1280x720.jpg

Hello, I am sharing here an idea I got over a year ago: fix the paddles to the steering wheel in order to make up space and therefore make the supercars' interiors much cleaner. The idea might seem a bit complicated but thanks to the use of a mini LA, it somehow becomes much easier. Putting the LA through a mini turntable allows to transmit a translating movement while still allowing the mini turntable and therefore the steering wheel to rotate. The design I am showing uses @Didumos69 stepper. I am quite happy with how it it performs and how it looks even though it may not look like that inside a car. The process behind this took about 200 different designs and iterations and I was helped by @T Lego who will use this idea in his car...

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

Instructions : https://bricksafe.com/files/Charbel/instructions_charbel_imad.pdf

Edited by Charbel

Looks great!

It looks almost like you could have a height adjustable steering wheel here?

Does the use of a LA cause the steering wheel to telescope towards the driver at all?

51 minutes ago, amorti said:

Does the use of a LA cause the steering wheel to telescope towards the driver at all?

Was wondering the same for a moment, but it's not possible. The LA's orange axle will rotate exactly as the head rotates.

59 minutes ago, amorti said:

No it does not. Like astyanax said, the LA input will rotate the same amount as the LA's head so no extension of the LA. If the Axle were to be fixed, the steering wheel would remain in place - it's not connected to the head of the LA. In stead the paddles would go out of allignment with the stepper slighly if you'd turn the wheel.

Great idea!

Steering needs to be downgeared somewhere later. This ratio could be too fast even for some sports car.

One thing is still to do….

Spoiler

Build the moc that comes together with this great idea :classic:

Edited by steph77

Neat! Cool to see the linear actuator being used in such an unusual way!

I don't suppose it is possible to make the steering column any shorter?

Wow, ingenious solution! I dont use sequential transmissions in my cars, but I would try to use this if I would build a modern supercar :wink:

Edited by Gray Gear

Machine Beauty

"When something works well, you can feel it; there is a sense of rightness to it. We call that rightness beauty, and it ought to be the single most important component of design."

- David Gelernter

Edited by Didumos69

Very great solution! 

There seems to be a small mistake/inconsistency in the pictures: The hole of the connector No. 2 in front of the device sometimes is orientated vertically (and holds a pin) and sometimes is orientated horizontally. The former orientation seems to be correct, imho.

3 hours ago, SNIPE said:

Is there a way to have the paddles return to centre when pulled?

Yes, however adding such application requires a lot of extra input force on the paddles, especially with this stepper design, which would make playing not very satisfying. Charbel and I have expirimented with many different stepper mechanisms that returned to the centre but those were either too bulky or weren't reliable enough. 

I built this mechanism abnout a month ago, it looked and worked fantastic, but when I installed it into the car, I discovered two issues:
- I can swith only in one direction, forward, I wasn't able to return previous position.

- When connected to the gearbox it has not enouth power to swith gears, I have to pull it too hard.

If the second problem may be resilved, I wonder about the first one most of all. Could anybody please explain?

On 10/27/2020 at 11:56 PM, astyanax said:

Was wondering the same for a moment, but it's not possible. The LA's orange axle will rotate exactly as the head rotates.

I confirm that.

UPD: I saw the video once again - it switches in both side, but I/m able to switch only when the left paddle is pushed and the right is pulled (5L white beam is on the bottom).