Klaus-Dieter

Chinese New Year Sets - Rumors and Discussion

Hello everybody! :classic:

Putting the information on stonewars as well as on a new instagram post together, there will be again two new Chinese New Year sets in 2021:

80106: Story of "Nian" - 79,99 Euro

80107: New Year Lantern Festival - 119,99 Euro

Since I liked the house, the dragon boat race, the temple fair and the lion dance very much, I'm really lookign forward to them and I hope that (official) pics of these two sets will show up soon!

And what about you?

Sounds like unusual, but interesting choices. Looking forward to see how they turn out.

Edited by JintaiZ

I wonder what the story of Nian will be. Hopefully not a similar one to the existing Dragon Dance set, this time for a worldwide audience.

They are out!

New ox mask

While not as great as the 2020 ones, they are still stunning

Edited by Robert8

The big on house is ok but the garden one ... must have.  I think might have to get multiples.  Seems like this one doesn't have all printed like this year's one.  I notice some of them looks like stickers.  

I've always thought the Chinese New Year sets were very well designed, but I haven't purchased any yet. That garden looks beautiful, though, and it might be the first set I pick up from this theme. I can see it looking wonderful next to the modular buildings (especially the Palace Cinema) or even somehow integrated into Ninjago City!

Wow! Another pair of amazing sets! Love the prints & new colors. The green mops, black decorative dragon heads, printed trans red minifig heads. That garden is beautiful! I need these now! 

Okay wow that garden . . it is literally built to go with Modular buildings. That’s . . huh. That’s not what I expected at all. It’s pretty gorgeous though. Definite maybe from me, and that’s mostly because I’m not sure I have space or budget to get it. 

And the . . um . . winter firework castle? I don’t really know what to make of this one and I think I’ll need to see the interior before making up my mind. The big lion is great, but it’s . . honestly sort of plain. Just a lot of outdoor space to pose minifigures and the big lion without a lot of, well, detail. It’s definitely the less interesting of the two but it still looks neat, albeit somewhat incomplete personally. Though it’ll definitely look good with the Winter Village sets. Maybe it’s some kind of Chinese New Year/Winter Village crossover? That’s kind of a cool idea, having sets that blend the design elements of two recurring themes.

3 minutes ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

Okay wow that garden . . it is literally built to go with Modular buildings. That’s . . huh. That’s not what I expected at all. It’s pretty gorgeous though. Definite maybe from me, and that’s mostly because I’m not sure I have space or budget to get it. 

And the . . um . . winter firework castle? I don’t really know what to make of this one and I think I’ll need to see the interior before making up my mind. The big lion is great, but it’s . . honestly sort of plain. Just a lot of outdoor space to pose minifigures and the big lion without a lot of, well, detail. It’s definitely the less interesting of the two but it still looks neat, albeit somewhat incomplete personally. Though it’ll definitely look good with the Winter Village sets. Maybe it’s some kind of Chinese New Year/Winter Village crossover? That’s kind of a cool idea, having sets that blend the design elements of two recurring themes.

It’s the story of Nian(amazing the things you learn from LEGO:grin:). It’s about scaring away a dragon with fireworks & such before it terrorized & ate villagers. The story helps the appeal of the set I think. 

The garden is amazing, and the Duplo house is quite impressive too.

5 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

It’s the story of Nian(amazing the things you learn from LEGO:grin:). It’s about scaring away a dragon with fireworks & such before it terrorized & ate villagers. The story helps the appeal of the set I think. 

Oh, really? Okay that’s cool, and also explains why the animation I found seems to demonstrate Ox Mascot Guy as some kind of superhero scaring away the . . we’re sure that’s a dragon, right? I can kind of see it but it looks way too similar to the lions from 2020.

All the torsos seem to be new prints, right?

Also that rocking horse element...  is it new? Does it work for minifigures?

The garden set includes a kid with a monkie kid shirt, nice touch. The wall story set looks gorgeous and is a definite buy for me!

Dang, these keep getting better and better :wub: And I see they still rely on banana pieces in funny colours, has to be a running gag among the design team by now :laugh:

The garden set is amazing! Interested to see if the Ninjago City Garden set has a similar vibe? They’d be releasing so close to each other

1 hour ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

Oh, really? Okay that’s cool, and also explains why the animation I found seems to demonstrate Ox Mascot Guy as some kind of superhero scaring away the . . we’re sure that’s a dragon, right? I can kind of see it but it looks way too similar to the lions from 2020.

Part dragon, part unicorn.

If anyone’s wondering, as far as I can tell, the Nian set has a footprint of about 42x22 studs. That’s gonna be tricky to fit into my layout. 

Edited by Fenghuang0296

3 hours ago, Modal said:

The garden set is amazing! Interested to see if the Ninjago City Garden set has a similar vibe? They’d be releasing so close to each other

Exactly my thoughts. Really impatient to see behind that silhouette image of GoNC.

The overall aesthetic and details in the Spring Lantern garden are exquisite though. Check out the trans light blue water tiles with printed (?) or stickered koi.

D5921-E5-F-1-AC3-4-ECA-895-E-C7977977852

Edited by Lucarex

1 hour ago, Lucarex said:

The overall aesthetic and details in the Spring Lantern garden are exquisite though. Check out the trans light blue water tiles with printed (?) or stickered koi.

I'd assume printed since it's a repeating tile, and at least last year's (2020) sets were 100% printed as well , Dragon Boat had stickers but that was a 2019 set.

Overall so far I like those sets even more then the 2020 sets, even the snow/wall.

Main difference between those sets compared to last, is that there's a significant area to put figures, while the last sets were more sprawling, small builds.

Also great minifigure prints and colors, some printed arms and legs.

And the builds still are the right size to look nice next to 3-in-1 scaled buildings (I don't have Modulars), and Ninjago sets.

Edited by TeriXeri