Hey,

As you might be aware, Christmas is coming up ;)

I'm having a hard time deciding on some things, and I need your opinions. Of the three options of:

42096 Porsche 911 RSR

42081 Volvo Concept Wheel Loader ZEUX

or 42112 Concrete Mixer Truck

Which one do you recommend, and why?

Thanks!

~Snazzy

42096 Porsche 911 RSR - Well suited for the shelf and for the construction of their cars

42112  Mixer Truck - Beautiful model, on the shelf is also good! But not as a resource set.

42081 Volvo Concept Wheel Loader ZEUX - Controversial set, I don't like it. You can take it if you really like it yourself or need some details from it)

Of all three sets, my favorite is the Porsche!)

I bought the Porsche. Built it, and sold it very soon after as it really wasn't for me. 

Features:

The same differential and 6 cylinder engine as since 30 years

Very wobbly suspension

Steering with ridiculous play due to so many gears between the rack and the steering wheel.

Many many gaps in the bodywork and an invisible floor.

Really ugly headlights.

That's all.

That being said - if you want a shelf stander, it's ok.

I can't really decide for you but I'll talk about the features of each set:

Reasons to buy 42096:

Beautiful display piece
Fun build
Great design
Reasonable price, especially for a licensed set
Currently on sale!!!

Reasons not to buy 42096:

Poor playability

Reasons to buy 42081:

Absolutely fantastic design
Big improvement over 42030 in terms of looks
It's a huge model!!!

Reasons not to buy 42081:

Pricing is on the high side

Reasons to buy 42112:

Great color scheme
Includes many useful pieces
Amazing playability

Reasons not to buy 42112:

Hope that helped :wink:

Edited by JintaiZ

I guess it depends what you like and what you are looking for. Of the three sets I only have the Porsche and I found it rather disappointing, but maybe it is unfair when you compare it to the Pimp up my Porsche version. Personally I would go for the Cement mixer ...

42096 if you really like cars. As others have mentioned it’s not quite perfect. I’d recommend 42112 as a general Technic experience and it has some interesting/new parts and useful colors. I never liked 42081 so someone else can comment on that.

Having just finished the mixer and I have all three of the mentioned sets.

I think for build experience I would pick the mixer. It was a much better set than I expected. Not a bunch of panels and pretty fun to put together, also turns out it looks much better in real life, than pictures.

For parts the the loader, although I did enjoy building it too, I bought it mostly for the parts. Many seem to actually loath that set but I liked it.

As far as the Porsche again if you want parts, other than that it is pretty much run of the mill and to me anyway rather lackluster.

1 hour ago, Michael217 said:

42096 Porsche 911 RSR - Well suited for the shelf and for the construction of their cars

42112  Mixer Truck - Beautiful model, on the shelf is also good! But not as a resource set.

42081 Volvo Concept Wheel Loader ZEUX - Controversial set, I don't like it. You can take it if you really like it yourself or need some details from it)

Of all three sets, my favorite is the Porsche!)

That's great! What did you mean by resource?

1 hour ago, amorti said:

I bought the Porsche. Built it, and sold it very soon after as it really wasn't for me. 

Features:

The same differential and 6 cylinder engine as since 30 years

Very wobbly suspension

Steering with ridiculous play due to so many gears between the rack and the steering wheel.

Many many gaps in the bodywork and an invisible floor.

Really ugly headlights.

That's all.

That being said - if you want a shelf stander, it's ok.

It has more features than the 42093, for sure ;)

I was browsing the forum and found a HOG mod for it, maybe I could try that...

1 hour ago, JintaiZ said:

I can't really decide for you but I'll talk about the features of each set:

Reasons to buy 42096:

Beautiful display piece
Fun build
Great design
Reasonable price, especially for a licensed set
Currently on sale!!!

Reasons not to buy 42096:

Poor playability

Reasons to buy 42081:

Absolutely fantastic design
Big improvement over 42030 in terms of looks
It's a huge model!!!

Reasons not to buy 42081:

Reasons to buy 42112:

Great color scheme
Includes many useful pieces
Amazing playability

Reasons not to buy 42112:

Hope that helped :wink:

Thanks! that did help!

1 hour ago, WvG_853 said:

I guess it depends what you like and what you are looking for. Of the three sets I only have the Porsche and I found it rather disappointing, but maybe it is unfair when you compare it to the Pimp up my Porsche version. Personally I would go for the Cement mixer ...

I haven't found the Pimp Up My Porsche for 42096 yet, or were you meaning the 42056 one?

37 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

42096 if you really like cars. As others have mentioned it’s not quite perfect. I’d recommend 42112 as a general Technic experience and it has some interesting/new parts and useful colors. I never liked 42081 so someone else can comment on that.

