ReplicaOfLife

[MOC] Bakery & Toy Store

Hello everyone,

this is my latest modular builing, the Bakery & Toy Store:

50528566383_7d79aedd85_b.jpg

Principal design in stud.io was done in 6-7 weeks & finished by the beginning of August. Then I spent another three weeks working out kinks, improving the build etc.
Collecting the parts & ordering all the bones I was missing took another few weeks, and then I had about a month of fun building it (I took my time :classic:)

Basics:

~5500 pieces
4,1 kg
42cm high

As usual, I just had some basic ideas when I started working on this. There were also two parts I wanted to use:
- I was lucky to get a number of 4 x 4 plates in delicious sand-red relatively cheaply at the beginning of the year, so those had to go in!
- and I got a few 32007 (Technic Tread Hub) from a bulk lot I purchased, and when I saw that piece, I immediately pictured it used on a facade somewhere :laugh:

Besides the bakery and toy shop, the building also houses Bennys Robot & Droid Repair Shop and a two-storey apartment

50528565368_239451f702_b.jpg

50529165221_5916a74941_c.jpg

50529445242_ee1c919283_c.jpg

50528563443_d94e2ba287_z.jpg
First time I went for a brick-built lantern.

50529288101_2f1cdd54d1_c.jpg

50529287346_a3a6312b8e_c.jpg

50529285946_498d0fcc1c_c.jpg
The shelves are stacked in the toy store, including lots of Lego!

50529285176_967bb5051a_c.jpg
And lots of delicious stuff can be had in the bakery.

50529441242_64cfbefc4b_c.jpg
Now we enter Bennys Robot & Droid Repair Shop. Benny, being an honorary graduate of the Clarkson School of Engineering, wants to start work on this robot.

50528558103_6231c03784_c.jpg
His colleague would prefer a more delicate approach...

50529281086_f5124699ec_c.jpg
The shop's security system is run from the desk.

50529281776_7464ecd1d8_c.jpg
This is the first floor of the two-storey apartment.

50529280601_a5cb6cf949_z.jpg
The staircase is built sideways (the one leading up to this floor aswell, but I failed to photograph that one properly :look:)

50529280841_db0b322892_z.jpg
The kitchen counter, looking rather unassuming, also features extensive SNOTting within.

50529436692_f7d33637d6_c.jpg
The top floor has the spacious living room with a huge, wall-mounted TV.

50529279116_d6a7954956_c.jpg
Guitar & Amp and another book shelf provide entertainment when you're done with Brickflix.

50528553938_9d13461f80_z.jpg
The guest bedroom doubles as a home gym.

50528564398_bcc256a7ba_z.jpg
Size comparison to the town house from the Book Shop. It's not quite fair, but that was sort of the point :wink:. That being said, I don't think the Town House looks that out of place next to my modular, despite being so much smaller.

As usual, there are more pictures on flickr for anyone who's interested.

I appreciate any comments, praise or critique.

Tobias :excited:

This is absolutely stunning. Masterful combination of building techniques, parts utilization and color choices. Incredibly gorgeous and most excellent work!

That's a really cool building. Many nice ideas and techniques.

How did you get the dark bluish gray book shelf in the living room hold together?

Hallo Tobias,

wonderful/outstanding Building and one of your best ones!

That's one I would love to integrate in my modular collection :-)

Greetings

ThomaS

21 hours ago, koalayummies said:

This is absolutely stunning. Masterful combination of building techniques, parts utilization and color choices. Incredibly gorgeous and most excellent work!

Thank you :blush:. Glad you like it!

20 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Excellent build!

Any photos with other modulars?

Thanks.

No, not yet, just the one with the Town House from the Book Shop.

19 hours ago, peedeejay said:

Said it already but will say it again: Your best build! Very very cool!

Thanks again!

18 hours ago, Nightfall said:

That's a really cool building. Many nice ideas and techniques.

How did you get the dark bluish gray book shelf in the living room hold together?

Thanks!

The 'books' are attached using bricks with stud on side in the pillar on the right. The dark bluish gray shelves are simply 2x2 corner tiles, attached witrh one stud in the back of the shelf. :classic:

9 hours ago, tsi said:

Hallo Tobias,

wonderful/outstanding Building and one of your best ones!

That's one I would love to integrate in my modular collection :-)

Greetings

ThomaS

Thank you very much :)

5 hours ago, jalemac34 said:

Super work, i like all the details, specially this nice facade....

