67 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Outstanding
    • Above Average
    • Average
    • Below Average
    • Poor

On 11/5/2020 at 9:32 AM, JintaiZ said:

Fantastic review @VBBN! Definitely an outstanding set!!

By the way, how well does it score on the VBBN review scale?

Good question! I'm making some tweaks to that scale, I want to split it to more fairly rank a set based on playability and then on design since sets that tend to excel in one don't do as well in the other. I will update this review once I've figured that out. But, this set is definitely very high on my list in terms of large vehicles; My personal favorite Lego set in terms of design is the UCS '89 Batmobile. While the Ecto 1 has some shortcomings that I mentioned in the cons section, it has a few extra added elements of playability over the Batmobile, so it will definitely be top tier for me.

17 hours ago, R0Sch said:

@VBBN You are not the only one who is pissed off about badly scratched transparent parts. 

Yeah, while I as well doubt that they would ever return to the old material, I certainly hope they find ways to improve upon what they have now, at the very least protecting the parts more. The large windscreen was packaged with the rubber tires and the long gray hoses, which are relatively softer parts yet it still took a beating. 

17 hours ago, Toastie said:

@VBBN very very nice review!!! It helped me a lot. 

Reveal hidden contents

I am not "just" a die-hard Ghostbusters (The original movie fan) it is much worse: It was back in the days when 5 completely insane German folks - 3 "almost" no income students and 2 low income friends - worked hard to assemble some money for a return flight to New York. Plus traveling there on little money. The idea was: Finding as many of the original sites as possible for the Ghostbusters movie in New York and the Blues Brothers movie in Chicago. Well. That was a 14-day trip, I can tell. There was no internet back then - we had AAA maps and needed to talk to people - found the University, the fire station (and got invited in there), Dana's house (and could go in and look around), etc. etc. etc. drove up to Chicago, found the J. Edgar Hover building, got "arrested" there (stuffed into a copying room with two folks who were - well - copying stuff) because we were taking photographs of people paying their taxes, told them what we were doing (with a pack of paper of the "manuscript" for both movies I tried to write-up by listening, with endless repeats), and the two were also so in it. They explained how important all that is what we were doing to the officer showing up as well as to the woman running that place. What happened was that they had a couple to rearrange the whole floor to make it look like in the movie and take photographs. That was America back then ... and I was falling totally in love. Don't ask me what else were doing on that trip ...     

It just does not make "click". I am entirely with @jimmynick. The original IDEAS set, along with the 4 fantastic minifigs just blew me away. It is a perfect match with the fire station. To me this model is a bit made "without love and passion". But that is just me.

Again, thanks for this very nice review.

All the best
Thorsten 

5 hours ago, Toastie said:

No! Here is the thing: Pete Venkman, Ray Stantz, Egon, and Winston Zeddemore are the core of the matter. This is what it is about. What these folks say (think) and do - the way they do that. That's the whole movie. Not the car (nice asset!), not the buildings (wonderful), and surely not the action (cool back then). For me. Only for me.

And then - just the car - doesn't work - again for me. The fire station came with them and Dana and Luis ... in addition to the coolest building, I can think of.

Glad it helped your decision process! I do agree that the set feels lifeless in a way, I mentioned in my review that some features (like the proton gunner seat) feel out of place when you don't have figures that can interact. To be fair, most franchises are more about the character than the vehicle, certainly many people enjoy Batman more for his fighting and story than his actual gadgets, but even then I feel like the '89 Batmobile just feels more "right" than the Ecto-1 does in this style.

Personally, I would rather this set have been considered under the UCS label like the Batmobile, so that we could have gotten a display plaque and maybe the original team of Ghostbusters figures with the set to spice things up.

13 hours ago, WesternOutlaw said:

Who you gonna call?  VBBN.  Excellent review.  This is one large set, esp. compared to the Fiat and VW Bus; nice comparison shots I might add.  Appreciate the videos to see the action.

While I love Ghost Busters and own the Fiat and both VWs, I will probably pass on this set.  This is one that I prefer in minifig scale.  It is still a nice set and probably a fun build.

Thank you! It's definitely hard to show off comparisons when the sets take up this much room on the studio, but my main goal was making sure that the bumpers were actually lined up on the vehicles to properly show differences in length/width. 

3 hours ago, mostlytechnic said:

Speaking of, that's a new steering wheel part, isn't it? 

Minor changes I'd make to be more accurate, based on the trailer - the blue roof lights should be moved outward a stud. And the bright blue hoses running down the side next to the ladder look almost black in the trailer. I think they're just filthy, but those should have been black or at least dark blue IMHO. Perhaps in the movie they get cleaned up and are brighter blue? But in the trailer, they're dark. 

Thank you, and thanks for the info on the steering mechanism! You might be right on the wheel piece being new, I'll take a look shortly at it's product number and do some searching.

You are right that the blue tubes are much darker on the real model, my one short of the instructions gives a good look at that. One upside is, I've seen a lot of people that are happy the rust is stickers so that they can revert this into the more "classic" Ecto-1, having those brighter blue tubes would definitely make that process easier as well.

