Jcreations912

Harry Potter | Memories of Home | LEGO Ideas contest entry

This was my entry for the latest LEGO Ideas Harry Potter competition, which won runner up.

resize:800:450

In this entry, I have recreated a diorama of Hogwarts and the grounds, and filled it with many of Harry's memories. This model was a lot of fun to make, especially because it is built in 3 different scales. One of the big challenges building the model was the angle the castle is place at; but I'm quite pleased with how it turned out!

You can probably see that the features of the Hogwarts grounds are not place correctly - but I have used a bit of artistic license to make a great diorama, with all Harry's memories.

Some cool features of the model to look out for:
  • Helmets for roof tops
  • A wing for smoke
  • A frog for the dragons head

Thanks for reading! What do you think of the moc?

Wow, amazing build!! You really captured the details well.

Edited by JintaiZ

This was really special! The sense of perspective is beautifully captured. Thank you for sharing it, you can just see how much thought you put into it. While I tend to be a bit of a purist, I thoroughly enjoy watching the decision making process that goes into your "artistic license". (And it *is* artistic.) I like the choice to shift Hagrid's hut closer to the foreground. If any part of the castle has the emotional resonance of "home" it must be where Hagrid is. (I know Sirius is the godfather, but in every way that counts, Hagrid was the unsung family member a godfather should have been.) The frog as the dragon's head made me chuckle, and I *loved* the squid tentacles sticking up from the lake. 

If the muse ever visits, I'd love to see your take on the winged boar at the gates. 

15 hours ago, krimimimi said:

This was really special! The sense of perspective is beautifully captured. Thank you for sharing it, you can just see how much thought you put into it. While I tend to be a bit of a purist, I thoroughly enjoy watching the decision making process that goes into your "artistic license". (And it *is* artistic.) I like the choice to shift Hagrid's hut closer to the foreground. If any part of the castle has the emotional resonance of "home" it must be where Hagrid is. (I know Sirius is the godfather, but in every way that counts, Hagrid was the unsung family member a godfather should have been.) The frog as the dragon's head made me chuckle, and I *loved* the squid tentacles sticking up from the lake. 

If the muse ever visits, I'd love to see your take on the winged boar at the gates. 

Wow. I really appreciate your kind compliment!! Being only a teen builder, I'm really pleased how much you like my model, and the thought I put into it! The boars are a very good idea, but for the competition, I moved on from the gates (which I built first) too quickly to have time to add boars! But I'll see what I can do, as I haven't taken it apart yet! Thanks again.