saabfan

Motorised Narrow Gauge Trains

This is an update of my motorised narrow gauge trains originally built in 2014. The basic concept remains the same but a lot of the details have changed. The updates include better durability, better looks and the use of LEGO's current Powered Up system allowing the trains to be controlled via a Bluetooth device.

50532745712_a668088e52_k.jpg

50531865863_0ce2d144b0_k.jpg

The mechanism:

50531866783_249053e5b0_k.jpg

50531866553_ea90916a1d_k.jpg

For more detailed images of the trains feel free to view the album on flickr.

You can check out a video of them in action here:

2 minutes ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

Just superb. Out of curiosity, why did you decide to power the wheels on the battery car? Was the loco alone not enough to pull such short trains?

Thanks a lot. Exactly, even though the trains are quite short most of the weight is in the battery car so it had to be driven as well. I reckon in this configuration it can pull about 3 unpowered cars until it slows down significantly.

I don't often ask, but any chance you'd be willing to share the design for the gearing with us all? I work in narrow gauges a lot, and it's really difficult to get something running this smoothly in the 4w.

If not, totally cool - I'm the first to acknowledge protection of design. But I figured I'd ask, given the quality here.

OOOOOH what a pair of beautiful little gems!!!

The way you managed the whole transmission is amazing :laugh:

Great great great work. You deserve the first page, in my opinion!

41 minutes ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

I don't often ask, but any chance you'd be willing to share the design for the gearing with us all? I work in narrow gauges a lot, and it's really difficult to get something running this smoothly in the 4w.

If not, totally cool - I'm the first to acknowledge protection of design. But I figured I'd ask, given the quality here.

I'll think about it. I might release instructions on Rebrickable at some point. Just to clarify though, due to the way it's built this can't go over any custom crossings and switches since the mechanism extends below the parts of the wheels that are actually riding on the tracks. I have a different mechanism that would be able to go over switches and even operates a bit more smoothly still but it's also more bulky and harder to conceal in a train. I think it would only work for a modern train design.

1 minute ago, Paperinik77pk said:

OOOOOH what a pair of beautiful little gems!!!

The way you managed the whole transmission is amazing :laugh:

Great great great work. You deserve the first page, in my opinion!

Thank you very much! These trains are a product of lots of trial and error over a period of 6 years. ;)

4 minutes ago, saabfan said:

I'll think about it. I might release instructions on Rebrickable at some point. Just to clarify though, due to the way it's built this can't go over any custom crossings and switches since the mechanism extends below the parts of the wheels that are actually riding on the tracks. I have a different mechanism that would be able to go over switches and even operates a bit more smoothly still but it's also more bulky and harder to conceal in a train. I think it would only work for a modern train design.

Thank you very much! These trains are a product of lots of trial and error over a period of 6 years. ;)

Are there even 4w switches? 

3 hours ago, saabfan said:

Thanks a lot. Exactly, even though the trains are quite short most of the weight is in the battery car so it had to be driven as well. I reckon in this configuration it can pull about 3 unpowered cars until it slows down significantly.

Surely better traction with wheels powered underneath the battery container.

You should also consider to remove the traction O-rings from the wheels NOT powered - their drag in curves slows the train down and you need the simple wheels to run as smooth as they can.

Just now, Ashi Valkoinen said:

Surely better traction with wheels powered underneath the battery container.

You should also consider to remove the traction O-rings from the wheels NOT powered - their drag in curves slows the train down and you need the simple wheels to run as smooth as they can.

All wheels with O rings are driven. The unpowered cars just use the 3.2mm small train wheels.

Okay, didn't what you have under the second car. 

I went mad two years ago poweing my Siemens-SGP ULF tram (two wheels were driven, 6 running), and the tram started to operate when I removed those O-rings from wheels not driven. 

On the other hand - your design is the most well-packed I have seen in years, those locos are extremly small, very nice job on them. 

I dont need this. I made a custom motor that uses the same kind of setup as a regular official train motor, but made thinner by 2 studs. and it has the pf plug.

I remember being heavily inspired by your old version to have a go at motorised narrow gauge, with admittedly mixed results (don't think the train in my avatar really properly worked!).

It's good to see an updated PoweredUp version - I really like the overall concept you've created, and the trains you've built on the chassis look perfect. I might have to give it another go one day!

Amazing, am I correct, and you've also managed to squeeze in the colour sensor?!?

Edited by Stux

On 11/2/2020 at 2:24 PM, Ashi Valkoinen said:

Okay, didn't what you have under the second car. 

I went mad two years ago poweing my Siemens-SGP ULF tram (two wheels were driven, 6 running), and the tram started to operate when I removed those O-rings from wheels not driven. 

On the other hand - your design is the most well-packed I have seen in years, those locos are extremly small, very nice job on them. 

Thanks a lot! I can imagine it must be difficult to build a ULF tram.

On 11/2/2020 at 6:42 PM, Feuer Zug said:

Compact and functional! The years you spent engineering this gem seem worth the payoff. Kudos.

Thank you very much.

21 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

I remember being heavily inspired by your old version to have a go at motorised narrow gauge, with admittedly mixed results (don't think the train in my avatar really properly worked!).

It's good to see an updated PoweredUp version - I really like the overall concept you've created, and the trains you've built on the chassis look perfect. I might have to give it another go one day!

Thank you, I'm glad my original trains inspired you. Tbh the old versions didn't perform all that well. Due to the way they were built the mechanism would fall apart after running for a short time. This version has much better durability now.

19 hours ago, Stux said:

Amazing, am I correct, and you've also managed to squeeze in the colour sensor?!?

Thank you, yes the postal car of the steam train also has a colour sensor that can detect coloured tiles on the tracks. Due to the distance from the tracks it can unfortunately only reliably detect red tiles.

5 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Unbelievable work, amazing!

Thank you very much!

On 11/2/2020 at 1:02 PM, saabfan said:

For these kind of trains it's a continuous work!!! I also saw the big tan gear as big as the back of the wheel - but I can understand it's a mess using smaller ones and having a sturdy chassis :sweet:

Ciao!

Davide