Elusys Ra Arwal

[MOC] Forbidden Island

7 hours ago, Elusys Ra Arwal said:

I am sorry I haven't been around in a long while, but I've got a lot of work to do for my last tests and the thesis I'm writing

Thank you for taking some time to drop by the forum and saying hi! :pir-huzzah2:

7 hours ago, Elusys Ra Arwal said:

I will also share new pictures of forbidden island incorporating some of your suggestions. 

This would be fantastic - hope you find the time to do so.

On 12/6/2020 at 4:14 PM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Amazing creation - combining the old pirate ideas with the new possibilities.

And: You have included the monkey! :thumbup:

Thank you, I wish we had a new movable monkey with a more detailed face and maybe in a slightly smaller size, but still I like the old monkey a lot, more now than when I was a kid. The old parrots are also a bit more detailed compared to the new ones, though the new colours are nice and a bit more vibrant. 

On 12/13/2020 at 11:55 AM, spall01 said:

Wow, what a absolutely amazing MOC. Is there a trap in the house to the Jail, like the original? :-)

In my childhood, the forbidden island and the Eldorado Fortress were my absolute favorite models . 

@Elusys Ra ArwalWhat do you think, would it be possible one day to buy the .io-File or maybe the instruction on Rebrickable to make a dream come true and build it ourselves ? 

Glad you like it, forbidden island was the first big base I got when I was a kid, after I got the mighty BSB. Anyway in this version there's no trap-door in the house. I omitted it because I didn't know how to make it drop quickly and nicely enough, and keep the broken wooden floor. I am going to upload the instructions on Rebrickable and make a link to the first post. Though not very soon because I have to create the instructions first and being the model composed of many parts and more than 3k pieces, it takes some time to organize. But as soon as I have more time I'll make that happen!

On 12/17/2020 at 11:28 AM, CapOnBOBS said:

This is so great! I saw the title and thought it was just inspired. I was looking through for a few minutes before I said, "Oh, Right, The Bridge!" It is so well put together and so nicely detailed that at first glance I didn't catch just how much you had stuck to the original and it added a whole new layer of awesomeness when I saw it.  

Thank you very much! I loved making it. the bridge was a bit challenging at the beginning, but then it became quite simple to build. I also thought to add in the temple area and make it look like they used it to build upon their cabin and store loot and use spare stones to make the prison. My only regret is that I didn't include a set of stairs that goes from the cabin to the area below it, so I have to revise it and put it in because it is unpractical to go all over the bridge and then in the water to reach the other side! oops! :pir-huzzah2:

On 12/31/2020 at 7:27 PM, Hans1961 said:

very nice !!!

Thanks!

On 1/6/2021 at 11:59 PM, Robin_IV said:

Wow. What a wonderful job! 

I love this island. Just perfect! I do especially love the little cabin. :pir-huzzah2:

A lot of work went into this. :classic:

Many long nights went into it. It seems weird but the creation of the islands using the round shapes was the trickiest part, for some reason... 

On 1/8/2021 at 10:25 AM, Seaber said:

Keep coming back to this for more! I'm going to try my hand at making something as good as this when I'm reunited with my Lego after lockdown :) 

The temple part is my absolute favourite, and that's the best cannon design I've seen! 

Thanks! I love those little cannons too, the downside is that they can't be places on a flat surface because of a brick to hold everything together. Instead places between studs, it fits in them and should work fine, until I don't find a better way to make it. you can check this little problem by going to the instructions I posted on here. 

On 1/31/2021 at 8:12 PM, mysiopysio84 said:

Hello man,

Can You give me hint in what program did You make such a beautiful project?

Cheers

I used stud.io that you can download here https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/download.page

On 2/3/2021 at 9:43 PM, TomSkippy said:

I had an idea to try updating Forbidden Island, now I have no motivation, this might be one of the best mocs I've seen. I have only one suggestion: Build a gibbet, put a dead soldier in it and strap the old bandit's 'Keep Out' sign on him... 'Forbidden Island' really needs a warning/keep out sign.

I really loved your idea and after I got some spare time, I made not one but two gibbets! You can check them out in the next post! Thanks for the great idea!