Given that the 911 is one of my favourite cars... ;)

My only prior Technic experience is 42093, 42107, and 9390, based on that, which would be a good one to start with?

And thank you all for the input! I heard that 42096 is being retired at the end of the year, and 42081 is already retired, however I found it for MSRP -- I might go for those first, and use up some gift cards (and Barnes and Noble member discount) on the 42112.

18 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

Having just finished the mixer and I have all three of the mentioned sets.

I think for build experience I would pick the mixer. It was a much better set than I expected. Not a bunch of panels and pretty fun to put together, also turns out it looks much better in real life, than pictures.

For parts the the loader, although I did enjoy building it too, I bought it mostly for the parts. Many seem to actually loath that set but I liked it.

As far as the Porsche again if you want parts, other than that it is pretty much run of the mill and to me anyway rather lackluster.

Thanks! If you wouldn't mind, could you measure the tyre diameter on both 42096 and 42081? Thank you, it's a curiosity to me ;)

37 minutes ago, Snazzy Bricks said:

My only prior Technic experience is 42093, 42107, and 9390, based on that, which would be a good one to start with?

The 42112 may be the least complicated one, but it's still enjoyable to build :wink:

I built the 42083 as my second Technic set, so I believe you should be fine with all of them :tongue:

Outside of technic, I'd go for 21309. It's a perfect set, at least in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Snazzy Bricks said:

Given that the 911 is one of my favourite cars...

Go for it then! I think you’re ready for a challenge since you’ve built some smaller sets before.

6 hours ago, Snazzy Bricks said:

I haven't found the Pimp Up My Porsche for 42096 yet, or were you meaning the 42056 one?

I meant indeed the 42056. There is a whole thread with MODs to the 42096 that can inspire you.

A tip when buying Technic sets: look if there are alternative models on Rebrickable. Lego seems to have given up unfortunately on providing B models, but luckily others have stepped in. This adds value for money to the sets, extends the building pleasure and you become a better builder. The instructions are often more challenging and therefore more fun.

have you considered 42111? In terms of car features, it has 42096 beat, more interesting suspension and all. 42096 is a decent display piece, but it gets blown away by 42056

20 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

have you considered 42111? In terms of car features, it has 42096 beat, more interesting suspension and all. 42096 is a decent display piece, but it gets blown away by 42056

I think 42111 is a good set, but I doubt ordinary technic fans will buy it...

42115 blows 42056 away, but then 42083 blows 42115 away...

Edited by JintaiZ

6 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

The volvo is a great parts set. But not a set set. Just like the BWE. 

BWE?

2 hours ago, vectormatic said:

I have looked into 42111, watched Sariel's review, etc. I'm disappointed by how far the body overhangs the wheels, and the back window is, well, kind of a joke. If 42056 was still available and I found it for a discount, that might be an option

2 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

I think 42111 is a good set, but I doubt ordinary technic fans will buy it...

42115 blows 42056 away, but then 42083 blows 42115 away...

:excited: I'm not 18 :P

In all seriousness though, I'm not ready to spend $200+ on a single set.

2 minutes ago, Snazzy Bricks said:

:excited: I'm not 18 :P

In all seriousness though, I'm not ready to spend $200+ on a single set.

And I'm not either... :tongue:

Maybe consider 42110? It's only $169 on amazon.

Just now, JintaiZ said:

And I'm not either... :tongue:

Maybe consider 42110? It's only $169 on amazon.

Maybe, I'll have to see if my brother is buying it or not, he said he might

I wanted to add: 42098 for $165 on amazon. There's a lot of great deals going on!

1 minute ago, JintaiZ said:

I wanted to add: 42098 for $165 on amazon. There's a lot of great deals going on!

That one I have considered! I found it for $140 on Zavii, I haven't looked into it much though, and given that i have 42093, it could be nice. Where to store it though... :D

Edited by Snazzy Bricks
Oranges

Just now, Snazzy Bricks said:

Where to store it though... :D

Display it for bragging rights :laugh:

In all seriousness, the truck and the trailer could be separated, so you should be fine.

6 minutes ago, Snazzy Bricks said:

That one I have considered! I found it for $140 on Zavii, I haven't looked into it much though, and given that i have 42093, it could be nice. Where to store it though... :D

I'm not sure if Zavvi sells real stuff though... checkout bricklink for even cheaper prices!!!

Link - Only $93!!! https://store.bricklink.com/Dinar?itemID=219939429#/shop?o={"invID":"219939429"}

Edited by JintaiZ

Just now, JintaiZ said:

I'm not sure if Zavvi sells real stuff though... checkout bricklink for even cheaper prices!!!

I wasn't sure about Zavii

Bricklink I'd need one of my parents to make an account