As beautiful as it is, not everyone has either the funds nor the display space for the UCS Star Destroyer.  To that end, I offer a highly detailed yet modestly sized alternative that is a modification of an existing set, 75055.

This is a model of Vader's Imperial-I class Star Destroyer Devastator as seen in Rogue One and A New Hope, but can also be reconfigured using easily swapable modular parts into an Imperial-II class Star Destroyer as seen in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.  The original set has had the internal playset removed, a complete ventral hull added with main hangar, detailed engines, and two new command towers.  The model has been slightly enlarged to 1/2700 scale and is 23.5" long.  The command tower, main batteries, and dorsal axial cannons are modular to convert between versions.  The Mk I also has removable waist mounted quad cannons and engine thrust vanes. Completing the model is a display stand and a microscale Tantive IV Corellian Corvette, that while slightly overscale still fits perfectly in the main hangar and can be attached there.  I used photos of the original Devastator filming model from A New Hope and the larger Avenger filming model from The Empire Strikes Back as reference.  More pics available at https://www.flickr.com/photos/rx79gez8gundam/.

50517502997_7b6bafaac6_k.jpgStar Destroyer - 75055 Mod by Justin Davies, on Flickr

50517528552_f0f1fa7c38_k.jpgStar Destroyer - 75055 Mod by Justin Davies, on Flickr

50516627603_d881a0ec8a_k.jpgStar Destroyer - 75055 Mod by Justin Davies, on Flickr

50516635683_300c5d3706_k.jpgStar Destroyer - 75055 Mod by Justin Davies, on Flickr

50517513817_754aa6c492_k.jpgStar Destroyer - 75055 Mod by Justin Davies, on Flickr

50517506782_840bd7eb1c_k.jpgStar Destroyer - 75055 Mod by Justin Davies, on Flickr

50517334901_e2520bc72b_k.jpgStar Destroyer - 75055 Mod by Justin Davies, on Flickr

50517039053_498b023d64_h.jpgLEGO Star Destroyer - 75055 Mod by Justin Davies, on Flickr

Edited by rx79gez8gundam
Updated tags and text

Thanks!  My goal was to offer a highly detailed alternative to the UCS Destroyer, as it's just too big and too expensive for the average person!  I can afford to buy it currently, but I simply have no room to display it if I did.  This model is just under 2' long and takes up far less space, and being based off an existing set offers a good starting point for someone to mod.  There are also few Imperial-II Star Destroyer models out there, both UCS to date have been of the Imperial-I class Devastator.  I made sure to stay away from using exotic parts as well.  I'm working on plans in Stud.io, will be offering them once complete.

ive been looking for something just like this. I want a star destroyer for my collection, but I dont have the space for the UCS one or those 10000+ piece masterpieces.

Since I missed the original posting, I'll say now this mod is amazing and a great way not to fork over piles of credits for the UCS Star Destroyer! Set 75055 really is all around good Star Destroyer you can mod both externally and internally.

It's frame is quite stable compared to the 2006 Star Destroyer, although it lacked the "hangar" and bridge that could hold mini-figures. I'll try to post my 75055 MOC which has a redone frame to accommodate interior sections like hangars, etc.

Anyways, stellar job and I also note you completed the wedge triangle at the bottom, not an easy task!

This MOC is absolutely stunning!  I would definitely be willing to purchase the instructions if they are available.

up until now i was sure that the 75055 is the best looking star wars set ever made (ucs and other irrationally priced mocs do not count...), that is my most loved display item, but now i see it can look even better! 

It seems OP never came up with the instructions, so im afraid i will have to do something very similar soon 

Man this is beautiful, can't look at it enaugh :D 

Posted (edited)
On 10/26/2020 at 8:37 AM, rx79gez8gundam said:

Thanks!  My goal was to offer a highly detailed alternative to the UCS Destroyer, as it's just too big and too expensive for the average person!  I can afford to buy it currently, but I simply have no room to display it if I did.  This model is just under 2' long and takes up far less space, and being based off an existing set offers a good starting point for someone to mod.  There are also few Imperial-II Star Destroyer models out there, both UCS to date have been of the Imperial-I class Devastator.  I made sure to stay away from using exotic parts as well.  I'm working on plans in Stud.io, will be offering them once complete.

Oh my God, Justin, this is the best modification I have seen Off the 75055 which is the best destroyer in my opinion except for the UCS.. completely agree with you on the size problem.

Please release those plans and building instructions !! I will be glad to purchase them and I am sure many others will.

I love the way you solved the engines, which are the ugliest part of 75055.

Congratulations @rx79gez8gundam

Edited by Dgandalf