On 3/4/2021 at 6:57 PM, darksideofluis said:

Hi @Elusys Ra Arwal, I really want to build this to my daughter but I really lack your talent...

would you be kind enough to share part list and instructions with me?

you’d make a family happy!

Thanks!

I will make the instructions available to purchase on rebrickable sometime in the following months, because I need to finish school tests and theses first! 

On 3/14/2021 at 7:32 PM, NOD said:

That looks great. I particularly like the stone and wood house with the suspension bridge.

Thanks! I think I will work on some more temple structures in the future

On 3/15/2021 at 2:54 AM, Cousarmy0001 said:

This is such a high quality, faithful recreation of the original.  There's a considerable upgrade to detail in this, but it retains the classic elements and in appropriate proportions.  I like that the mast has been moved, and the ladders positioned so they can be used from the ground level as well as the upper floor.

Thank you! I've seen some other updates to the original model, and I love them all. recently there was a post on here where a guy used the parts of barracuda bay to make forbidden island, and I found it a great idea. When I started working on this model, I thought to put another mast,  broken one, half fallen into the water and next to it the "bones" of a hull of a ship, but then I thought it was too much reminiscent of the barracuda bay concept, so I left it out. 

Here there is a small update to Forbidden Island. Thanks to the brilliant suggestion of @TomSkippy to insert a gibbet with a "keep out" sign and an hanging soldier, I managed to create two different gibbets, one on each islet. 

MOC - Forbidden Island 2_21a

In the picture above and the one right below, you can see the main gibbet. I used the rocks as a base on where to place this structure with the sign and the hanging soldier. I was considering on making it longer to fit a couple more skeletons, but then it looked not nice and proportionate enough, so I left it as is.

MOC - Forbidden Island 2_23a

Then I thought I could use also the lower yard of the mast to hang another skeleton, so I added new cord to make it stay in a higher position and hand another soldier with the keep out sign. 

MOC - Forbidden Island 2_24aMOC - Forbidden Island 2_22a

Now I am working on the tutorial for the palm tree, since there are 3 different types on the island and soon I will post those pictures too.

Edited by Elusys Ra Arwal

I'm a bit late to the party but this is absolutely phenomenal! Makes me want to be a pirate and live there! Fantastic!

And Elusys Ra Arwal, I've been using your cannon designs as inspiration, I hope that's ok!

On 4/4/2021 at 10:22 PM, VaneStream said:

I'm a bit late to the party but this is absolutely phenomenal! Makes me want to be a pirate and live there! Fantastic!

And Elusys Ra Arwal, I've been using your cannon designs as inspiration, I hope that's ok!

Don't feel late if the builder himself is late to his own party! :pir_tong2:

Anyway I'm very happy that you and other builders use any of my designs. It makes me proud to see what I make implemented in other builds! So, keep on using anything you need, or there wouldn't be a point in sharing our MOCs on here!

On 4/7/2021 at 3:52 PM, Elusys Ra Arwal said:

Don't feel late if the builder himself is late to his own party! :pir_tong2:

Anyway I'm very happy that you and other builders use any of my designs. It makes me proud to see what I make implemented in other builds! So, keep on using anything you need, or there wouldn't be a point in sharing our MOCs on here!

Thanks Elusys Ra Arwal! I actually prefer many of those brick-built cannon builds to the official cannon mould. :-)

This would look great connected to the Barracuda Bay. I love the whole design and works quite well. I will definitely use some of these ideas expanding the set. The bridge and shack are fantastic.

This is terrific. I look forward to seeing it on Rebrickable when you have time. The original was my favourite set growing up. My daughter loves it now.

Hi seeing this MOC inspired me to finally post to the forum. It’s absolutely gorgeous. Do you think you’ll end up doing some instructions fro Rebrickable at some point? Great work and an inspiration regardless. I’m envious of people like yourself, you have an obvious talent for designing LEGO creations, unfortunately my MOCs are no better at the age of 40 than when I was 11 years old.

Hello, is there a chance to create a PDF manual and parts list? I'd love to buy it
Edited by pitbullbkk