunger on the TNT detonator! Oh yeah, and the safe itself has a simple locking mechanism so that the door cannot open until the bars are turned.

50493084427_14f4ded88a_b.jpg

Here's the link to the whole album, and here's a few more pics:

50493084362_2d98c83ae5_b.jpg

50492224063_cfc2e0418f_b.jpg

50493084262_d4c4f10cdf_b.jpg

And finally, one more building to round it all out. I chose to make a trading post, and I wanted to make it very different from the other buildings: more vertical, cooler colors, and more of a "lived-in" or "worn, but not run down" feel. So again you've got modular construction (the floors come apart, the roof comes off, the back walls slide out) plus some unique features. The barn door on the first floor is a functional sliding door that opens to a storage room. The windmill can rotate 360 degrees and its vane can pivot 90 degrees to act as a brake. Also, when its turbine spins, it actuates the water pump at the base!

50565586533_a9725cf3bd_b.jpg

Here's the album link for this one, and here's a few more details:

50566470542_3f74f95a49_b.jpg

50566470522_5ba1ea012a_b.jpg

YFDHRel.gif

Let me know what you think! Some of my friends are cyber-bullying me into submitting the Bank onto LEGO IDEAS, so I'm taking some extra time to fine tune its play features and story elements to get it all polished up, but maybe expect to see that in a week or so.

Edited by Carbohydrates

All the MOCs are terrific!  I love the techniques and details you've put into every part.  The windmill is my favorite.  The furniture is great too.  Thank you for taking such nice pictures creating such a detailed post.

Wow, that looks great! I like the many details: The windmill, the furniture, the dollar sign on the bank and the minifigs.

I cannot think of proper superlatives! These are some of the most well-designed, playability/display-balanced Mocs I’ve seen. Great job! I’m learning so much just looking at these images. Thank you for sharing

Some real fine attention to detail. Love so many of the minibuilds included with these buildings. 

Wild West is another theme that deserves a return!

Well done!

The furniture is crazy! The piano!!!

My favorite minifig is the one standing against the bank is very funny.

Absolutely Nice.

It's a small detail, but that slightly messy bed is absolutely perfect. Lots of really great detail here.

This is super fantastic! Without question one of the best American Frontier/Old West MOCs. The styling of the 'Hotel' sign and creativity with the bank's, the brick build details like mounted buck head and well water hand pump, SNOT'd wood pieces for the walls, very excellent work. That functioning wind pump is awesome as well. Again one of the best and also very wide ranging and complete-feeling western MOCs. Great work!

That is incredible! I would buy them all even if they sold each furniture item separately. Great work! 

Well done. Somehow I am just now coming across this!

Very inspiring builds. It wasn't too long ago I was thinking of doing some sort of western inspired layout since you don't see them too often. This fits the bill! 

I love the details throughout. The removable rear and moving pieces is very clever. I don't think I'll incorporate that in mine, but I'm glad to see how it worked. 

The windmill is awesome. The building shaping is great. And I really like the irregular base. That is something I struggle with. Even in this situation where you have multiple builds on irregular bases and put them near each other, it still feels like a layout compared to (in my mind) everything needs to be plated/tiled to make it cohesive. This proves me wrong!

Well done. I will look back at this for inspiration.

Such kind words! Thanks, everyone. Yes, I'm a big fan of mini furniture builds and such. I cram them into everything I make, and sometimes, entire scenes come from one tiny model. For me, a large MOC is often just an excuse to show off a bunch of smaller ones!

It's pretty cool that some of your larger build ideas come from smaller builds.  My favorite of your furniture builds is the grandfather clock.

Absolutely love this.  So many perfect details on the furniture!  The buildings are fantastic with a perfect level of detail and messy bits.   So many MOCs are over detailed to the point of blurriness these days.  You hit the mark perfectly!  And that windmill...  I am blown away!