Sign in to follow this  
Hinckley

VW Beetle

Thanks to legoman who spotted these in whung's folder:

0_10187.jpg

10187-0000-xx-13-1.jpg

10187-0000-xx-33-1.jpg

Hey, what´s that? A gold mine for dark blue plates.... very nice, and a cool brick builded beetle indeed! :cry_happy:

Thanks, legoman and whung! :sweet:

The box-set certainly looks real impressive. This is one cool classic car. :blush:

Whung, legoman, thanks for sharing! :sweet:

The set doesn't look that bad but it doesn't really have the rounded feel of a VW Beetle at all in other words is to blocky :thumbdown:

I'm not so sure about the roof, but otherwise it's great and you can always turn it into a convertible :wink:

Cheers,

Ralph

The set doesn't look that bad but it doesn't really have the rounded feel of a VW Beetle at all in other words is to blocky :thumbdown:

Having seen one "in the flesh" as it were, I was pretty impressed with the detail and "coolness" factor. Can't comment on the build however as Steve, John and Robin hogged all the fun. :tongue:

2237437409_a704ac5b42_m.jpg

[pic=link]

Like tedbeard, I've also seen in it live in all it's plastic fantasticness. I on the other hand, had it all for my self - even if it was pre-built for display.

Let me assure you, tt's in no way a budget model. There details in places you'll never look, the luggage compartment is detailed, and it is just overall nice to look at. Steering doesn't work, as the steering wheel is attached with a click-hinge located somewhere close to the floor. Converting it to a soft-top convertible should be a breeze, altough I'll won't be amazed when someone predictably does so. There's not much SNOT in it, if I remember correctly, but I'd still say it's a fairly advanced build, and something very nice to look forward to.

And it'll be a perfect gift to just about any VW Typ-1 fanatic out there, I'm sure of it.

I like it's blocky look, it looks more like a proper lego set.

Looks promising, but I'd like to see it up close in person. I've been pleased with 95% of LEGO's efforts recently and this looks to continue that trend so I'll probably pick one up.

Any idea on when it releases?

The design looks accurate, the colors are fine, but the lack of steering is completely unacceptable, in my opinion. Yes, I know it could be modded in, and this is a collector's set not meant for playability. However, for the money, this Volkswagen should have every bell and whistle available. The Model Team 5541 Blue Fury hot rod cost $40 and included steering, so why doesn't this far larger model? :thumbdown:

The design looks accurate, the colors are fine, but the lack of steering is completely unacceptable, in my opinion. Yes, I know it could be modded in, and this is a collector's set not meant for playability. However, for the money, this Volkswagen should have every bell and whistle available. The Model Team 5541 Blue Fury hot rod cost $40 and included steering, so why doesn't this far larger model? :thumbdown:

I suspect it has to do with clearance. If you want wheels that are as wide as these to steer, you'll need quite a bit of room inside the fender and you'll also need a bigger gap between the wheel and the edge of the fender. That would interfere with the look of the model.

Cheers,

Ralph

Very nice. Ihave to say it would look alot better with some 1x2 slopes to clean up some of the lines and give it a more sleaker look.

I'm turning mine into a drag bettle!