legotownlinz

TrixBrix introduces injection molded double straight track

https://trixbrix.eu/en_US/p/Double-Straight-Track-Set-10-pcs/288

I really appreciate this product. I contacted the Lego support a few months ago to buy 250 pcs of straight tracks, but their offer was more expensive than just buying 60205 and disposing the curved tracks.

I wonder how Lego will respond, now that their switches AND tracks are inferior to third party products. I think their only chance to disrupt the market is to make vastly improved tracks, e.g. a dual molded track that looks much better. Otherwise, they are out of business in the AFOL market. Will you still buy Lego track? I won't.

21 minutes ago, Lok24 said:

Hi, good news.

Where did you read "injection molded"?

https://www.facebook.com/trixbrix.eu

We are very proud to introduce, just in time for the Halloween Promo ?, our second injection molded product - The Double Straight Track!
It was one of the most highly requested items by our customers. Thanks to the increased length, building large layouts is now much easier. Storage is also more convenient. Double Straight Tracks work beautifully with our Supports Bundle product as well and allowing for a gentler slope or using less supports.
The track has been designed and made to the highest quality standards and looks gorgeous ?
We know that getting a lot of straight tracks is quite difficult and expensive. The new ones are only available in a set with the R40 curves and rather useless flex tracks - this is such a waste! Bricklink prices are also quite high. In contrast, our Double Straights are priced at 2.3EUR per piece which is more than 30% less than the average Bricklink price. We sell them in packs of 10.
Oh, did we just mention a Halloween Promo ?? Use „hw2020” during checkout to get a 10% discount. Promo ends this Sunday.
The Double Straight Tracks are available immediately at https://trixbrix.eu

By the way, I've ordered some of these tracks. Will let you know about the quality once I've received them.

Wow. This is sending shivers down my spines, and I know that sounds ridiculous. 23 Euros, or around 30 I think with shipping for 256 cm of track is quite the bargain - I'll definitley order some this weekend, especially with the discount. 

Still, I doubt that Lego itself will change too much in the near future, I just expect the pack with curves and flex track to retire due to the negative feedback. Official tracks like the ones from TrixBrix are just too niche, I guess.... but since the Krododil appears to be very popular, who knows what's next?

29 minutes ago, Amoreternum said:

Still, I doubt that Lego itself will change too much in the near future, I just expect the pack with curves and flex track to retire due to the negative feedback. Official tracks like the ones from TrixBrix are just too niche, I guess.... but since the Krododil appears to be very popular, who knows what's next?

It's not only the stupid packaging. Lego's tracks are optically and functionally lacking. Dual-color for sleepers and rails plus single-stud-wide sleepers would be the way to go. The geometry of the switches needs to be improved and the switch levers don't work well and break easily, BrickTracks shows how to do it better. 

Edited by legotownlinz

I had hoped for an injection-molded R104 curve next, but I also spontaneously ordered the long straights. In the summer, as a bonus to the Bricktrain Award, I received the 1/2 straight in injection molding technology, they were perfect. So I have no doubts about good long straights.

Thomas

15 minutes ago, legotownlinz said:

You can get it from BrickTracks.

Phew - I missed out that one completely.

That is (probably was - as said, I missed that) sort of a game changer, isn't it? I mean, once they do really live up to expectations - well then ...

Best
Thorsten

20 hours ago, legotownlinz said:

I wonder how Lego will respond, now that their switches AND tracks are inferior to third party products. I think their only chance to disrupt the market is to make vastly improved tracks, e.g. a dual molded track that looks much better. Otherwise, they are out of business in the AFOL market. Will you still buy Lego track? I won't.

While more track options are great for us, I suspect Lego will simply shrug. Given the track offerings Lego has, they clearly do not care about selling track.

22 hours ago, Toastie said:

Phew - I missed out that one completely.

That is (probably was - as said, I missed that) sort of a game changer, isn't it? I mean, once they do really live up to expectations - well then ...

Best
Thorsten

Seriously?! Wow. They have been out for over two years now I think? Coaster (the owner of BrickTracks) is even a recurring member here at EB. Anyways, they are awesome. And yes, they have been a game changer. Both the R88, R104 and R120's that BrickTracks has. In fact, our current layout doesn't use any R40 at all anymore, it's all BrickTracks curves:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154406928@N06/50529030252/in/pool-14710832@N25/

Edited by raised

2 hours ago, raised said:

Seriously?! Wow. They have been out for over two years now I think? Coaster (the owner of BrickTracks) is even a recurring member here at EB.

