Klaus-Dieter

Chinese New Year Sets - Rumors and Discussion

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, Pchan1983 said:

Not sure if parade is really CNY, it does happen but more of a westernized thing

12 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I am not a Chinese expert so I really don’t know anything about parade in China or in USA Chinatowns.

There's a Chinese New Year parade in Hong Kong with floats (actually TLC has already taken part with an own float as well there). So it is not an event that you might only encounter e.g. in San Francisco, but it is still quite specific.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Haha, looks like I got I what i wanted. :laugh: That new headwear is exactly what I was hoping for. 

lol yeah. That rabbit headgear is really interesting! However, I’m bummed out that there is stil no panda mold yet. Oh well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but the Lego website says that a Lunar New Year VIP Add On Pack is coming soon, presumably with the release of the new CNY sets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wooster said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but the Lego website says that a Lunar New Year VIP Add On Pack is coming soon, presumably with the release of the new CNY sets.

Where did you find on the lego webpage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Where did you find on the lego webpage?

In the Offers section - LEGO® Deals & Promo Codes | Official LEGO® Shop US

The description for the Fun & Funky pack says:

Quote

Add a little extra magic to any build with a Fun and Funky VIP Add On Pack. It’s your VIP gift with purchases over $50, valid 11/1-11/18 and 11/29-12/31. Watch for the next pack – Lunar New Year – coming soon!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2022 at 3:28 AM, Pchan1983 said:

well it's new but it's pushing the boundary of CNY.  even last year ice festivals already pushing it a bit.  I think they went for one set as decoration items with no minifigs because they couldn't figure out what other events they haven't do yet on time.  Because a fireworks boat with a whole fireworks display will be too many pieces to fit their target price range.  I think the up coming years, if the sets sell well and the theme continues, we probably will get more decoration type sets than scenes featuring minifigs.

For me the Ice festival has a great link with the chinese new year. When I was living in Beijing we used to go ice skating on lakes during the new year break. I am sure there are more northern cities that have this. :)

But yeah it looks like that they are running out of ideas for new sets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting a better look at the parade makes me like it more. The slight price increase is driving me away from the other set though. I like them, just not $90 like them. They were already going to be a hard sell at $80. I did recently see this year’s sets on sale, in the case of the Traditions set it was $65. Maybe I’ll grab it if it hits the sale price. 

Now....let’s see this Add-on Pack! :moar: If it’s anything like the Asian Xtra pack...I’m gonna want a lot of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion, running out of CNY set ideas is like running out of Christmas ideas.  They can keep this up forever. Take any building or event, design it with a festive atmosphere including fireworks and lanterns, and bingo, you have a CNY set.  

I personally hope they get all the way through the Lunar cycle (5 down, 7 to go).  This is one of the Lego highlights each year for me.

Edited by wooster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wooster said:

I personally hope they get all the way through the Lunar cycle (5 down, 7 to go).  This is one of the Lego highlights each year for me.

Or CMF to have 7 animal costumes and give desginers break? :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Getting a better look at the parade makes me like it more. The slight price increase is driving me away from the other set though. I like them, just not $90 like them. They were already going to be a hard sell at $80. I did recently see this year’s sets on sale, in the case of the Traditions set it was $65. Maybe I’ll grab it if it hits the sale price. 

Now....let’s see this Add-on Pack! :moar: If it’s anything like the Asian Xtra pack...I’m gonna want a lot of them. 

Agreed. They look nice, although not worth $80, but I'd get them on sale. I hope the money tree is reasonably priced as that's more appealing.

Definitely like the parade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do like the rabbit parade set, and it's just 1 minifig set for the year but I'm ok with it, it's unique enough imo.

2024 probably will be a bit more spectacular as they can do a lot with year of the Dragon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I do like the rabbit parade set, and it's just 1 minifig set for the year but I'm ok with it, it's unique enough imo.

Agreed. I always prefer minifigure-scale set that includes minifigures so I I’ll get that parade for sure. But other CNY sets look very neat tho. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2022 at 1:43 PM, wooster said:

In my opinion, running out of CNY set ideas is like running out of Christmas ideas.  They can keep this up forever. Take any building or event, design it with a festive atmosphere including fireworks and lanterns, and bingo, you have a CNY set.  

