jrs

Turntable 2 x 2 Plate (3679) Legal? uses

LEGO 3679

Two Questions:

Would you consider this a proper building technique for MOC building?

Would LEGO consider this a legal building technique?

My Thoughts:

I am personally hesitant to use this in a build as it feels wrong to have the small sprong sticking out of the bottom. Also because it's so thin there are strain concerns. However connectivity-wise, the stud hubs are the full .6 stud size and not chopped at the corners like almost all 2x2 circular plates' studs (4032, 2654, even 2655) which allows connecting at all four corners (as shown above). It's dimension make it unique. Excluding the middle sprong which runs .25 studs long with a width of .4, it provides a flat .1 stud thick platform with connecting studs on top. Also it has a .8 stud diameter with potential for positioning a connected piece .4 studs onto a flat surface. 

There is the argument that 3679 and 3680 are meant as one piece and shouldn't be used independently. In most sets today though they are packaged individually and connected later. I don't have an issue with using 3680 independently as it feels about as strong as a normal tile piece. However, 3679 just feels so flimsy when you hold it (though it is quite strong for it's thickness) plus it wasn't designed initially to function as an inverted connector. 

Conclusion:

I'm still hesitant to, but because of the unique uses it proposes I'm leaning towards using 3679 in my building but mostly just for small bearing decoration uses. Since 3679 and 3680 are sold disconnected one could argue LEGO would be okay with the above use, but I would still guess they would say it is illegal. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone knows of a official LEGO set where either 3679 or 3680 are used independently without the other present. 

12 minutes ago, jrs said:

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone knows of a official LEGO set where either 3679 or 3680 are used independently without the other present. 

79003: An Unexpected Gathering uses 3680 purely as decoration for the windows, with no turntables inserted.

https://brickset.com/sets/79003-1/An-Unexpected-Gathering

Both Taj Mahal sets use even 208 of them in the set, as floor tiles.

Edited by TeriXeri

I won't consider it illegal; it's simply creative!!

8 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

79003: An Unexpected Gathering uses 3680 purely as decoration for the windows, with no turntables inserted.

As do many MOCs.

I don't think it is illegal, just not that useful due to lack of strength. If you want a surface with that offset, why not use it on larger plates where strength will be better, unless you want a tiled floor look. It is not so different to using a boat stud.

Would you consider this a proper building technique for MOC building?

One question .. one answer. Why not?
I've seen so much creations with parts use for whole other things than it was ment to be for. Like fences in gothic windows, all kind of parts in spacecrafts, looking 'technical. Real cool.
I don't know what's the meaning of that turntable but who cares, if it works.

I mean, nothing about the connection itself is "illegal". However, in an actual set design it would probably be considered too weak unless the parts on top were also reinforced in some other way. There are plenty of ways that "legal" connection methods can still prove insufficient when it comes to making a sturdy and resilient model.

On 11/8/2020 at 1:51 PM, Lyichir said:

I mean, nothing about the connection itself is "illegal". However, in an actual set design it would probably be considered too weak unless the parts on top were also reinforced in some other way. There are plenty of ways that "legal" connection methods can still prove insufficient when it comes to making a sturdy and resilient model.

Agreed Lyichir. As important as the standards "not breaking pieces" and "playability for children" are for the LEGO company as the method of determining legal and illegal techniques, "whether a connection type fits both the form and function of a model" stands as a better test for the average builder to evaluate if a connection type is appropriate to use in a build. Techniques used in a microscale build may not work well in a minifig scaled build and vice versa. Also, you may create/find a great looking build but if it is too weak to even touch without breaking, frustrations during assembly may sour your opinion of the build.

On a personal note, the wording “sturdy and resilient” created for me, the perfect mental reference point capturing the essence behind what’s required from a LEGO model. Thank you for using those words!

On 11/4/2020 at 2:26 AM, MAB said:

I don't think it is illegal, just not that useful due to lack of strength.

It is not so different to using a boat stud.

Somewhat. Its uses do stack up pretty evenly with the boat stud, if not better. Strengthwise, neither are really designed to connect large amounts of weight as neither are able to be reinforced easily or if they are it's from the bottom and at that point you might as just well use a 2x2 round plate. 3679 actually provides stronger stud connections as it doesn't have cut corners like the boat stud. The boat stud could not perform the above pictured connection. 3679's thin nature and possibility to break isn't a big issue as most applications will include less force than the stud connections on 3679, definitely not enough to hurt the piece. 

Both have thinner edges if you need to avoid some form of overlap though 3679 would be more versatile in this aspect because its thinner at the edges, thinner for a longer distance, and only .8 studs in diameter rather than 1. Both extend .4 studs at their thickest points.

3679's big potential for use comes from the ability to create such thin yet sturdy connections for mostly decorative uses. 

For example, thin looking connection such as the wings in Inthert's Naboo Starfighter

Naboo N-1 Starfighter V2 (Breakdown 1)

or thin connections in tight spaces like in anothergol's at-st. (the upper two are obvious, but the lower two are a better example of why only 3679 would work)

48215458467_80e7e6cc2c_z_d.jpg

If you want a surface with that offset, why not use it on larger plates where strength will be better, unless you want a tiled floor look. 

Definitely if you are just looking for this offset it makes most sense to just put it on a larger plate where strength won't be an issue, as long as that fits your model's design.