Naa - meant something entirely different - mixed up all the Brics Brix Trax and Tracks combinations, chip in xx and so on. I am a 9V person - 100%, so I am simply not interested that much in Rxyz curves. And don't have the space to do them. So plain vanilla 9V straight and neck-breaking radii 9V curves it is for me.

What I meant was: Injection molded pieces of track. I am very, very closely following what @coaster is doing for the community - and that is truly awesome, don't get me wrong. It must be so much work and pain ... I also believe that "getting rich" is not target #1 (nor target #100) on his route. When I saw his proposal for power pickups a couple of days ago I was really excited, but I understand that this doable (with his skills) but maybe even worse, cost-wise.

The thing is: How can these folks at TrixBrix all of a sudden make injection molded straights at that price? I mean, this is done in China, right? This is what I understood from coasters posts here - but surely I don't even have a clue.

The game-changing bit came from: So other folks are doing this now as well? Injection molding? 3D printing with stealing designs is one (horrible) thing, but seemingly "easy to do" (I will never know how to do that) thing - but having someone injection mold stuff is another, isn't it? Hell, I don't know. I was just very much surprised by "here they are: Straights". I thought exactly that, the injection molding process takes it to an entirely different level.

Best
Thorsten   

2 minutes ago, Toastie said:

The thing is: How can these folks at TrixBrix all of a sudden make injection molded straights at that price?

Did you notice the packaging with the transparent window? This makes no sense for their web store, the only explanation is that they want to sell to retailers. If the quantities are high, the molds will pay off quickly. The market for LEGO accessories gets more and more professional, imho there won't be much market share left for hobbyists/semi-professionals soon. 

14 minutes ago, legotownlinz said:

Did you notice the packaging with the transparent window?

I did, as you pointed to it. This was also part of my "game changing" comment.
Either "something" is happening here or some folks have simply too much money at their hands - not knowing to do what with it - other than this. Which I doubt.

Best
Thorsten

Edited by Toastie

3 hours ago, Toastie said:

I am a 9V person - 100%, so I am simply not interested that much in Rxyz curves. And don't have the space to do them. So plain vanilla 9V straight and neck-breaking radii 9V curves it is for me.

Best
Thorsten   

OKBrickWorks, owned by Andy Mollmann, has 3D printed wide radius 9v tracks.

They're available from his eBay store, or from BrickTrainDepot.

As far as the original topic...

I'm quite impressed by TrixBrix ever expanding selection. One of these days, they may get quite a bit of money from  me.

Though BrickTracks definitely gets their share first! 

16 hours ago, legotownlinz said:

Did you notice the packaging with the transparent window? This makes no sense for their web store, the only explanation is that they want to sell to retailers.

I don't know, the packaging is still a value added element of the product for direct to consumer shipping. You open the shipping package and bam, professional packaging. Big impact. Its been a few years but if I recall the SBrick came with a complicated packaging. I'm sure TrixBrix has enough sales history to know that the huge up front cost of the molds will be more than recovered from savings on a per unit basis. Some of that savings they are turning around into packaging. I can't imagine you will see TrixBrix stocked at your local store though, they might be aiming for the vendor market at lego shows though.

I am interested in the TrixBrix Boom Barriers Combo - are there any reviews other than the YouTube video?

Has any one used it?

Are there any other similar products available? 

I received my order today and I'm very satisfied with the quality. The color is identical to Lego, the surface is a bit more glossy, the clutch power is fine and the tracks are perfectly flat, better than Lego's. The only noticeable difference is the logo on the studs.

5 hours ago, legotownlinz said:

I received my order today and I'm very satisfied with the quality. The color is identical to Lego, the surface is a bit more glossy, the clutch power is fine and the tracks are perfectly flat, better than Lego's. The only noticeable difference is the logo on the studs.

thank you

On 10/30/2020 at 12:41 PM, legotownlinz said:

https://trixbrix.eu/en_US/p/Double-Straight-Track-Set-10-pcs/288

I really appreciate this product. I contacted the Lego support a few months ago to buy 250 pcs of straight tracks, but their offer was more expensive than just buying 60205 and disposing the curved tracks.

I had to buy straight track from china to get it cheap. Plastic has a lighter density and less clutch power, but the train runs fine over it

On 10/31/2020 at 2:25 PM, Toastie said:

some folks have simply too much money at their hands

Someone won the lottery and decided to spend the winnings on something other than yachts and cool cars.

Got to packs and added them to my layout. Realy great! Looking forward to more injection mould tracks.