I personally hope they get all the way through the Lunar cycle (5 down, 7 to go).  This is one of the Lego highlights each year for me.

I wonder if they'll continue after the the zodiac is completed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

I wonder if they'll continue after the the zodiac is completed

I mean, I don't see why not. Not all of the Chinese New Year sets are zodiac-themed, and it's not like the holiday will stop being celebrated just because Lego's run a complete cycle of it. Plus by the time Lego gets to the end, the aftermarket prices on the earlier ones will likely be absurd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2022 at 7:28 PM, Pchan1983 said:

well it's new but it's pushing the boundary of CNY.  even last year ice festivals already pushing it a bit.  I think they went for one set as decoration items with no minifigs because they couldn't figure out what other events they haven't do yet on time.  Because a fireworks boat with a whole fireworks display will be too many pieces to fit their target price range.  I think the up coming years, if the sets sell well and the theme continues, we probably will get more decoration type sets than scenes featuring minifigs.

Honestly, they could've done an ice festival with ice castles/ sculptures. I believe they have that in Northern China every year where the ice sculptures are all lit up. Perhaps Lego thought it will compete too much with their Frozen castle. LOL

 

On 11/7/2022 at 11:43 AM, wooster said:

In my opinion, running out of CNY set ideas is like running out of Christmas ideas.  They can keep this up forever. Take any building or event, design it with a festive atmosphere including fireworks and lanterns, and bingo, you have a CNY set.  

I personally hope they get all the way through the Lunar cycle (5 down, 7 to go).  This is one of the Lego highlights each year for me.

Ditto.

I just hope they keep making minifig-builds instead of decorations.

On 11/9/2022 at 1:39 PM, DBlegonerd7 said:

Hmm interesing that CNY Money Tree set will be available on Christmas Day?

So you will have it by the time CNY comes?

Sometimes, I never understood why some Christmas promos (gwp) would be out in December and by the time you got the item in the mail, Christmas is over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hikouki said:

So you will have it by the time CNY comes?

Sometimes, I never understood why some Christmas promos (gwp) would be out in December and by the time you got the item in the mail, Christmas is over.

But Display and Parade sets are scheduled to be released on January 10 while Money Tree on December 25? It s’t make sense to me. 

You may make a good point about Christmas GWP/promos. However, most o them are offered throughout November. I would understand Christmas is a busiest holiday season for mailing industry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2022 at 2:24 PM, Robert8 said:

I wonder if they'll continue after the the zodiac is completed

I actually thought of this idea just now as I was posting on another thread about the long-lost mould for the goats.

Lego could perhaps come up with a CNY set featuring the animals of the Chinese zodiac!

The goat is the only one missing, if you use one of the chickens in place of a rooster. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, hikouki said:

I actually thought of this idea just now as I was posting on another thread about the long-lost mould for the goats.

Lego could perhaps come up with a CNY set featuring the animals of the Chinese zodiac!

The goat is the only one missing, if you use one of the chickens in place of a rooster. LOL

I got sick of waiting for Lego to make a new Goat. They know it's the most demanded animal but they refuse to give us one, so I just ordered loads of the knock-off Goats that are indistinguishable from Lego Goats apart from not saying Lego on the moulds. They come in more colours and designs too.

Lego Disney Princess has at least one Rooster mould.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
photo_2022-12-27_10-52-39 (7)

 

 

Anybody know when/how the Lunar New Year add on pack/polybag will be distributed? I expected it to be coming in January

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those in Europe at least, the lunar new year sets appear to have been made unavailable until 10 January. I contacted customer service and they said it wasn’t a mistake and is due to warehouse issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2022 at 6:29 PM, PhoenixBuilder said:

For those in Europe at least, the lunar new year sets appear to have been made unavailable until 10 January. I contacted customer service and they said it wasn’t a mistake and is due to warehouse issues. 

It showed Jan 10 for me as well, but after midnight Jan 1st, it was available for ordering.

However, now it's back at Jan 10th again.

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.