Bregir

[GoC - The Merchant Marine] Paniote Tartan "Hydra"

It has been long since al'Sayeed arrrived in his homeland of Pan, and little is known of his exploits. However, recently a vessel has arrived in King's Harbour captained by one of the Papadopoulos brothers and bearing news from the lands far away.

50537519621_bc0511e13a_b.jpg

The vessel is a large tartan (class 4) of Paniote origin and can best be described as a mix between a warship and a trader. For most Paniote sailors, the line between corsair and merchant is defined very loosely and depends mainly on the relative strength of a sighted ship.

50537669922_2d974dd3be_b.jpg

Armed with 10 4-pounders it has the firepower of a small navy sloop, and the rather dangerous looking crew is likely to stand up to the shenanigans of any minor privateer.

50536795508_a9fedd26aa_b.jpg

Hassana, Pan

September, 620 AE

To Consul don Montoya,

Honourable master. I can only apologize for my long absence, and hope you shall forgive me. Matters of the most critical nature as pertaining to my family business detains me yet in my homeland, but I trust that the Hydra shall serve as a small compensation in my stead. It has long served my father, and after having been appropriated by my thieving, scheming step brother, I have managed to reclaim her by... means I shall not discuss here. May she serve the estate well.

At your service

Ibn al'Sayeed

An entry for the GoC task 3: The Merchant Marine. It is a class 4, and should tick the box for "historical or exotic rigging type", and will not be given to the crown.

That's a fine ship you got here, the brick bending technique works well to create the sleek line of the particular shape of the hull.:pir-thumb:

Quite a sleek ship you've got here today, @Bregir, the curves look quite excellent. The rigging, and scale for the build makes it look great, and it's always awesome to see more exotic builds on the brick seas!

absolutely beautiful ship. The rigging has some loose ends still but that is about the only negative I can see. Also a cool minifig selection!
!

I don't know anything about ships, but I love the sleekness of that hull. It's sooo smooth! An excellent build, topped off with some beautiful sails.

I like the tartan vessel. Nice construction and the crew fit the ship.

Nice ship! (I expected nothing less from a master shipwright)

@Bregir a question better asked at the shipwrights hall but I am curious as to whether you keep your "bending brick" technique ships assembled for long or you dismandle them soonish after posting them so as not to (possibly) strain the bricks used.

A fine vessel indeed. As others have commented she has very sleek lines and good details on the deck. The pumps and compass box (I cannot think of the proper name right now) are great details to include. I'm not a big fan of the tan plates under the grating as it doesn't capture the dark interior of the lower decks, but I can also see that using black plates might make it too hard to see the grating. Still, it's a nice boat. 

Thank you all for the fine words! The sleekness of the hull is exactly what fascinates me with the Mediterranean ship types - they are so very flimsy in a very elegant way, compared to the opulence of Spanish ships, the practicality of British ships, and the elegance of the French.

I think is one if one of my finer examples of the bend bricks technique, as the tartan hull allowed me to make it with only three sides, so to speak. And the bowsprit integration worked very well too, something than can sometimes be hard to achieve.

11 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Nice ship! (I expected nothing less from a master shipwright)

@Bregir a question better asked at the shipwrights hall but I am curious as to whether you keep your "bending brick" technique ships assembled for long or you dismandle them soonish after posting them so as not to (possibly) strain the bricks used.

Why, thank you sir!

Generally, with my building cadence and my attachment to my vessels, they end up being in the works for very long, and then survive a great deal of time afterwards too.

Generally, most of the bend is based on 2x1 and 3x1 plates, which means it only gives a moderate stress to individual bricks, as most of the bend is in the joints. (In reality similar to the 2x1 brick, 1x1 round brick round tower technique) I have some larger ships in the works with bent sides, but again it is distributed. The challenge is really making the overall structural integrity high enough.

I know Legostone made some tests in some very heavily bent bricks, and just like me, he didn't find much lasting damage.

It may from time to time cost a 1 by X plate or two, but in general I find that form and clutch power is maintained.

5 hours ago, Captain Genaro said:

A fine vessel indeed. As others have commented she has very sleek lines and good details on the deck. The pumps and compass box (I cannot think of the proper name right now) are great details to include. I'm not a big fan of the tan plates under the grating as it doesn't capture the dark interior of the lower decks, but I can also see that using black plates might make it too hard to see the grating. Still, it's a nice boat. 

Thanks. I think you are thinking of "binnacle"?

I see your point - hadn't thought of it that way. Consider the tan the tarpaulin under the grating... :P