Thanks to everyone so far for your comments and participation in the poll!

3 hours ago, mostlytechnic said:

......And the bright blue hoses running down the side next to the ladder look almost black in the trailer. I think they're just filthy, but those should have been black or at least dark blue IMHO. Perhaps in the movie they get cleaned up and are brighter blue? But in the trailer, they're dark. 

Car has aged in the new movie and the hoses are essentially black.  However, hoses blue in the original movie.  I'll likely leave the rust stickers off, so the blue hoses will do nicely for me.

Fantastic review! Thank you for sharing all the goodies inside the set. And I can't wait to get my hands on some of these pieces once they hit B&P!

I’m glad that LEGO made a new Ghostbusters set while sharing the license with Playmobil back in 2017, and I really do hope LEGO will consider an 18+ version of the DeLorean Time Machine from Back to the Future and/or the Mystery Machine from Scooby-Doo next!

Loving this set, Must have it. Great they used a two spoke steering wheel, they could have used the existing one, but they didn't.

Clear backed stickers and trans clear glass pieces are a joke tho. But it's good that the rust are stickers, just leave them off.

Yeah, gonna leave those rust stickers off

But still need to buy some other sets first, like the Harley, A-wing, Batwing,...

VBBN: Mind-blowing review!  Thank you for taking what must have been many, many hours to bring this review to the boards. 

Day 1 purchase, without hesitation.  This set is once again ringing all the GB member berry bells of childhood!  I remember constructing my own GB Halloween costume in grade school - it had all the fixins right down to the shoulder patch.  The proton pack was crude, but I was proud of it! :head_back:  I'll leave the rust stickers off, and I really don't care if the new movie is even released.  This classic vehicle is a crown jewel of film history and I can't WAIT to rip that box open!!  10/10, thank you LEGO for a slam dunk!

On 11/12/2020 at 9:54 AM, Dragunov2 said:

Very sweet!

Just need to add that new windshield to finish the model!

8 hours ago, Dragunov2 said:

I wonder if we can mod this to the original one without the need of extra parts...

Yes, just move the ladder to the other side and then bingo.

The model look great but I hate that LEGO is so inconsistent about  their car scales. They are just over the place nothing match to each other :/ why they couldnt make it in1989 Batmobila UCS set? 

I think everyone is waiting for Delorean now. I am curious what scale they come up with next time...

@VBBN , @Boettner Builds Here is how my windows look like... unacceptable. Will call customer service tomorrow morning. Problem is, I'm afraid the replacement parts will come in even worse condition, cause my experience so far is they throw everything in a zip bag together with all other parts and that gets shipped in an oversized padded envelope by standard mail.
img_20201124_191705950.jpg
img_20201124_191913224.jpg
img_20201124_191831102.jpg

2 hours ago, R0Sch said:

@VBBN , @Boettner Builds Here is how my windows look like... unacceptable. Will call customer service tomorrow morning. Problem is, I'm afraid the replacement parts will come in even worse condition, cause my experience so far is they throw everything in a zip bag together with all other parts and that gets shipped in an oversized padded envelope by standard mail.

Yeah I requested a replacement for the windshield, will definitely report in on how that looks once it arrives (though I didn't request any other window pieces, I'm hoping it being by itself may help. Then again, it may just be sitting in a big bin of windshields at the factory, thus causing everything to be a mess, we will see)

2 hours ago, R0Sch said:

unacceptable

Absolutely!

Well, remember the good'ol'days? When delicate or simply "nice" pieces were carefully placed into separate compartments in the box? Even showcased this way? OK, that was environmentally unfriendly, as you needed this "molded" plastic stuff. However, LEGO is mostly ABS anyway and on the environmentally friendly scale, ABS is a bit further down. So making things cheaper seems to be another big driver: Just throw everything into a big - often way too big cardboard box. However: Trans-stuff is >far< more delicate - as it is not ABS. Manufacturing such large trans pieces is a true accomplishment. But then, down the line in the saving money department, they don't know about that - and throw these pieces as well into the big box. Altogether with ABS XbyZs. Of course, the delicate pieces get damaged ... what else?

Well maybe you can just take it as in: "Everybody can relax, I found a car. Needs some suspension work and shocks, and, uh, breaks, brake pads, lining, steering box, transmission rear and - ..." ... The windshield of that car was certainly badly scratched and even not on the list ... 

(Or even better: "Whow! This place is great! When can we move in? You gotta try this pole. I'm gonna get my stuff. Hey, we should stay here - tonight - sleep here. You know, to try it out.")

"Ghostbusters" is a way of life ...

Best wishes,
Thorsten

My windshield was even worse! And ALL of my window pieces (except the 2 small ones) were scratched too. I requested all new ones. If they come scratched I’ll request new ones again, until LEGO makes it right. 

Of course the windshield is not available to order through CS... would have been too easy to have spare parts for a recent and popular set. Or the complaints were so numerous that they already "sold" them all.