2 hours ago, DodgeDude5498 said:

Very beautiful work! the facade is stunning!

Thank you both!

I'm very happy with how the facade turned out - usually, you have to make compromises at some point, but with this one I found a solution for all the hurdles that popped up :classic:

One word ... Great :classic:
the Front looks great, with those 'architectual' things / techniques and combined with the color.
and the interior looks great too with all those details.

To be honest, your Bakery and Toy store doesn't really fit in with town house from the Book shop. Very simply put, it's so much bigger and has a so much more detailed facade. Well, the backside of the building fits more in with the official modulars, but the front of the building is stunning. First of all, a good picture does a great job, and it's very easy to enjoy all the interesting details and unusual parts that in the end make a great design. I didn't even notice sand red roof details, as I was too occupied with the intricate facade. I like the symmetry of the buiding, SNOT detailing and lots of patterns on the exterior walls. Combining those technic ''pillars'', quarter tiles, grills, round 1x1 plates and the multilayered arches above the store entrance makes a great effect. Also, the lamp post is well built and fits in with the detailed front. Great job also on the interiors, my favourite are probably the bakery and toy store. Congratulations, really well built.

Wow! They should hire you to bring it to market. I really like the outside but Bennies Droid workshop is just to great an idea not to copy from you (I got this years LUGBulk last week so...).

Thank you, whoever did it, for front-paging my MOC :excited:

20 hours ago, neonic said:

One word ... Great :classic:
the Front looks great, with those 'architectual' things / techniques and combined with the color.
and the interior looks great too with all those details.

Thank you. Having not much of a clue regarding architecture, those are the exact terms I use for all the...things :laugh::classic:

20 hours ago, Redhead1982 said:

To be honest, your Bakery and Toy store doesn't really fit in with town house from the Book shop. Very simply put, it's so much bigger and has a so much more detailed facade. Well, the backside of the building fits more in with the official modulars, but the front of the building is stunning. First of all, a good picture does a great job, and it's very easy to enjoy all the interesting details and unusual parts that in the end make a great design. I didn't even notice sand red roof details, as I was too occupied with the intricate facade. I like the symmetry of the buiding, SNOT detailing and lots of patterns on the exterior walls. Combining those technic ''pillars'', quarter tiles, grills, round 1x1 plates and the multilayered arches above the store entrance makes a great effect. Also, the lamp post is well built and fits in with the detailed front. Great job also on the interiors, my favourite are probably the bakery and toy store. Congratulations, really well built.

Thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate it :classic:

I usually keep the back simpler, as all my buildings are displayed on shelves or within display cases where only the front is visible. Plus, having a simpler backside is actually very realistic, as that was the way most architexts went back when real buildings had interesting details on their facades.

In the early stages of design, I just had the usual white standard lamp post in front of the building, but one evening I thought, I'd try something different and created several different lamp designs.  I actually ordered parts to retrofit all my existing modulars with that design.

1 hour ago, JopieK said:

Wow! They should hire you to bring it to market. I really like the outside but Bennies Droid workshop is just to great an idea not to copy from you (I got this years LUGBulk last week so...).

I wish someone did :laugh:

If you do create your own version of Benny's workshop, drop me a line when you've done it, I'd love to see it! I was looking for something other than an apartment (which I like building, but designing them is my least favorite part of doing modulars, tbh) or offices to put on that floor, and one day I looked at Benny's team on my desk, and remembered that I have a couple more of those sets, so in it went. I had tons of fun designing it, it offered so many possibilities to do things that don't usually go into buildings...down to half-built droids in the shelves :laugh:

Many thanks also to @Berthil, @WesternOutlaw, @SATSOK, @Ragana9289 & @CastleBeachFire for your kind comments!

Edited by ReplicaOfLife

I love the NSOT on these of the windows. It's really simple, common pieces used in such a way that's amazing.

On 10/28/2020 at 5:42 AM, Jayne3522 said:

Wow! This is amazing! You are incredibly clever, creative and patient. Just beautiful

On 10/30/2020 at 3:02 PM, Feuer Zug said:

Absolutely wonderful build. Lots of details and NPU. Brick on!

On 10/29/2020 at 8:23 PM, gotoAndLego said:

Really clever parts use and building techniques.

On 10/29/2020 at 4:55 PM, Maple said:

I love the NSOT on these of the windows. It's really simple, common pieces used in such a way that's amazing.

Thanks guys!

I'm really happy withg how the details around the windows worked out, glad you enjoy it, too :)